Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page >

Beta males - Millennial dads have pathetic DIY skills

Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Beta males - Millennial dads have pathetic DIY skills

Old 06-08-2019, 05:39 AM
owebo
CF Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16
Default Beta males - Millennial dads have pathetic DIY skills

We are doomed...

https://nypost.com/2019/06/06/millen...-baby-boomers/

Millennial dads have pathetic DIY skills compared to baby boomers

By Tyler Schmall, SWNS

Are dads’ essential DIY skills in decline? According to new research, millennial dads are less capable than their own dads when it comes to everyday DIY fixes, preferring to rely on professional help instead.

A new poll of 1,000 millennial dads and 1,000 baby boomer dads found that when a DIY task needs to be done at home, more than half of millennials prefer to call a professional.

And when it comes to emergency “handiness” scenarios, millennial dads fall short in almost every category.

Enlarge Image

SWNS

Millennial dads are less likely than their boomer counterparts to be able to change a car tire on the side of the road, unblock a toilet or sink, reset a tripped circuit breaker or even open a stuck pickle jar with their hands.

The new survey, conducted by OnePoll on behalf of Alarm.com, found that modern dads’ toolkits have declined too.

Many millennial dads reported not owning a cordless drill (46%), a stepladder (49%), a set of screwdrivers (38%) or even a hammer (32 percent) — an item owned by 93% of boomer dads.

Why the decline in DIY?

Both generations pointed to modern technology becoming harder to fix as the top reason.

“The technology in the average home has evolved,” says Anne Ferguson, VP of marketing at Alarm.com.

“Hi-tech upgrades like smart home technology require professional support, especially safety and security upgrades. Even the handiest dads see the value of partnering with a professional service provider on an important project like a smart home security system.”

The definition of what it means to be a “handy” dad has also changed, said 79% percent of millennials. Seventy-four percent of boomers agreed with them.

For example, while boomer dads have the edge when it comes to traditional DIY, 62% of boomer dads concede that millennial dads are better at tech-related tasks.

Millennial dads are also more likely than their own fathers to prioritize family time over DIY.

Sixty-one percent would rather hang out with their children than spend that time on DIY, while 49% of millennial dads say they’ve done better than their own dad at spending quality time with their kids.

“Just as dads’ roles have evolved, so has the definition of handiness,” says Ferguson.

“Today’s time-pressed dads are quick to master new tools like apps and mobile technology for their families’ benefit. They’re also more likely to outsource time-consuming home maintenance to professionals who have the tools and training to get the job done right — a handy trade-off that enables today’s dads to spend more time with the people they love
Old 06-08-2019, 06:39 AM
dpd3672
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both generations pointed to modern technology becoming harder to fix as the top reason.

“The technology in the average home has evolved,” says Anne Ferguson, VP of marketing at Alarm.com.​​​​​​
It's a shame, because DIY projects and repairs are a MILLION times easier these days, with the help of Google and You Tube videos. Projects I never dreamed of taking on are easily accomplished now.

That said, I've always believed taking on repair or project is as much about confidence and logical thinking, which are sorely absent in most of today's Beta males. And I'm not being unfairly critical, these are simply not traits they value as much as their parents and grandparents.

To their credit, however, I do agree that technology has evolved, and they're often better than their parents at fixing computer problems or programming the microwave clock, and for the same reasons, they're often less intimidated and able to understand the logical steps to accomplish the task better than us old folks.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:51 AM
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member

Received 774 Likes on 598 Posts

I know one of these betas who couldn't open his garage door when the power cut out. He was totally screwed. He called for help. He still hasn't heard the end of that one, and never will.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:01 AM
Waytofastvette2006
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup !

Im a real man I lifted a 100lb+ roll of greenhouse plastic 18 foot off the ground yesterday. Talk about tuff ! My ladder is 16ft lifting 100+ lbs above your head glad I don’t do that every day !!!

Im not no skinny jean wearing ************ that’s for sure! 36 years old here !!

But hey I’m a farmer I sleep best when I’m good and sore ....

Last edited by Waytofastvette2006; 06-08-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:11 AM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,795 Likes on 2,948 Posts

I don't think its a strength contest - and come back and brag when you're twice your current age...

The latest crop of millenials just flat don't want to get their hands dirty - they want to get on Angie's List or Home Advisor and find somebody cheap and when Billy-Bob gives them a price they go into sticker shock but still pay it rather than learn how to do something themselves.

I still do all my own electrical, plumbing, car mechanical work, appliance repair and light construction. At 68, I don't get up on ladders real high or work on roofs, etc. anymore...
Old 06-08-2019, 07:25 AM
wbvette
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It’s funny how different each generation is

like I put together a basketball hoop for my nephews with no assistance. My main helper were stacks of milk crates. If it was one of my brothers they would have paid someone to put it together. I remember when my nephews were younger and I got them a swing set first thing that you see when you open the box is an ad for someone to put it together for you it gave my the lols seeing that.

Its all laziness has nothing to do with skills
Old 06-08-2019, 08:08 AM
mrvette
CF Senior Member

Received 134 Likes on 128 Posts

Age 75 here, as a little kid, I grew older with my Father working around the house and taking care of stuff, he used to be a carpenter back in the 1920's, and so all his tools went to my son....I remember Dad building a train table from 2 sheets of ply and a bunch of 2x4's for my Lionel trains, I learned a bit about electric stuffs there, and when TV first came out in 1953 for us, I was fascinated, and of course when stereo came out in the later 50's that sound was very strange.....and so I came into the electronics hobby, making my own vacuum tube amps and speakers for stereo, and also friends in R&R bands......back in the daze when WW2 surplus centers were around and I could find electronics parts for pennies, literally .....as time went on of course I went into the CAR hobby, still stuck with that one.....and of course finding out how to maintain a house from my Father......everything from REAL windoze to doors, to stairs, to electrical and galvanized pipe plumbing,

AND with my son who is age 35 now, him as his sister age 37, both learned from me even after the divorce, as they watched my rebuild a couple of houses, many cars, boats, and set up a YEUGGGE Lionel train layout in an extra garage slot I had......their scout troops/dens? would come over to my car jacked up in the garage to climb all over and under the car, learning about brakes, steering, engines, carbs, Fuel Injection, airflow, radiators, drive lines, etc....got good and greazy, even the brownie/gal scouts.....my kids watched as I tore hell outta a couple of houses redoing kitchens, baths, chiseling up floors for plumbing changes, etc.....

My daughter just outta college sent me a pix of her changing her own serp drive fan belt on her car.....little greazy paw all outstretched and pointing to the car as mission accomplished.....
My son has a nothing degree, but he works advanced math as working for his master surveyor license, out in Ca. .....the difference being, that if you are off 1/4 inch in FLORIDA no one gives a damn......off by 1/4 inch in CALIFORNIA, and get your *** sued off.....because THAT covers SIX ACRES of ground......
Old 06-08-2019, 08:17 AM
Red99SS
CF Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm a Millennial. I'm also an ironworker these days. But I grew up with a dad who was a union carpenter who always told me "What, do you want to grow up and be like me?" "What, do you want to work with your hands for a living?" "You're going to go to college for computers and make a lot of money!" That was what we were told. "Go to college for computers." We were all going to make a fortune with computers, but our parents had no idea how or why.

My situation is not unique. So I can kind of understand why people my age can't do **** around the home. We got sold a pretty **** bill of goods back when our parents bought into the "everyone's going to college and becoming a millionaire!" schtick back in the 90s.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:23 AM
Derrick Reynolds
CF Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18

Originally Posted by dpd3672 View Post
It's a shame, because DIY projects and repairs are a MILLION times easier these days, with the help of Google and You Tube videos. Projects I never dreamed of taking on are easily accomplished now.

I have cleared dozens of clogs with the tools I have, and neighbor's have. TWICE in 23 years, I had clogs that I COLD NOT get clear, and called a plumber. It was about $150 each time, so I think about what I would have paid if I called every time someone clogged a toilet? Thousands.

I have made repairs to my washer (twice), refrigerator (3 times), microwave, and dishwasher with help from the internet. My kids have been SHOCKED when I repaired their laptops (my wife helped me with my daughter's). Seriously, if you have basic tools, and can use Google, you can save yourself THOUSANDS of dollars by doing simple repairs yourself.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:24 AM
tikiman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader View Post
I know one of these betas who couldn't open his garage door when the power cut out. He was totally screwed. He called for help. He still hasn't heard the end of that one, and never will.
That's nothing. We have one illiterate retard on here who started a thread crying about how his "breaks" we're squealing. Douchebag pretends to have an advanced degree too. What a pathetic putz.

Last edited by tikiman; 06-08-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:46 AM
SPIVET
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And they will perpetuate clones of the same type of weak spawn as they are just beta sperm donors now. Sad to see where our great Country is headed.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:57 AM
Cooter Tech
CF Senior Member

Received 185 Likes on 132 Posts

My thinking too, but how go you account for the popularity of Home Depot and Lowes?
Old 06-08-2019, 08:57 AM
65Z01
CF Senior Member

Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Indeed I would wager that today's beta males would shy from anything requiring physical effort and rather be Mr. mommy...

This topic rather reminds me of a recent idiotic commercial wherein some FLF beta is sitting on a couch letting his daughter smear makeup all over his stupid face till he sits there looking like a girly twit.

Today's www make it much easier to DIY virtually anything. All it takes is determination and desire to "want" to do it.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:01 AM
krackenvette
CF Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

With Youtube, Google, online manuals etc etc, there is no excuse to at least look **** up and give it a try...
DIY is very easy with the internet..
Old 06-08-2019, 09:07 AM
LarsAtTheBeach
CF Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I’ve been a carpenter for 50 years. And frankly, I wish I would have quit 30 years ago. I’ be 60 in a few months and I’m flat wore out.

Recently I sold and gave away my tools. I’M DONE. I kept a few small things for simple tasks but even those are a pita, literally.

Even fishing and hunting hurts. About all I can do is walk my dogs.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:10 AM
LarsAtTheBeach
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cooter Tech View Post
My thinking too, but how go you account for the popularity of Home Depot and Lowes?
Those business destroyed the small contractor. People are cheap and believe buying the materials themselves and hiring the landscaper to install flooring is a win.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:13 AM
Cooter Tech
CF Senior Member

Received 185 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by LarsAtTheBeach View Post
I’ve been a carpenter for 50 years. And frankly, I wish I would have quit 30 years ago. I’ be 60 in a few months and I’m flat wore out.

Recently I sold and gave away my tools. I’M DONE. I kept a few small things for simple tasks but even those are a pita, literally.

Even fishing and hunting hurts. About all I can do is walk my dogs.
My neighbor was a carpenter, rough and finish carpentry, it made him an old man before his time. His hands just looked to be in constant pain.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:20 AM
LarsAtTheBeach
CF Senior Member

My neighbor was a carpenter, rough and finish carpentry, it made him an old man before his time. His hands just looked to be in constant pain.
My hands are in constant pain.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:24 AM
dbdave
CF Senior Member

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

As a money saving necessity, I was never afraid to tackle any DIY project. If it was beyond my knowledge level, I self trained myself to get them done properly. More often than not, the larger projects such as re-roofing a house took longer but were done correctly. My trust level of contractors and such was never at a high level so I dug in. It takes self-confidence and a sense of adventure in undertaking a challenge that is lacking in today's world. Fear gets little done.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:25 AM
SPIVET
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do you think many contractors buy their supplies/ provide their services?

Last edited by SPIVET; 06-08-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Beta males - Millennial dads have pathetic DIY skills

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: