Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Pain Management?

Old 05-15-2019, 10:05 PM
Hoonose
CF Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by vette6799 View Post
LOL...2,6-diisopropylphenol...otherwise known as Propofol.
Unbelievable stuff! Milk of amnesia.

First time I had it was 2002 for my 9 hr heart surgery. The anesthesiologist had me put my 2 fingers together as if I'm about to snap my fingers when the white liquid reached my arm. Next thing I knew I was waking up!
Old 05-16-2019, 08:52 AM
htown81vette
CF Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Get the colonoscopy. You get knocked out for the procedure and the prep is not a ton of fun but really not all that bad compared to surgery, chemo and possible death.
I'll look into it
Old 05-16-2019, 09:03 AM
X-ZZ4
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by htown81vette View Post
I'll look into it
There is another "poop test" alternative. If you qualify for this (no risk factors) you can get this done annually instead of the 5 year colonoscopy.

I started out with those. You literally just send in a swab of poop sample. But they'll kick you out of that program if you ever have blood in the sample, then they want a real colonoscopy from there out. That happened to me. No issues though... just an irritated poop chute at the time.

And the colonoscopy isn't nearly as bad as you think. I was out for mine. No big deal. Just do it.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:25 AM
bgad
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Over a period of 15-20 years, I have had 3 colonoscopies. The first two I did without any sedation. They are definitely uncomfortable but were still bearable. It was like having the worst gas pains that you have ever had. The third time I had IV sedation with Propofol because I was having an EGD as well. I remember absolutely nothing and afterwards all you know is that you pass a lot of gas. It is NO problem.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:29 AM
Hoonose
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by bgad View Post
Over a period of 15-20 years, I have had 3 colonoscopies. The first two I did without any sedation. They are definitely uncomfortable but were still bearable. It was like having the worst gas pains that you have ever had. The third time I had IV sedation with Propofol because I was having an EGD as well. I remember absolutely nothing and afterwards all you know is that you pass a lot of gas. It is NO problem.
They are easy with sedation. It's the prep that's the hard part, and that has gotten easier over time.

I had both scopes one time, and when I woke up I asked the doc which one he did first. He asked why it mattered. And I said that I woke up with a bad taste in my mouth....
Old 05-16-2019, 09:59 AM
caskiguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 305 Posts

Thanks...my orthopod friends all call hip replacement the single best procedure done in orthopedics. It can help someone tremendously and recovery requires minor exercising but not the heavy rehab that a knee replacement necessitates. I've been told that if you are getting an anterior approach hip replacement, you should wait until the surgeon has done at least 100. Someone has to be 1-99....

As for pain meds, I believe that docs, particularly in the ED, are using different protocols than they were using not too long ago. Many, if not all, states have databases that track narcotic prescribing, and it has gotten lots harder to get drugs than it used to be, particularly due to PMP's, Prescription Monitoring Programs.
Are you referring to the "Direct Superior Approach" when you use the term "Anterior Approach" ?
Old 05-16-2019, 10:13 AM
X-ZZ4
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by basicstrategy777 View Post
If you require hip surgery and have spinal stenosis..........which surgery should be performed first and why.

Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
That would depend on the individual. Severe enough spinal stenosis and you could have paralysis and/or incontinence. So in those cases spine intervention has to come first. If the spine can wait, the spine symptoms might improve after the hip repair since the geometry of your body and spine will most likely change after hip replacement. Of course everyone is different, so no guarantees there.
In my case, they (all my doctors) concur to do hip surgery first and "see what happens". My stenosis is currently "moderate" and they believe (hope?) I'll get significant relief in my back also from the hip surgery. They also tell me much of the rehab for the hip is the same as for the back.....so that may help as well. Regardless, one thing at a time. If my back is still bothersome enough 6 months after my hip surgery we'll revisit it.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:29 AM
Hoonose
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by X-ZZ4 View Post
In my case, they (all my doctors) concur to do hip surgery first and "see what happens". My stenosis is currently "moderate" and they believe (hope?) I'll get significant relief in my back also from the hip surgery. They also tell me much of the rehab for the hip is the same as for the back.....so that may help as well. Regardless, one thing at a time. If my back is still bothersome enough 6 months after my hip surgery we'll revisit it.
I hope that everything comes out well for you!
Old 05-16-2019, 10:48 AM
caskiguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MrJlr View Post
I have a bulging disk and all they will give me is ibuprofen. ...I have to get pain pills from friends etc.....
The pain can take me to my knees and all they offer is ibuprofen?
Try Dr. Norms CBD cookies. I've used these and need to refill. I started taking 60mg to get started helps with inflammation. You'll have to find your own level of intake.These won't hurt you.
Many of the dispensaries carry them. https://www.drnormscookies.com/
Weedmaps.com
Feel better.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:00 PM
Dan47
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are easy with sedation. It's the prep that's the hard part, and that has gotten easier over time.

I had both scopes one time, and when I woke up I asked the doc which one he did first. He asked why it mattered. And I said that I woke up with a bad taste in my mouth....
I prepped for my first back when I turned 50. Not bad but I had the unfortunate luck of a big snow storm moving in and shutting the facility down the day of my procedure, so all for naught. Second prep burned like hell.

Depending on the area one lives and time of year, probably a good idea to check weather forecasts prior.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:44 PM
basicstrategy777
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Thanks you two for the info...I am a caregiver and need to string this out as long as I can.....the short odds are I will do the hip surgery first ; appreciate the advice.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:56 PM
Sifu-TZ
CF Senior Member

One thing you can do is combine the digital prostate exam with the colonoscopy. Last colon I had, the last thing I remember is that I was not yet asleep....lol
I'm aware they state that this is not recommended by the ACS, but is this still a viable option?

http://www.simmd.com/Home/PatientEdu...ntentPubID=343

it looks like if they find something you have to do a regular one but it gives a clear pic to your doc.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:58 PM
Hoonose
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
I'm aware they state that this is not recommended by the ACS, but is this still a viable option?

http://www.simmd.com/Home/PatientEdu...ntentPubID=343

it looks like if they find something you have to do a regular one but it gives a clear pic to your doc.
It never seemed to fall into favor or gain any ground.But it is surely better than nothing!
Old 05-16-2019, 05:52 PM
68/70Vette
CF Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

One thing you can do is combine the digital prostate exam with the colonoscopy. Last colon I had, the last thing I remember is that I was not yet asleep....lol
They guy that does the colonoscopy is also qualified to.do an endoscopy (stomach exam). As long as you're "out" might as well have 'em both done. If you wake up with a bad taste in your mouth, you know your doctor did the colonoscopy first!
Old 05-16-2019, 06:04 PM
68/70Vette
CF Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Get the colonoscopy. You get knocked out for the procedure and the prep is not a ton of fun but really not all that bad compared to surgery, chemo and possible death.
Dying of colon cancer is absolutely horrible. Dying of colon cancer is completely unneeded. Ge the colonoscopy. I've had two. The laxative prep is no big deal. Take the day off. Read, surf the internet, every now and then run to the toilet and squirt, then go back to what you were doing before. Repeat this many times. Do this until you're passing clear water.

You have to skip dinner, so after the procedure you'll be hungry and it'll be about lunch time. You'll feel fine after you wake up at the clinic, but actually it takes several hours to fully recover from the anesthetic. Have a nice tasty lunch......it has to be tasty because you're enjoy tasting it all over again when you vomit it out.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:22 PM
vette6799
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by caskiguy View Post
Are you referring to the "Direct Superior Approach" when you use the term "Anterior Approach" ?
Don't know that term. There are two methods primarily used for hip replacement, posterior and anterior. Anterior is to the side-front of your hip.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:28 PM
caskiguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Don't know that term. There are two methods primarily used for hip replacement, posterior and anterior. Anterior is to the side-front of your hip.
Look this method up ( Direct Superior Approach ) as it has even better results than the two mentioned. More Doctors are learning this technique.
Best with whatever method you choose.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:58 AM
Dan47
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
It turns out itís all about how you feel. My original numbers were way lower than yours, and Iím several years younger. Iíve been as high as 1400 and based at around 800.

You will sleep better than ever, and your wife will love you for your enthusiasm. If you exercise youíll find yourself feeling much more satisfied and content. We all felt like **** before we started, thatís what drove us to seek help.

good luck, youíre in for a great change!
Already feeling better than I have in years but felt like I crashed this morning. I think I have to let them do the injections the first month or two, then Iíll have my wife take over and split the doses. Ouch!
Old 05-17-2019, 01:39 PM
htown81vette
CF Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

There is another "poop test" alternative. If you qualify for this (no risk factors) you can get this done annually instead of the 5 year colonoscopy.

I started out with those. You literally just send in a swab of poop sample.
yuck

And I can't imagine being the person who has to take the sample out and test it.

What do you do for a living? Oh I test poop. Shitty job but it pays the bills..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pain Management?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: