Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

H1B Denials 'Skyrocketing'

Old 05-15-2019, 02:09 PM
Z Factor
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Viking0728 View Post
Is there really a shortage of medical schools? Or are you talking about lowering admission standards, adding schools, and then increasing the throughput?
I know your post was to someone else, but rest assured there are a shortage of medical schools in America. Many will have a few hundred seats and get thousands of applicants. While not all applicants will be qualified or even the best/brightest, there are many turned away that otherwise would graduate and go on to be MD's.
Now affirmative action and other set-asides do occur, thus making it even harder to get into medical school if you are a white male. Rest assured the changing face of MD's in the future will not look like MD's today, and instead will have tons of women and minorities both from this country and abroad.
American medical schools use to be 90%+ men, but today are less than 50%.

Originally Posted by pdiddy972 View Post
This is due to the AMA artificially reducing the number of medical school slots to restrict the number entering the profession and prevent wages from declining.
That might have made sense (assuming it is accurate) back when there was an abundance of MD's. However now with a big shortage that is getting even bigger with fewer MD's and demand of aging baby boomers needing a lot of care, it makes no sense to keep qualified students from being able to go to medical school.

Originally Posted by pdiddy972 View Post
They routinely pay them less by hiring for a higher tier but pegging the salary as a lower tier.

Ever heard of Disney? They got busted for directly replacing an existing IT department of US employees with India H-1Bs, that they replaced because the Indians are cheaper, and forced the US employees to train the H-1Bs as a condition of severance. SCE (Edison) did the same thing.

Pretending H-1B isn't about cheap labor is ridiculous. Why would someone purposely pay a fee to bring a temporary worker who's a poor cultural fit, barely speaks English, and has poor education, skills and experience, if not for cheap labor and their indentured nature?

Here's a legal seminar showing US companies how to AVOID finding a US applicant so they can get an H-1B. Why would this happen if not for cheaper wages??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU
I heard Disney and others did that, but when you say they were "busted", was there legal or civil ramifications for it?

As to the video, I suspect your rational might be accurate. I do not think it applies to MD's because of the aforementioned shortages where supply and demand meet capitalism.

Originally Posted by vette6799 View Post
There is a shortage of medical schools. If you read the post I responded to, there was a link to a group called AAMC and their projected shortages which are very credible.

I would assume that while all applicants are not necessarily good candidates, there are enough applicants that are not admitted to fill the void without significantly eroding quality. Furthermore, the more desirable residencies in the better programs are typically gotten by better med students from better medical schools based on achievement in the classroom and in standardized testing, so, to some extent, there is a check and balance system in place, underrepresented minority exceptions notwithstanding.
Something else that might surprise some people is that when undergrads take the MCAT (test for aptitude/qualification to get into medical schools), the students are not scored based on their individual performance, they are graded on scale with all the other students taking the test that particular testing period.
Thus if you are sharp but happen to be taking the test when a bunch of other sharp students are also taking it, your score/ranking will be lower. Conversely if you take it when just average students take it, your score/ranking will be higher.
I have no clue why they do that.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:30 AM
pdiddy972
CF Senior Member

Received 354 Likes on 235 Posts

And then we have H-1Bs who have absolute lies on their resumes like the guy this YouTuber is discussing:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: H1B Denials 'Skyrocketing'

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: