Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Still All Quiet On The Solar Front

Old 03-14-2019, 07:51 AM
larry00
CF Senior Member

Default Still All Quiet On The Solar Front

I think I ran posts for a while back in 2013 about a two year sun spot hiatus after Solar Minimum should have past .
Bout time to check it out again because the Sun runs on cycles inside other cycles without much outside influence .

Meanwhile the Earths Magnetic North Pole is racing towards Siberia and the Earth is close to flipping it's poles .
We have barely started studying the polar shift and it's effects on the magnasphere and oceans .
I hope it remains just a interesting feature of our planet and it's nuclear core .

https://umbra.nascom.nasa.gov/images/
Old 03-14-2019, 02:04 PM
calwldlife
CF Senior Member

the phenomenon of pole shift is really interesting.
every 20,000 years?
as a kid i remember how scientists had proof that the earth mag flipped.

and the solar cycle as well. maybe it is the 20,000 year cycle?

but hey, c02 is the thing we aught to be scared of.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:13 PM
Ragtop_Rob
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '17

This whole low sunspots thing is reaking havoc on my DXing....
Old 03-15-2019, 01:06 AM
68/70Vette
CF Senior Member

Solar activity is at a low; i.e. few or no sun spots. It's predicted to remain the way for a while....years? For0 a protracted period of time, the Earth will be cooling.

The North magnetic pole has moved from northern Canada to very near the geophysical North Pole. It's significant. Airport runways are numbered according to magnetic North Pole directions. With the pole wandering, somet runway numbering is slightly off.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:23 AM
RandolphB
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ragtop_Rob View Post
This whole low sunspots thing is reaking havoc on my DXing....

Are there even still stations to DX??!?!?! Laast time I pulled out a radio the bands were just dead....
Old 03-15-2019, 01:36 AM
Turbodude
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette View Post
Solar activity is at a low; i.e. few or no sun spots. It's predicted to remain the way for a while....years? For0 a protracted period of time, the Earth will be cooling.

The North magnetic pole has moved from northern Canada to very near the geophysical North Pole. It's significant. Airport runways are numbered according to magnetic North Pole directions. With the pole wandering, somet runway numbering is slightly off.
If Dr. Zharkova's theory is correct, we could be entering a long cold spell. I'm curious to see if this summer will be cooler than normal.

I'm also curious about the results from the Parker solar probe, whose timing was also curious.

Runway numbering has been somewhat off for years, but I'm not aware of any runway numbers being changed. I'm expecting the ILS systems have been updated accordingly.

Last edited by Turbodude; 03-15-2019 at 01:38 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:54 AM
Torqaholic
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by calwldlife View Post
every 20,000 years?

Solar cycles are about 12 years and predictable. Geomagnetic reversals of Earth are random and unpredictable.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:03 AM
Ragtop_Rob
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by RandolphB View Post
Are there even still stations to DX??!?!?! Last time I pulled out a radio the bands were just dead....
It is not like it was before, I get next to nothing on 10 and 15m, but this last week I was able to grab some contacts on 20m in the daytime. I talked to a fascinating guy in Morocco who had a love of Corvettes! I have had recent success with 40m, 80m, and 160m at night - BUT you have to work for it, you'll have to listen harder for grayline propagation.

I made a small upgrade to my shack the helped IMMENSELY I integrated a SDR2 device, using its waterfall I can see exactly where everyone is. Here is a write up on that;

https://www.qrz.com/db/KC4M

Give it a try!
Old 03-15-2019, 07:25 AM
larry00
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by calwldlife View Post
every 20,000 years?

Off the top of my head Earth about every 650.000 years [ About the same as Yellowstone Super Volcano ] and the Sun does it's thing every year .
I'm thinking old Sol pretty mild but the Earth is 4/5 th water on its surface and that's a lot of weight movement .
Tides for instance rise many feet the further North you go . Don't see how the coasts escape damage and I'd wager the continental drift might be affected causing tectonic shifts .
Several years ago scientists found an area in Australia with a clear picture of just how fast the shift completes its work .
Prolly even worse is the weakening of the Magnetic lines that hold our atmosphere together or its failure to do so .
I've not looked for any results of investigations into polar shift but I can't imagine it being a smooth transition unless of course there was not a lot to tear up that long ago .
Apparently our swinging ancestors survived it .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Still All Quiet On The Solar Front

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: