Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Electric Cars - Help Me understand

Old 03-12-2019, 12:20 PM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Road machine View Post
How often do you fill up???
Every 380 miles give or take.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:22 PM
VandelayIndustries
CF Senior Member

Then you must have a major problem with the oil subsidies that have been going on since 1916.....not to mention all the money and lives we have spent to protect oil in places that hate the USA.

As to your point about where power comes from, I think you assume too much about people....People buying these cars do a lot of research into how much it will add to their electric bill. At least all the guys I know have.
How did I know that you would mention oil subsidies in your reply? No, really, I never saw that coming!

I think you assume too much about people
Pot, meet kettle.....
Old 03-12-2019, 12:24 PM
Road machine
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 66jack View Post
EMP and its all over...

Cars dead in their tracks...Electric cars and the Newer cars scattered all over the place...
uhhmmm Not sure about your car....but all my ICE cars have batteries and electronics....including my 59, 66 and 69 vettes.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:25 PM
Road machine
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post
Time wise... is that once a week twice a week....every day???
Old 03-12-2019, 12:26 PM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Time wise... is that once a week twice a week....every day???
Approximately every 6 days.

Last edited by Aerovette; 03-12-2019 at 12:26 PM.
wadenelson
CF Senior Member

Are you trolling or do you want an honest response how electric cars will be beneficial?

For starters, for the SAME AMOUNT of energy created, a big (even coal-fired) power plant generates a lot less pollution per KWH/horsepower than an ICE.

Second, the grid has times when it generates excess energy. Right now that's mostly at night. You can't stop and start a coal fired or a nuke like you can a gas peaker plant. Power is dirt cheap at night, and it's a perfect time to recharge an electric car. Why wouldn't you want to pay the equivalent of 11 cents per gallon to fuel up your car?

If nothing else you're reducing demand and helping keep gas prices lower

In the very near future, renewables like solar will produce excess energy on both sunny and windy afternoons. In Hawaii and California (and western Australia) , they already do, to the point where the grid operator actually has to PAY other utilities to burn up that electricity for them. Far better to use it to charge consumers' cars (and home batteries) for cheap or free.

(Not that greedy utilities are known for passing along their savings when they're able to BUY electricity cheaply on the wholesale market, but that's another battle for another day)

As a homeowner with 4KW of solar panels (a very small grid-tied system), I face the SAME SITUATION. Generating more power than I can use on cold, sunny mornings, and the local utility won't pay me squat for it. A battery, either a Tesla Powerwall, LG whatever, OR an electric car to charge during times of excess power would save me EVEN MORE money than "donating" it to the grid. I could use self-produced energy either for 11 cent-per-gallon equivalent transportation or to power my house AFTER DARK.

For a lot of two-car families having one electric for scooting around town (or commuting) makes a ton of sense.

All the stupid pictures of AOC holding an outlet strip plugged into itself suggests to me that many here really aren't interested in an honest reply, just an echo chamber. After all, it is a CORVETTE forum.

When your Vette gets outrun by some ugly-*** Tesla econobox one day... you'll just hate them even more.

But you'll buy one for your daughter.

Last edited by wadenelson; 03-12-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Slo Yelo C5
CF Senior Member

Its called a battery....it allows you to carry electricity with you...I know it sounds like magic, but you can even use one in tools like drills and saws that once had to be plugged in. As for the expense??? How can a vehicle that needs no gasoline , or oil changes, be more expensive than a car that needs all of that to run?? The Average driver in the US drives 1000 miles a month.....electric cars have ranges of over 300 miles even after taking into consideration that you don't want to run under 20%. That means that the average driver would have to charge the car once a week. Do you call that not practical???
Ah, batteries...

You mean the things that require significant amounts of precious metals (nickel, cobalt, lithium, etc) to be extracted from the Earth via intensive mining operations?

Or are they the things that require energy from coal or natural gas power plants?

Or the things that when disposed of after just 7-10 years of use, are horrendous for the environment?

You mean those batteries right?
Old 03-12-2019, 12:29 PM
Road machine
CF Senior Member

Well then you would be a good candidate for an electric car.... Just plug it is two nights a week and you would be covered.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:31 PM
Slo Yelo C5
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by wadenelson View Post
Are you trolling or do you want an honest response how electric cars will be beneficial?

For starters, for the SAME AMOUNT of energy created, a big (even coal-fired) power plant generates a lot less pollution per KWH than an ICE.

Really? Even if said ICE car has a ultra high performance green catalytic converter? You sure about that? Post up some proof.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:32 PM
wadenelson
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Slo Yelo C5 View Post
Ah, batteries...

You mean the things that require significant amounts of precious metals (nickel, cobalt, lithium, etc) to be extracted from the Earth via intensive mining operations?

Or the things that when disposed of after just 7-10 years of use,
Nice try, but no cigar. The lithium and other precious metals in batteries is easily and commonly recycled. Just like lead/acid batteries today.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:32 PM
Road machine
CF Senior Member

Ah, batteries...

Or are they the things that require energy from coal or natural gas power plants?

Or the things that when disposed of after just 7-10 years of use, are horrendous for the environment?

You mean those batteries right?
Yes the things that are almost 100% recyclable....so you just use those same precious metals over and over and only extract the lithium from brine....you know salt water.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:34 PM
ChefMark
CF Senior Member

Its called a battery....it allows you to carry electricity with you...I know it sounds like magic, but you can even use one in tools like drills and saws that once had to be plugged in. As for the expense??? How can a vehicle that needs no gasoline , or oil changes, be more expensive than a car that needs all of that to run?? The Average driver in the US drives 1000 miles a month.....electric cars have ranges of over 300 miles even after taking into consideration that you don't want to run under 20%. That means that the average driver would have to charge the car once a week. Do you call that not practical???
The question was how is it saving the planet if we will need more power plants to charge the car. How is that practical?
Old 03-12-2019, 12:35 PM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Well then you would be a good candidate for an electric car.... Just plug it is two nights a week and you would be covered.
I buy gas at my convenience. The convenience is I can run that sucker until it's on fumes, spend 3 minutes at the station and go again. Very convenient. If I am out in the middle of nowhere and running low and juice, I can't even go knock on a farmer's door and get a gallon. I can't call a wrecker to come and juice me up so I can get to a station. The infrastructure does not exist to compete from a convenience standpoint. Rewiring the house, possibly buying solar panels yada yada. I'm not completely opposed to it. I could see me driving a fast as hell electric with the right styling, when the industry gets it's **** together. I'll never even be a passenger in a Prius. I don't even park near them because I don't want their funk near me.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:36 PM
wadenelson
CF Senior Member

Really? Even if said ICE car has a ultra high performance green catalytic converter? You sure about that? Post up some proof.
Got Google? "power plant cleaner than ICE" and take your choice.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:39 PM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Currently I have 85 Lithium ion batteries I need to ship. I have to have special packaging, special labeling, MSDS, etc. even with all of that, NO airline will accept them. They have been stuck at my office for three weeks trying to figure out how to get them to the customer. If they are the perfect energy source, why are they treated like a pariah?
Old 03-12-2019, 12:40 PM
Road machine
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChefMark View Post
The question was how is it saving the planet if we will need more power plants to charge the car. How is that practical?
Why is the electric car meant to save the planet??? Was the ICE car meant to save the planet??? Volkswagen certainly did not claim they were saving the planet. The electric car is just far more efficient than and ICE car. They are cheaper to assemble and maintain, so they are good for car companies, and people who buy them.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:41 PM
ChefMark
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by wadenelson View Post

For starters, for the SAME AMOUNT of energy created, a big (even coal-fired) power plant generates a lot less pollution per KWH/horsepower than an ICE.

Second, the grid has times when it generates excess energy. Right now that's mostly at night. You can't stop and start a coal fired or a nuke like you can a gas peaker plant. Power is dirt cheap at night, and it's a perfect time to recharge an electric car. Why wouldn't you want to pay the equivalent of 11 cents per gallon to fuel up your car?

If nothing else you're reducing demand and helping keep gas prices lower

In the very near future, renewables like solar will produce excess energy on both sunny and windy afternoons. In Hawaii and California (and western Australia) , they already do, to the point where the grid operator actually has to PAY other utilities to burn up that electricity for them. Far better to use it to charge consumers cars (and home batteries) for cheap or free.

As a homeowner with 4KW of solar panels (a very small system), I face the SAME SITUATION. Generating more power than I can use on cold, sunny mornings, and the local utility won't give me squat for it. Net metering is history in Phoenix. A battery, either a Tesla Powerwall, LG whatever, OR an electric car to charge would save me EVEN MORE money than "donating" it to the grid. I could use self-produced energy either for 11 cent-per-gallon equivalent transportation or to power my house AFTER DARK.

For a lot of two-car families having one electric for scooting around town makes a ton of sense.

All the stupid pictures of AOC holding an outlet strip plugged into itself suggests to me that many here really aren't interested in an honest reply, just an echo chamber. After all, it is a CORVETTE forum.

When your Vette gets outrun by some ugly-*** Tesla econobox one day... you'll just hate them even more. But you'll buy one for your daughter, I'll bet.
Now that makes sense
My question has nothing to with hating electric cars it has to do with how does it benefit our world? I'm just looking at the sear volume of cars on the road today and charging them everyday and every night
Old 03-12-2019, 12:42 PM
Slo Yelo C5
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChefMark View Post
I am no expert on this but...

My understanding is that not only will more power plants (likely gas powered--or wind turbines or solar, etc) be needed...more importantly, the current grid cant handle the load? So from my understanding, it's like having Tom Brady at QB and an O line from a high school doing the blocking. Meaning it is far behind a power plant issue.

And from what I've heard, upgrading the grid will cost trillions ($10? $20?) and take 20, 30, 50+ years top to bottom to support a nation where, say, 90% of vehicles are electric.

Anybody care to clarify?
Old 03-12-2019, 12:43 PM
93Polo
CF Senior Member

CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

My objection to electric cars is the charge time. I can fill my tank in a few minutes and drive hundreds of miles. A "few minutes" of charge won't get me very far. Tesla was developing battery exchange stations that could beat fill up times, but that seems to have fallen off the radar.
I leased a Leaf for a commuter car when Georgia was running the $5k tax credit. Yes I missed the convenience of gas. China is working on cars where you roll up and robots change the batteries in minutes. Changing the battery is likely the ultimate solution. Quick chargers can damage battery life and even the fastest home chargers takes hours to go from low charge to full charge.

I would lease another if the tax deal came back but I won't give up having a ICE powered vehicle in the garage as well.

No, I am not getting into the power generation, battery manufacturing rabbit hole of a debate other than to say I am not buying into electric being cleaner than ICE.

I have heard Solar is just around the corner since the TV show Beyond 2000 was airing new episodes.

Last edited by 93Polo; 03-12-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:44 PM
Slo Yelo C5
CF Senior Member

Why is the electric car meant to save the planet??? Was the ICE car meant to save the planet??? Volkswagen certainly did not claim they were saving the planet. The electric car is just far more efficient than and ICE car. They are cheaper to assemble and maintain, so they are good for car companies, and people who buy them.
If they're so cheap, why does every shyt box electric car (Volt, Bolt, Tesla 3?), cost 50%+ more than cars in its class? I can get an Impala (full sized) for the price of a Bolt/Volt. If they were so cheap, wouldn't a Bolt/Volt cost less than a Cruze?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric Cars - Help Me understand

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: