Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page >

Court rules Sandy Hook families can sue gunmaker over rifle used in shooting

Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Court rules Sandy Hook families can sue gunmaker over rifle used in shooting

Old 03-14-2019, 08:26 PM
30YR W8T
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." Calvin Coolidge
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Sad state of affairs leftist have turned some of these states into.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:05 PM
Coc5
CF Senior Member

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

"The families argued that the manufacturer, distributor and seller of the weapon negligently entrusted to civilian consumers an assault rifle that is suitable for use only by military and law enforcement personnel and violated the Connecticut Unfair Trade Practices Act (CUTPA) through the sale or wrongful marketing of the rifle."

The words used in the argument alone proves they already lost. An AR 15, technically is NOT an "assault rifle" as used by the military. Someone on the wrong side is hoping for a settlement.

Last edited by Coc5; 03-14-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:24 PM
woodman300
CF Senior Member

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I gope,the defendents in this case make the platiffs prove a crime was comitted. Actual forensic proof like crime scene photos.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:34 PM
C5pilot
CF Senior Member

Location: Be thankful we're not getting all the gov't we're paying for. S.E. PA
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Anyone can sue anyone. It doesn't mean they're going to win. It only means the attorneys will win.

Everyone KNOWS this is all about publicity and sjw. I hope it backfires on them big time.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:55 PM
Bubbletop409
CF Senior Member

Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts

[QUOTE=VETTRLZ;1599045470]

So I guess when that kid in elementary s chool stuck a plastic fork in my hand, my parents should have sued the plastic utensil manufacturer....

Makes sense.[/QUOTE

Hell I missed a golden parachute when I got stabbed in the knee by the gal sitting in front of me in math class, I could have been the owner of a pencil company. Still have a dark spot from the lead.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:07 AM
66jack
CF Senior Member

Liked 267 Times in 241 Posts

[QUOTE=Bubbletop409;1599047743]
Originally Posted by VETTRLZ View Post

So I guess when that kid in elementary s chool stuck a plastic fork in my hand, my parents should have sued the plastic utensil manufacturer....

Makes sense.[/QUOTE

Hell I missed a golden parachute when I got stabbed in the knee by the gal sitting in front of me in math class, I could have been the owner of a pencil company. Still have a dark spot from the lead.
You must have grabbed her ***...

Last edited by 66jack; 03-15-2019 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:30 AM
Randy G.
CF Senior Member

Liked 505 Times in 357 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette View Post
The next time a terrorist uses a car to run over pedestrians, I guess we should sue the manufacturer of the car?
...as well as the manufacturer of the paint they use to mark crosswalks on the asphalt. Crosswalks should be everywhere.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:03 AM
Peva
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTRLZ View Post

So I guess when that kid in elementary school stuck a plastic fork in my hand, my parents should have sued the plastic utensil manufacturer....

Makes sense.
Originally Posted by 66jack View Post
You're sounding more like AOC....
Iíll spork your ***!
Old 03-15-2019, 07:22 AM
CuzzinJack
CF Senior Member

Location: I've Been In The Woods Too Long To Be Frightened By An Owl
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally Posted by woodman300 View Post
I gope,the defendents in this case make the platiffs prove a crime was comitted. Actual forensic proof like crime scene photos.

I see what your trying to say there ....
Old 03-15-2019, 07:25 AM
69L46
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 52 Times in 32 Posts
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-Ď19

What's ironic is CT is still home to a number of high profile gun manufacturers, including Colt and Sturm, Ruger. For how much longer, anyone's guess.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:47 AM
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

Liked 413 Times in 381 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99 View Post
you can sue all ya want.....I think the manufacturer should sue his families estate for failure to secure their weapon thus causing harm to their company
EXCELLENT idea!!
Old 03-15-2019, 08:20 AM
grandpawmoses
CF Senior Member

Liked 68 Times in 33 Posts

That sets a slippery slope precedent. If someone runs a red light and hits me, could I sue the red light mfg because it did not make them stop?
Old 03-15-2019, 08:20 AM
ZumZum
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This will not end well for the plaintiffs. The lawyers are probably doing this pro bono in the hopes of getting Bushmaster to agree to a settlement.
No way this will stand up if it makes it to the SCOTUS.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:26 AM
Sifu-TZ
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by woodman300 View Post
whats the point behind showing pics of children who were shot to death?
Old 03-15-2019, 10:03 AM
BadUmp
CF Senior Member

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 66jack View Post
Just because it 'resembles' an 'infantry rifle', does not make it an ASSAULT RIFLE....

Connecticut’s highest court has cleared the way for families of nine victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting to sue over the marketing of the semiautomatic rifle Adam Lanza used to kill.

The families argued that the manufacturer, distributor and seller of the weapon negligently entrusted to civilian consumers an assault rifle that is suitable for use only by military and law enforcement personnel and violated the Connecticut Unfair Trade Practices Act (CUTPA) through the sale or wrongful marketing of the rifle.

The lawsuit, which lists Bushmaster Firearms International as the defendant, has already overcome years worth of legal hurdles after first being filed more than four years ago, more than two years after the shooting at the Connecticut school left 26 people dead.

The families released a statement saying that they are "grateful that our state’s Supreme Court has rejected the gun industry’s bid for complete immunity, not only from the consequences of their reckless conduct but also from the truth-seeking discovery process," said attorney Josh Koskoff of Koskoff, Koskoff & Bieder.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/court-rule...ry?id=61682953
I can't help but think that the Owner Manual which was issued for this weapon at the time (Part # 1001057 Revised 0813 c2006) more than covers this issue and exonerates the manufacturer, i.e.
"For all BUSHMASTER XM15 and C15 BUSHMASTER OPERATING AND SAFETY INSTRUCTION MANUAL"
in particular page 3,
"Note: For Law Enforcement and Military markets, Bushmaster makes similar models in either Full-Automatic (continuous fire as long as the trigger is pulled) or Three Round Burst (a group of 3 shots will fire as long as the trigger is pulled) configurations. Sales of these models require special permits and are regulated by ATF.";
and the last page,
"WARNING: IF THIS FIREARM IS CARELESSLY OR IMPROPERLY HANDLED, UNINTENTIONAL DISCHARGE COULD RESULT AND COULD CAUSE INJURY, DEATH, OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY.
CAUTION: CAREFULLY READ THIS INSTRUCTION MANUAL PRIOR TO LOADING AND FIRING THIS FIREARM. FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS ON THE PROPER HANDLING AND SAFE USE OF THIS FIREARM - LIVES MAY DEPEND ON IT!

one would think this would be sufficient to have the matter either dismissed; or, a judgement in favor of the manufacturer. But, that's up to the political intelligence of this court to decide now . . .

*note - nothing stated here is intended to infer or imply that said poster does own, has owned or would own such a item. Or that poster has now or ever has had such an item in their possession.

Last edited by BadUmp; 03-15-2019 at 10:11 AM. Reason: disclaimer
Old 03-15-2019, 10:07 AM
jasper711
CF Senior Member

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06 View Post
I disagree with this completely. With this logic, a family could sue an automaker for loss of life when a drunk kills a family member. This isn't the gun manufacturers responsibility at all

What about hammers? People can use hammers to bash skulls. Or frying pans. AOC even wants the banks that finance such manufacturers to be held liable, there is no end.

And if the manufacturer of a gun is held liable for the harmful purposes, will they also get rewarded for the 200,000 occurrences each year wherein a firearm is used to thwart violence?

Last edited by jasper711; 03-15-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:15 AM
BadUmp
CF Senior Member

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper711 View Post

What about hammers? People can use hammers to bash skulls. Or frying pans. AOC even wants the banks that finance such manufacturers to be held liable, there is no end.

And if the manufacturer of a gun is held liable for the harmful purposes, will they also get rewarded for the 200,000 occurrences each year wherein a firearm is used to thwart violence?
the materials that made the item came from somewhere, i.e. the companies who made the metal, the plastics, and all the companies who dug the materials to make those parts; and, are the employees who dug those materials also responsible and negligent too. Best to leave the lid on this box of worms I think . . .
Old 03-15-2019, 11:38 AM
Zealot
CF Senior Member

Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts

I love the lefty quote from the lawyer, "Remington’s calculated and profit-driven strategy". No ****? Profit-driven? They must be a company or something just like every other company on the planet.

And according the the CUPTA act, "ascertainable loss of money or property, real or personal, as a result of the use or employment of a method, act or practice prohibited by [CUTPA] may bring an action to recover actual damages". What exactly are they alleging their children were, money or property? What a crock of ****.

Z
Old 03-15-2019, 11:39 AM
steve_n_houston
CF Senior Member

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Lawyers are hoping for a lottery win for sure because, on the facts, this case is a dead loser.

However, I suspect they are backed by bigger forces and this is primarily a fact-finding mission:

The families released a statement saying that they are "grateful that our state’s Supreme Court has rejected the gun industry’s bid for complete immunity, not only from the consequences of their reckless conduct but also from the truth-seeking discovery process," said attorney Josh Koskoff of Koskoff, Koskoff & Bieder.
These guys want to dig through Bushmaster's documents looking for dirt/sound bites which, I suspect, they think will also lead them to get to dig through the files of other companies files, including at least the NRA.

Last edited by steve_n_houston; 03-15-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:59 AM
Gunsmith
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_n_houston View Post
Lawyers are hoping for a lottery win for sure because, on the facts, this case is a dead loser.

However, I suspect they are backed by bigger forces and this is primarily a fact-finding mission:

These guys want to dig through Bushmaster's documents looking for dirt/sound bites which, I suspect, they think will also lead them to get to dig through the files of other companies files, including at least the NRA.
It is pure politics. This is just a way to keep bad press on firearms in the news for the election cycle. The plaintiffs know this is a loser from the outset. As stated above this suit is being filed to get to other things unrelated to the stated issue. The families of the victims may not be in on the ruse but they will be used for the process.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Court rules Sandy Hook families can sue gunmaker over rifle used in shooting

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: