Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

More JOB OPENING'S than there are EMPLOYEE'S..

Old 03-15-2019, 01:42 PM
MagRedConv
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dr Bee View Post
This looks like a good strategy on paper and I agree with you. However... how many tradesmen do you expect to work for an hourly wage for 30-40 yrs while others go on to earn a lot more money for doing a lot less work (or earning 70% of their hourly wage for doing nothing)? And by a "lot less work" I'm speaking of the perception from the tradesmen's point of view. I earn 3-4x what my cable repair guy earns and I guarantee he works harder than me.
Did you come off welfare?
Old 03-15-2019, 01:56 PM
Dan47
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Red99SS View Post
Alright, then we need to stop paying people not to work, we need to stop shitting all over the idea of being a tradesman, and we need to stop sending kids to college for art history and women's studies. Cut the welfare standard of living while expanding access to vocational school. Create a direct path to marketable job skills. We don't have enough skilled applicants because we have a society where lazy slackers can slide by on life.
"We" don't do these things, our betters do. I don't see how we change the incentives when our votes only count for bad or worse?
Old 03-15-2019, 02:06 PM
Red99SS
CF Senior Member

This looks like a good strategy on paper and I agree with you. However... how many tradesmen do you expect to work for an hourly wage for 30-40 yrs while others go on to earn a lot more money for doing a lot less work (or earning 70% of their hourly wage for doing nothing)? And by a "lot less work" I'm speaking of the perception from the tradesmen's point of view. I earn 3-4x what my cable repair guy earns and I guarantee he works harder than me.
If you're making a quarter million dollars a year that's great for you and completely irrelevant to the discussion. But how is somebody going to pull in over $50k doing nothing?
Old 03-15-2019, 02:08 PM
Dr Bee
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Red99SS View Post
If you're making a quarter million dollars a year that's great for you and completely irrelevant to the discussion. But how is somebody going to pull in over $50k doing nothing?
Unemployment (in Texas) pays 70% of your recent income. I'm not suggesting it's $50k. But asking a tradesman to go back to work for $20/hr or stay at home and do nothing for $14/hr ...... some will absolutely take the "free money".
Old 03-15-2019, 02:10 PM
Red99SS
CF Senior Member

Unemployment (in Texas) pays 70% of your recent income. I'm not suggesting it's $50k. But asking a tradesman to go back to work for $20/hr or stay at home and do nothing for $14/hr ...... some will absolutely take the "free money".
I wouldn't work a trade for $20 either. That's what you pay a kid with a couple years experience.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:12 PM
KarlK
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by redvtt View Post
I've been turned down for jobs I know I was qualified for. The reason is I'm too old. They're looking for youngsters with qualifications. It's rare you will get both.
No doubt age discrimination exists, even in today's heated job market.

My company is slowly phasing me out, I see it, splitting up my territory, not in decision making meetings, no support. Writing is on the wall, I know it, but it's time to retire healthy and kind of young and I'm looking forward to it.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:22 PM
vette6799
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Dan47 View Post
I keep hearing that but would be interested in seeing if there might be something else behind this worker shortage. Do you have a link that shows some of these unfilled jobs and a general idea of their industry's mission?

As far as demand is concerned, I'm not seeing any shortages of products that I use?
Give this a shot:

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/jolts.nr0.htm
Old 03-15-2019, 04:01 PM
ClipperFan
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
My company has 50 opening right now, in management, engineering, and field techs. Amazing how many 100's of resumes HR goes through to just get a couple candidates to interview that are remotely qualified.
U might as well hire kids out of college and train them like some other companies do. Look into Trumps apprenticeship program
Old 03-15-2019, 04:17 PM
Dueysan
CF Senior Member

Yep I know of a concrete “worker” who refuses to work any job for less than $25 an hour.......he’s been out of work for a couple years while his girlfriend busts her @ss for pay in the teens. I know landscapers that every year collect unemployment five months out of the year. It’s a joke to them. I know able bodied people of sound mind that are somehow collecting SS Disability. All these programs are riddled with fraud. Cut taxes and eliminate the government welfare/“social safety network” gravy train and you’ll find workers galore.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:31 PM
Derrick Reynolds
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18

My company has 50 opening right now, in management, engineering, and field techs. Amazing how many 100's of resumes HR goes through to just get a couple candidates to interview that are remotely qualified.
And yet, I have multiple degrees, and decades of experience in my field, but I can't land an interview.

My son needed to pass 3 levels of testing to land an internship because the hiring company has not had success with college students from good schools with great grades being able to solve simple problems associated with their major. I would relish the opportunity to take tests on my problem solving abilities compared to those who apply for the same jobs I do, but I have never been afforded the opportunity.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:09 AM
Grzldvt1
CF Senior Member

I am running into a huge age discrimination issue. I specialize in Call Center/Technical Support turnarounds. Let's face who has not called into the Support line and had a positive experience? I fix it, the organizations I have worked with went from the low 2's out of 10 to 8+ out of 10 in Customer Sat scores. I get to the 1st interview, get rave reviews of "You are exactly what we need, let me line up the interview team!" Then silence... Really you are excited about me, then blow me off.....
Old 03-16-2019, 07:53 AM
MagRedConv
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Derrick Reynolds View Post
And yet, I have multiple degrees, and decades of experience in my field, but I can't land an interview.

My son needed to pass 3 levels of testing to land an internship because the hiring company has not had success with college students from good schools with great grades being able to solve simple problems associated with their major. I would relish the opportunity to take tests on my problem solving abilities compared to those who apply for the same jobs I do, but I have never been afforded the opportunity.
Originally Posted by Grzldvt1 View Post
I am running into a huge age discrimination issue. I specialize in Call Center/Technical Support turnarounds. Let's face who has not called into the Support line and had a positive experience? I fix it, the organizations I have worked with went from the low 2's out of 10 to 8+ out of 10 in Customer Sat scores. I get to the 1st interview, get rave reviews of "You are exactly what we need, let me line up the interview team!" Then silence... Really you are excited about me, then blow me off.....
No doubt age discrimination exists, even in today's heated job market.

My company is slowly phasing me out, I see it, splitting up my territory, not in decision making meetings, no support. Writing is on the wall, I know it, but it's time to retire healthy and kind of young and I'm looking forward to it.

I feel for you all. This is no different from racial discrimination. An age affirmative action plan needs to be rolled out perhaps.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:46 AM
Suns_PSD
CF Senior Member

I think this might be part of the problem: "...as employers continue to seek qualified applicants to fill positions..."

Total guess here but I'm not so sure the majority of welfare recipients are qualified for much. Those on unemployment benefits need to get back to work ASAP given they were recently qualified for some type of work.
I began an environmental services trucking company in mid 2017 and have had, bumpy, but very steady growth and have really hit my stride lately. Last week I hired my 16th employee of all time (not total current employees, but that is all employees ever hired).

Had pretty good luck at first, I paid well above average and I guess I got lucky because in the beginning I thought I was immune to the constant turn over.

Well let me tell you, the average person that applies for this sort of job, simply does not possess the necessary intelligence, mechanical aptitude, work ethic, and skills to function at a decent level. Our business requires you to really think and work hard but I reward you for it (I have my top 2 guys bringing in over $4K every 2 weeks, not bad for a couple of ex-cons).

Not sure I even have a point except to say, I don't know where this takes us. I'm telling you that 'average intelligence isn't that high, and when it comes to manual labor applicants most of them are well below that average IQ.

As a society it concerns me as 'shovel ready jobs' seem to go away and at least 25% of the population isn't qualified for anything else. As a nation we could have a crisis on our hands if basic jobs for idiots at a livable wage go away, I assume they wouldn't have much choice except to turn to crime. And that's terrible for them, and society.

Until you have hired and worked with people in this category, you can't comprehend how incapable many actually are. Physical laziness is actually only a small part of the problem (although it's a component) it's mostly they are just unable. So the most basic tasks that seem simple to me (i.e. go swap out that hydraulic pump attached to that tote) becomes really frustrating to them and 2 hours later I'm, as the boss, am over there doing it myself in 10 minutes in my dress shirt.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 03-16-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:49 AM
Suns_PSD
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 65Z01 View Post
Let us not forget it's been estimated that ~10% of our population is so far "South" on The Bell that they cannot be trained to do anything useful. That's about 3.3M dregs/drags upon society.
Not sure where this came from, but I believe it. Well it seems a bit low actually.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:53 AM
Suns_PSD
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by MagRedConv View Post
I feel for you all. This is no different from racial discrimination. An age affirmative action plan needs to be rolled out perhaps.
Agreed.

These employers are really missing out on some talent imo.

I will tell you that my Health Insurance costs really rise with an older worker so it's hard not to take that in to account.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:00 AM
Suns_PSD
CF Senior Member

Up to $465 per week max, which you still pay taxes on.

That's chicken scratch and only available if you were making considerably more than that before being layed off. It's not available if you were fired. And your benefits run out in exactly 50% of the time you worked at the previous FT job. Many of these applicants only worked at the job for 3 months so that means benefits run out in like 6 weeks . Truck driver's make $6k per month and nearly anyone can do it so I don't see how unemployment is a good deal for anyone.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:05 AM
Suns_PSD
CF Senior Member

Those sort of Tech jobs are peaceful and relatively easy compared to a corporate professional job. It's nice to drive around, not be answering a bunch of bullshit phone calls literally every 45 seconds, be outside moving your body, etc...

What you consider 'harder work' I consider a quality life that is relaxing and frankly really easy. And yes I've done carpentry, installed electronics, and done other trades in my youth. These are relaxing peaceful jobs compared to the corporate grind. Corporate people are paid more because their jobs are much harder mentally and take a much higher toll on your health.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:25 AM
maybelooking
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dan47 View Post
Getting out of debt is the first and most important step. Not only does that create the Austrian definition of "deflation" in this system ( like throwing holy water on a demon lol), it removes the self-imposed servitude. Storing Savings has rendered me a "Gold Bug" though I do have some stored in real estate and a little exposure in the paper markets. Lastly is finding an alternative medium of exchange which has been the most difficult for me. The current dollar system protects its monopoly quite aggressively. I've managed to conduct a few exchanges with silver eagles but it isn't particularly efficient and hasn't caught on with the larger public. I don't understand nor trust blockchain systems such as bitcoin but I'm keeping an eye on them.
Just got done paying off all debt except the mortgage (10 years left) and two cars. The vette is purely a pleasure vehicle and I could sell it if I needed to. Plan on paying it off and keeping it.

It feels so empowering to not have any CC debt at all. It took me a long time to learn that. But better late than never I suppose.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:58 AM
Dr Bee
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
I began an environmental services trucking company in mid 2017 and have had, bumpy, but very steady growth and have really hit my stride lately. Last week I hired my 16th employee of all time (not total current employees, but that is all employees ever hired).

Had pretty good luck at first, I paid well above average and I guess I got lucky because in the beginning I thought I was immune to the constant turn over.

Well let me tell you, the average person that applies for this sort of job, simply does not possess the necessary intelligence, mechanical aptitude, work ethic, and skills to function at a decent level. Our business requires you to really think and work hard but I reward you for it (I have my top 2 guys bringing in over $4K every 2 weeks, not bad for a couple of ex-cons).

Not sure I even have a point except to say, I don't know where this takes us. I'm telling you that 'average intelligence isn't that high, and when it comes to manual labor applicants most of them are well below that average IQ.

As a society it concerns me as 'shovel ready jobs' seem to go away and at least 25% of the population isn't qualified for anything else. As a nation we could have a crisis on our hands if basic jobs for idiots at a livable wage go away, I assume they wouldn't have much choice except to turn to crime. And that's terrible for them, and society.

Until you have hired and worked with people in this category, you can't comprehend how incapable many actually are. Physical laziness is actually only a small part of the problem (although it's a component) it's mostly they are just unable. So the most basic tasks that seem simple to me (i.e. go swap out that hydraulic pump attached to that tote) becomes really frustrating to them and 2 hours later I'm, as the boss, am over there doing it myself in 10 minutes in my dress shirt.
That's disturbing. I've often discussed the confusion between knowledge and intelligence (they're different yet people get them confused) and am guessing---at the population level---our knowledge is increasing and our intelligence is decreasing. Sounds simplistic but I think it's related to Idiocracy (the movie). The least capable among us have much higher birth rates than the most capable. After a while it's simple math....

Congrats on your business
Old 03-16-2019, 11:17 AM
ThePigWhisperer
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1 View Post
Find a lawyer that specializes in age discrimination lawsuits and start filing lawsuits. They WILL settle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More JOB OPENING'S than there are EMPLOYEE'S..

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: