Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page >

1,000 scientists go public with doubts on evolution

Notices
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

1,000 scientists go public with doubts on evolution

 
Old 02-10-2019, 04:50 PM
  #21  
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member
 
PatternDayTrader's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Lansing MI and Houston TX
Posts: 8,396
Thanked 711 Times in 550 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by theamcguy View Post
I think natural selection is real. The survivors of a species pass on those traits that have allowed them to survive improving the survival rate of said species. But there is such an easy logical argument to disprove evolution whereby we as humans and all life evolved from single cell creatures from the ocean. Why did it stop? If evolution is the deal just because humans are here does not mean the process stops, it continues. Everybody is looking for the link between man and monkeys, but it should still be here. Monkeys should still be evolving along with everything else on the planet. Evolution has no time table. Just because humans arrived the process should not have stopped and we should be evolving into something else. The process should still be going on and all of the intermediate steps should still exist.

Thee's another thing that bothers me about this whole evolution deal. According to evolutionists there was this "soup" floating around a bolt of lightening and BINGO we are here. Well why is it the first time we had the soup and BINGO a bolt of lightning we got Dinosaurs? Same soup, same bolt of lightning, one time Dinosaurs, one time us. Seems to be to a bit more involved than what they are telling us.

On the same note when they talk about Global Warming and how much time we have left, Al Gore in the 90s gave us 10 years and now AOC is giving us 12 years. Obviously these people never read any books. The last life form that disappeared due to Climate Change beyond their control was the Dinosaurs. There was an event (a meteor) or a series of events (meteor + volcanic eruptions) that caused the climate to change and BINGO no more Dinosaurs. It's the time line that's all screwed up. Man in all of our forms, has been on the earth for 200,000 years. Dinosaurs were on the earth for 250,000,000 years; we are relatively new comers to the neighborhood. But when the famous Meteor hit around the Yucatan peninsula it took the Dinosaurs 65,000 years from that point before they were finally extinct. I gotta figure we have a bit of time to figure out best how to handle Global Warming. If you read the press you'd think the Meteor hit and within a few years the Dinosaurs were all dead. It took 65,000 years or 1/3 of the time man has been on the planet. If people can live and survive above the Arctic Circle or above 12,000 ft in the Andes Mountains, a few degrees of temperature warmup really is not going to bother us. We are a hardy species despite what the news keeps telling us.

See the bolded print ? Keep thinking about that, along with this. Female monkeys are not selective when it comes to finding a mate, and while the dominant male chases the subordinates away, the female monkey will mate with any male. Female humans are selective. The selectivity of the female human has advanced our species further and faster than any other species. This also explains quite a lot of the behaviors of man.
PatternDayTrader is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 04:54 PM
  #22  
Platoface
CF Senior Member
 
Platoface's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2002
Location: Donald Trump is an American hero. AR
Posts: 50,071
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Default

Originally Posted by jnb5101 View Post
You're spending too much time in the casinos, Jen. Come out and feel the sunshine. Let the rays of truth enlighten you.

The details of these "theories" may be tweaked by improved scientific techniques, but the "theories" hold true.
That is why they are theory and not “settled science”.
Platoface is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 05:05 PM
  #23  
Red99SS
CF Senior Member
 
Red99SS's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: Monmouth County NJ
Posts: 62,999
Thanks: 0
Thanked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 63 340HP View Post
But, but, but... 97% BELIEVED otherwise (without any valid proof)!

Yup, just a myth told to us in grade school. There was never a period in at least the last two thousands years where flat Earth was a consensus.
Red99SS is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 05:20 PM
  #24  
Kingtal0n
CF Senior Member
 
Kingtal0n's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: miami florida
Posts: 870
Thanked 76 Times in 60 Posts
Default

In tissue engineering I read that evolution cannot account for the complexity of the eye

It is just one of many things that we don't have answers for
Kingtal0n is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 05:47 PM
  #25  
Sifu-TZ
CF Senior Member
 
Sifu-TZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Location: houston texas
Posts: 16,247
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
In tissue engineering I read that evolution cannot account for the complexity of the eye

It is just one of many things that we don't have answers for
we got some answers, actually.

https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/selection/eye/

exactly within the timeline, like every fossil we’ve found.
Sifu-TZ is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 06:06 PM
  #26  
Kingtal0n
CF Senior Member
 
Kingtal0n's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: miami florida
Posts: 870
Thanked 76 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
we got some answers, actually.

https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/selection/eye/

exactly within the timeline, like every fossil we’ve found.
It might be that there is a difference when scientists are making deliberate changes to an eye over some infinite series of mathematically reproducible results,
Whereas the concept of evolution seems to imply that consequent changes to micro-structures and organizational details are actually just mistakes and mutations in sequences of DNA (often meaningless, deleterious, and at random) which are passed on by young organisms where further randomizing (meiosis) of genes and gene dosages will occur, and the fact the organism might not even survive or pass those genes on to offspring.
In other words there is more to it than just 'can the eye evolve if we put all the right parts in it over some time'. Well of course, same as when we put a bunch of atoms into a stormy flask it creates amino acids. But those amino acids don't suddenly start forming complex proteins and skin/hair/nails/teeth/etc all by themselves.
Kingtal0n is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 06:09 PM
  #27  
j-budimlya
CF Member
 
j-budimlya's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2009
Posts: 71
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Then I guess it doesn't make sense that all breeds of the dog have been desendents of wolves.....because they are all so different!
j-budimlya is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 06:18 PM
  #28  
Sifu-TZ
CF Senior Member
 
Sifu-TZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Location: houston texas
Posts: 16,247
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
It might be that there is a difference when scientists are making deliberate changes to an eye over some infinite series of mathematically reproducible results,
Whereas the concept of evolution seems to imply that consequent changes to micro-structures and organizational details are actually just mistakes and mutations in sequences of DNA (often meaningless, deleterious, and at random) which are passed on by young organisms where further randomizing (meiosis) of genes and gene dosages will occur, and the fact the organism might not even survive or pass those genes on to offspring.
In other words there is more to it than just 'can the eye evolve if we put all the right parts in it over some time'. Well of course, same as when we put a bunch of atoms into a stormy flask it creates amino acids. But those amino acids don't suddenly start forming complex proteins and skin/hair/nails/teeth/etc all by themselves.
we’re very close here, except that evolution is suggesting that those small changes you mentioned were, if found to be more successful for the organism, became the change needed to suit a new environment.

vestigial organs are another topic but still very interesting.
Sifu-TZ is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 07:21 PM
  #29  
mustclime
CF Senior Member
 
mustclime's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,227
Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
Default

I find it sad humans have forgotten what they are...... the greatest hot weather mid day persistence hunter on the planet. Our legs are loaded with tendons( springs), we can thermal regulate like no other creature. We can track and predict movement of other animals, important for persistence hunters. Ask yourself why humans have 206 bones and 26 of them are in 1 foot.... why do humans have so many nerves in our feet? People that deni where we came from might as well say we do not need air to live.
mustclime is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 07:33 PM
  #30  
Kingtal0n
CF Senior Member
 
Kingtal0n's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: miami florida
Posts: 870
Thanked 76 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
we’re very close here, except that evolution is suggesting that those small changes you mentioned were, if found to be more successful for the organism, became the change needed to suit a new environment.

vestigial organs are another topic but still very interesting.
in the case of the eye, the majority of those 1 of the "1800 improvements" is not going to confer a sizable change to the success of an organism, especially one of micro-scale.
Nor is it going to matter if the organism dies before transferring it's new genetic materials.
So if you consider that 'winning the lottery' is similar to each 1 of "1800 improvements" at random, and that each winning organism happens to produce offspring with that 1 change (another lottery), and the lineage doesn't die off (resetting the trend of genetic heritages, erasing the lottery 'wins'). Its quite a leap that even with 1,500,000 years of trials for an infinite number of single celled organisms that there would be a string of 1800 lottery winners in one family that survived all that time, from which all multi cellular life is derived from.
Or something like that
Kingtal0n is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:03 PM
  #31  
ifitgoesfast
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2012
Posts: 23,294
Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
Ahahahahaha ******* hilarious creationist website. It’s perfectly fine to question all scientific findings. Darwin was spot on, and that website was a shitshow of misinformation and silliness. No disrespect OP.
So Darwin’s theory “black” people are cliser to apes than “white” people is spot on?
ifitgoesfast is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:07 PM
  #32  
ifitgoesfast
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2012
Posts: 23,294
Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 65Z01 View Post
I wonder if that army of skeptics have views on the vast diversity of species and yet similarity in DNA.

What alternative theory does that "army" present to explain the above?

Sounds like a group of "creationists" at the gate again...
Originally Posted by j-budimlya View Post
Then I guess it doesn't make sense that all breeds of the dog have been desendents of wolves.....because they are all so different!
Many dog breeds were artificially created and not a product of natural and random evolution.
ifitgoesfast is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:09 PM
  #33  
Red99SS
CF Senior Member
 
Red99SS's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: Monmouth County NJ
Posts: 62,999
Thanks: 0
Thanked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mustclime View Post
I find it sad humans have forgotten what they are...... the greatest hot weather mid day persistence hunter on the planet. Our legs are loaded with tendons( springs), we can thermal regulate like no other creature. We can track and predict movement of other animals, important for persistence hunters. Ask yourself why humans have 206 bones and 26 of them are in 1 foot.... why do humans have so many nerves in our feet? People that deni where we came from might as well say we do not need air to live.
Alright, Devil's Advocate. If you were a genetic scientist who could write DNA and your boss came to your desk and said "Create me a bipedal endurance hunter" isn't that exactly what you'd create?
Red99SS is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:34 PM
  #34  
jnb5101
CF Senior Member
 
jnb5101's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: charlotte north carolina
Posts: 7,844
Thanks: 0
Thanked 94 Times in 88 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
Never said they didn't. I happen to believe the theory of evolution is at least partially correct. Evidence all around. Not saying there's anything inherently wrong with the theory, it's just not 100%. We're still learning.


What makes you think we stopped evolving?
Not 100%? either you "believe" in evolution, or you don't.

As far as human evolution having ended, I think the opposite. Quite the opposite. I believe that the human race is "de-volving". Evolution demands one thing, the continuous adaption that ensures survival of those individuals most able to survive. In modern society, almost every individual survives to reproduce and pass on genes to the next generation. There is no more "culling" of the weak or sick due to natural selection. For example, the rate of Type 1 ( not Type 2) diabetes is increasing due in part to genetic components, according to scientists. Before the use of insulin to control diabetes, those children carrying the damaged genes would not have survived to pass on that legacy.
jnb5101 is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:36 PM
  #35  
Over9K
CF Senior Member
 
Over9K's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Posts: 16,956
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jnb5101 View Post
Not 100%? either you "believe" in evolution, or you don't.

As far as human evolution having ended, I think the opposite. Quite the opposite. I believe that the human race is "de-volving". Evolution demands one thing, the continuous adaption that ensures survival of those individuals most able to survive. In modern society, almost every individual survives to reproduce and pass on genes to the next generation. There is no more "culling" of the weak or sick due to natural selection. For example, the rate of Type 1 ( not Type 2) diabetes is increasing due in part to genetic components, according to scientists. Before the use of insulin to control diabetes, those children carrying the damaged genes would not have survived to pass on that legacy.
Oh wow... excrement has evolved to type excrement...

Last edited by Grumpy; 02-11-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Over9K is online now  
Old 02-10-2019, 09:07 PM
  #36  
Sifu-TZ
CF Senior Member
 
Sifu-TZ's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Location: houston texas
Posts: 16,247
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast View Post
So Darwin’s theory “black” people are cliser to apes than “white” people is spot on?
do you know the difference between the term “theory” as it’s used in science v how it’s used in common vernacular?
Sifu-TZ is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 09:22 PM
  #37  
SlixVett
CF Senior Member
 
SlixVett's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2001
Location: Emerald Coast FL
Posts: 169
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by VegasJen View Post
What makes you think we stopped evolving?
Spend an hour in PRC and you'll be convinced...
SlixVett is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 09:23 PM
  #38  
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member
 
PatternDayTrader's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Lansing MI and Houston TX
Posts: 8,396
Thanked 711 Times in 550 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast View Post
So Darwin’s theory “black” people are cliser to apes than “white” people is spot on?
Wtf … where did this come from.
PatternDayTrader is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 09:28 PM
  #39  
johnglenntwo
CF Senior Member
 
johnglenntwo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2010
Location: Beaverton OR
Posts: 7,514
Thanked 141 Times in 125 Posts
Default Excuse me I lied! ;)

I was guessing saying 2000 years of dogs breeding from wolves. It turns out to be many more thousands. Excuse me!
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...f-dogs/484976/

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 02-10-2019 at 09:29 PM.
johnglenntwo is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 09:59 PM
  #40  
Red99SS
CF Senior Member
 
Red99SS's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: Monmouth County NJ
Posts: 62,999
Thanks: 0
Thanked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo View Post
I was guessing saying 2000 years of dogs breeding from wolves. It turns out to be many more thousands. Excuse me!
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...f-dogs/484976/
And the result is that wolves and dogs are still the same animals genetically and can still mate. A Timberwolf and a Chihuahua are still both Canis Lupus. People have been keeping dogs since the hunter gatherer era, it wasn't until farming and grain storage became a thing that people started keeping cats, once humans had grain sitting around the need for rodent removal made cats a pretty obvious necessity.
Red99SS is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1,000 scientists go public with doubts on evolution


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: