Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Why do you pray? Purpose of prayer?

Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM
Zrxmax
CF Senior Member

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Bee View Post
A miracle?!

How about a mathematical inevitability. There are billions of galaxies that each contain trillions of stars with planetary objects in their orbits. That means the number of potentially habitable planets is too large to calculate without a computer. The idea that a planet somewhere in the universe has conditions that support life is like saying there is a planet with rings around it.... and I hope we all agree that saturn is pretty cool but certainly not the only one. Given enough time and material in the universe and random conditions will produce habitable planets and planets with rings. Both are mathematical certainties.
Since everything is in motion give us the mathematical formula and order with which we can calculate the birth of the next habitual planet for you and I to discuss the weather... ok?
Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM
Dr Bee
CF Senior Member

Liked 54 Times in 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Zrxmax View Post
Since everything is in motion give us the mathematical formula and order with which we can calculate the birth of the next habitual planet for you and I to discuss the weather... ok?
Some estimates suggest 50 to 100 billion different planetary bodies could support life. Ask NASA.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...56130646670427

Last edited by Dr Bee; Yesterday at 02:34 PM.
Old Today, 12:17 PM
Zrxmax
CF Senior Member

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
I cannot conclude any of that, I can opine that I believe there are a lot of things we will never see or understand and it's better than my or your imagination can dream. there may be millions of hospitable planets, that's the fun part of such a vast universe.

all of it has an expiration date, be it when everything expands and burns out or collapses back upon itself. maybe this has happened before. BSG reference intended.
I like the thought you brought a key word to the conversation. So, I have a question for you based on the fact that you give no credence to things you can't see.

How much information is traveling through your personal space during any period of time you care to consider? The radio wavelengths moving at near the speed of light contain information you can't see, touch, or feel and yet you know they are there.

Add to that the fact that we all transmit and receive information through our own electrical based nervous system.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...d&action=click
Old Today, 12:18 PM
confab
CF Senior Member

Liked 310 Times in 275 Posts

Originally Posted by brassplyer View Post
I'd like to keep this a non-confrontational thread, just looking for insight. What do you feel is the purpose, what do you feel prayer is, what it does/doesn't do.

I'm deliberately not specifying a particular religion.
To show honor and to ask for forgiveness, insight, or even assistance with forces beyond my control.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do you pray? Purpose of prayer?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: