Notices
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Question about a student loan that is past due

Old 02-10-2019, 06:01 PM
BobG
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette View Post
The federal student loan program is a crowning example of how a do-good government plan can to horrible damage to the cost of education. Before the federal student loan program, college education was by today's standards....extremely affordable. OK, in retrospect extremely affordable by still at that time, financing a college education was beyond some. The federal loan program allowed anyone who wanted to attend a college on a student loan. However, what happened is well known, the educational institutions just increased their costs and tuition. Staff greatly increased, mostly administrators. Pay and benefits for professors greatly increased. Today's professors are handsomely paid, for little work...sabbatical's..... excellent pensions...and they can't be fired.
Compounding the problem, to attract student's who didn't really want to work, they proliferated meaningless degree programs. As a previous poster alluded to, any degree program with the word "Studies" on it is worthless. A major problem is that unwitting "students" run up massive debts for a worthless degree.
Don't be too sure these were unintended consequences. Once you're that deeply in debt to the government, just how likely are you to be a good little liberal lemming and speak, worship, and do as you are instructed by your new master? There's this book that the liberals hate with their entire being that warns us against this very thing. It also addresses many other subjects the liberals do not want you to know about, because it exposes them for exactly what they are, and tells the truth. I bet you can't guess what book that might be can you?
Old 02-10-2019, 06:24 PM
Red99SS
CF Senior Member

Yeah, I don't buy "unintended consequence" either. On top of being being indebted to the government, you also get to subject them to five years of progressive indoctrination. You have people WILLINGLY attending reeducation.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:59 PM
phileaglesfan
CF Senior Member

You don't want to owe the govt as their range of ways to collect is very large. That is why the Dems are trying to allow govt loans not to be paid off. I know someone that racked up $100k in loans because he thought Bernie was going to bail him out. Well two masters degrees in music and video game design later he is still broke.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:54 PM
Red99SS
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan View Post
You don't want to owe the govt as their range of ways to collect is very large. That is why the Dems are trying to allow govt loans not to be paid off. I know someone that racked up $100k in loans because he thought Bernie was going to bail him out. Well two masters degrees in music and video game design later he is still broke.
I desperately want to see one of these "student loan forgiveness" progressives in a town hall or something have somebody ask them "What about the people that paid their bills, do we get a refund?"
Old 02-11-2019, 04:40 AM
tnvette2
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by glbeauchamp View Post
Like the grad with a degree in 16th century French lesbian literature studies and then whines because they can't find a job in their chosen field.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:25 AM
mrvette
CF Senior Member

Picking up on this trend in the conversation.....I have been saying for some decades now...that ALL college that gets a dime worth of tax break , much less support.....should be severely restricted to teaching.....

HARD SCIENCE, Engineering, Business/law/fin/econ/mktg.......

Textbooks should be priced at maybe as high as 50 bux, and I"m being generous...20 is more like it.....

as if any textbook is not better off on the .net anyway.....looked up for FREE......

ART and FullOsoapy majors can get their worthless degrees from any online 'college'.......for FREE, same for any other liberal farts degrees/fields of study....
Old 02-11-2019, 08:51 AM
chiefttp
CF Senior Member

The theory behind these liberal “Do Good” programs is called the politics of good intentions. Liberals have good intentions, like free college, free health care, etc etc...the Problem is they rarely mention the unintended consequences of their ill conceived programs. I was a poly-s I major in College and we studied many of these type of liberal programs. My Lib professors rarely mentioned the results, often opposite of their goals (like the student loan program) its all about how good they feel about helping people , regardless if they hurt people instead. Clueless.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:26 PM
phileaglesfan
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Red99SS View Post
I desperately want to see one of these "student loan forgiveness" progressives in a town hall or something have somebody ask them "What about the people that paid their bills, do we get a refund?"
Exactly, they can work harder for scholarships. My daughter had a 1/2 scholarship to participate in band as she was quite good. She declined it stating it is too much work, so I declined to pay for her remaining part of her college.

Now people can just have some kids to not pay taxes,even on 6 figure incomes.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:43 PM
Mr D.
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Humanoid 2.0 View Post
They must have went to a sucky school, why not just adjust your withholding so you don't get a return
Funny, I was thinking the same thing they must be some stupid liberal MF'er.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about a student loan that is past due

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: