Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page >

1,000 scientists go public with doubts on evolution

Notices
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

1,000 scientists go public with doubts on evolution

Old Today, 02:34 AM
30YR W8T
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." Calvin Coolidge

Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
no amount of evidence has ever changed his mind. his arguments are all religious and not at all science based. that's why they're so funny, it's like NBM trying to explain biology.
No amount of reality will change yours, because you choose to remain willfully ignorant about the facts starting you right in the face. Let me ask this again, who is it that keeps bringing religion into the discussion? I know exactly why, because you cannot argue the points made, so in normal failing fashion you move to divert and blathering your assumptions. I think it is pretty clear who can talk about science without needed to copy and past what someone else says. But hey, that's just another one of those relevant facts you choose to embrace willful ignorance about. Gee, how predictable.
Old Today, 02:36 AM
30YR W8T
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." Calvin Coolidge

Originally Posted by shane p View Post
Do you think it happens in a couple weeks time? Come back in a million years, who knows what it may be.
But, but, that was an example of evolution, remember? Am I the one calling it evolution? This is exactly what I am talking about, you people blinding accept without thought or reason, regardless of what is staring you right in the face. It is simply amazing how deeply you have been programmed.
Old Today, 03:33 AM
30YR W8T
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jnb5101 View Post
Tell me again exactly how the bacteria "adapted"?

Do all the bacteria "adapt" and survive? Are some "stronger" that the others? What gives them this "strength"?

Or do only certain bacteria that have a predisposition survive?

Is the predisposition genetic in nature? If it's not, what is it?

If it's genetic, what other term can you use to describe this predisposition other than "evolution"-that is, natural selection of those organisms most suited for survival due to genetic variation?

If it's "adaption", every bacterium would "adapt" and survive. But that's not what we see. We see natural selection and only certain bacterium being resistant to antibiotics.

And over eons, the single celled organisms bind together to form complex creatures. Some cells very slowly diverge into cells that can change their shape, others into cells that react to stimuli and together, eventually, you have a guy sitting at a keyboard arguing about where it all began.
Well lets start with some facts. First the bacteria are still bacteria. Second in the video they said the bacteria expanded until they died, but low and behold they didn't all die, because had they, there would have been none left to mutate. Now keep that thought in mind as we move through each phase of the experiment conducted. At each phase, multiple examples of the bacteria survived and did not die when exposed to ever increasing quantities of the antibiotics mixed in with the agar in the petri dish. Just to make sure you understand, agar is usually made of algae which if the favored medium to encourage the growth of bacteria. Also you need to keep in mind this experiment took about eleven days according to the video. So now a few relevant questions come to mind. First did the agar weaken the antibiotics strength? Second, did time weaken the antibiotics strength? Remember this experiment was performed over eleven days. All of these things may seem trivial to you, but I assure you they are not.

The bacteria adapted because they have the ability to do so, just like every other form of life on this planet. Given the rights circumstances, this ability is triggered and the process begins. Let me say this again, life does not operate in a vacuum and it never has, so for life to survive it must have the ability to adapt to changing environments. If that were not the case there would be no life on this planet.

Did you already forget about your natural "selection" aspect? Did you already forget natural law where the strong survive and weak perish? Part of that process is the ability to adapt and those that can adapt the quickest, have an advantage over that cannot. But you also assume the antibiotics were evenly dispersed across the area where the bacteria were growing. If you go back to the experiment you will find out that is not the case. I would also suggest there were areas where the antibiotics were more concentrated than other areas. So again you must consider all the variables before you can claim something provides positive evidence.

All life has a predisposition to survive, but no matter how strong that will is, under given circumstances that simply may not be possible. Think about it this way, a bug you stepped on if given a chance, would have preferred to live and may even have tried to run, but it simple wasn't fast enough to escape its doom. None of the so-called beneficial genetic mutation made a difference, the bug still died. Its environment just experienced a radical change that it was not prepared for and the luxury of time was simply not available. Now for ***** and giggles lets just assume that bug you smashed into oblivion, just happened to be the prime evolutionary example of its species. Guess what, now the lessor version of that bug species just became the mac daddies. If you believe something like that doesn't happen on a larger scale in nature over eons of time, then you are not looking at this entire topic in an unbiased manner.

You keep trying to act like natural selection is an evolved trait when it is not. Natural "selection" is natural law, where the strong survive and the weak perish. This condition can be found in every species of life we know of, from the simplest to the most complex. Again you should be reminded there is nothing random about natural selection, it is a defined process, not a random one. As far as adaption of the bacteria goes, you are assuming the process should be the same for all of them, which contradicts your previous position of random now doesn't it? I could just as easily argue the ones who didn't survive and didn't adapt quick enough, was because of a mutation that slowed down their adaptation abilities. Prove me wrong.

One final point on this, I hate to burst your evolution bubble, but do you know bacteria are one of the oldest forms of life on the planet? Meaning they have had more time than just about any other life form to become something more than their ancestors were, yet they remain simple bacteria after hundreds of millions of years. But, that lowly bacteria does serve a greater purpose and it can be found in most other forms of life doing important jobs like fighting infections, assisting with digestion and even assisting in synthesizing certain minerals in the body. So now you have to wonder, was bacteria predestined to do exactly what it does considering the important purposes it serves and there is a reason it has not changed?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1,000 scientists go public with doubts on evolution

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: