Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page >

Trump wants to cut Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid

Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Trump wants to cut Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid

Old 03-14-2019, 03:26 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
CF Senior Member

So let me get this straight.

I've Paid into Social Security for over 45+ years, never collected 1 penny in Unemployment, 1 Penny for Disability, nor 1 Penny of Social Security.

Yet HUD (Fed Govt) Sect8 is continuing to pay Lazy ******* freeloaders rent?

Got it.

Must be that "White Privilege."

New York City Housing Authority 278,263 get Free Rent

Puerto Rico Public Housing Administration 86,266 (More Free rent paid than all of the Chicagoland areas, 13 Million people vs 3 Million in PR)

Chicago Housing Authority 77,698 get Free Rent and they want t to expand benefits.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:56 PM
6spdC6
CF Senior Member

Location: A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake in the "Peoples Republic" of upper NY state http://www.visitsacandaga.com/

Originally Posted by 694speed350 View Post
if you are depending on only SS for retirement you are foolish better have a good 401k. as far as Medicare it's ok but leaves a lot to be desired. at my age 79, We depend on wife & my investments. Also we pay income tax on ss.

I got my SS card at age 14 and started contributing into this FORCED money taking thing. I knew even at a young age that the politicians would be raiding it for spending money. No way could they leave that much money alone, they figure out plenty of ways to waste it on their pet projects. SS Disability is a big one the system was not set up for that bullshit.

Figuring that SS might be gone or seriously curtailed we planed to be able to make it if that occurred. One of the best things I did was have a paid for new house at retirement, having no mortgage payments helps things tremendously I also have been playing the market for over 30 years so that portifilo added to my dam good union pension makes things work well. Wife also has a good pension. Both of us worked a lot of overtime to build up our pension. We both were able to retire at 55! (now 73)
Old 03-14-2019, 04:12 PM
smd001
CF Senior Member

Government math. Spend less = cuts.
SS = Ponzi Scheme.
No where in the COTUS does it say the government has the right to take money from the individual and spread it around because some are not smart enough to save for their own retirement. SS was passed because FDR was a corrupt progressive who cared little about the constitution. When challenged in SCOTUS the "tax" excuse was used to justify it as constitutional (Obamacare anyone?). It does not meet any of the qualifiers for Article 1 Sect 8.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:19 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 6spdC6 View Post

I got my SS card at age 14 and started contributing into this FORCED money taking thing. I knew even at a young age that the politicians would be raiding it for spending money. No way could they leave that much money alone, they figure out plenty of ways to waste it on their pet projects. SS Disability is a big one the system was not set up for that bullshit.

Figuring that SS might be gone or seriously curtailed we planed to be able to make it if that occurred. One of the best things I did was have a paid for new house at retirement, having no mortgage payments helps things tremendously I also have been playing the market for over 30 years so that portifilo added to my dam good union pension makes things work well. Wife also has a good pension. Both of us worked a lot of overtime to build up our pension. We both were able to retire at 55! (now 73)
My father retired at 62, union pension and Social Security. He's 95 years young, and it wouldn't surprise me if he makes it to a 100.

He's collected more years on pension than he worked. WTF?

Add in the million dollars or so for his and my mother's pacemakers, heart surgeries, and a ton of other BS and it's no wonder the system is Bust.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:58 PM
SilverC1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Red 50th Anniversary View Post
It will not have any effect on health care for seniors. His proposed 845 billion Medicare cut over 10 years is actually reduced by 269 billion that is transferred to the dept of health and human services. The rest of the reduction will be realized by lower drug costs, restructured payments to hospitals and physicians and savings related to fraud and malpractice.

If more people read the actual proposal their blood pressure would stay normal. I agree with you, Let’s wait until the pen hits the paper to see what is actually the final proposal. In addition to the restructuring of Medicare, he is also projecting a savings in Medicaid by putting in a work requirement in order to receive Medicaid and giving the states a block grant amount so they can manage their Medicaid expenditures.

He is not cutting social security retirement benefits at all (although in my opinion he should remove the earnings cap)
What he is doing is projecting a savings by going after the fraud in the social security disability program which is rampant within the system.

Good post (above). The Dems of course will try and demagogue this issue, but in reality the budget savings projects are for things that make sense. Especially a focus on reducing fraud in Social Security disability payments. The disability side of SS is rife with fraud.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:14 PM
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Derrick Reynolds View Post
Because it was the Dems back in LBJ's term that voted to raid the SS overage and put it in the general fund. I have no idea what you think what is quoted above is supposed to mean.
Thank you....at least two of us understand/remember history.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:08 PM
jasper711
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Derrick Reynolds View Post
Wrong again. Up until a few years ago, what we were paying in was funding the payments out with a HUGE overage that the government took and put in the general fund.
PeterK wrong again??? But I repeat myself.

Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Good, I am all for it. The pensioners had it too good for long!
Do you have a theory about this or just blathering
Old 03-14-2019, 07:18 PM
vette6799
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by SilverC1 View Post

Good post (above). The Dems of course will try and demagogue this issue, but in reality the budget savings projects are for things that make sense. Especially a focus on reducing fraud in Social Security disability payments. The disability side of SS is rife with fraud.
I'm missing something. The reduction in drug costs can only come about if there is a change in the way various federal programs are allowed to purchase drugs and negotiate reduced prices. The last time Trump announced a plan to lower drug prices, the stocks for drug manufacturers went up, i.e., that's pretty telling. Cutting reimbursement to hospitals...sounds good but many hospitals are barely hanging on. Ditto for docs, many of whom are now working for hospitals or physician groups due to already lousy reimbursement.

The dems won't go near this and I have my doubts about many pubs that are up for reelection in 2020.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:29 PM
Derrick Reynolds
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18

Originally Posted by 69er View Post
Stupid move.
He's going to scare seniors.
Only because of the way the MSM is spinning it. They say Trump wants to "cut" these programs, when this is not the truth. Trump wants to cut SPENDING on these programs, while not cutting BENEFITS at all. Big difference. What sane-minded person wouldn't want to cut wasteful government spending on a program if it had no impact to their benefit? Apparently the answer is either "no one" or "a Democrat", but I did specify "sane-minded"

Originally Posted by pdiddy972 View Post
That isn't owning. Trump still is asking for it, despite his promises to not touch it.
Originally Posted by pdiddy972 View Post
I doubt there is over a trillion in fraud to cut.
The trillion is over 3 programs over 10 years. Not much of a stretch when considering the size of the programs per year.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:32 PM
KenHorse
AOC = All Out Communist
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by jasper711 View Post
PeterK wrong again??? But I repeat myself.

Do you have a theory about this or just blathering
rhetorical?
Old 03-15-2019, 06:31 AM
BradSW
CF Senior Member

Location: From San Diego to Bentonville, AR.....WTF was I thinking?!? Oh yeah, that free state thingy!
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by need-for-speed View Post
Than. .gov entities ?

you just lost alll credibility.
Never had any.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:34 AM
need-for-speed
CF Senior Member

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'07-'09-'10,’17

Originally Posted by BradSW View Post
Never had any.
good point.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:42 AM
2500 hd
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor ‘18-'19

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC View Post
If SS is cut, so should the money they take from wages.

And, there better be a Grandfather Clause because paying into this **** nearly my whole life only to be cut back on makes people ******* snap.

It's easy for a Billionairre to do this when it has ZERO EFFECT on his ***.

****** should focus on welfare and illegal immigration issues first and foremost.
Damn right....
Old 03-15-2019, 10:20 AM
Red99SS
CF Senior Member

Eliminate all three, I sure as hell don't benefit from them and im tired of having so much of my money stolen from me and given to somebody else. I struggle to give a **** about other people when those people are the beneficiaries of my money
Old 03-15-2019, 10:29 AM
VITE1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Port St Lucie FL Life is hard, Then you die, FL USA
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

The OP should really do some research before posting bullshit. The Trump proposed budget SLOWS the grwoth of the programs and trying to reduce fraud, lower drug costs and stop abuse.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/12/trum...-spending.html

Excerpt:

On Monday, acting Office of Management and Budget Director Russ Vought said the president is "not cutting Medicare in this budget" but rather "putting forward reforms that are cutting drug prices." Medicare spending would still rise "every year by healthy margins" and no "structural changes" would take place, he said.

While spending would still rise under Trump's plan, it would not climb as much as it would under current law. His proposal fits within a broader Republican push to reform the massive federal safety net programs Medicare and Social Security, which are projected to come under an increasing strain in the coming years from the aging U.S. population. During last year's midterms, Democrats frequently warned about potential GOP efforts to trim the programs in order to make up for revenue shortfalls created by corporate and individual tax cuts passed in 2017.

Medicare — which covers roughly 60 million people over age 65 — accounted for about 15 percent of the federal budget in 2017, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. It is set to make up about 18 percent of federal outlays in 2028.
Let's get the Federal government out of hte "Helping" people business. They suck at it and it's not in thier best interest to be successful.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:46 PM
2500 hd
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor ‘18-'19

If you are too lazy to work, live under a ******* bridge and eat rats.....
I don't want to work my *** off , so you can be lazy..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trump wants to cut Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: