Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page >

Tesla Model 3 owners vent about polar vortex affecting cars

Notices
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Tesla Model 3 owners vent about polar vortex affecting cars

Old 02-10-2019, 04:40 PM
MickP
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dbdave View Post
Powered by a gas engine.
Great idea, like those little supplementary motors they have for heating on RVs!
Old 02-11-2019, 01:51 AM
woodman300
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Jasil View Post
All within the realm of research go drive a tesla or any high end electric. If you dont like it (at least a little) you are just being salty.

Quick as hell, quiet, and cheap to operate.
when i can charge the battery as fast as gas up a car and they have a thousand mile range, and they dont cost any more, i might buy one.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:56 AM
tnvette2
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nutmeg View Post
I know there are several theories on why batteries do worse in cold weather. I lean toward the theory that a portion of batteries energy comes from the environment. It would be possible to over come the cold problem but will need an additional energy source to warm the batteries.
Build a fire under them.........
Old 02-11-2019, 09:47 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: 1.Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me... 2.Build the WALL!
St. Jude Donor '09

and they'll short out if you drive them in the rain.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:50 PM
SilverC1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by krackenvette View Post
Where does the electricity come from to operate it? Nuclear, Coal, Hydro, Wind?
Mostly coal. Figure out the CO2 emissions required to recharge a Tesla, and you will realize its allot..
Then, how do we make the magical Lithium Ion battery's? Hmm, no environmental impact there, lol.
What do we do when LioN battery's die? Junkyard, thats what as they have not perfected a recycling , yet.
The End result is pretty nice, but there is still energy being used to make it run.
A valid point in many locales, although here in CA we use very little coal for electricity. A fair amount of natural gas, to be sure, but also a lot of hydro, plus non-trivial amounts of solar, and some wind and geo-thermal. Actually, I'm using an alternative electricity provider (with PG&E providing the transport, and the billing). This alternative provider certifies to >50% of their generation being from renewables. Here is a link to their current breakdown for "Light Green" electricity:

https://www.mcecleanenergy.org/50-renewable/

I signed up with them because it was supposed to be modestly cheaper than PG&E. If you wanted to be 100% renewables, the bill was going to be a bit more than PG&E. But I am motivated by cost.... And even the PG&E-sourced electricity is on the order of 1/3 from renewables, presumably using the same categorization of "large hydro" as non-renewable.

Note that "large hydro" (from our larger dams), is actually classified as non-renewable, along with natural gas (I don't agree with that characterization, which seems motivated by environmentalists not wanting large dams....)

Plus, a fair number of EV owners put solar on their rooftops, if they are able to sell excess afternoon solar back to the utility (or, if they also have a battery system for their house).

I'm not an EV owner, personally (although one of our cars is a hybrid), and don't have rooftop solar, either. (Our electrical usage is pretty low, to begin with.) But the economic argument for EVs is fairly decent in our area, in part because of high gasoline taxes..... (which I don't agree with, either, but am stuck with). Of course, at some point CA will start taxing for road usage, even by EVs.....

Last edited by SilverC1; 02-11-2019 at 07:58 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3 owners vent about polar vortex affecting cars

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: