Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Do prayers work?

Old 04-17-2019, 07:31 AM
ifitgoesfast
CF Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Bee View Post
I've never prayed b/c I'm not religious.

I have hoped for things to happen (or not happen) b/c I'm a typical human being. Sometimes I got what I hoped for, sometimes not. I'm guessing it's no more or less effective than prayer.
Praying and being Religious are not the same. And, is the purpose of prayer in your mind about getting things? Whether prayer works is more about whether the communication works, i.e. whether your message was delivered, is it not? In that way, it works or doesn’t. And perhaps, you even omitted the address.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:33 AM
GARYFINN
CF Senior Member

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 234 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by spivet View Post
sent /\
Originally Posted by zrxmax View Post
prayer sent...
Originally Posted by tixeon View Post
+ 1
awesome. !!!
Old 04-17-2019, 12:48 PM
Hoonose
CF Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1 View Post
Based on another thread, I am curious who has prayed for something they had no control over and it came to fruition?

Individual VS Group different?

What is the success rate?
There have been medical studies done in the past demonstrating no physical benefit to the patients. But there are certainly mental benefits for the patients, families, friends and care givers. I am not religious. In my medical practice I cared for many mainly Christians, and it was not unusual for me to join in prayer for the patient/loved one. In my own silent way I do not pray. I wish the best for the patient, while respecting and supporting the involved families and friends.

My wife has gone through surgical and medical hell over the last 2 years. Though not religious we both enjoy and find comfort in receiving wishes, thoughts and prayers directed towards her recovery.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:50 PM
Hoonose
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zrxmax View Post
Prayer sent...
I also have wishes, hopes and good thoughts in support of Denise's best outcome!
Old 04-18-2019, 07:33 AM
GARYFINN
CF Senior Member

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 234 Likes on 136 Posts

Awesome !! thanks everyone
Old 04-18-2019, 04:33 PM
jw38
CF Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Originally Posted by larrysb View Post
Yes, prayer works.

But it doesn't work like Burger King. You don't get it your way.
Absolutely true. God always answers prayers, but His answer might not be the answer you're looking for.

Originally Posted by GARYFINN View Post
I hope prayers work my beautiful sister is at UCSF awaiting a lung transplant
If there are any extra prayers out there send them Denise's way.

Prayers for your sister!
Old 04-18-2019, 09:08 PM
doorgunner
Doorgunner's '68 Project
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 818 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
There have been medical studies done in the past demonstrating no physical benefit to the patients. But there are certainly mental benefits for the patients, families, friends and care givers. I am not religious. In my medical practice I cared for many mainly Christians, and it was not unusual for me to join in prayer for the patient/loved one. In my own silent way I do not pray. I wish the best for the patient, while respecting and supporting the involved families and friends.

My wife has gone through surgical and medical hell over the last 2 years. Though not religious we both enjoy and find comfort in receiving wishes, thoughts and prayers directed towards her recovery.
My daughter at the age of 12 was scheduled for emergency surgery to remove a RAPIDLY-growing tumor from her neck . My wife and I prayed to Jesus to heal her. We both fell asleep in chairs by her hospital bed.. Later on, the surgeon woke us up demanding to know what the HELL (his words/not mine) we had done while he was scheduling the surgery. It seems the tumor completely disappeared.

Twenty years later my wife was scheduled for emergency surgery to have a rapidly-growing cancerous tumor removed from her abdomen. AFTER the surgery the Oncologist came to her room and apologized profusely since the biopsy showed the removed seven pound tumor was now cancer-free. We told the Doctor not to worry about it because God works in mysterious ways.

Ten years later my son was murdered by an Illegal Alien. Being the religious fundamental fanatic I have become since Viet Nam, I asked Jesus to raise my son from the dead. He has not done so. Taking into consideration His previous track record concerning my friends and loved ones......I'm willing to wait...…..
..............................….until He gives me a thumb's up.

By the way...there was a time that I hated God with more hatred than all of you combined.

Cliff's Notes: Prayers always work.....one way or the other. Prayers for your darling Wife. Prayers for others, also.

Last edited by doorgunner; 04-18-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:15 PM
Zrxmax
CF Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

xyz

Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
My daughter at the age of 12 was scheduled for emergency surgery to remove a RAPIDLY-growing tumor from her neck . My wife and I prayed to Jesus to heal her. We both fell asleep in chairs by her hospital bed.. Later on, the surgeon woke us up demanding to know what the HELL (his words/not mine) we had done while he was scheduling the surgery. It seems the tumor completely disappeared.

Twenty years later my wife was scheduled for emergency surgery to have a rapidly-growing cancerous tumor removed from her abdomen. ATER the surgery the Oncologist came to her room and apologized profusely since the biopsy showed the removed seven pound tumor was now cancer-free. We told the Doctor not to worry about it because God works in mysterious ways.

Ten years later my son was murdered by an Illegal Alien. Being the religious fundamental fanatic I have become since Viet Nam, I asked Jesus to raise my son from the dead. He has not done so. Taking into consideration His previous track record concerning my friends and loved ones......I'm willing to wait...…..
..............................….until He gives me a thumb's up.,

Keep the faith...

Should I post up the video of a tumor disappearing in about 3 minutes in front of witnesses while using and observing a sonogram image machine?

Cliff's Notes: Prayers always work.....one way or the other

Last edited by Zrxmax; 04-18-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:22 PM
doorgunner
Doorgunner's '68 Project
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 818 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Zrxmax View Post
xyz

Keep the faith...

Should I post up the video of a tumor disappearing in about 3 minutes in front of witnesses while using and observing a sonogram image machine?

Cliff's Notes: Prayers always work.....one way or the other
I'd go for it.....someone somewhere might be ready to believe.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:40 PM
Amicon
CF Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Faith works....... There are no prayers without faith first.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:49 PM
jw38
CF Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Twenty years later my wife was scheduled for emergency surgery to have a rapidly-growing cancerous tumor removed from her abdomen. AFTER the surgery the Oncologist came to her room and apologized profusely since the biopsy showed the removed seven pound tumor was now cancer-free. We told the Doctor not to worry about it because God works in mysterious ways.

By the way...there was a time that I hated God with more hatred than all of you combined.

Cliff's Notes: Prayers always work.....one way or the other. Prayers for your darling Wife. Prayers for others, also.
While Jesus may not raise your son from the dead, He WILL raise you and your wife so that you will be with him in eternity.

To live is Christ and to die is gain. May God continue to bless you and your family.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:11 PM
Hoonose
CF Senior Member

Thank you so much!
Old 04-18-2019, 10:58 PM
Zrxmax
CF Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd go for it.....someone somewhere might be ready to believe.
This will be very unconventional in the minds of most people due to the conditioning they have been subjected to.

What is really happening here is the woman is doing the heavy lifting and healing herself. Her belief in the Doctors

power to heal is absolute. The location is somewhere in China. The tumor was considered inoperable in the USA.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:18 PM
65Z01
CF Senior Member

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Well we certainly cannot have Chase giving the incompetent sheeple tips on being self-reliant, not when the nanny state will care for them.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:58 PM
caskiguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by GARYFINN View Post
I hope prayers work my beautiful sister is at UCSF awaiting a lung transplant
If there are any extra prayers out there send them Denise's way.

Prayer sent.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:06 AM
Sifu-TZ
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zombie thread, thought all of this was deleted.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:36 PM
ifitgoesfast
CF Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

you said you became a Christian again 6 months ago when you posted this:

Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
I did recently decide to be a christian again due to a certain influence

Last edited by ifitgoesfast; 05-04-2019 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:51 AM
brassplyer
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D. View Post
Well that hot little 20 yo never came knockin on my door so I'm going to say no.
She did but you were on a beer run to the store when she knocked, thus you were spared writing a check out every month to the chunky, crabby 40 yo she metamorphasized into. So maybe your prayers were answered after all.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:55 AM
birdsmith
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Bee View Post
I've never prayed b/c I'm not religious.

I have hoped for things to happen (or not happen) b/c I'm a typical human being. Sometimes I got what I hoped for, sometimes not. I'm guessing it's no more or less effective than prayer.
Are you so afraid of becoming 'religious' that it stops you from praying?

And while I understand that some religious folk make a big show of prayer, why would that in itself stop you from asking something of God?
Old 05-03-2019, 02:57 AM
brassplyer
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BradSW View Post
Hmmmm……..I think I'm seeing a trend here......

Do you pray.....no.....Does prayer work....no
Do you pray....yes....Does prayer work....yes
Soooo....this purportedly omniscient, omnipotent being really needs to be begged/reminded that you'd really prefer you a/or your loved ones not be murdered, come down with some heinous disease or die terrified in a horrific fiery airliner/auto crash.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do prayers work?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: