Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page >

Facebook Co-Founder: ‘It’s Time to Break Up Facebook’

Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Facebook Co-Founder: ‘It’s Time to Break Up Facebook’

 
Old 05-10-2019, 12:17 PM
  #21  
tistan
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Posts: 886
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06 View Post
No, no one has to use Facebook. Phones are a utility and necessary perse but FB is not a necessity.
Phones aren't necessary either, you could send mail. If you want to send videos to multiple friends and family, then you need something like Facebook.

Last edited by tistan; 05-10-2019 at 12:18 PM.
tistan is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:23 PM
  #22  
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member
 
Millenium Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2004
Location: Frisco TX Pants Shitingly Fast
Posts: 6,934
Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tistan View Post
Phones aren't necessary either, you could send mail. If you want to send videos to multiple friends and family, then you need something like Facebook.
No you don't, plenty of other options and if that's what you're doing, the politics of FB wouldn't impact you at all.
Phones are more of a necessity than FB.
Now, if everytime you turned on your phone it gave you some political message opposite of your perspective, then you'd have a point
Millenium Z06 is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:28 PM
  #23  
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member
 
Millenium Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2004
Location: Frisco TX Pants Shitingly Fast
Posts: 6,934
Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
Arguable that FB is a necessary means of marketing /promotion

Again though, that can be accessed without the politics.
Like it or not, it's a private network, you adhere to THEIR ToS when you join and they have the right to block whatever they see fit.

RedSS is 100% correct in that this is no difference than the bake a cake issue other that the shoe is on the other foot now and those that argued in favor of the baker AND those that argued in favor of the customer are now 180° from where they were and look like hypocritical fools.

As to breaking up FB, break up what? To what end and accomplish what?
Both FB and Google are two services you do not have to use.
No different than Fox News having a Con bias and CNN having a Dem bias.
Millenium Z06 is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 05:21 PM
  #24  
K.I.T.T.
CF Senior Member
 
K.I.T.T.'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: Lookin over Hoover Dam
Posts: 2,093
Received 734 Likes on 403 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Red99SS View Post
I still don't know where to stand at this point, but I cannot get on board with government stepping in and enacting regulations just because they'll help MY team. Isn't this akin to telling Facebook to "bake the cake?" You can't force a private network to host content that they don't want to.
You're right but...the issue comes down to liability. If Facebook wants to enjoy the protection of not being held liable for what's on its site, or the words of the people on it, then it also can't take an interest in editing and filtering it. You can't have your "cake and eat it too", since we're talkin cakes. You're either in, or you're out. Either step back and say, it's freedom of speech and we don't have control, or it's controlled speech and if something bad comes from us, then sue us for it.
K.I.T.T. is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 05:38 PM
  #25  
Warpdrv
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Location: Milwaukee - ish WISCONSIN
Posts: 703
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Well one thing is if you use facebook, you must agree to their terms...... your on their turf.... But they certainly are biased against conservatives and free speech.....

Another thing is google.... when you go to their web page.... there are no disclaimers, you get a search bar on their opening page...
If you hit the "About" button on the top left of that search page.... you get this....

Our mission is to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.

I'm not sure what universally means in their mind in that statement honestly.

But they certainly don't seem to feel any responsibility to make all information just vanilla, and its not all related to hits on pages either. There is clearly organized bias in the search results - which can be misleading for a great many people, they are steering a mindset, and they have gotten really good at it.
Its agenda based, and their algorithms have gotten quite good at putting that bias right in front...

Used to be you could search for something and it didn't always have a leftist bias to it, now not so much, you might have to go 6, 8, 10 pages deep in order to get a news story that doesn't have some sort of slanted info on.... Google is the leading search engine in the world, hands down, but it comes at a cost IMO.

Hell, its pretty creepy when you can't turn of the mic on your phone in any form or fashion, to keep google from listening in on you all the time. Or other apps for that matter, why can't I control the mic on my phone, you can control every other thing down to a tee, but not the mic.... and I mean just a simple global mic button on/off hmmmm
Yes you can turn off individual apps - pain in the ***, but not just a global button.
If you get a Nest thermostat in your house, they didn't disclose to anyone that there is a mic on that thing as well, and its hooked up to the internet...
I'm not a huge fan of listening devices in my presence but they are getting to be pretty much all around you, and google or any of these companies is hand in hand with the NSA, whether you know, like it or don't, its happening. They have one of the biggest pipelines of Fiber going right to the NSA.


I can't answer the break them up or not myself.... I'm just an bump on a log in this F'd up universe at this point...

Last edited by Warpdrv; 05-10-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Warpdrv is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 05:58 PM
  #26  
Vitoc
CF Senior Member
 
Vitoc's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 40,081
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by Red99SS View Post
I still don't know where to stand at this point, but I cannot get on board with government stepping in and enacting regulations just because they'll help MY team. Isn't this akin to telling Facebook to "bake the cake?" You can't force a private network to host content that they don't want to.
I think the more balanced approach is to ask them to enforce their terms of service evenly. Crowder and his team nailed it, IMO. Starts at around 11:50.

In a lot of these cases, people aren't even violating the terms and they're suspended or banned. Meanwhile hateful bigots on the left routinely violate the terms, and nothing is done. These terms are written up by lawyers and not abiding by those terms does have consequences, for both the company and their users.

Last edited by Vitoc; 05-10-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Vitoc is online now  
Old 05-10-2019, 06:14 PM
  #27  
wbvette
CF Senior Member
 
wbvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: West Bloomfield Michigan
Posts: 4,481
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I agree with vitoc on that

did they ban anyone that invited violence against the Christian school kids? Stuff like that if the shoe was on a conservative foot they would have been banned

it’s not evenly enforced. Just say if you are a conservative you are not welcome on the platform instead of the fake *** term of service that doesn’t apply to liberals
wbvette is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 06:23 PM
  #28  
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member
 
Millenium Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2004
Location: Frisco TX Pants Shitingly Fast
Posts: 6,934
Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T. View Post
You're right but...the issue comes down to liability. If Facebook wants to enjoy the protection of not being held liable for what's on its site, or the words of the people on it, then it also can't take an interest in editing and filtering it. You can't have your "cake and eat it too", since we're talkin cakes. You're either in, or you're out. Either step back and say, it's freedom of speech and we don't have control, or it's controlled speech and if something bad comes from us, then sue us for it.
Thats incorrect. They cant be held liable for what someone posts unless they insert some kind of a post delay approval system and with 100MM+ users, thats not realistic.
Its not freedom of speech, FoS is Fed Govt blocking your speech, not FB

Last edited by Millenium Z06; 05-10-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Millenium Z06 is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 06:28 PM
  #29  
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member
 
Millenium Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2004
Location: Frisco TX Pants Shitingly Fast
Posts: 6,934
Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post
Well one thing is if you use facebook, you must agree to their terms...... your on their turf.... But they certainly are biased against conservatives and free speech.....

Another thing is google.... when you go to their web page.... there are no disclaimers, you get a search bar on their opening page...
If you hit the "About" button on the top left of that search page.... you get this....

Our mission is to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.

I'm not sure what universally means in their mind in that statement honestly.

But they certainly don't seem to feel any responsibility to make all information just vanilla, and its not all related to hits on pages either. There is clearly organized bias in the search results - which can be misleading for a great many people, they are steering a mindset, and they have gotten really good at it.
Its agenda based, and their algorithms have gotten quite good at putting that bias right in front...

Used to be you could search for something and it didn't always have a leftist bias to it, now not so much, you might have to go 6, 8, 10 pages deep in order to get a news story that doesn't have some sort of slanted info on.... Google is the leading search engine in the world, hands down, but it comes at a cost IMO.

Hell, its pretty creepy when you can't turn of the mic on your phone in any form or fashion, to keep google from listening in on you all the time. Or other apps for that matter, why can't I control the mic on my phone, you can control every other thing down to a tee, but not the mic.... and I mean just a simple global mic button on/off hmmmm
Yes you can turn off individual apps - pain in the ***, but not just a global button.
If you get a Nest thermostat in your house, they didn't disclose to anyone that there is a mic on that thing as well, and its hooked up to the internet...
I'm not a huge fan of listening devices in my presence but they are getting to be pretty much all around you, and google or any of these companies is hand in hand with the NSA, whether you know, like it or don't, its happening. They have one of the biggest pipelines of Fiber going right to the NSA.


I can't answer the break them up or not myself.... I'm just an bump on a log in this F'd up universe at this point...
Google search results are based upon your search history. You and I could search the same topic and the results will vary based upon your past history.
Being that I have my browser set to clear the cache completely when closing, my searches come up almost 100% opposite of what many complain about which makes me question what most search for to begin with.
Example:




Last edited by Millenium Z06; 05-10-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Millenium Z06 is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 06:30 PM
  #30  
KenHorse
AOC = All Out Communist
Support Corvetteforum!
 
KenHorse's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
Posts: 104,394
Received 1,003 Likes on 666 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18
Default

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06 View Post
As to breaking up FB, break up what? To what end and accomplish what?
Both FB and Google are two services you do not have to use.
No different than Fox News having a Con bias and CNN having a Dem bias.
We're you for or against breaking up ATT?

What about Standard Oil?

What about any other company considered a monopoly and in violation of anti-trust law?
KenHorse is online now  
Old 05-10-2019, 08:56 PM
  #31  
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member
 
Millenium Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2004
Location: Frisco TX Pants Shitingly Fast
Posts: 6,934
Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
We're you for or against breaking up ATT?

What about Standard Oil?

What about any other company considered a monopoly and in violation of anti-trust law?
I was 10 or 11 for ATT so i was for or against it, standard oil, probably even younger.
But again, whats to break up? They are not a utility that you need to function, not even an OS like Windows. It's completely upon the individual if they decide to use or not use it. I don't use FB and have no use for it so what they do or don't do has zero impact on me.
I understand what you're point is but FB is a bad example because no has to use FB for anything and there's nothing stopping anyone from creating the same type of platform to their liking.

People keep acting like FB and Google are required resources to access the internet; I've been in OT for 20+ years and some how managed to NEVER need a FB account nor do I experience the alleged Google Bias that some keep referring to.
The Internet is what you make of it. This is nothing more than the the Digital Cake Maker debate all over again.

So I ask again, whats to break up? Instagram, Snapchat? Whats that accomplish?


ETA, RE: Antitrust Laws, Standard Oil, ATT, Bells, people didnt have options if they needed those services, they grew because they cornered the market and GAVE users no options.
FB and Google have also cornered the market BUT thru POPULARITY, not by forced people to use their products, big difference IMO

Last edited by Millenium Z06; 05-10-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Millenium Z06 is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 09:10 PM
  #32  
Vitoc
CF Senior Member
 
Vitoc's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 40,081
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06 View Post
Google search results are based upon your search history. You and I could search the same topic and the results will vary based upon your past history.
Being that I have my browser set to clear the cache completely when closing, my searches come up almost 100% opposite of what many complain about which makes me question what most search for to begin with.
Example:


The "top stories" feed is going to change constantly, as will the Twitter results shown a little lower. The advertisements will change based on what they know about your habits. However the "normal" results and links should and are pretty consistent, if not dead on. The autosuggest words (what it thinks you want to type while you're typing in your search terms) will change based on your past searches, but that won't impact the normal search results once the search terms are submitted. How do we know? Didn't you hear about that "white inventors" or "white American inventors" thing a while back? Everybody could search for the same thing and it would always list nothing but black inventors, for several links deep.
Vitoc is online now  
Old 05-10-2019, 09:14 PM
  #33  
Vitoc
CF Senior Member
 
Vitoc's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 40,081
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06 View Post
I was 10 or 11 for ATT so i was for or against it, standard oil, probably even younger.
But again, whats to break up? They are not a utility that you need to function, not even an OS like Windows. It's completely upon the individual if they decide to use or not use it. I don't use FB and have no use for it so what they do or don't do has zero impact on me.
I understand what you're point is but FB is a bad example because no has to use FB for anything and there's nothing stopping anyone from creating the same type of platform to their liking.

People keep acting like FB and Google are required resources to access the internet; I've been in OT for 20+ years and some how managed to NEVER need a FB account nor do I experience the alleged Google Bias that some keep referring to.
The Internet is what you make of it. This is nothing more than the the Digital Cake Maker debate all over again.

So I ask again, whats to break up? Instagram, Snapchat? Whats that accomplish?


ETA, RE: Antitrust Laws, Standard Oil, ATT, Bells, people didnt have options if they needed those services, they grew because they cornered the market and GAVE users no options.
FB and Google have also cornered the market BUT thru POPULARITY, not by forced people to use their products, big difference IMO
I think there might be a wee bit of difference between a local baker that impacted like 2 people, and a worldwide communication service that has nearly a third of the planet's population using it. Slightly different scope, yes?

Last edited by Vitoc; 05-10-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Vitoc is online now  
Old 05-10-2019, 09:35 PM
  #34  
Sleezy E
CF Senior Member
 
Sleezy E's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2011
Location: Chandler Az
Posts: 861
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Vitoc View Post
I think there might be a wee bit of difference between a local baker that impacted like 2 people, and a worldwide communication service that has nearly a third of the planet's population using it. Slightly different scope, yes?
If 100 gay couples requested a cake from that baker would you feel differently?

How about a 1000? 1,000,000?

Lol
Sleezy E is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 09:42 PM
  #35  
Vitoc
CF Senior Member
 
Vitoc's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 40,081
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by Sleezy E View Post
If 100 gay couples requested a cake from that baker would you feel differently?

How about a 1000? 1,000,000?

Lol
Keep going, you're not there yet. The point.
Vitoc is online now  
Old 05-10-2019, 09:49 PM
  #36  
Sleezy E
CF Senior Member
 
Sleezy E's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2011
Location: Chandler Az
Posts: 861
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Vitoc View Post
Keep going, you're not there yet. The point.
If "A third of the planet's population" demanded that baker make them a gay wedding cake then we're in the same territory right?

The number of people effected here has ZERO meaning.

You either patronize the business or you don't. That's capitalism
Sleezy E is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 09:55 PM
  #37  
Vitoc
CF Senior Member
 
Vitoc's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 40,081
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by Sleezy E View Post
If "A third of the planet's population" demanded that baker make them a gay wedding cake then we're in the same territory right?

The number of people effected here has ZERO meaning.

You either patronize the business or you don't. That's capitalism
You're right. Monopolies are awesome. You've convinced me. No regulations, ever. What could possibly go wrong?
Vitoc is online now  
Old 05-10-2019, 09:57 PM
  #38  
Sleezy E
CF Senior Member
 
Sleezy E's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2011
Location: Chandler Az
Posts: 861
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Vitoc View Post
You're right. Monopolies are awesome. You've convinced me. No regulations, ever. What could possibly go wrong?
Monopoly, lol

You sound like a pussyhat wearing, snowflakes, safe space, snowflake liberal conservative

Last edited by Sleezy E; 05-10-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Sleezy E is offline  
Old 05-10-2019, 11:26 PM
  #39  
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member
 
Millenium Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2004
Location: Frisco TX Pants Shitingly Fast
Posts: 6,934
Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Vitoc View Post
I think there might be a wee bit of difference between a local baker that impacted like 2 people, and a worldwide communication service that has nearly a third of the planet's population using it. Slightly different scope, yes?

No.
How is a person negatively impacted by something they choose to use when you simply use something else?
It's the exact same thing as the Baker, the scale may be different but the impact is no difference.
Millenium Z06 is offline  
Old 05-11-2019, 02:43 AM
  #40  
Vitoc
CF Senior Member
 
Vitoc's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 40,081
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06 View Post
No.
How is a person negatively impacted by something they choose to use when you simply use something else?
It's the exact same thing as the Baker, the scale may be different but the impact is no difference.
People could have chosen not to buy and/or consume meat.
People could have chosen not to use their phones.
People could have chosen not to use oil or railroads.

Should we not also undo all of those antitrust decisions? People had other options. If you stand by undoing all those and rewarding all of those victims of antitrust legislation, then I will buy your bullshit. But not until then. I'll wait, but trust me, won't be holding my breath.
Vitoc is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Facebook Co-Founder: ‘It’s Time to Break Up Facebook’


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: