Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page >

Facebook Co-Founder: ‘It’s Time to Break Up Facebook’

Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Old 05-09-2019, 08:29 PM
1%r
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 through '17

Default Facebook Co-Founder: ‘It’s Time to Break Up Facebook’

TECH

A Facebook cofounder penned an opinion piece that claiming that it’s past time for the federal government to regulate Facebook.

Chris Hughes used most of his New York Times opinion piece to bash Facebook for “empower[ing] nationalist leaders,” not cracking down hard enough on fake news, and for its “slow response to Russian agents.”

Most of the piece was the typical leftist jargon that encapsulates the big tech debate. The political left wants the government to regulate Facebook so the company has more power to control the world’s largest public forum. The political right wants the government to step in and stop the obvious censorship of conservative opinions. In any case, Hughes provided a glimpse into the power wielded by Zuckerberg.

He said:
Trending: Jim Acosta’s Press Pass to Be Suspended Again

Mark’s influence is staggering, far beyond that of anyone else in the private sector or in government. He controls three core communications platforms — Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp — that billions of people use every day. Facebook’s board works more like an advisory committee than an overseer, because Mark controls around 60 percent of voting shares. Mark alone can decide how to configure Facebook’s algorithms to determine what people see in their News Feeds, what privacy settings they can use and even which messages get delivered. He sets the rules for how to distinguish violent and incendiary speech from the merely offensive, and he can choose to shut down a competitor by acquiring, blocking or copying it.
Zuckerberg’s old friend, despite describing him as “a good, kind person,” does not think Zuckerberg is responsible enough to handle the power that he has obtained.

“The government must hold Mark accountable,” Hughes said. “For too long, lawmakers have marveled at Facebook’s explosive growth and overlooked their responsibility to ensure that Americans are protected and markets are competitive.”

Before launching into a thousand-word history of the competitive environment in which Facebook competed during its early days, and describing Zuckerberg’s goal of “domination,” Hughes put offered a simple directive.

“Mark’s power is unprecedented and un-American,” he said. “It is time to break up Facebook.”

Old 05-09-2019, 08:31 PM
Red99SS
CF Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I still don't know where to stand at this point, but I cannot get on board with government stepping in and enacting regulations just because they'll help MY team. Isn't this akin to telling Facebook to "bake the cake?" You can't force a private network to host content that they don't want to.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:34 PM
1%r
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Red99SS View Post
I still don't know where to stand at this point, but I cannot get on board with government stepping in and enacting regulations just because they'll help MY team. Isn't this akin to telling Facebook to "bake the cake?" You can't force a private network to host content that they don't want to.
they've become content editors
Old 05-09-2019, 08:44 PM
Red99SS
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1%r View Post
But that content is THEIRS, which you agree to when you subscribe to Facebook.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:47 PM
1%r
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

But that content is THEIRS, which you agree to when you subscribe to Facebook.
true but the bias is quite evident on most of the social media platforms
Old 05-09-2019, 08:48 PM
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member

Received 772 Likes on 597 Posts

Google is much more threating at this point.
Tear them both apart.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:53 PM
owebo
CF Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16

And publishers....

America simply cannot survive if the public square is privatized....
Old 05-09-2019, 08:53 PM
tistan
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is more like the phone company, which provides another means for communication, cutting off phone calls because they don't like the message. I've said this many times, I don't believe that internet is providing a free market for other forms of social media. There is a huge demand from people ,who hate facebook because of their information being used, and people who hate facebook because of the censorship. In a free market, there would be multiple competitors to facebook.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:56 PM
Red99SS
CF Senior Member

true but the bias is quite evident on most of the social media platforms
Nobody is disputing that. They are horribly biased against conservative viewpoints, but... aren't they allowed to be if they want? It's a "bake the cake" moment. "Oh, you don't want conservative views on your platform? Tough ****, do it anyway or we'll put you in jail." Just, no.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:00 PM
wbvette
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don’t get it what is there to break up? Seems to be more of a law/regulation issue
Old 05-09-2019, 09:01 PM
owebo
CF Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Originally Posted by wbvette View Post
I don’t get it what is there to break up? Seems to be more of a law/regulation issue
Spin off Instagram and Snapchat...
Old 05-09-2019, 09:04 PM
1%r
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

i have a FB account that was opened for the business, haven't used it in years. i opened another account on another site and made 1 post, never went back. moderated an import site for a number of years that went belly up. FB and CF are my only two public venues i belong to. from what i've read most of the social media sites go after the right, not the left and other fringe groups. the numbers are staggering of how many people get their news from social media only. they can sway public opinion on many things based on their opinion. doesn't paint a pretty picture
Old 05-09-2019, 09:07 PM
1%r
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Nobody is disputing that. They are horribly biased against conservative viewpoints, but... aren't they allowed to be if they want? It's a "bake the cake" moment. "Oh, you don't want conservative views on your platform? Tough ****, do it anyway or we'll put you in jail." Just, no.
i have a FB account that was opened for the business, haven't used it in years. i opened another account on another site and made 1 post, never went back. moderated an import site for a number of years that went belly up. FB and CF are my only two public venues i belong to. from what i've read most of the social media sites go after the right, not the left and other fringe groups. the numbers are staggering of how many people get their news from social media only. they can sway public opinion on many things based on their opinion. doesn't paint a pretty picture
didn't see your post.

all i'm saying a pretty picture isn't being painted
Old 05-10-2019, 12:47 AM
bubba68ss
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats fine if that’s what they want to do. So what’s wrong with admitting that’s what they do?
Old 05-10-2019, 10:19 AM
Walford
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, because the only thing better than Mark Zuckerberg telling me what I can and can't say is the government telling Mark Zuckerberg to tell me what I can and can't say.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:57 AM
gixxerbill
CF Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

break that liberal pos up. I am tired of gettting hate speech warning from those bozos. And for some reason its only hate if its against sand people.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:56 AM
redred65cpe
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just about every politician, if not all today, has a presence on FB or Twitter because of their enormous reach. Some advocate that this is the new digital public square and should be regulated the same as the "regular" public square.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:02 PM
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member

Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts

Exactly
Old 05-10-2019, 12:06 PM
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member

Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by tistan View Post
This is more like the phone company, which provides another means for communication, cutting off phone calls because they don't like the message. I've said this many times, I don't believe that internet is providing a free market for other forms of social media. There is a huge demand from people ,who hate facebook because of their information being used, and people who hate facebook because of the censorship. In a free market, there would be multiple competitors to facebook.

No, no one has to use Facebook. Phones are a utility and necessary perse but FB is not a necessity.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:17 PM
KenHorse
AOC = All Out Communist
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
Received 1,003 Likes on 666 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06 View Post
No, no one has to use Facebook. Phones are a utility and necessary perse but FB is not a necessity.
Arguable that FB is a necessary means of marketing /promotion

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Facebook Co-Founder: ‘It’s Time to Break Up Facebook’

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: