Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page >

Breaking News: Sears Wins Court Approval, 45,000 Jobs Saved.

Notices
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Breaking News: Sears Wins Court Approval, 45,000 Jobs Saved.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:15 AM
Tennis & Golf Nut
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by GCD1962 View Post
Won't last for 5 years, two max. Lambert doesn't want it succeed he just want to sell diehard and Kenmore names, pocket the cash then abandon the rest. He is scum and got away with it, Suppliers that are owed tons of money are pissed to no end.
^^^^What he said.

2-3 years Max before Sears is history.

Lambert knew the Game well and played it like a Master.

I read somewhere that he would make Billions when all this is finished.

The US Gov't got stuck with all the Pensions.

Watch the movie Wall Street, same **** scenario.

Gordon Gekko wins again.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:27 AM
pewter99
Admin
Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
Oh goodie, they've been granted more time (and money) to run the business even deeper into the ground
this...

Sears hasn't been worth a **** since the early 80's and even then it was starting to go downhill.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:34 AM
pewter99
Admin
Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by jasper711 View Post
It would be nice if these stores could be preserved to meet the second wave of demand that will come when folks get tired of buying stuff on line site unseen.
nah, its so easy to buy online get free shipping and return at the store no penalty why bother. My wife does this all the time with Kohls, buys enough **** to get free shipping and if it doesn't fit or she doesn't like it we just take it and return it at the store which is in the same parking lot as Home depot so its not like we won't be there anyway.

hell, if I need any auto parts for small stuff like oil changes, coolant, brake pads whatever I go online to Advance Auto use their discount code to save anywhere from 10-30%, wait 30 minutes and go pick it up at the store 3 miles away. Its crazy, I can go there and buy it and pay full price or I can order it online and go to the same store and get it for less money. Why would I not?
Old 02-08-2019, 01:38 AM
SPIVET
CF Senior Member

The RadioShack of department stores.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:40 AM
Tennis & Golf Nut
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
Oh goodie, they've been granted more time (and money) to run the business even deeper into the ground
I can't figure out how they stay afloat.

45,000 jobs cost at least $20 Million per week, WTF?

How are they making any money with massive overhead?
Old 02-08-2019, 07:45 AM
69L46
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-19

Originally Posted by GCD1962 View Post
Won't last for 5 years, two max. Lambert doesn't want it succeed he just want to sell diehard and Kenmore names, pocket the cash then abandon the rest. He is scum and got away with it, Suppliers that are owed tons of money are pissed to no end.
Sears' strength was always in it's brand recognition, Diehard, Kenmore, Craftsman, etc. When these started getting licensed to other retailers and the brands sold off, thanks to the dire need for a cash infusion, you knew this spelled serious trouble.

Add in a hedge fund manager as CEO, overweight pension liabilities, disastrous moves regarding Kmart and Lands End, and the decline of brick and mortar overall and it's a recipe for disaster.

Sad ending for a once iconic American retailer, and one which will no doubt be a b-school case study for years to come.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:12 AM
BobG
CF Senior Member

I agree the business is done for. Our local very large store is so low on inventory even making really wide aisles can't hide the "empty" you see and feel when you walk into it. Once they sold Craftsman to Stanley (I buy harbor freight tools before stanley) I lost any reason to shop there. I've been converting my power tools over to dewalt as the craftsman ones wear out or break, and my hand tools to the lowes brand, as they too have a "lifetime of the business" guarantee. For all the good that does..I have some Montgomery Ward sockets from my dad that also had lifetime guarantee..I wonder where I can get one replaced...lol

If our justice system wasn't totally corrupt, they'd just close the business, sell off the assets, pay off the creditors, and the investors get anything that is left over. But that' s not the way it works in liberal la-la land.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:05 AM
dmaxx3500
CF Senior Member

hes just going to sell off everything and make himself ''RICHER''
Old 02-08-2019, 10:41 AM
jasper711
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by pewter99 View Post
nah, its so easy to buy online get free shipping and return at the store no penalty why bother. My wife does this all the time with Kohls, buys enough **** to get free shipping and if it doesn't fit or she doesn't like it we just take it and return it at the store which is in the same parking lot as Home depot so its not like we won't be there anyway.

hell, if I need any auto parts for small stuff like oil changes, coolant, brake pads whatever I go online to Advance Auto use their discount code to save anywhere from 10-30%, wait 30 minutes and go pick it up at the store 3 miles away. Its crazy, I can go there and buy it and pay full price or I can order it online and go to the same store and get it for less money. Why would I not?
Agreed, for routine stuff that fits the template. But I find myself often looking for something I can't identify until I see it. That is a challenge on line.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:20 PM
Walford
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by owebo View Post
not a bad deal for the kenmore brand and diehard rights....

the stores will disappear rapidly....
He paid 5 billion for two companies that haven't manufactured a damn thing in years (decades?).

Anyone buying a DieHard or Kenmore is an idiot for not going directly to Johnson Controls or Whirlpool, etc., and buy the same damn item without the badge-engineering surcharge.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:53 AM
ZL1Vette
CF Senior Member

Sears and JC Penny are toast. We have 1,000 malls in this country and only 300 are economic.

The real estate of Sears and JC Penny is worth a fraction of what it was worth 10-12 years ago.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:31 PM
69L46
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-19

Originally Posted by ZL1Vette View Post
Sears and JC Penny are toast. We have 1,000 malls in this country and only 300 are economic.

The real estate of Sears and JC Penny is worth a fraction of what it was worth 10-12 years ago.

Sears' net liabilities are north of $4B, and the RE holdings are worth maybe $2B?

Lampert is simply trying to milk whatever is left at this point.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:07 AM
BobG
CF Senior Member

The social director's weekend activities included a trip somewhere we hadn't been in nearly three years yesterday: a mall. Amazing how empty it was, how many closed stores, and how desperate it felt inside. it was nice actually seeing a mall without the mall rats be-bopping around though, but otherwise a pretty sad experience.

In this mall is a Sears store that used to be two stories, but the crammed it all into one. I couldn't resist a quick detour to see what that was like. Other than the much smaller sections, it looked just like any sears of recent past. They haven't come to grips with the thing that really is a huge problem: their "sale' prices on stuff all seemed to be higher than anywhere else's normal prices. I felt sorry for the clerks who were clearly hoping for us to buy something. It seemed like the retail version of "dead man walking". I honestly couldn't get out of there fast enough. Definitely not the way to save a business.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:06 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BobG View Post
The social director's weekend activities included a trip somewhere we hadn't been in nearly three years yesterday: a mall. Amazing how empty it was, how many closed stores, and how desperate it felt inside. it was nice actually seeing a mall without the mall rats be-bopping around though, but otherwise a pretty sad experience.

In this mall is a Sears store that used to be two stories, but the crammed it all into one. I couldn't resist a quick detour to see what that was like. Other than the much smaller sections, it looked just like any sears of recent past. They haven't come to grips with the thing that really is a huge problem: their "sale' prices on stuff all seemed to be higher than anywhere else's normal prices. I felt sorry for the clerks who were clearly hoping for us to buy something. It seemed like the retail version of "dead man walking". I honestly couldn't get out of there fast enough. Definitely not the way to save a business.
Recently I went to our local Mall that I had not been to in about 15 years.

I took a short cut thru the Sears store, I couldn't believe how empty the store was of people.

No inventory, Shelves empty, WTF?

I still can't figure out how they make ONE Penny?
Old 02-11-2019, 11:51 AM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

Brick & mortar is dead... if I need something I'll go to Amazon from the convenience of my office and have it in 2 days.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:12 PM
Red99SS
CF Senior Member

Horse drawn carriage shops went out of business when they became obsolete, too. There aren't enough people who demand the instant gratification of the brick and mortar model to keep it alive, two days from Amazon works for most.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:15 PM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Red99SS View Post
Horse drawn carriage shops went out of business when they became obsolete, too. There aren't enough people who demand the instant gratification of the brick and mortar model to keep it alive, two days from Amazon works for most.
It's so much easier to compare things online and then you don't have to make a special trip to the store and deal with humanity.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:18 PM
kittmaster
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder View Post
It's so much easier to compare things online and then you don't have to make a special trip to the store and deal with humanity.
And "impulse" buying is sharply reduced since most are tunnel visioned on the checkout process. In the store, you can "shop around" and see if there is something you "may need".....BTDT when the tools were cool......now, no BS from humans, cheaper, faster.....why would anyone go brick and mortar if they don't have too.....
Old 02-11-2019, 01:56 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
And "impulse" buying is sharply reduced since most are tunnel visioned on the checkout process. In the store, you can "shop around" and see if there is something you "may need".....BTDT when the tools were cool......now, no BS from humans, cheaper, faster.....why would anyone go brick and mortar if they don't have too.....
Back in 1996 I was having a conversation with my Real Estate Lawyer who was young and at the top of his game.

He said by 2020 Sears, JC Penny and all these Big retailers will be history. Everything will be done online.

The only physical stores will be Hair salons, Dentist, restaurants, Auto repair, home services (aka plumber, etc...) places where you have to physically be involved.

The Internet is taking over.

I didn't believe him at the time, lol.

Last edited by Tennis & Golf Nut; 02-11-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:19 AM
kittmaster
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tennis & Golf Nut View Post
Back in 1996 I was having a conversation with my Real Estate Lawyer who was young and at the top of his game.

He said by 2020 Sears, JC Penny and all these Big retailers will be history. Everything will be done online.

The only physical stores will be Hair salons, Dentist, restaurants, Auto repair, home services (aka plumber, etc...) places where you have to physically be involved.

The Internet is taking over.

I didn't believe him at the time, lol.
Well he certainly got the time frame right, does he own a Delorean?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Breaking News: Sears Wins Court Approval, 45,000 Jobs Saved.

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: