Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

More JOB OPENING'S than there are EMPLOYEE'S..

Old 03-15-2019, 10:13 AM
66jack
CF Senior Member

Default More JOB OPENING'S than there are EMPLOYEE'S..

Job vacancies jumped to a fresh high of 7.6 million in January as employers continue to seek qualified applicants to fill positions, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Friday.

The Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey, which measures the level of employment vacancies as well as how many workers left their jobs and the reasons for the separations, has been indicating a continued swell of employment opportunities.

The January survey was expected to show 7.31 million openings against Decemberís 7.34 million.

The survey again showed considerably more openings against available labor, a sign of a tightening market. An earlier BLS report indicated 6.5 million Americans qualified as unemployed in January, the most recent month for which data were available.

Openings surged in government jobs, with 59,000 more available. Wholesale trade also showed a gain of 91,000, real estate and rental and leasing increased by 60,000 and information rose by 42,000. Areas seeing fewer openings were ďother servicesĒ at a decline of 98,000, retail declined by 97,000 and arts entertainment and recreation was off 40,000.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/15/jolt...-estimate.html
Old 03-15-2019, 10:15 AM
Red99SS
CF Senior Member

Stop paying people to not work and the problem goes away.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:28 AM
Dr Bee
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Red99SS View Post
I think this might be part of the problem: "...as employers continue to seek qualified applicants to fill positions..."

Total guess here but I'm not so sure the majority of welfare recipients are qualified for much. Those on unemployment benefits need to get back to work ASAP given they were recently qualified for some type of work.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:41 AM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 3,362 Times in 2,666 Posts

A friend runs a construction company with Disney contracts. Half of the candidates for jobs fail the drug test. Another 20% bail after 2 weeks of real work. Some of the rest are habitually late or absent. Iím glad Iím not a manger anymore.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:42 AM
Dan47
CF Senior Member

Cost of living versus wages too. I think using debt based currency, which creates the need for infinite growth and empowers a monopoly gov’t/bank cartel, is clearly at the heart of the matter. Welfare users didn’t create welfare, they are the smart money at the bottom of this corrupt monetary system.

Boycotting the dollar and dollar system when possible, is the solution.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:48 AM
Dr Bee
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dan47 View Post
Cost of living versus wages too. I think using debt based currency, which creates the need for infinite growth and empowers a monopoly govít/bank cartel, is clearly at the heart of the matter. Welfare users didnít create welfare, they are the smart money at the bottom of this corrupt monetary system.

Boycotting the dollar and dollar system when possible, is the solution.
Out of curiosity... how do you (yourself) do this?
Old 03-15-2019, 10:48 AM
KarlK
CF Senior Member

My company has 50 opening right now, in management, engineering, and field techs. Amazing how many 100's of resumes HR goes through to just get a couple candidates to interview that are remotely qualified.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:51 AM
vette6799
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

That doesn't solve a good piece of the problem. There have been millions of unfilled vacancies going back to the early years of Obama. There aren't people with the skills to fill the jobs.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:01 AM
MagRedConv
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Potential solution

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
A friend runs a construction company with Disney contracts. Half of the candidates for jobs fail the drug test. Another 20% bail after 2 weeks of real work. Some of the rest are habitually late or absent. Iím glad Iím not a manger anymore.
Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
My company has 50 opening right now, in management, engineering, and field techs. Amazing how many 100's of resumes HR goes through to just get a couple candidates to interview that are remotely qualified.
Reality
Old 03-15-2019, 11:19 AM
65Z01
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In II Veteran

Let us not forget it's been estimated that ~10% of our population is so far "South" on The Bell that they cannot be trained to do anything useful. That's about 3.3M dregs/drags upon society.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:27 PM
Dan47
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dr Bee View Post
Out of curiosity... how do you (yourself) do this?
Getting out of debt is the first and most important step. Not only does that create the Austrian definition of "deflation" in this system ( like throwing holy water on a demon lol), it removes the self-imposed servitude. Storing Savings has rendered me a "Gold Bug" though I do have some stored in real estate and a little exposure in the paper markets. Lastly is finding an alternative medium of exchange which has been the most difficult for me. The current dollar system protects its monopoly quite aggressively. I've managed to conduct a few exchanges with silver eagles but it isn't particularly efficient and hasn't caught on with the larger public. I don't understand nor trust blockchain systems such as bitcoin but I'm keeping an eye on them.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:41 PM
Dan47
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by vette6799 View Post
That doesn't solve a good piece of the problem. There have been millions of unfilled vacancies going back to the early years of Obama. There aren't people with the skills to fill the jobs.
I keep hearing that but would be interested in seeing if there might be something else behind this worker shortage. Do you have a link that shows some of these unfilled jobs and a general idea of their industry's mission?

As far as demand is concerned, I'm not seeing any shortages of products that I use?
Old 03-15-2019, 12:56 PM
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member

Which is the direction we seem to keep going
Old 03-15-2019, 01:07 PM
Dr Bee
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dan47 View Post
Getting out of debt is the first and most important step. Not only does that create the Austrian definition of "deflation" in this system ( like throwing holy water on a demon lol), it removes the self-imposed servitude. Storing Savings has rendered me a "Gold Bug" though I do have some stored in real estate and a little exposure in the paper markets. Lastly is finding an alternative medium of exchange which has been the most difficult for me. The current dollar system protects its monopoly quite aggressively. I've managed to conduct a few exchanges with silver eagles but it isn't particularly efficient and hasn't caught on with the larger public. I don't understand nor trust blockchain systems such as bitcoin but I'm keeping an eye on them.
Interesting. I have no debt except for a mortgage which I don't consider bad debt outside the context of your post. Otherwise I don't owe anything to anyone which I've always been proud of. When I was halfway through your post I thought "I wonder what Dan thinks of bitcoin..." and now I know. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:13 PM
redvtt
CF Senior Member

Location: All great change begins at the dinner table Ronald Reagan

Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
I've been turned down for jobs I know I was qualified for. The reason is I'm too old. They're looking for youngsters with qualifications. It's rare you will get both.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:21 PM
pologreen1
CF Senior Member

****, social media, and hand outs= more jobs than workers.

Who wants to work any other place or way? Yeah, lets all raise our hands to work for someone else to make them millions while you struggle with inflated costs, and feel like a slave for 8+ hours a day AT LEAST 5 days a week.

The game is ending, the millenials figured it out and adapted quiet well. Time to send more business over seas until they charge more.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:24 PM
Dan47
CF Senior Member

Interesting. I have no debt except for a mortgage which I don't consider bad debt outside the context of your post. Otherwise I don't owe anything to anyone which I've always been proud of. When I was halfway through your post I thought "I wonder what Dan thinks of bitcoin..." and now I know. Thanks.
You are welcome and congrats on living debt free, (mostly lol).
Old 03-15-2019, 01:32 PM
Red99SS
CF Senior Member

I think this might be part of the problem: "...as employers continue to seek qualified applicants to fill positions..."

Total guess here but I'm not so sure the majority of welfare recipients are qualified for much. Those on unemployment benefits need to get back to work ASAP given they were recently qualified for some type of work.
Alright, then we need to stop paying people not to work, we need to stop shitting all over the idea of being a tradesman, and we need to stop sending kids to college for art history and women's studies. Cut the welfare standard of living while expanding access to vocational school. Create a direct path to marketable job skills. We don't have enough skilled applicants because we have a society where lazy slackers can slide by on life.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:35 PM
MagRedConv
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Alright, then we need to stop paying people not to work, we need to stop shitting all over the idea of being a tradesman, and we need to stop sending kids to college for art history and women's studies. Cut the welfare standard of living while expanding access to vocational school. Create a direct path to marketable job skills. We don't have enough skilled applicants because we have a society where lazy slackers can slide by on life.
And no voting rights until all is completed. Those on the dole have no say.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:40 PM
Dr Bee
CF Senior Member

This looks like a good strategy on paper and I agree with you. However... how many tradesmen do you expect to work for an hourly wage for 30-40 yrs while others go on to earn a lot more money for doing a lot less work (or earning 70% of their hourly wage for doing nothing)? And by a "lot less work" I'm speaking of the perception from the tradesmen's point of view. I earn 3-4x what my cable repair guy earns and I guarantee he works harder than me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More JOB OPENING'S than there are EMPLOYEE'S..

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: