Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page >

Beta males - Millennial dads have pathetic DIY skills

Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Beta males - Millennial dads have pathetic DIY skills

Old 06-08-2019, 11:55 AM
krackenvette
CF Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

Many Millenials fought and continue to fight in the war as of late. Not all fit the stereotype
Old 06-08-2019, 11:59 AM
BoostManiac
CF Senior Member

Location: Deplorable 160 Proof Olde Anglo-Saxon in Atlanta, GA
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzy Dizzy View Post
If someone flew in from another planet (especially during the Obongo era) and watched American TV for a week, they'd think America was about 60 percent black based on media portrayals, and that White Men were just talentless,stupid, goofball Cucks who always needed help from some whip smart chick or black person, or especially a black chick. Hay guys......how do I operate this copy machine again? I'm just a clueless White Guy. And the aliens would also think only White Guys break into houses and therefore force you to buy home alarm systems.

Last edited by BoostManiac; 06-08-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:40 PM
Stars_Fan
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
they'd rather be stay at home moms while their wife goes to work
stay home, change diapers and play video games
Hey now don't knock it till you try it.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:44 PM
wendellp601
CF Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Dueysan View Post
This! I’m a GenX dad who is pretty handy, but with YouTube videos I’ve saved thousands.

GenX here, too.
I learned a ton of DIY competence from my baby boomer dad.

That quality family time mentioned in the OP article can be had while teaching our kids the joys of a well done DIY project.

Just in the last few months I've taught my 15 year old son how to replace an ice maker in the refrigerator, how to replace damaged fence pickets, how to replace the felt seal on the clothes dryer drum, and how to properly clean my Ruger ranch rifle.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:11 PM
Gunsmith
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I taught my daughter how to fix things for herself. She can build almost anything and do minor repairs on automobiles, alternators, starters etc. I taught her how to be self-sufficient. The "men/boys" she dates are pathetic when it comes to handling these little projects.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:35 PM
MagRedConv
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

It's because they're pussies. Just this side of hetero but pussies all the same.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:39 PM
calwldlife
CF Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 76 Posts

because andy griffith said "call the guy"

my wild *** guess is that society, driven by media, made working with your hands
a dirty word.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:02 PM
KenHorse
AOC = All Out Communist
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
Received 1,120 Likes on 733 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Gunsmith View Post
I taught my daughter how to fix things for herself. She can build almost anything and do minor repairs on automobiles, alternators, starters etc. I taught her how to be self-sufficient. The "men/boys" she dates are pathetic when it comes to handling these little projects.
My dad was the same way - made sure I was experienced with everything from banging 2x4s together to changing brake shoes to running romex through walls, etc (he left the BSEE part to me ).

There is pretty much nothing I can't do "around the house". Hell, my wife and I even added a 2nd story to our home 30 years ago, doing ALL the work ourselves
Old 06-08-2019, 02:33 PM
BobG
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Destroy family values and morality, and kids grow up without a father to teach them these important life lessons. And what do you end up with? Beta boys who don't know how to do anything other than cry for mommy to come fix it for them. Seems like liberals are reaping the harvest of the crops they and their evil have sown. Beta boys are much easier for their beloved and corrupt government to keep control of, so of course liberals cherish them.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:46 PM
tikiman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Next thing you know these ***** millennials will have to hire someone to clean their guns for them.

Oh, wait. Never mind.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:51 PM
BadUmp
CF Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by owebo View Post

We are doomed...

https://nypost.com/2019/06/06/millen...-baby-boomers/

Millennial dads have pathetic DIY skills compared to baby boomers

By Tyler Schmall, SWNS

Are dads’ essential DIY skills in decline? According to new research, millennial dads are less capable than their own dads when it comes to everyday DIY fixes, preferring to rely on professional help instead.

A new poll of 1,000 millennial dads and 1,000 baby boomer dads found that when a DIY task needs to be done at home, more than half of millennials prefer to call a professional.

And when it comes to emergency “handiness” scenarios, millennial dads fall short in almost every category.

Enlarge Image

SWNS

Millennial dads are less likely than their boomer counterparts to be able to change a car tire on the side of the road, unblock a toilet or sink, reset a tripped circuit breaker or even open a stuck pickle jar with their hands.

The new survey, conducted by OnePoll on behalf of Alarm.com, found that modern dads’ toolkits have declined too.

Many millennial dads reported not owning a cordless drill (46%), a stepladder (49%), a set of screwdrivers (38%) or even a hammer (32 percent) — an item owned by 93% of boomer dads.

Why the decline in DIY?

Both generations pointed to modern technology becoming harder to fix as the top reason.

“The technology in the average home has evolved,” says Anne Ferguson, VP of marketing at Alarm.com.

“Hi-tech upgrades like smart home technology require professional support, especially safety and security upgrades. Even the handiest dads see the value of partnering with a professional service provider on an important project like a smart home security system.”

The definition of what it means to be a “handy” dad has also changed, said 79% percent of millennials. Seventy-four percent of boomers agreed with them.

For example, while boomer dads have the edge when it comes to traditional DIY, 62% of boomer dads concede that millennial dads are better at tech-related tasks.

Millennial dads are also more likely than their own fathers to prioritize family time over DIY.

Sixty-one percent would rather hang out with their children than spend that time on DIY, while 49% of millennial dads say they’ve done better than their own dad at spending quality time with their kids.

“Just as dads’ roles have evolved, so has the definition of handiness,” says Ferguson.

“Today’s time-pressed dads are quick to master new tools like apps and mobile technology for their families’ benefit. They’re also more likely to outsource time-consuming home maintenance to professionals who have the tools and training to get the job done right — a handy trade-off that enables today’s dads to spend more time with the people they love
"more than half of millennials prefer to call a professional."
Good luck with this as well, since most professionals have either retired or are nearing retirement; and, there are few REAL professionals out in the field today. Lots of scam artists who will slap on a roof or siding, come clear your plumbing line or change water heater; but, just give it a few weeks and most will see that their work doesn't holds up for crap . . .
Old 06-08-2019, 02:54 PM
MagRedConv
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

"A new poll of 1,000 millennial dads and 1,000 baby boomer dads found that when a DIY task needs to be done at home, more than half of millennials prefer to call a professional ILLEGAL ALIEN."

Had to
Old 06-08-2019, 02:57 PM
RandolphB
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the other hand, since the early 80's more and more stuff has become disposable. When it costs more to fix it than to purchase a new one, why bother repairing it? I recently needed to repair a 6 year old carpet cleaner. The parts alone were 15 bucks less than buying a new, improved model. Why repair it? Goodwill got another parts source.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:42 PM
theandies
CF Senior Member

Location: "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
Received 310 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
I don't think its a strength contest - and come back and brag when you're twice your current age...

The latest crop of millenials just flat don't want to get their hands dirty - they want to get on Angie's List or Home Advisor and find somebody cheap and when Billy-Bob gives them a price they go into sticker shock but still pay it rather than learn how to do something themselves.

I still do all my own electrical, plumbing, car mechanical work, appliance repair and light construction. At 68, I don't get up on ladders real high or work on roofs, etc. anymore...
I just got off my ladder cleaning and power washing my garage gutters and siding. I'm 55. My wife gets pissed when I repair her 1994 washer and dryer multiple times over the years because she always has that gleem in her eye when she thinks they are dead for good and wants new ones. lol
Today's youth are lost and it's a damn shame. I've been teaching my boys how to do stuff around the house and the seem indifferent but I still make them do it. It will help them in the long run. The problem is some baby boomers never taught their kids DYI stuff and now a generation removed most of this stuff is lost on our youth. This country is truly fucked.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:58 PM
vader86
CF Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 262 Posts

I know a few of them, cannot fix a damn thing.

Whereas I fix nearly everything myself and people think I'm amazing for knowing how to do so many things. wtf people.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:37 PM
mrvette
CF Senior Member

Received 134 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Cooter Tech View Post
My neighbor was a carpenter, rough and finish carpentry, it made him an old man before his time. His hands just looked to be in constant pain.
Originally Posted by LarsAtTheBeach View Post
My hands are in constant pain.
I just plain suffer arthritis, work related or not, and yes, I have many friends in the trades, and over the last 20 years here I have watched them age out and get more critical as to which/what job sites they go to, the constant driving, and then 8 hours on sites is a tad much at age 50 or so, they can't wait to retire, as the work load is getting to be a hell of a drag.....

now in Wash DC region....they ALL .gov employees who did nothing for a living for 30+ years......
Old 06-08-2019, 06:50 PM
Torch FRC
CF Senior Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostManiac View Post
If someone flew in from another planet (especially during the Obongo era) and watched American TV for a week, they'd think America was about 60 percent black based on media portrayals, and that White Men were just talentless,stupid, goofball Cucks who always needed help from some whip smart chick or black person, or especially a black chick. Hay guys......how do I operate this copy machine again? I'm just a clueless White Guy. And the aliens would also think only White Guys break into houses and therefore force you to buy home alarm systems.

So true
Old 06-08-2019, 07:05 PM
KarlK
CF Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Stars_Fan View Post
Hey now don't knock it till you try it.
is that you Voy?
Old 06-08-2019, 07:30 PM
Dale1990
CF Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I'm just inside the millennial cutoff and I can somewhat empathize with folks that don't do much DIY work. I wasn't born with much mechanical aptitude and my career field (IT) doesn't help but I still try to DIY as much as possible. With Youtube vids, blogs, forums, etc it's easier than ever to research a problem or project and find a vid of someone doing it. Heck, I've made quite few posts over in OT about HVAC and small engine questions along with God-knows how many posts over in the tech sections about fixing my cars. I farm out things that I can't reasonably justify buying the tools to do (like machining LS7 heads for "the fix"), though. I try to do as much as I can. I do wind up taking a lot longer than hiring a pro, though.

My dad and grandfather were all about DIYing as much as possible so that's probably where I picked it up. Most of my friends also DIY most home an car projects and try involving their kids.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:28 PM
shor0814
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should have polled the millennial women.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Beta males - Millennial dads have pathetic DIY skills

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: