Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Pain Management?

Old 05-14-2019, 06:54 PM
pewt2k
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by X-ZZ4 View Post
Weed does that for me (it' more complicated than just weed.....but I like that word...it pisses some people here off ). That's what I meant in my OP when I said I'm on my own plan . I'm done with those other drugs too. Thank God I live in Oregon where the **** is legal (no matter what Owebo says). Serious.
Can you elaborate on using cannabis products for pain management?
Old 05-14-2019, 07:03 PM
X-ZZ4
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by pewt2k View Post
Can you elaborate on using cannabis products for pain management?
Sure. What do you want to know?
Old 05-14-2019, 07:06 PM
pewt2k
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What works better, products with high levels of thc or products with high levels of cbd? Also what is more effective, flower or concentrates?
Old 05-14-2019, 07:13 PM
Sifu-TZ
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eat it or wax it!

as far as the L1S5 disc, they have a newer procedure. When mine **** the bed they put titanium plates in front and rear since rolling isnít known for being kind to your back. But that was 6 months in a turtle cast, the newer version is injections into the disc that inflates like a little doughnut and can be done for your other disc issues. Almost no recovery time.

All I can say on the hip is good luck and wax up. Iím lucky not to have had those problems, and I tossed my norcos after a week from surgery. There are better options.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:28 PM
Upstate
CF Senior Member

Location: [Quote=WOEII] Is dried brown doodie powders man! [/Quote]

Originally Posted by moose.b3 View Post
Knee jerk reaction to the opioid overdose problem. I can't really blame the Doctors with all the deaths happening around the country. My last prescription for Norco came with a box of NARCAN even though I've only taken 2 half tabs of Norco in the last 6 months. Better safe than dead.
^This.

Didn't make it very far into the thread before having experienced something similar. All of the addicts that ruined it for people that legitimately need and can handle these meds can eat a bag of dicks.

I am an amputee (in a technical sense), have had a shoulder rebuilt, brain surgery and have messed up teeth requiring surgery. Never had a problem with opiates and have had pretty much every single one they make. I have some left over and am glad I do.

I had a root canal go horribly wrong and it was the worst pain I have ever experienced. Called the dentist and they said too bad, we are not giving you anything and go to the emergency room. Went to the ER and they said you are a drug seeker and we aren't treating you.

I used a rotating protocol of opiates, iburprofen and tylenol while waiting on the antibiotics to kick in and kill the infection that was causing the pain. Took about three days and could have killed myself it was that bad.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:34 PM
Dan47
CF Senior Member

Weed never helped me with pain but to each their own. Tramadol does but I only use two a day, four days a week, for work. Way better than acupuncture or aromatherapy!

I just started getting testosterone injections, to see if they might help with the joint pain and fatigue. Only two shots to date and it might be taking the edge off but too soon to tell.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:39 PM
Sifu-TZ
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dan47 View Post
Weed never helped me with pain but to each their own. Tramadol does but I only use two a day, four days a week, for work. Way better than acupuncture or aromatherapy!

I just started getting testosterone injections, to see if they might help with the joint pain and fatigue. Only two shots to date and it might be taking the edge off but too soon to tell.

If you do them yourself 2x a week, it prevents the roller coaster ride. In 3 months joint pain was almost gone, fatigue went away after 2 weeks. It varies for each person, obviously.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:44 PM
SilverC1
CF Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D. View Post
Agree 100%, if I have to go on long term pain management I would turn to weed first before jumping into a bottle of pills everyday.

Interesting discussion. Opioids for a specific time period, such as after a surgery, would seemingly be relatively easy to obtain, given that it's a one-time deal. Even then, it doesn't take too long for some level of withdrawal symptoms resulting....

But for long-term, chronic pain, I think I'd definitely look at the medicinal marijuana route. Maybe trying to look for processed forms that wouldn't get you as high (if they are nearly as effective).

A friend of mine uses marijuana regularly, but his asthma makes smoking it difficult. So he soaks the marijuana in grain alcohol (like Everclear, or over-proof rum) for a couple/few weeks, strains out the leaves, etc., and then puts his "tincture of marijuana" in small glass vials for subsequent use. No throat irritation. (But, his method does get you high, for better or worse, I suppose. Definitely no driving afterwards.)

Last edited by SilverC1; 05-14-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:50 PM
Dan47
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
If you do them yourself 2x a week, it prevents the roller coaster ride. In 3 months joint pain was almost gone, fatigue went away after 2 weeks. It varies for each person, obviously.
Iím pretty excited about the potential, feels like I fell off a cliff about 5 years ago~. Turning 55 this year and based on blood tests, everything is normal but I feel like ****.

T levels are 375 and the doc wants to increase them to around 800. Not sure who is more excited, the wife or me?
Old 05-14-2019, 07:53 PM
Hoonose
CF Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Just make that your docs keep an eye and finger on your prostate!
Old 05-14-2019, 08:00 PM
Sifu-TZ
CF Senior Member

Iím pretty excited about the potential, feels like I fell off a cliff about 5 years ago~. Turning 55 this year and based on blood tests, everything is normal but I feel like ****.

T levels are 375 and the doc wants to increase them to around 800. Not sure who is more excited, the wife or me?
It turns out itís all about how you feel. My original numbers were way lower than yours, and Iím several years younger. Iíve been as high as 1400 and based at around 800.

You will sleep better than ever, and your wife will love you for your enthusiasm. If you exercise youíll find yourself feeling much more satisfied and content. We all felt like **** before we started, thatís what drove us to seek help.

good luck, youíre in for a great change!
Old 05-14-2019, 08:04 PM
jpines

Anybody know of any official policies?

My apologies if I missed this somewhere else in the thread--- there are "guidelines" (strong recommendations) that the CDC published recently if anyone would like to read them....

https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/pdf...a-glance-a.pdf
Old 05-14-2019, 10:23 PM
TCracingCA
CF Senior Member

Received 305 Likes on 272 Posts

I got some steroids for fighting a mystery outbreak of red spots last year, as my ACL and Meniscus were torn! Those worked great for the knee, even though that werenít for that! No way to get addicted, but I do think they mess with your cells or something!
Old 05-14-2019, 10:38 PM
Upstate
CF Senior Member

Location: [Quote=WOEII] Is dried brown doodie powders man! [/Quote]

Originally Posted by SilverC1 View Post

Interesting discussion. Opioids for a specific time period, such as after a surgery, would seemingly be relatively easy to obtain, given that it's a one-time deal. Even then, it doesn't take too long for some level of withdrawal symptoms resulting....

But for long-term, chronic pain, I think I'd definitely look at the medicinal marijuana route. Maybe trying to look for processed forms that wouldn't get you as high (if they are nearly as effective).

A friend of mine uses marijuana regularly, but his asthma makes smoking it difficult. So he soaks the marijuana in grain alcohol (like Everclear, or over-proof rum) for a couple/few weeks, strains out the leaves, etc., and then puts his "tincture of marijuana" in small glass vials for subsequent use. No throat irritation. (But, his method does get you high, for better or worse, I suppose. Definitely no driving afterwards.)
Interesting observation. I've smoked my fair share and never had pain relief. Ingesting has significantly different effects with long term impairment but does not work for everyone and pain relief. I have tried the alcohol route and fat soluble routes (butter and oil separation) with little success for pain relief. Eating is a completely different experience. The benefits for patients needing an appetite stimulate for whatever reason are effective for me. Pain relief not so much but smoke em (or eat em) if you got em. It works for some.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:46 PM
Dan47
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Just make that your docs keep an eye and finger on your prostate!
Ha! I donít know which I fear more, prostate cancer or some dude messing with my prostate? Cancer seems reasonable in comparison but of course, I havenít experienced cancer yet. Probably, Iíll be crying like a little girl and begging for a do-over.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:59 PM
Dan47
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It turns out itís all about how you feel. My original numbers were way lower than yours, and Iím several years younger. Iíve been as high as 1400 and based at around 800.

You will sleep better than ever, and your wife will love you for your enthusiasm. If you exercise youíll find yourself feeling much more satisfied and content. We all felt like **** before we started, thatís what drove us to seek help.

good luck, youíre in for a great change!
Thanks. I exercise regularly and am hoping to see some abs on this stuff, beyond the pain relief and energy boost, of course. Be the guy with the 80 yo face and 20 yo body, maybe catch some advert work on the side.

Iíll report any positives or negatives as I progress if others are interested?
Old 05-14-2019, 11:46 PM
Stars_Fan
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife got me into using essential oils. She keeps me stocked up with Young Livings Deep Relief roller ball.

I was in a near fatal motorcycle accident 11 years ago. My knees are shot and they hurt all the time. I apply the deep relief oil several times a day and it really helps manage my pain.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:27 AM
Hoonose
CF Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Ha! I donít know which I fear more, prostate cancer or some dude messing with my prostate? Cancer seems reasonable in comparison but of course, I havenít experienced cancer yet. Probably, Iíll be crying like a little girl and begging for a do-over.
I would never take testosterone myself because of my enlarged prostate and family history of prostate cancer.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:33 AM
birdsmith
CF Senior Member

I'm confused. What are doctors doing for pain management these days? Is there a typical "plan" now that prescription opioids are so frowned upon?

It just seems like they've taken such a 180 degree turn in the last few years from throwing pain medication at you by the bundle for anything, and now they seem to prescribe literally nothing for anything.

I'm going on Total Hip Replacement #2 now. My right hip femur head has now collapsed, and I go in for surgery the first week of June. I've also got significant back issues contributing (MRI report on that reads like a hot mess).

Almost exactly 5 years ago I went thru the same thing with my left hip. I got a Total Hip Replacement on that one too.

Back then, they thru every pain medication at me like candy. Oxy in the last stages when it got really bad, but Tramadol by the bushel before that and everything else up the pain medication ladder as well.

Now they aren't even suggesting anything. It almost feels like a taboo subject to even bring up. I am on nothing at all right now....not even Tylenol (at this pain level why bother?)

I'm dealing with it, and it will be much better in a few weeks after surgery. And I don't want their drugs anyway. I've got a better plan myself anyway.

But......I'm just wondering why such a swing in the way they treat pain? Now it seems as though pain management is "see what they can tolerate" as opposed to how it used to be "see how much we can prescribe them". This is both with my VA doctors and my private doctors.

Anybody seeing the same thing I'm seeing? Anybody know of any official policies?

This is the **** that makes me lose confidence in the medical field. It's like eggs......one year they're great for you....one year they will kill you. It just depends what study you look at.

It almost feels like there is as much politics in medicine as.........politics.
In Japan, I have never seen a doctor prescribe opioids. You have to be on your death bed and writhing in agony to get opioids from any Japanese doctors...

But we have "capitalist medicine" in America where pharma companies bribe doctors to peddle their wares, and nothing creates its own demand like an addictive drug...

It's gonna hurt a LOT of people short term, but really, we need to wean our society off of this crap. It is killing a LOT of people and ruining a LOT of lives. We're better off without it...

Last edited by birdsmith; 05-15-2019 at 05:34 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:18 AM
Dan47
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I would never take testosterone myself because of my enlarged prostate and family history of prostate cancer.
I wouldnít either if I felt I had a choice. Really feeling like Iím at my wits end and getting progressively more depressed. Participated in DOD studies for gulf war illness among other things, because my symptoms line up with that but seems there are two medical camps on that issue. One says itís real and the other says itís all in our heads?

I donít have any experience in medicine, never been 55 yo, and see the monetary rewards that might be influencing these researchers, so I donít know what to believe? But pain, fatigue and short term memory problems are causing me a lot of problems so, what to do?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pain Management?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: