Notices
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

2018 Tax Burden by State

 
Old 02-11-2019, 10:31 AM
  #21  
Axelrod
CF Senior Member
 
Axelrod's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2005
Location: North East
Posts: 7,359
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Pete, so I'm confused about your statement about the owners of your company selling it. Seems like the new owners decided to fire you rather than make the transition?
Axelrod is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:38 AM
  #22  
RandomTask
CF Senior Member
 
RandomTask's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2008
Location: Alexandria VA
Posts: 10,849
Thanked 97 Times in 78 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
You can look it up and will find that most of the red states get more in federal money than they contribute in federal taxes e.g. they are a burden on the union. On the other hand states like California pay in far more than they take out.

The fact is - republicans have engineered the tax legislature that benefits the wealthy residing in the low tax states e.g. Trump and Florida. This is likely to backfire on them in the 2020 election when a lot more GOP senators will be up for the re-election than in 2018.
Originally Posted by The Creeper View Post
The purpose of the state tax deduction on federal taxes was to subsidize the liberal states. It should never have been.

I am in Alabama, fed tax last year had me paying $2900, this year we get back $168. Woo Woo love our President.
Alabama is 4th most dependent upon federal dollars to balance their budget:
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/

They're also the 4th least educated:
https://wallethub.com/edu/most-educated-states/31075/

RandomTask is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:06 AM
  #23  
tistan
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Posts: 780
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
Alabama is 4th most dependent upon federal dollars to balance their budget:
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/

They're also the 4th least educated:
https://wallethub.com/edu/most-educated-states/31075/
They are also the state with the 6th most black Americans.

Last edited by tistan; 02-11-2019 at 11:09 AM.
tistan is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:12 AM
  #24  
Krystal
CF Senior Member
 
Krystal's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,755
Thanks: 0
Thanked 56 Times in 45 Posts
Default


Originally Posted by 69L46 View Post
And it's no surprise which states are in the top 10:



https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...utm_source=Pew

California ranks 11th.

This isn't about avoiding 'double taxation' or any other such nonsense. It's about spreading the profligate government spending over the entirety of the the US population.
Yup...... and there is MORE to that list you posted than you may realize.

Funny thing about our neighbors in Massachusetts is captured in that list, along with Maryland, Minnesota and Utah........All 4 are also on the current list of Wealthiest States.

Mass in particular is a wonderful example of how deductible SALT allows them to fund what-ever they want on the backs of the other states in the Union. Lot's of Wealth in the State, for as long as I can remember income levels consistently in the top 10 and often the top in the 5 in country.

People in Mass once spoke to their tax misery very clearly as they self described as being from TAX-achusetts. That was the 1980s though. A lot has changed in the Bay State since that time. Today the SALT burden isn't in the 10 lowest but they are also no where close to being in the 10 highest anymore. Some where in the middle of pack to day on SALT taxation and actually under the median level for the country as percentage of income taken at the the State and Local level.

The primary reason they end up in the top ten for SALT deductions speaks to the very high income levels in the state. Seems that while the current LIberal/Democrat agenda says, "let's get more progressive on taxes"......"the wealthy need to pay more!" Massachusetts Liberals feel that's a policy best laid out for OTHERS but not people at home.

Sad commentary of Hypocrisy for a State listed as 2019s 8th wealthiest State. Without knowing them as well I' may be out on a limb when I say the same about Minnesota (2), Utah (6) and Maryland (5) but I doubt it.

If wealthy blue States, such as Massachusetts, want a more progressive tax code.....maybe they should be EMBRACING this lack of Deductible SALT rather than Whining about it.

https://www.homesnacks.net/richest-s...erica-1211659/

Last edited by Krystal; 02-11-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Krystal is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:38 AM
  #25  
VITE1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
VITE1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Port St Lucie FL Life is hard, Then you die, FL USA
Posts: 65,426
Thanked 44 Times in 22 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10
Default

Originally Posted by Gryphon_ View Post
That's not accurate and you should know it. The purpose of the deduction was to prevent us paying federal taxes on money that had already gone on state taxes, ie prevent double taxation. Avoiding double taxation is one of the basics of a fair and equitable tax code. I'm pleased that your taxes went down in Alabama. Mine went up (a lot) in California. As a result, I do not share your view of the president.
Boo ******* Hoo. When you vote for and get a government that promises more and more free **** then you get to pay for the "Free ****" in taxes. I, from Florida, should not underwrite your poor choices in your elections.
VITE1 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:39 AM
  #26  
Krystal
CF Senior Member
 
Krystal's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,755
Thanks: 0
Thanked 56 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Here's the other end of the list ......the poorest 10 States in the Union.....and yes Liberal's are generally correct when they suggest an awful lot of these States are pretty reliable Republican electoral votes.

That's just a fact, as inconvenient as that might be for the Conservative view of all this.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/poorest-states-in-america/
Krystal is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:40 AM
  #27  
VITE1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
VITE1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Port St Lucie FL Life is hard, Then you die, FL USA
Posts: 65,426
Thanked 44 Times in 22 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10
Default

Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
Alabama is 4th most dependent upon federal dollars to balance their budget:
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/

They're also the 4th least educated:
https://wallethub.com/edu/most-educated-states/31075/


End all means tested welfare and Shut down the Department of Education.
VITE1 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:46 AM
  #28  
silvertonesx24
CF Senior Member
 
silvertonesx24's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,360
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tistan View Post
That is pretty messed up when property taxes steel 2-4% of your of your home price every year in most states. If you own a $300k home, which is about low to average price in most areas now, you pay $6-12k a year in property taxes. If you make around the $100k a year that is necessary to afford a $300k mortgage, the local and state government take 6-12% of your income. Even if you rent, you still pay that property tax through your landlord. It really affects everyone, and it really pisses me off that there is not one state that has stood up and said a never ending taxing on what people own is immoral and done away with property taxes.
~3.9% here. Knew that going into it but didn't know how much I'd actually regret it. My property tax escrow is nearly as much as my P&I. It suppresses both home values and debt payoff and the state is too busy with $15 min wage (mostly irrelevant) and legal weed (a financial drop in the bucket)
silvertonesx24 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:00 PM
  #29  
pdiddy972
CF Senior Member
 
pdiddy972's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 9,625
Thanked 331 Times in 217 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
You can look it up and will find that most of the red states get more in federal money than they contribute in federal taxes e.g. they are a burden on the union. On the other hand states like California pay in far more than they take out.
Isn't this mostly due to farm subsidies and the like?
pdiddy972 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:28 PM
  #30  
pdiddy972
CF Senior Member
 
pdiddy972's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 9,625
Thanked 331 Times in 217 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tistan View Post
That is pretty messed up when property taxes steel 2-4% of your of your home price every year in most states. If you own a $300k home, which is about low to average price in most areas now, you pay $6-12k a year in property taxes. If you make around the $100k a year that is necessary to afford a $300k mortgage, the local and state government take 6-12% of your income. Even if you rent, you still pay that property tax through your landlord. It really affects everyone, and it really pisses me off that there is not one state that has stood up and said a never ending taxing on what people own is immoral and done away with property taxes.
Agreed. And what's really crazy is that property taxes, being a percentage of the home value, seems to imply a couple of things:

1) The benefit to living in a county is based on the value of your home while living there. I'm pretty sure I still only drive one car at a time, and use the roads, water and other services the same as anyone with a less-valuable house.

2) That the cost to provide services to a county and their X number of homes should scale with the value of those homes and not the quantity of homes. IOW if it takes $X to build and maintain schools, roads, stop lights, water infrastructure, etc for X homes, how does the fact the homes went up 25% over 5 years (but still the same number of homes) in any way impact the costs to provide that infrastructure? It doesn't.

I just bought a new truck a few months ago. I moved to Colorado last year. I check the taxes and think I know what I am going to pay, but nope, the taxes are based on the msrp not the actual sales price of the vehicle, and they have some kind of other 2% tax on a vehicle that is based on the msrp instead of the sales price. I paid $37k for the truck the sticker was $46k, and my taxes ended up being over $4500 when they should be around $3000. I don't understand how that **** is even legal.
Agreed that is BS. Paying a tax on a vehicle every year after you already paid the tax to buy it is nuts.

Originally Posted by The Creeper View Post
Wrong, it just shifts the burden from the state to the federal. It is not fair that you get to deduct just because your state chooses to have high taxes. If your state government that you picked decided to double your tax burden it should not allow you to escape a large portion of your federal taxes, that is on you.




100% The level of taxation in a state is one of the things that *should* drive people to/from choosing to live in certain states. Muting that, by allowing states to get away with increasing their local/state taxes while undermining federal revenues, mutes that.

Last edited by pdiddy972; 02-11-2019 at 12:30 PM.
pdiddy972 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:32 PM
  #31  
69L46
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
69L46's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2000
Location: In the heart of Bulldog territory..
Posts: 26,191
Thanked 52 Times in 32 Posts
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-19
Default

Originally Posted by Mr turbo rotary View Post
The dumb from you is endless:

States don't pay taxes people do.
Just for you:




http://www.statemaster.com/graph/eco...nts-per-capita
And in terms of actual state spending for welfare, the single largest category of federal funding thanks to Medicaid costs, CA and NY receive over 25% of the actual dollars combined....yet somehow the red states are the 'net takers'.
69L46 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:35 PM
  #32  
pdiddy972
CF Senior Member
 
pdiddy972's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 9,625
Thanked 331 Times in 217 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by silvertonesx24 View Post
~3.9% here. Knew that going into it but didn't know how much I'd actually regret it. My property tax escrow is nearly as much as my P&I. It suppresses both home values and debt payoff and the state is too busy with $15 min wage (mostly irrelevant) and legal weed (a financial drop in the bucket)
For you to determine that "drop in the bucket" statement you need to consider more than the net taxes that will come from it. You also need to consider:

- Jobs it creates
- Businesses it creates (impacts on real estate use and value, more office/industrial rental use)
- Money it saves that was previously wasted on police, courts, parole and jails/prisons
pdiddy972 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:51 PM
  #33  
PeterK
CF Senior Member
 
PeterK's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Ellicott city KarlK is my brother
Posts: 67,831
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner
Default

Originally Posted by pdiddy972 View Post
Isn't this mostly due to farm subsidies and the like?
No, it is because they are poor and are on the dole.
PeterK is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 01:30 PM
  #34  
silvertonesx24
CF Senior Member
 
silvertonesx24's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,360
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by pdiddy972 View Post
For you to determine that "drop in the bucket" statement you need to consider more than the net taxes that will come from it. You also need to consider:

- Jobs it creates
- Businesses it creates (impacts on real estate use and value, more office/industrial rental use)
- Money it saves that was previously wasted on police, courts, parole and jails/prisons
Unfunded pension liability in Illinois: $134 billion

Weed is a drop in the bucket.
silvertonesx24 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 03:51 PM
  #35  
pdiddy972
CF Senior Member
 
pdiddy972's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 9,625
Thanked 331 Times in 217 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by silvertonesx24 View Post
Unfunded pension liability in Illinois: $134 billion

Weed is a drop in the bucket.
Why do you right wing always speak of "unfounded liabilities" in terms of decades of expenses, but only discuss sources of revenue in annual terms? So it looks worse? What is their deficit ANNUALLY, and how does it compare to the savings and new tax revenues Illinois will see will legalized pot industry?

https://www.oneillinois.com/stories/...12/legalize-it

"Recreational marijuana could rake in $525 million in taxes, with corresponding job gains and cuts in enforcement costs"

Last edited by pdiddy972; 02-11-2019 at 03:51 PM.
pdiddy972 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 03:57 PM
  #36  
Gryphon_
CF Senior Member
 
Gryphon_'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: Palos Verdes California
Posts: 390
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by VITE1 View Post
Boo ******* Hoo. When you vote for and get a government that promises more and more free **** then you get to pay for the "Free ****" in taxes. I, from Florida, should not underwrite your poor choices in your elections.
The state of Florida inflicts a burden on all the others by allowing almost the entire US military to claim residency while in fact serving elsewhere. Pretty much every US military person I ever met has a Florida driver license and as a result, pays no state taxes wherever they are. So the rest of us pick up the tab.
Gryphon_ is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:03 PM
  #37  
Gryphon_
CF Senior Member
 
Gryphon_'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: Palos Verdes California
Posts: 390
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
Here's the other end of the list ......the poorest 10 States in the Union.....and yes Liberal's are generally correct when they suggest an awful lot of these States are pretty reliable Republican electoral votes.

That's just a fact, as inconvenient as that might be for the Conservative view of all this.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/poorest-states-in-america/
Interesting list but I dont agree with their methodology. If they rank based on a combo of median income, poverty, and unemployment, the median income includes the impact of the other two, so really median income alone would be a better metric. That changes the ranking a fair bit, but still has most blue states pissing on most red states from a great height in terms of prosperity; only real exception is Alaska.
Gryphon_ is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:34 PM
  #38  
Axelrod
CF Senior Member
 
Axelrod's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2005
Location: North East
Posts: 7,359
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by pdiddy972 View Post
Why do you right wing always speak of "unfounded liabilities" in terms of decades of expenses, but only discuss sources of revenue in annual terms? So it looks worse? What is their deficit ANNUALLY, and how does it compare to the savings and new tax revenues Illinois will see will legalized pot industry?

https://www.oneillinois.com/stories/...12/legalize-it

"Recreational marijuana could rake in $525 million in taxes, with corresponding job gains and cuts in enforcement costs"

"You guys" that have had decades of dem control in America's largest cities have literally bankrupted them to the core. It makes sense to spend less and tax less, yes?

Funny that you think that legalizing pot is a cure to wreckless spending. I have news for you, the dem culture rot of spending will not change one iota
Axelrod is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 05:39 PM
  #39  
silvertonesx24
CF Senior Member
 
silvertonesx24's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,360
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by pdiddy972 View Post
Why do you right wing always speak of "unfounded liabilities" in terms of decades of expenses, but only discuss sources of revenue in annual terms? So it looks worse? What is their deficit ANNUALLY, and how does it compare to the savings and new tax revenues Illinois will see will legalized pot industry?

https://www.oneillinois.com/stories/...12/legalize-it

"Recreational marijuana could rake in $525 million in taxes, with corresponding job gains and cuts in enforcement costs"
The IL budget deficit is $3.2 billion. That's a real number, not a hopeful $525 million projection which we all know won't actually happen. And which will also decrease over time as more states legalize. That's not a reason not to legalize at all, but it isnt even close to the panacea people and the government act like it is.

The point of the unfunded liabilities is that it makes it more and more difficult over time to close an already multi billion dollar gap over time. And these liabilities and their COLAs are constitionally guaranteed.
silvertonesx24 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 05:57 PM
  #40  
694speed350
CF Senior Member
 
694speed350's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: vonore Tn
Posts: 16,746
Thanked 30 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
You can look it up and will find that most of the red states get more in federal money than they contribute in federal taxes e.g. they are a burden on the union. On the other hand states like California pay in far more than they take out.

The fact is - republicans have engineered the tax legislature that benefits the wealthy residing in the low tax states e.g. Trump and Florida. This is likely to backfire on them in the 2020 election when a lot more GOP senators will be up for the re-election than in 2018.
Boo HOO. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen *****

on its way
694speed350 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Tax Burden by State


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: