Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Elizabeth Holmes getting charged! Big scammer!

Old 03-20-2019, 08:28 PM
TCracingCA
CF Senior Member

Liked 298 Times in 265 Posts
Default Elizabeth Holmes getting charged! Big scammer!

Should be plenty of links on this! But she was touted as the next great inventor. Even famous rich people invested in her. She was a Stanford dropout. She believed if she talked in a deep voice, it nets woman more income, and her chosen voice is freaky! She was only 19 when she got her idea! She wasn’t even the inventor. Walmart bought a bunch of mock units to put in their stores, but it never worked. These were claimed machines that could run 200 tests on one sample of blood! She had everyone sign super serious non-disclosure agreements, so no one could talk about her product at all! It never worked, was never tested! Basically she invented nothing and walked away with 100 million!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 03-20-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:34 PM
66jack
CF Senior Member

Liked 267 Times in 241 Posts

'clock boy' comes to mind...it 'bombed'..
Old 03-20-2019, 08:44 PM
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member

Liked 772 Times in 597 Posts

Sneaky woman.
I followed the Theranos story start to finish.
It was weird how so many people fell for it.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:58 PM
63 340HP
CF Senior Member

Liked 448 Times in 278 Posts

Theranos and the CEO, Elizabeth Holmes, who claimed to develop technology and a machine to provide a complete blood analysis from less than a thimble of blood, and took over $1 Billion from investors before people who questioned the claims started to be heard. People believed her hype and her BOD that included normally astute people like George Shultz and General Jim Mattis (who had no idea of her deception, but fought releasing the truth of the deception until it was exposed in print).

HBO has a new documentary out in rotation, and the scam has been covered in a number of expanded news pieces.
The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley

Riveting look at the now-defunct company Theranos and its enigmatic founder and CEO Elizabeth Holmes, whose ambition to revolutionize blood testing through biotechnology spawned one of the biggest frauds in Silicon Valley.
Theranos is a story about a fraud that was considered too big to publish, with skeptical opinions and concerns being silenced while people's lives were at risk, much like many other "scientific" frauds.

Watch:
https://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/th...-part-61720533

Read:
https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...-holmes-2018-5
The blood-testing startup had racked up a $9 billion valuation with its big vision to test for a number of conditions using a small sample of blood, and its CEO Elizabeth Holmes was featured on the covers of business magazines and lists of top executives. But then questions started being raised about how the company's technology worked.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:00 PM
coletrickle35
CF Senior Member

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

Elizabeth Holmes... to the pit of misery!
Old 03-20-2019, 10:00 PM
Platoface
CF Senior Member

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Wonder how much Wal Mart was taken for?
Old 03-20-2019, 10:03 PM
63 340HP
CF Senior Member

Liked 448 Times in 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Platoface View Post
$140 million, before the settlement.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:44 AM
SPIVET
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A fraud who sold a false bill of goods...hmmm...demonCRAP DNA?
Old 03-21-2019, 05:12 AM
Waytofastvette2006
CF Senior Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

And yet in 2014 when my wife was just starting her career as a pharmacist at Walgreens telling me the theranos blood test is a joke and there’s way to much risk of contamination with just a single drop of blood.

The crazy part is she didn’t escape the USA to a non extradition country when she had the chance
Old 03-21-2019, 07:24 AM
Trapper Sean
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

An experienced medical lab industry consultant checked into it on behalf of Walgreens and advised them it was BS and don't invest. They ignored him.

The popular will to believe in fairy tales like MMGW, carbon dioxide as a pollutant, and the Theranos blood testing revolution is apparently more fun than sticking with the old regular science.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:37 AM
blaforce
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader View Post
Sneaky woman.
Al Gore comes to mind.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:54 AM
nj02vette
CF Senior Member

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Platoface View Post
Originally Posted by 63 340HP View Post
$140 million, before the settlement.
It was Walgreens, not Walmart.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:29 AM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 3,510 Times in 2,773 Posts

Sneaky woman.
Shades of Bernie Madoff....

When it looks like you are making killer money or flogging the competition, and all your smart friends are doing the same, everybody can't be wrong ? Correct ?

I call this willful lack of due diligence..

What's riotous is how her face was on the cover of every financial rag for a while as the "youngest" this and "the first female" that...

Nobody was looking beyond the pretty face and sexy story...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-21-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:31 AM
BAMvette
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Criminal charges against her and her partner Sunny are pending. I hope they both do serious time.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:08 PM
theandies
CF Senior Member

Location: "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
Liked 292 Times in 246 Posts

Originally Posted by 63 340HP View Post
Theranos and the CEO, Elizabeth Holmes, who claimed to develop technology and a machine to provide a complete blood analysis from less than a thimble of blood, and took over $1 Billion from investors before people who questioned the claims started to be heard. People believed her hype and her BOD that included normally astute people like George Shultz and General Jim Mattis (who had no idea of her deception, but fought releasing the truth of the deception until it was exposed in print).

HBO has a new documentary out in rotation, and the scam has been covered in a number of expanded news pieces.

Theranos is a story about a fraud that was considered too big to publish, with skeptical opinions and concerns being silenced while people's lives were at risk, much like many other "scientific" frauds.

Watch:
https://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/th...-part-61720533

Read:
https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...-holmes-2018-5
I just watched that last night. Why was that the first time I've heard of this bitch or Theranos? Why is this not in the MSM? What a creepy bitch and her #2 wasn't much better. Also their main bio-engineer (I think that was what his credentials were) committed suicide because of a bunch of reasons at Theranos.
BTW - It wasn't Walmart that setup the bogus machines with Theranos it was Walgreens Pharmacy just for clarification.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:15 PM
colo63sw
CF Senior Member

Liked 53 Times in 48 Posts

Originally Posted by theandies View Post
I just watched that last night. Why was that the first time I've heard of this bitch or Theranos? Why is this not in the MSM? What a creepy bitch and her #2 wasn't much better. Also their main bio-engineer (I think that was what his credentials were) committed suicide because of a bunch of reasons at Theranos.
BTW - It wasn't Walmart that setup the bogus machines with Theranos it was Walgreens Pharmacy just for clarification.
60 minutes did an expos'e on her months ago.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:17 PM
VETTRLZ
CF Senior Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

For those who need a primer.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:17 PM
Tri-Tip
CF Senior Member

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally Posted by theandies View Post
It has been all over the MSM, you just haven't noticed it.

I'm reading the book about it, Bad Blood, this woman was totally delusional, lied to the faces of CEOs and got away with it for a long time. I literally laughed out loud at some of the thinks she and Sunny supposedly said. I especially liked the line where someone quit and they called the cops and when they cop came to the office and asked what was stolen, they said "he has things in his head" (or something to that effect).

Hope she does some serious time.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:20 PM
GhostTX
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If it's too good to be true...
Old 03-21-2019, 03:19 PM
RandomTask
CF Senior Member

Liked 132 Times in 92 Posts

First, a little late as this has been happening since OCT.

Second, a little bit of a side gripe; Daniel Warmenhoven was (is?) on the board of Theranos. [Source = https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...sts-2018-10-16]

Warmenhoven told MarketWatch he blames engineers for the final sinking of Theranos. “They lost the recipe. The tests were not coming out right. That 60 to 90 days extra to figure it out took away the runway we thought we had.”
Yup, nothing to do with the fraud, deceit, terrible business practices, intimidation of employee’s, etc. . . It’s those pesky engineers that caused this failure. . .Couldn’t be mgmt because they’re all geniuses. . .

So when people ask “Who cares what they (CEO’s) make?” It’s examples like this. They’ll lie to investors, make terrible decisions, and tank a company and when SHTF, after they’ve left making tons of money, they’ll blame the little guy.

Sneaky woman.
Not on such a large scale but Energous (WATT). . .

Don’t have a product, keep missing deadlines, burning through cash, but have an IPO that’s trading at $6.26 a share. (Down from $16 a share a year ago. . .around the same time I made a thread about shorting them. . .)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Elizabeth Holmes getting charged! Big scammer!

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: