Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Police Involved Shooting Near Houston

Old 05-15-2019, 06:24 PM
steve_n_houston
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Police Involved Shooting Near Houston

Including since folks have bitched in the past about some alleged anti-police bias, here's a cop-involved shooting in Baytown, near Houston.

Officer on patrol recognizes woman he knows to have warrants. He attempts to arrest her, including deploying his taser. It's unsuccessful for some reason and a struggle ensues.

At some point, she takes the taser and appears to attempt to use it against the officer. He draws his firearm and shoots and kills her.

Absent additional information, I see absolutely nothing wrong here.

Unfortunately, we have Ben Crump coming to town tomorrow to stir the pot, so there's no telling what **** show will ensue but, based on current facts, this seems like a defensive use of reasonable force.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/p...led-by-officer

Video in link.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:25 PM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts

My response to her death?

"Oh well".
Old 05-15-2019, 06:38 PM
BadUmp
CF Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

surely you can post a more tantalizing thread title than that, such as -

Police officer allegedly shoots dead unarmed pregnant woman ...

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-...02d2b181466b71

come on, get with the program . . .
Old 05-15-2019, 06:46 PM
steve_n_houston
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BadUmp View Post

surely you can post a more tantalizing thread title than that, such as -

Police officer allegedly shoots dead unarmed pregnant woman ...

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-...02d2b181466b71

come on, get with the program . . .
Now I feel ashamed.

Although, in my defense, she was neither pregnant nor unarmed.

Last edited by steve_n_houston; 05-15-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:54 PM
BadUmp
CF Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_n_houston View Post
Now I feel ashamed.

happens to the best of us, don't sweat it . . .

Although, in my defense, she was neither pregnant nor unarmed.
nor intelligent; but, I guess that goes with out question . . .
Old 05-15-2019, 06:56 PM
Sifu-TZ
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It’s a felony to attempt to take a weapon from a police officer, and he’s full within his rights to ventilate that threat.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:33 PM
68/70Vette
CF Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

No one was injured.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:19 PM
brassplyer
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At some point, she takes the taser and appears to attempt to use it against the officer. He draws his firearm and shoots and kills her.

Unfortunately, we have Ben Crump coming to town tomorrow to stir the pot, so there's no telling what **** show will ensue but, based on current facts, this seems like a defensive use of reasonable force.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/p...led-by-officer

Video in link.
You're quick to say the officer did nothing wrong - based on what? We don't see any of what led up to the shooting, nor the shooting itself. I see a large man standing over a woman who's on the ground.

Was it another convenience shooting? "Officer feared for his life" is the magic talisman phrase they know to use. This isn't some hulking bruiser, I'll betcha a decent JV college wrestler could have subdued her and put her in a submission hold in seconds until backup could have assisted.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:39 PM
Mr D.
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 211 Posts

Stupid will get you killed.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:59 PM
avalonjohn
CF Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by brassplyer View Post
You're quick to say the officer did nothing wrong - based on what? We don't see any of what led up to the shooting, nor the shooting itself. I see a large man standing over a woman who's on the ground.

Was it another convenience shooting? "Officer feared for his life" is the magic talisman phrase they know to use. This isn't some hulking bruiser, I'll betcha a decent JV college wrestler could have subdued her and put her in a submission hold in seconds until backup could have assisted.
I see your "why did you become a cop" thread kinda died on the vine. Regardless, I think Steve is simply putting it out there that he calls ***** and strikes like he sees them, and has no bias or agenda, like you seem to. Additionally I find it amusing that now you are asking "what led up to the shooting". 99% of these iPhone videos where LE are crucified before the facts come out never show "what led up" yet so many and so quick to hail them as proof-positive that the cops screwed up, overreacted, or were just being plain bullies.
If I may ask, since you were curious as to why others chose LE as a profession, what do you do for a paycheck?

stay safe.

Last edited by avalonjohn; 05-15-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:47 PM
Torqaholic
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Self-defense against a taser using deadly force? Yup, I'm good with that too, always have been.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:50 PM
brassplyer
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by avalonjohn View Post
Originally Posted by brassplyer
You're quick to say the officer did nothing wrong - based on what? We don't see any of what led up to the shooting, nor the shooting itself. I see a large man standing over a woman who's on the ground

I see your "why did you become a cop" thread kinda died on the vine.
He said smarmily, pretending it means something.

232 replies is clearly well above the average, how long would you like it to be? I'm sure I could point out to BadUmp again that he's full of it, I'm sure we could stretch it out a few more.

Regardless,
You're right, yours was a meaningless comment.

I think Steve is simply putting it out there that he calls ***** and strikes like he sees them,
Or as he wants to see them.

I find it amusing that now you are asking "what led up to the shooting". 99% of these iPhone videos where LE are crucified before the facts come out never show "what led up" yet so many and so quick to hail them as proof-positive that the cops screwed up, overreacted, or were just being plain bullies.
Amusing? I always want to see context and hear what the full story is. Sometimes the context and full story is the cops are acting appropriately, sometimes they aren't. You seem to be butthurt that I don't always think the cops are acting appropriately. Yes, sometimes they are just being bullies. Being reluctant to ever acknowledge this is bias.

You seemed to have conveniently skipped over where some bitched at me for saying I didn't have a problem with the actions of the Rodney King cops, that I asked one poster if he'd seen the entire available video.

Let's check your objectivity - do you think the video referenced above of the cop who shot the crazy lady gives ample, clear evidence that his actions during the entire encounter were proper?

If I may ask, since you were curious as to why others chose LE as a profession, what do you do for a paycheck?
Nothing that involves the daily likelihood of me engaging in violence toward someone.

Last edited by brassplyer; 05-15-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:59 PM
Torqaholic
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '09

You're quick to say the officer did nothing wrong - based on what?
If he's tasered the person who did it can take his gun. Perhaps or probably they would use it to kill him. People are responsible for restricting access to their weapons.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:01 PM
steve_n_houston
CF Senior Member

The full video (which I suspect can be quickly and easily found with a Google search and which, as you can probably imagine, has been played repeatedly on the local news) shows all or substantially all of the encounter, including the part where she appears to lunge at the officer with the taser. At that point, he doesn't and shouldn't have any obligation to use JV wrestling moves on the assailant.

Again, absent further information, this looks like a textbook case of self defense, even ignoring that the guy is a cop and the lady took his Taser.

Last edited by steve_n_houston; 05-15-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:15 PM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Y'know what led up to it? Bitch had warrants. You know who doesn't have warrants? People who show up in court when they are supposed to. I'm not going to put any value on a life when they don't value their own. Fk her. Glad she's dead. Yeah, I said it. 1 down, and too many million to go. I'm sick and tired of leaches and parasites, thugs and people who think the law doesn't apply to them.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:16 PM
brassplyer
CF Senior Member

The full video (which I suspect can be quickly and easily found with a Google search and which, as you can probably imagine, has been played repeatedly on the local news) shows all or substantially all of the encounter, including the part where she appears to lunge at the officer with the taser. At that point, he doesn't and shouldn't have any obligation to use JV wrestling moves on the assailant.

Again, absent further information, this looks like a textbook case of self defense, even ignoring that the guy is a cop and the lady took his Taser.
Originally Posted by Torqaholic View Post
If he's tasered the person who did it can take his gun. Perhaps or probably they would use it to kill him. People are responsible for restricting access to their weapons.
She didn't have a firearm, he couldn't simply step away from her and put distance between them? Was this a projectile-type taser or a non-projectile taser?

None of the video I've seen shows his first encounter with her and why his attention was on her in the first place.

Part of the problem is there's only one cop.

he doesn't and shouldn't have any obligation to use JV wrestling moves on the assailant
Yeah, a lot simpler just to plug her.

Last edited by brassplyer; 05-15-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:21 PM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Yeah, a lot simpler just to plug her.
Agreed. Job well done. I am 100% sure she will never have another warrant issued against her. I am 100% sure she will never have to hide from the court system. Everyone wins.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:32 PM
Torqaholic
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '09

She didn't have a firearm, he couldn't simply step away from her and put distance between them? Was this a projectile-type taser or a non-projectile taser?

The only thing that matters is whether she was a threat.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:44 PM
avalonjohn
CF Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts

He said smarmily, pretending it means something.

232 replies is clearly well above the average, how long would you like it to be? I'm sure I could point out to BadUmp again that he's full of it, I'm sure we could stretch it out a few more.

You're right, yours was a meaningless comment.

Or as he wants to see them.

Amusing? I always want to see context and hear what the full story is. Sometimes the context and full story is the cops are acting appropriately, sometimes they aren't. You seem to be butthurt that I don't always think the cops are acting appropriately. Yes, sometimes they are just being bullies. Being reluctant to ever acknowledge this is bias.

You seemed to have conveniently skipped over where some bitched at me for saying I didn't have a problem with the actions of the Rodney King cops, that I asked one poster if he'd seen the entire available video.

Let's check your objectivity - do you think the video referenced above of the cop who shot the crazy lady gives ample, clear evidence that his actions during the entire encounter were proper?

Nothing that involves the daily likelihood of me engaging in violence toward someone.
Then why do you feel the need to carry a concealed firearm? We will get back to that later.
"232" replies? Are they similar to "followers" or "likes"? " Butthurt"? Not at all. Just accept that being in the Army Band does not qualify you to have an educated conversation on the use of force. I did not watch the video and my response had nothing to do with it.
You mentioned Rodney King and your support for the LEOs actions ( I think, please correct me if I am wrong). I have seen that video and am old enough to remember it. If you think that was justified you are clearly off course.
As far as your profession, please be more specific. You do something to pay the rent right? I only ask to level the playing field.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:58 PM
65Z01
CF Senior Member

Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Another "dindo" gone...oh well...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Police Involved Shooting Near Houston

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: