Notices
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

2018 Tax Burden by State

 
Old 02-11-2019, 07:57 PM
  #41  
VITE1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
VITE1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Port St Lucie FL Life is hard, Then you die, FL USA
Posts: 65,416
Thanked 44 Times in 22 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10
Default

Originally Posted by Gryphon_ View Post
The state of Florida inflicts a burden on all the others by allowing almost the entire US military to claim residency while in fact serving elsewhere. Pretty much every US military person I ever met has a Florida driver license and as a result, pays no state taxes wherever they are. So the rest of us pick up the tab.
Boo ******* Hoo. And I wonder how many people you actually know.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/mi...record-3332817

Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
You can look it up and will find that most of the red states get more in federal money than they contribute in federal taxes e.g. they are a burden on the union. On the other hand states like California pay in far more than they take out.

The fact is - republicans have engineered the tax legislature that benefits the wealthy residing in the low tax states e.g. Trump and Florida. This is likely to backfire on them in the 2020 election when a lot more GOP senators will be up for the re-election than in 2018.
Then let's end all means tested welfare and get those deadbeat states to take care of thier own.
VITE1 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:15 AM
  #42  
owebo
CF Senior Member
 
owebo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Washigton, DC
Posts: 107,851
Thanked 31 Times in 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16
Default

Originally Posted by VITE1 View Post
Boo ******* Hoo. And I wonder how many people you actually know.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/mi...record-3332817



Then let's end all means tested welfare and get those deadbeat states to take care of thier own.
how will they get their democrat voter registration forms then....
owebo is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:18 AM
  #43  
GrandSportC3
CF Senior Member
 
GrandSportC3's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2001
Location: Secular Capitalist Lakeland, FL
Posts: 170,006
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17
Default

Love living in #47.. 4th lowest tax burden...
GrandSportC3 is online now  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:41 PM
  #44  
hwy1vette
CF Senior Member
 
hwy1vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville Georgia
Posts: 278
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

ďInterestingly enough, red states, which tend to advocate for a lesser influence by the federal government, are much more dependent on the federal government than blue states. Blue states combined to form an average ranking of 18.3 (with 1 being most dependent and 50 being least dependent), while red states combined to rank 33.2 overall.Ē

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...ernment-2015-7

republinazi lies vs facts
hwy1vette is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:46 PM
  #45  
vettsplit 63
CF Senior Member
 
vettsplit 63's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: Power tripping Sociopath- has a nice ring to it- I used to be a people person, but people ruined it Texas
Posts: 5,820
Thanked 84 Times in 75 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default

Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
At least you can see Russia from there
You do know that was an invented quote?
vettsplit 63 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:56 PM
  #46  
pdiddy972
CF Senior Member
 
pdiddy972's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 9,608
Thanked 331 Times in 217 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63 View Post
You do know that was an invented quote?
Same as Al Gore supposedly saying he invented the Internet, but it hasn't stopped people from saying it.
pdiddy972 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:20 PM
  #47  
NY09C6
CF Senior Member
 
NY09C6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,619
Thanks: 0
Thanked 188 Times in 131 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by pdiddy972 View Post
But the point is why should we create a situation where states and local governments have less incentive to be cost-efficient and help enable crazy real estate bubbles in those states while they simultaneously deprive the federal government of revenue, and push more burden on more-responsible states?
jesus, you are all over the map politically
NY09C6 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:25 PM
  #48  
z06inVB
CF Senior Member
 
z06inVB's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Va. Beach VA
Posts: 7,646
Thanks: 0
Thanked 142 Times in 106 Posts
Default

My home is valued at 250k which here is an average ranch home. My real estate tax was 1900 last year. For the first time in years I took the standard deduction and got back 1k. Overall I confirmed I took home about 7% more than I did last year.
z06inVB is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:11 PM
  #49  
pdiddy972
CF Senior Member
 
pdiddy972's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 9,608
Thanked 331 Times in 217 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NY09C6 View Post
jesus, you are all over the map politically
I'm sorry I don't fit neatly into the template of the enemy liberal.
pdiddy972 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:12 PM
  #50  
owebo
CF Senior Member
 
owebo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Washigton, DC
Posts: 107,851
Thanked 31 Times in 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16
Default

Originally Posted by pdiddy972 View Post
I'm sorry I don't fit neatly into the template of the enemy liberal.
no, you fit the LWNJ templet to a tee however...
owebo is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 10:20 PM
  #51  
vettsplit 63
CF Senior Member
 
vettsplit 63's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: Power tripping Sociopath- has a nice ring to it- I used to be a people person, but people ruined it Texas
Posts: 5,820
Thanked 84 Times in 75 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default

Originally Posted by pdiddy972 View Post
Same as Al Gore supposedly saying he invented the Internet, but it hasn't stopped people from saying it.
. Oh. Like when Harry Reid falsely claimed Mitt Romney hadn't paid any taxes in many, many years. And when caught in the lie, he just grinned and said "We won, didn't we?"
vettsplit 63 is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 10:19 AM
  #52  
Krystal
CF Senior Member
 
Krystal's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,747
Thanks: 0
Thanked 56 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gryphon_ View Post
Interesting list but I dont agree with their methodology. If they rank based on a combo of median income, poverty, and unemployment, the median income includes the impact of the other two, so really median income alone would be a better metric. That changes the ranking a fair bit, but still has most blue states pissing on most red states from a great height in terms of prosperity; only real exception is Alaska.
Take political leanings out entirely, just for a moment........ you make a great point when you say there are a few Blue States "pissing on Most Red States from a great height".

Again.....lose the political opinion just for a moment and you gotta ask, "What is happening in those Blue States and the few Red and Purple Sates that allow for economies that generate the MUCH LARGER income levels?"

"Pissing from a great height" I wouldn't put it so crudely myself but run with your analogy and suggest that no matter what your political leaning........most people would probably agree that any State Economy that can generate so much MORE money and the resulting median income level that is reflated in that .......must be doing something better than the Poor States that can't manage it.....again REGARDLESS of the "red', "blue" or even "purple" nature of the prevailing political opinion in the State.

Better to be the guy up high and tone deaf to what he's doing as he's pissing down than to be the guy down low and bitching and moaning about that a-hole up their pissing on him.
Krystal is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 07:00 PM
  #53  
GhostTX
CF Senior Member
 
GhostTX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2002
Location: Great State of Texas
Posts: 8,057
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gryphon_ View Post
That's not accurate and you should know it. The purpose of the deduction was to prevent us paying federal taxes on money that had already gone on state taxes, ie prevent double taxation. Avoiding double taxation is one of the basics of a fair and equitable tax code. I'm pleased that your taxes went down in Alabama. Mine went up (a lot) in California. As a result, I do not share your view of the president.
The Fed ain't taxing you twice, you're only paying income tax for the Fed once. Your state decided to also tax your income, and you're paying your state once on that income. Tell your state not to tax your income if you don't like that.

Originally Posted by The Creeper View Post
Wrong, it just shifts the burden from the state to the federal. It is not fair that you get to deduct just because your state chooses to have high taxes. If your state government that you picked decided to double your tax burden it should not allow you to escape a large portion of your federal taxes, that is on you.
This. The income tax states' worked a way so those residents wouldn't pay their obligations to the Fed.

Last edited by GhostTX; 02-18-2019 at 07:00 PM.
GhostTX is offline  
Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM
  #54  
Gryphon_
CF Senior Member
 
Gryphon_'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Location: Palos Verdes California
Posts: 389
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GhostTX View Post
The Fed ain't taxing you twice, you're only paying income tax for the Fed once. Your state decided to also tax your income, and you're paying your state once on that income. Tell your state not to tax your income if you don't like that.

This. The income tax states' worked a way so those residents wouldn't pay their obligations to the Fed.
Every state has a constitutional right to tax, its not a matter of my choice. What you are saying is that the amount that goes on state taxes, no matter what that is, should also be counted in calculating your federal taxes - which is double taxation.

To follow your argument to its logical conclusion about choices, you wouldnt be able to deduct anything at all - why should you pay less of your taxes because of your mortgage, your charitable donations, your investment losses? All of those are your choices and by your logic they should have zero impact on how much federal tax you pay.

But I get it, you live in Texas, I live in California.....

Last edited by Gryphon_; Yesterday at 11:10 PM.
Gryphon_ is offline  
Old Yesterday, 11:30 PM
  #55  
caskiguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
caskiguy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Sherman Oaks California
Posts: 2,031
Thanked 276 Times in 255 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Red 50th Anniversary View Post
I am very happy since I moved from Maryland to Delaware,which is rated as the 49th lowest taxed state. We have no state sales tax, a low state income tax with an exemption of SS earnings, a 12,500 pension exemption, and a school tax credit if youíre over 65 or disabled. Also property taxes are very low ranked the 47th lowest as a percentage of income. We also have an open carry law if you have a clean record, although most opt for a concealed carry permit which is available for law abiding citizens.

If Delaware can provide services and itís infrastructure without raping itís citizens with exorbitant taxes, why canít other states also do it?
Because other states are too far gone, like California.
caskiguy is online now  
Old Today, 01:47 AM
  #56  
Tri-Tip
CF Senior Member
 
Tri-Tip's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 1999
Location: PR&C - The Safe Space for today's Conservative.
Posts: 24,094
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by The Creeper View Post
The purpose of the state tax deduction on federal taxes was to subsidize the liberal states. It should never have been.

I am in Alabama, fed tax last year had me paying $2900, this year we get back $168. Woo Woo love our President.
That's meaningless information out of context. In order to make your claim, let us know how much more or less your AGI was in 2018 vs. 2017 how much was deducted from your paychecks, and how much in estimated taxes you paid.
Tri-Tip is offline  
Old Today, 03:08 AM
  #57  
vettsplit 63
CF Senior Member
 
vettsplit 63's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: Power tripping Sociopath- has a nice ring to it- I used to be a people person, but people ruined it Texas
Posts: 5,820
Thanked 84 Times in 75 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default

Originally Posted by Gryphon_ View Post
Every state has a constitutional right to tax, its not a matter of my choice. What you are saying is that the amount that goes on state taxes, no matter what that is, should also be counted in calculating your federal taxes - which is double taxation.

To follow your argument to its logical conclusion about choices, you wouldnt be able to deduct anything at all - why should you pay less of your taxes because of your mortgage, your charitable donations, your investment losses? All of those are your choices and by your logic they should have zero impact on how much federal tax you pay.

But I get it, you live in Texas, I live in California.....
. Somehow that doesn't surprise me
vettsplit 63 is offline  
Old Today, 07:30 AM
  #58  
owebo
CF Senior Member
 
owebo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Washigton, DC
Posts: 107,851
Thanked 31 Times in 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16
Default

Originally Posted by vettsplit 63 View Post
. Somehow that doesn't surprise me
Heís a fruit with no nuts....
owebo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Tax Burden by State


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: