Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Why do you pray? Purpose of prayer?

Old 04-15-2019, 08:28 AM
tempest62
CF Senior Member

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

My wife prays but I don't.

I believe in God as a diety, and not interactive with humankind. How arrogant of me to believe otherwise. This world isn't about me, nor about the ultimate in selfishness - to believe one can be "saved" and go to "heaven". There is no heaven nor is there no hell.

And no, I don't believe Jesus Christ walked away from his tomb, nor do I believe in an immaculate conception......nor do I believe in magic or miracles.

I do believe in circumstance and chance. I do think it might be possible that an "energy" leaves us when we pass on. To where it goes I have no ******* idea......maybe it simply dissipates and that's it.

edit: I was about 24 or so hrs. away from death on the operating table last November. The idea of praying to God to save myself was unthinkable. I don't use him for my selfish needs. My death would have nothing to do with him, and vice versa. My wife is astonished I didn't "change my mind" after facing death. How arrogant and selfish it would be of me to follow her thinking.

Last edited by tempest62; 04-15-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:46 AM
SPIVET
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally Posted by tempest62 View Post

I believe in God as a diety, and not interactive with humankind. How arrogant of me to believe otherwise. This world isn't about me, nor about the ultimate in selfishness - to believe one can be "saved" and go to "heaven". There is no heaven nor is there no hell.

And no, I don't believe Jesus Christ walked away from his tomb, nor do I believe in an immaculate conception......nor do I believe in magic or miracles.

I do believe in circumstance and chance. I do think it might be possible that an "energy" leaves us when we pass on. To where it goes I have no ******* idea......maybe it simply dissipates and that's it.

edit: I was about 24 or so hrs. away from death on the operating table last November. The idea of praying to God to save myself was unthinkable. I don't use him for my selfish needs. My death would have nothing to do with him, and vice versa. My wife is astonished I didn't "change my mind" after facing death. How arrogant and selfish it would be of me to follow her thinking.
You should be grateful for your wife and pray she doesn't leave your sorry a$$ based on your last sentence implying she is arrogant and selfish.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:59 AM
juanvaldez
CF Senior Member

Liked 353 Times in 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Zrxmax View Post
And you wonder why life is the way it is.
My life is good!
Old 04-15-2019, 10:02 AM
Shaka
CF Senior Member

Liked 471 Times in 293 Posts

Originally Posted by SPIVET View Post
You should be grateful for your wife and pray she doesn't leave your sorry a$$ based on your last sentence implying she is arrogant and selfish.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:08 AM
Dr Bee
CF Senior Member

Liked 54 Times in 39 Posts

To be fair to your wife, it's not "her thinking", it's a popular opinion shared by billions which probably explains why she adopted those thoughts.

You don't sound like a religious person but instead more of a spiritual person. One of the key differences I've seen between the two is lack of ego. I'm not suggesting you don't have an ego, but it seems like you set your ego aside when considering god and your place in the universe. I have a lot of respect for those people (add that up and it's not a lot of effort on my part, there are very few who believe in god yet avoid the egocentric elements of that "relationship").
Old 04-15-2019, 10:11 AM
ZEN357
CF Senior Member

Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts

Originally Posted by brassplyer View Post
I'd like to keep this a non-confrontational thread, just looking for insight. What do you feel is the purpose, what do you feel prayer is, what it does/doesn't do.

I'm deliberately not specifying a particular religion.
I'm a recovering Catholic. My family grew up going to Church every week and observed the holy days, blah, blah, blah. When I was 18 I left Catholic school and went to public school. Thank God!!!! At that point I stopped going to church or practicing the Catholic faith. Now with that said, I am spiritual and I do believe in a higher being/cause. I wouldn't say I pray, but rather talk to a higher being. Mostly I just ask for guidance through my day and to keep myself and my family safe. When we have problems I ask for guidance. I know this isn't much of an explanation but that's my two cents.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:13 AM
caskiguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 313 Times in 290 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader View Post
It depends on what you might be praying about. I've only prayed twice in my entire life. Both times I got what I needed. Is it because of Devine intervention ? Or was it because somtimes you cant see a solution untill your humble enough to admit you need help.
Now that is an interesting take.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:36 AM
SPIVET
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
Is your wife arrogant and selfish too because she prays?
Old 04-15-2019, 10:51 AM
Shaka
CF Senior Member

Liked 471 Times in 293 Posts

Originally Posted by brassplyer View Post
I'd like to keep this a non-confrontational thread, just looking for insight. What do you feel is the purpose, what do you feel prayer is, what it does/doesn't do.

I'm deliberately not specifying a particular religion.
Nice thread thanks. Seek and though shall find. Seek guidance with an attitude of gratitude.
Einstein said that he tries to find out how God thinks. I find God in math and physics. We only discover what is already there.
As a man thinketh, so be he.
Everything you have in your life is a result of how you think. If you don't like whats happening in your life, change the way you think.
America will loose it's greatness when we turn away from God. The Pilgrims brought pre Roman Christianity to America. Catholics and Babtists know nothing of that which is Puritan.
The Roman army created Christianity as we know it. It is a hybrid religion made up of Greek mythology, Paganism and Judaism. Born again, virgin birth, rising from the dead is Greek and Christmas, easter, ash Sunday is Pagan and all the good non dogmatic stuff is out of the Talmud. The Talmud is the source from which the code of Jewish Halakhah (law) is derived which is basically western law.
It is made up of the Mishnah and the Gemara. The Mishnah is the original written version of the oral law and the Gemara is the record of the rabbinic discussions following this writing down which continues to this day.
Moses was the beginning of western civilization together with Aristotle a 1000 years later. Alexander the great was of virgin birth so was Cleopatra. The Japanese emperor found out that he was not God when McArthur straightened him out on board the USS Missouri.
The eternal enemies of the Anglo Saxon is the Catholic church, the atheist Zionist Jews and Islam. They are America's primary domestic enemy. Read what Jefferson said about that bunch, also Churchill.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:21 AM
bubba68ss
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by juanvaldez View Post
Pray into one hand and **** in the other . . .
and then throw it at those who believe, right?
Old 04-15-2019, 11:26 AM
tempest62
CF Senior Member

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

to think one is going to be saved and go to heaven vs. all others who don't accept jesus christ as their saviour is the ultimate in selfishness and arrogance.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:40 AM
tempest62
CF Senior Member

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

why are you angry? my wife and i aren't.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:49 AM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Liked 196 Times in 123 Posts

Full disclosure. In my younger days, I prayed selfishly. In my older years I either don't pray at all, or pray for others.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:53 AM
juanvaldez
CF Senior Member

Liked 353 Times in 267 Posts

Originally Posted by bubba68ss View Post
and then throw it at those who believe, right?
I don't care what you believe. I might think it is a little stupid. You rank right up there with the Muslims, Jews and Hindus with me.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:06 PM
worldtraveler
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteveL2 View Post
An expression of favor, gratitude, and humility to what I believe is my creator.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:14 PM
z edge
CF Senior Member

Liked 242 Times in 178 Posts

Glad you are still among us
Old 04-15-2019, 12:15 PM
lite blue
CF Senior Member

Location: I'm going to need a bucket of ice and a roll of gaffer tape
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Why do I pray?
It makes me feel better.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:24 PM
ifitgoesfast
CF Senior Member

Liked 27 Times in 27 Posts

Itís actually arrogant to think you know everything, that others are wrong, and that if they think in a way different from you they must be crazy.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:25 PM
ifitgoesfast
CF Senior Member

Liked 27 Times in 27 Posts

Prayer isnít really available for judgement against it because it is equivalent to the individual path.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:03 PM
SPIVET
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

to think one is going to be saved and go to heaven vs. all others who don't accept jesus christ as their saviour is the ultimate in selfishness and arrogance.
why are you angry? my wife and i aren't.
Having a problem consolidating your replies into one post.

Angry? Not at all (having pity if anything) and how you would arrive at that only shows your ineptitude in understanding the English language. You missed the point which is not a surprise given your post history. You clearly insulted your wife in your post but I appreciate your providing more information about her not being annoyed that you think she is arrogant and selfish (unless you're lying? I have no way of knowing that).

That being the case then I can only conclude that she is either a doormat or psycho b!#&#, possibly more ignorant than you (a difficult feat on its own) and that you both deserve each other. It DOES speak volumes about you as a person though.

Carry on with your self reveal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do you pray? Purpose of prayer?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: