Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page >

First lawsuit filed regarding college admissions scandal

Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

First lawsuit filed regarding college admissions scandal

Old 03-14-2019, 04:21 PM
virtue4u
CF Senior Member

Default First lawsuit filed regarding college admissions scandal

I wonder if the middle class Dems will ever realize how much they are being screwed by the rich white Dems.

March 14 (Reuters) - The U.S. college admissions scandal that erupted this week has triggered private litigation accusing rich, well-connected parents of buying spots for their children at prestigious schools, and keeping children of less wealthy parents out.

A $500 billion civil lawsuit filed by a parent on Wednesday in San Francisco accused 45 defendants of defrauding and inflicting emotional distress on everyone whose "rights to a fair chance at entrance to college" were stolen through their alleged conspiracy.

In the largest known college admissions scandal in U.S. history, federal prosecutors on Tuesday said a California company made about $25 million by charging parents to secure spots for their children in elite schools, including Georgetown, Stanford and Yale, by cheating the admissions process.

Jennifer Kay Toy, a former teacher in Oakland, California, said she believed her son Joshua was not admitted to some colleges, despite his 4.2 grade point average, because wealthy parents thought it was "ok to lie, cheat, steal and bribe their children's way into a good college."

Toy did not say if any colleges admitted her only child, or where Joshua might have won admission but for any chicanery.

Her complaint was filed in California Superior Court. Toy's lawyer did not immediately respond on Thursday to a request for comment.

Fifty people, including 33 parents and many athletic coaches, were criminally charged in the scandal, which is being overseen by prosecutors in Boston.

Among the 50 were the actress Felicity Huffman, actress Lori Loughlin and her fashion designer husband Mossimo Giannulli, and TPG private equity partner William McGlashan Jr.

They are among the defendants in Toy's lawsuit, as is William Singer, the accused mastermind of the scheme.

Prosecutors said Singer since 2011 used his Edge College & Career Network and an affiliated nonprofit to help prospective students cheat on college admission tests and bribe coaches to inflate their athletic credentials.

Singer pleaded guilty on Tuesday to racketeering charges.

http://news.trust.org/item/20190314135743-dob9p
Old 03-14-2019, 04:25 PM
7vettes
CF Senior Member

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach

I can't believe that Orlando's prize ambulance chasers, Morgan & Morgan, weren't the first ones to strike.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:30 PM
TCracingCA
CF Senior Member

Damn everyone that had a kid turned down, can sue!!!!

Can I borrow someone’s kid, so I can get a lawsuit going too!
Old 03-14-2019, 06:59 PM
vette6799
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

College and grad school admissions are not on an even playing field.

Look up underrepresnted minorities in medical schools.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:02 PM
VETTRLZ
CF Senior Member

I'm all for the people responsible getting their asses sued off for this.... but $500 BILLION???!! Seriously??
Old 03-14-2019, 07:53 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own either a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by 7vettes View Post
I can't believe that Orlando's prize ambulance chasers, Morgan & Morgan, weren't the first ones to strike.

"For the People."
Old 03-14-2019, 07:57 PM
Z06 RB
CF Senior Member

Mine were smart enough to get into great colleges on their own.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:06 PM
SteveL2
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by vette6799 View Post

How does one measure "underrepresented?"

I'm all for the lawsuit and tired of the illicit favoritism. If it takes $500B for it to finally stop, good.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:15 PM
TCracingCA
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z06 RB View Post
Mine were smart enough to get into great colleges on their own.
I helped mine with their homework, so do you guys think I will be caught up in the arrests?

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-14-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:30 PM
TCracingCA
CF Senior Member

So when are they going to announce the corruption to get the Obama girls into college?????
Old 03-14-2019, 08:36 PM
vette6799
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by SteveL2 View Post
How does one measure "underrepresented?"

I'm all for the lawsuit and tired of the illicit favoritism. If it takes $500B for it to finally stop, good.
I suspect each university has its own set of benchmarks, but there is always a group of minority students who aren't unqualified, just not as qualified as a very large percentage of the entering class, particularly in better programs.

The intent of the favoritism is to have these URM's go back to areas that lack physicians, typically areas of poverty, but there is no requirement that they do so.

As a practical matter, college admissions is not a level playing field and I doubt it will ever be. Kids from homes with money go to better high schools and have parents with the resources to provide the classes for SAT/ACT, tutoring, etc. This latest scandal is something else altogether.

Last edited by vette6799; 03-14-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:39 PM
BHS.SWM
CF Senior Member

Wealthy people using gifts, influence and bribes to get their off spring into elite colleges, universities. I'm shocked, bowled over. To whom is this news?
Old 03-14-2019, 09:16 PM
Randy G.
CF Senior Member

$500 billion? That'll work.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:19 PM
vader86
CF Senior Member

No, they certainly arent. Anyone who has done graduate school sees it on the first day.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:19 AM
virtue4u
CF Senior Member

I suspect each university has its own set of benchmarks, but there is always a group of minority students who aren't unqualified, just not as qualified as a very large percentage of the entering class, particularly in better programs.

The intent of the favoritism is to have these URM's go back to areas that lack physicians, typically areas of poverty, but there is no requirement that they do so.

As a practical matter, college admissions is not a level playing field and I doubt it will ever be. Kids from homes with money go to better high schools and have parents with the resources to provide the classes for SAT/ACT, tutoring, etc. This latest scandal is something else altogether.
An author of a book on the subject appeared last night on Tucker.
She said the goal should be transparency to the point where all Admissions Directors of Universities are no longer needed.

Of course, it will never happen.
There is too much invested in affirmative action and seating rich white liberal children at the expense of the middle class.

At a minimum we can hope that these types of lawsuits make colleges more open and fair -- even if not entirely fair and open.

Last edited by virtue4u; 03-15-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:33 PM
BHS.SWM
CF Senior Member

You are kidding yourself if you believe wealthy, elite conservatives aren't buying their kid's way into college. It's a lot like the 2 tier " justice " system. One for the wealthy , one for everyone else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First lawsuit filed regarding college admissions scandal

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: