Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Newark, NJ Mayor proposes UBI

Old 03-18-2019, 10:36 AM
69L46
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-‘19
Default Newark, NJ Mayor proposes UBI

Newark.

Because the city has reached the level of success where it can entertain such nonsense.

https://www.nj.com/essex/2019/03/cha...e-for-all.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Newark, Mayor Ras Baraka said, doesn’t have the privilege to do nothing.

So when Amazon comes calling, officials jump at the opportunity. When celebrities want to build here, Newark opens the door. And when poverty continues to plague generation of residents, Baraka makes a bold pitch: a guaranteed income for all.

During his fifth State of the City address Tuesday night at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center, Baraka for the first time publicly said the city was exploring a pilot program for universal basic income.

Though he released no details, the program generally provides all residents, regardless of employment, a guaranteed income. Baraka said the city was launching an exploratory taskforce to see if such a program was feasible.

“The problems we have belong to all of us, not just a few of us so the solutions must be collective and not individual,” Baraka said, after touting the city’s progress and urging stakeholders to help continue building toward a better Newark.

“We believe in universal basic income, especially in a time where studies have shown that families that have a crisis of just $400 in a month may experience a setback that may be difficult, even impossible, to recover from,” he said, adding that one-third of the city’s 280,000 residents still live in poverty.

Baraka, who wore a black simple tunic and black pants, walked onto a lightless, darkened stage Tuesday night during an address that resembled more of a TED Talk than a traditional annual state of the city.

“I was an activist in 1989 when I led students at Howard University ... I was an activist when I organized marches to City Hall,” Baraka said. “The difference is, now I am the mayor of one of the oldest and most important cities in this country."

He continued, "I cannot afford to be just an activist, I have to have a mind to build. And I have to do all that I can to get all of you to agree to be builders with me as well.”

Baraka, who was re-elected last year to his second term leading the state’s largest city, urged residents, businesses and community leaders to work with him to build a better Newark. He said it was no longer enough to fight on the sidelines or yell at board meetings.

“We do not have the privilege to do nothing, to rail against development in our city,” Baraka said, making a pointed critique at those who doubted Newark’s chances of securing Amazon’s second headquarters or criticized the city’s eagerness to land the 50,000-job deal.

“It’s a privileged position to say we reject jobs ... when our people are unemployed, we have no right to walk away from a deal like that.”

But Baraka’s not bitter Amazon didn’t pick Newark.

“We made it to the game and we still playing,” he said. “We are courting the world through the vehicle of Amazon.”

Passionate and at times fiery, Baraka underscored the idea of building together -- building new pipelines to educate young people, building new programs to hire locals and building opportunities for homeownership.

“We don’t build the city for position. We don’t build the city for an opportunity to advance to another political career. We don’t build this city simply because we want to put ourselves on our pedestal. We build this city because we have a mind to,” Baraka said.

Baraka said he’ll also be soon welcome Freedom Paper, a new paper producing company, owned and employed by people released from prison.

New job creation and training programs have helped more than 3,000 youth (ages 14-24) work in the city and 45 residents have been hired through the city’s initiative to get anchor institutions to hire 2,020 residents by the year 2020. The City Council also recently passed an ordinance to facilitate employee who collectively want to buy their business.

Baraka also spoke about an array of Newark’s initiatives around development, housing, education, public safety and youth initiatives. A large screen behind him displayed a series of videos highlighting the city’s new programs throughout his address.

“If you have not hired Newark employees then you are missing the boat. If you are not spending money with local businesses then your use in our town is waning,” he said. “We need you to be a part of Newark’s growth.”

Lt. Governor Sheila Oliver, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and members of the city council were all in attendance Tuesday.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:38 AM
theandies
CF Senior Member

Location: "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
Liked 292 Times in 246 Posts

Old 03-18-2019, 10:52 AM
RJ-92
CF Senior Member

Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts

This is Brilliant. I'm sure it will eliminate poverty and the mayor will be a hero.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:50 AM
MagRedConv
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts

Absolutely NOTHING will go wrong with this.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:52 AM
Mr D.
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 228 Times in 211 Posts

People of Newark must be proud, they voted for this and it's coming true.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:53 AM
GreyHawk
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally Posted by MagRedConv View Post
Absolutely NOTHING will go wrong with this.

Just like it was successful in the past when tried!
Old 03-18-2019, 11:58 AM
7vettes
CF Senior Member

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hizzhonor is already running hard for reelection.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:03 PM
FLA-C3
CF Senior Member

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

And when poverty continues to plague generation of residents....
Now wait just a cotton pickin minute. How can poverty still plague the residents of Newark? Didn't Cory Booker used to be the mayor of Newark?
Old 03-18-2019, 12:15 PM
GhostTX
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And people aren't taxed enough already....
Old 03-18-2019, 04:13 PM
theandies
CF Senior Member

Location: "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
Liked 292 Times in 246 Posts

Originally Posted by FLA-C3 View Post
Now wait just a cotton pickin minute. How can poverty still plague the residents of Newark? Didn't Cory Booker used to be the mayor of Newark?
Racist
Old 03-18-2019, 06:30 PM
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

Liked 413 Times in 381 Posts

Originally Posted by FLA-C3 View Post
Old 03-18-2019, 06:34 PM
Red99SS
CF Senior Member

Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts

Same question as every crack pot progressive communists plan: Who's paying for that?

Simple answer is I am. So what this guy is telling me is that he's going to solve the problem of families not having enough money by making sure more families have less money. This is modern progressive communism.

Last edited by Red99SS; 03-18-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:59 AM
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

Liked 413 Times in 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Red99SS View Post
Same question as every crack pot progressive communists plan: Who's paying for that?

Simple answer is I am. So what this guy is telling me is that he's going to solve the problem of families not having enough money by making sure more families have less money. This is modern progressive communism.

"Factory work" may not have been a glamorous job, but it put a roof over millions, literally, of American people, over the years, as well as food in their stomachs, clothes on their backs, TVs in their living rooms, and cars, maybe even Corvettes, in their driveways. Did these factories, that made the goods like building materials for those homes, TVs, washing machines, telephones, and cars, create some waste by-products? Yes, they did, and some of them might have unknowingly been hazardous.

Over time, some of these hazards were dealt with, in a rational manner, and given more time, the rest could have been dealt with, in a rational manner. But there was a cancer invading America, a cancer called "liberalism", and the mindset of this cancer called for IMMEDIATE action. Either fix the problem "yesterday" or close the factory. Many factories were closed up, the pollution sent elsewhere, but the people, now jobless, remained. What to do??

The liberal solution to the problem is simple, confiscate more from those still working, and if it's not enough, simply print more money. Then spread it around to everyone, so we all have an equal income. The inmates have seized control of the asylum!!!

Old 03-19-2019, 09:11 AM
Walford
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red99SS View Post

Maybe I'm gullible, but he's talking about jobs more than hand-outs. If he can do half of what he preaches, okay.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:47 PM
Patsgarage
CF Senior Member

Liked 359 Times in 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Walford View Post
Maybe I'm gullible, but he's talking about jobs more than hand-outs. If he can do half of what he preaches, okay.
I have more experience with the people of Newark that I want to, and trust me, they are not looking to work for that money. There are plenty of reasons that Newark has gone completely downhill in the last 75 years, one just has to look at who has been in charge.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:43 PM
KenHorse
AOC = All Out Communist
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
Liked 877 Times in 600 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Ougha propose UB40
Old 03-20-2019, 08:00 AM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 3,512 Times in 2,774 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post

"Factory work" may not have been a glamorous job, but it put a roof over millions, literally, of American people, over the years, as well as food in their stomachs, clothes on their backs, TVs in their living rooms, and cars, maybe even Corvettes, in their driveways. Did these factories, that made the goods like building materials for those homes, TVs, washing machines, telephones, and cars, create some waste by-products? Yes, they did, and some of them might have unknowingly been hazardous.
Abso - freakin - loutely... I come from a family of steel mill workers and the wife is a coal miner's daughter, I worked on an aircraft assembly line for 8 years early in my career.... We washed the hydraulic fluid off the airplanes by slinging 5 gallon buckets of Freon around; I've been under airplane wings when I got showered by the stuff. I still haven't grown a second head...

To the point, so as Spartacus Booker wants, say we give everybody $50K income now - yeah just give it to the indolent. So a few of us, on paper, are still making $70K, $90K or more.....does anybody think the cries of "income inequality" will stop ?

<sound of crickets>

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newark, NJ Mayor proposes UBI

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: