Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Electric Cars - Help Me understand

Old 03-12-2019, 11:32 AM
ChefMark
CF Senior Member

Default Electric Cars - Help Me understand

So it looks like more and more car manufactures are going to electric cars like Volkswagen and they claim Zero Co2 emissions. Which is great but it's not true, how to you recharge your earth saving car? You plug it in to the grid and charge it and how is the electric made?
How Power Plants Work
  • Fossil Plants. Steam-electric plants produce energy by using some form of heat energy to turn water...
  • Nuclear Plants. Nuclear plants use the fission process to generate the energy needed to produce electricity.
  • Renewable Energy. Renewable energy resources naturally replenish themselves and tend to have...
Other than so called renewable energy which can not produce enough power to to charge all the cars on the road in one night let alone one hour. The so called earth saving idiot have already said Nuclear energy is too dangerous and god know burning coal is differently not good for the environment.

Bottom line is electric cars are really not zero Co2 cause they still need some sort of Co2 emitting factory to power the cars. It's not making sense to me.

Can someone please explain how electric cars are going to save out planet?

Volkswagen is betting its future on electric cars
he German carmaker is increasing the number of new electric models it plans to build over the next decade from 50 to 70.

The group had previously announced massive investments in electric and battery technology, signaling its intention to confront upstarts like Tesla that have taken the lead in the emerging market for electric cars.

The Volkswagen Group said in a statement Tuesday that it now plans to build 22 million electric cars across its brands by 2028, a sharp increase from its earlier estimate of 15 million. It said it may also get into the battery manufacturing business in Europe.

There are some signs that increased investment in new technology is starting to hurt Volkswagen's earnings.

The company said group profits hit 13.9 billion ($15.7 billion) in 2018, an increase of 0.7% from the previous year. But research and development costs rose 3.8%, and electric mobility investments dragged down profits at the core Volkswagen brand.

Carmakers around the world regard the demise of the internal combustion engine as only a matter of time, and many have set ambitious targets for sales of electrics and hybrids. Yet they are starting from a very small base.

The Volkswagen Group, which includes Audi, Porsche and Skoda, sold a record 10.8 million cars in 2018. But just 40,000 of those were electric vehicles, and only 60,000 or so were plug-in hybrids.

Many global carmakers are now seeking to share costs related to developing the cars of the future. BMW and Mercedes-owner Daimler have formed a strategic partnership focused on highly-automated and autonomous driving.

Ford and Volkswagen announced a plan in January to build cars together. The companies also agreed to "investigate" how they can work together to develop next generation vehicles.

Last week, Volkswagen said that it was opening its Modular Electric Toolkit, or MEB, to other carmakers. The company describes the platform, which was developed specifically for electric vehicles, as the "heart" of its "electric offensive."

The German carmaker on Tuesday tied its electric production targets to efforts to slash the CO2 footprint of its vehicle fleet by 30% by 2025. It wants 40% of the vehicles it sells to be electrics by 2030.

Two electric cars that could play a key role in taking on Tesla in the luxury market the Audi e-tron and Porsche Taycan will go into production this year. Volkswagen said that reservations for each of the models already total 20,000.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:36 AM
Mr D.
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I was downtown yesterday, not a power plug to be found anywhere.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:38 AM
glbeauchamp
CF Senior Member

Details, Details.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:42 AM
VandelayIndustries
CF Senior Member

Oh for crying out loud. Just drink the KoolAid already, willya?!
Old 03-12-2019, 11:48 AM
Road machine
CF Senior Member

Their claim that the cars release Zero Co2 emissions is certainly true.....the cars do not. And I see no claim by Volkswagen to save the planet. That was added by you.

Now as for the investment in electric cars.....are you suggesting that electric cars are bad in some way???

They are very fast.

They work great for people who commute every day.

So what's the problem???
Old 03-12-2019, 11:49 AM
rudutch
CF Senior Member

unicorn solar panels
Old 03-12-2019, 11:50 AM
Road machine
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by rudutch View Post
unicorn solar panels
Are you saying solar panels do not exist???
Old 03-12-2019, 11:52 AM
Mr D.
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Road machine View Post
Their claim that the cars release Zero Co2 emissions is certainly true.....the cars do not. And I see no claim by Volkswagen to save the planet. That was added by you.

Now as for the investment in electric cars.....are you suggesting that electric cars are bad in some way???

They are very fast.

They work great for people who commute every day.

So what's the problem???
Where you getting all this juice to re-juice the car? A home plug-in is a very short term (mileage) solution.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:53 AM
RAMMAN
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18-'19

Every millennial knows that electricity comes from the magic plug.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:54 AM
Road machine
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mr D. View Post
Where you getting all this juice to re-juice the car? A home plug-in is a very short term (mileage) solution.
Well I have a solar array that produces way more than I use.....so there is that.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:56 AM
VandelayIndustries
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by RAMMAN View Post
Every millennial knows that electricity comes from the magic plug.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:59 AM
Road machine
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by VandelayIndustries View Post

Yep she is an idiot.....so now back to the topic....Why are you against our car companies investing in the latest technology for transportation??? Should we hide our heads in the sand and let Japan and china and Germany dominate yet another market the we started.

Last edited by Road machine; 03-12-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:02 PM
Mr D.
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Well I have a solar array that produces way more than I use.....so there is that.
Going to need a pretty long extension cord to tap into that. I'm cool and down with electric cars but they are expensive and not practical to the average American car owner.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:04 PM
66jack
CF Senior Member

Old 03-12-2019, 12:09 PM
VandelayIndustries
CF Senior Member

Yep she is an idiot.....so now back to the topic....Why are you against our car companies investing in the latest technology for transportation??? Should we hide our heads in the sand and let Japan and china and Germany dominate yet another market the we started.
See bolded above. I'm not against that one bit. When tax dollars subsidize the purchase of electric cars....now I do have a problem with that.

Now back to the original topic....most people buy an electric car not giving any thought as to where the electricity comes from in the first place, thereby driving a coal-fired vehicle while feeling superior to everybody else. If you have a solar array that provides enough juice for your home and car, that's great. I have no issue with that. It's not for me, but if you like it then more power to you. ( see what I did there? )

Last edited by VandelayIndustries; 03-12-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:12 PM
Road machine
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mr D. View Post
Going to need a pretty long extension cord to tap into that. I'm cool and down with electric cars but they are expensive and not practical to the average American car owner.
Its called a battery....it allows you to carry electricity with you...I know it sounds like magic, but you can even use one in tools like drills and saws that once had to be plugged in. As for the expense??? How can a vehicle that needs no gasoline , or oil changes, be more expensive than a car that needs all of that to run?? The Average driver in the US drives 1000 miles a month.....electric cars have ranges of over 300 miles even after taking into consideration that you don't want to run under 20%. That means that the average driver would have to charge the car once a week. Do you call that not practical???
Old 03-12-2019, 12:16 PM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

My objection to electric cars is the charge time. I can fill my tank in a few minutes and drive hundreds of miles. A "few minutes" of charge won't get me very far. Tesla was developing battery exchange stations that could beat fill up times, but that seems to have fallen off the radar.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:17 PM
Road machine
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by VandelayIndustries View Post
See bolded above. I'm not against that one bit. When tax dollars subsidize the purchase of electric cars....now I do have a problem with that.

Now back to the original topic....most people buy an electric car not giving any thought as to where the electricity comes from in the first place, thereby driving a coal-fired vehicle while feeling superior to everybody else. If you have a solar array that provides enough juice for your home and car, that's great. I have no issue with that. It's not for me, but if you like it then more power to you. ( see what I did there? )
Then you must have a major problem with the oil subsidies that have been going on since 1916.....not to mention all the money and lives we have spent to protect oil in places that hate the USA.

As to your point about where power comes from, I think you assume too much about people....People buying these cars do a lot of research into how much it will add to their electric bill. At least all the guys I know have.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:18 PM
Road machine
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post
My objection to electric cars is the charge time. I can fill my tank in a few minutes and drive hundreds of miles. A "few minutes" of charge won't get me very far. Tesla was developing battery exchange stations that could beat fill up times, but that seems to have fallen off the radar.
How often do you fill up???
Old 03-12-2019, 12:20 PM
66jack
CF Senior Member

EMP and its all over...

Cars dead in their tracks...Electric cars and the Newer cars scattered all over the place...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric Cars - Help Me understand

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: