Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Trump ISSUES EO, grounds the 737 MAX FLEET...

Old 03-13-2019, 03:06 PM
vette6799
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
...and if that's actually the case as I suspect we'll find out that it is.......the planes will be back in the air before long.

GOOD GRIEF is everything going to always come back to being on one side of the political spectrum or the other?

I don't think so........but for a lot of folks in this forum it seems that it just about always does.

SO it begs a question.

Did President Trump just FOLD UP like a cheap suit in your opinion?

.....or can you leave room for the possibility this isn't about politics at all?
However it came about, grounding the plane was a good decision. If Trump made the call, he made the right call.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:08 PM
GhostTX
CF Senior Member

Still wondering if this is a Max 8 issue or pilot issue. Only 2 have crashed within 6 months and there how many operating and how many flights?
Old 03-13-2019, 03:09 PM
Krystal
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
Sorry, did I miss where I injected politics into my assertion?
You didn't......but it's HARD TO MISS the political angle in a thread entitled "NO 737s allowed into Kanaduh"
Old 03-13-2019, 03:13 PM
RandolphB
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
Thank GOD you aren't making these decisions.

Safe air travel is no place to draw lines over something as absolutely STUPID as various versions of political opinion.

Really? I know far more about aircraft safety as an FAA certified Airframe and Powerplant mechanic than you will ever know. To top this, I have read the NTSB crash reports daily for probably 20+ years. Grounding these aircraft is beyond stupid. FACTS show that 89.4% of all aircraft crashes are pilot error. That can include an unqualified pilot in the seat of the aircraft. That doesn't make it a bad aircraft, that makes it a bad pilot.

Maintenance is responsible for .5% of all crashes, and design flaws less than that. The reason everybody is freaking out and blaming the plane is the same as always, pilots don't like hearing they don't do a good job. The pilots in both these crashes had extremely low hours total compared to US pilots of the same aircraft model. 99% chance they were Pilot Mill pilots with a minimum of time under their belts, taking the third world path to PIC.

So based on FACTS, there shouldn't be a grounding of aircraft, but all pilots should be grounded until they can be retested. Is that going to ever happen? Pilot's union. No damn way.

Funny how everybody is still blaming the aircraft when reports on the second crash were that the engines were smoking and spitting out parts. Sully might be able to tell people why they do that. Of course, he also knew how to fly an aircraft that happened to.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:17 PM
68/70Vette
CF Senior Member

The Lion Air aircraft was pitching up and down as the autopilot anti-stall "safeguard" was tying to pitch the nose down and the pilot was trying to pitch the nose up. The Ethiopian aircraft also was exhibiting pitch up and pitch down motions, but it was also trailing white smoke, sparks, and bizarrely, passengers effects were falling out of the airplane. Observers very near to the aircraft as it flew at low altitude, said the plane was making unusual metallic stress sounds, and then the wings wobbled and it nose dived into the ground. Best guess here is it stalled and nosedived into the ground. Reads like the crash mechanisms were very different. What's disturbing at this point is the Ethiopian aircraft black boxes are still in Ethiopia. There's apparently a pissing contest as to who will download and analyze the box data. Boeing wants them shipped to the US and the airline wants them shipped to Europe. An Ethiopian aircraft crashed into the Mediterranean about 10 years ago. The airline said the aircraft went down because of a bomb, Boeing said it was pilot error. That could explain why the airline doesn't want Boeing to download and analyze the data.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:20 PM
RandolphB
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette View Post
The Lion Air aircraft was pitching up and down as the autopilot anti-stall "safeguard" was tying to pitch the nose down and the pilot was trying to pitch the nose up. The Ethiopian aircraft also was exhibiting pitch up and pitch down motions, but it was also trailing white smoke, sparks, and bizarrely, passengers effects were falling out of the airplane. Observers very near to the aircraft as it flew at low altitude, said the plane was making unusual metallic stress sounds, and then the wings wobbled and it nose dived into the ground. Best guess here is it stalled and nosedived into the ground. Reads like the crash mechanisms were very different. What's disturbing at this point is the Ethiopian aircraft black boxes are still in Ethiopia. There's apparently a pissing contest as to who will download and analyze the box data. Boeing wants them shipped to the US and the airline wants them shipped to Europe. An Ethiopian aircraft crashed into the Mediterranean about 10 years ago. The airline said the aircraft went down because of a bomb, Boeing said it was pilot error. That could explain why the airline doesn't want Boeing to download and analyze the data.

Exactly. I stand by a 90% chance it was pilot error.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:20 PM
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member

He should have waited and let the people investigating the situation make that determination, not his role.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:21 PM
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by GhostTX View Post
Still wondering if this is a Max 8 issue or pilot issue. Only 2 have crashed within 6 months and there how many operating and how many flights?
That's my thought too, two crashes with pilots from countries with questionable training practices.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:30 PM
68/70Vette
CF Senior Member

I watched Rachel Madcow for a while last night. After she more or less neutrally described the actual crash events, she started talking about the Max's being grounded by many countries...BUT NOT THE US! This was Trump's fault because the current director of the FAA is an acting director. Trump was faulted for not having a permanent FAA director on the job. I stopped listening to the Madcow at this point.....The reason Trump's nominations are backlogged is because Schumer is insisting on 30 hours of debate per nominee! During the Obama administration, the Pubs only insisted on the 30 hour rule for 8 nominees, for Trump, the Dems insist on all. I think there's a backlog of 180 nominees awaiting.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:33 PM
66jack
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06 View Post
He should have waited and let the people investigating the situation make that determination, not his role.
And, if another one, 'god forbid' was to crash, they would come after him and crucify him for not doing what he just did...and you know they would!!!
Old 03-13-2019, 03:34 PM
RandolphB
CF Senior Member

Just remember. 89.4% of all crashes are pilot error. Grounding a fleet without data is stupid.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:35 PM
KenHorse
AOC = All Out Communist
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Our resident expert on everything (Petey) will be along to tell us how Trump did this to benefit Russian airlines
Old 03-13-2019, 03:37 PM
69L46
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-19

Originally Posted by 66jack View Post
And, if another one, 'god forbid' was to crash, they would come after him and crucify him for not doing what he just did...and you know they would!!!
They will anyway. He's already being criticized by the usual suspects for his 'ties' with Boeing.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:38 PM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Is it true that he feels bad about cancelling her trip and is making an exception and allowing Pelosi to travel by 737 anywhere she wants to go?
Old 03-13-2019, 03:39 PM
maybelooking
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 66jack View Post
Every so called journalist in America would be calling for Trumps head.........and every liberal idiot poster in this forum would agree with them!!!!

I dont know if Trump did the right thing or not on this......but I damn sure wont argue with the decision. Better to be safe than sorry. I hate flying on those big *** planes to begin with. Damn near need a bottle of opium to get near one. So if theres any hint of a problem, ground em.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:39 PM
mrvette
CF Senior Member

I WONDER if Boeing has an islamic programmer working near the auto pilot programming, has access to the files, maybe snuck in a line of code....???
Old 03-13-2019, 03:43 PM
Mr D.
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm guessing this will turn into a fast paced SIM re-train to get bodies back in the cockpit.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:44 PM
vette6799
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
He owns the FAA so it doesn't matter
Smart ***....LOL...is a bankruptcy in the works?
Old 03-13-2019, 03:44 PM
KenHorse
AOC = All Out Communist
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
I WONDER if Boeing has an islamic programmer working near the auto pilot programming, has access to the files, maybe snuck in a line of code....???
AOC insider, part of the Green New Deal!
Old 03-13-2019, 03:56 PM
68/70Vette
CF Senior Member

I'm guessing Boeing's upper management owns these problems. The automated stall-recovery feature that, caused the Lion crash, had a single point failure....the Angle of Attack sensor. If this sensor fails, the whole anti-stall feature fails as it did in the Lion crash. Aircraft software, hardware features have to be designed to be man rated since human lives are involved. Implementing this stall recovery feature with no redundancy was incompetent. Insisting on a feature without redundancy sounds like a decision a manager would make to save money.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trump ISSUES EO, grounds the 737 MAX FLEET...

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: