Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Colorado Christian Persecution Continues

Old 06-12-2019, 12:17 PM
ZumZum
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colorado Christian Persecution Continues

Colorado Christian cakeshop sued a third time for discrimination

By Caleb Parke
| Fox News

The owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop -- which won a case before the U.S. Supreme Court recently -- was sued for a third time this week.

Jack Phillips, the Lakewood, Colo. bakery owner who has refused to bake cakes that violate his Christian faith, is being sued again by Autumn Scardina, a transgender woman, for refusing to bake a gender transition cake.

Scardina claims it is textbook LGBT discrimination. But Phillips said she is rehashing old claims that hold no merit.

WASHINGTON SUPREME COURT RULES AGAINST FLORIST WHO REFUSED SERVICE FOR GAY COUPLE'S WEDDING

Phillips describes himself as an artist who uses cakes as "canvas" to express ideas and celebrate events. He has insisted he doesn't want to do something that goes against his faith. He said the cases against him have directly affected his family and business and he's faced death threats and harassment.

The Supreme Court ruled in favor of Phillips last year in a case where he refused to bake a cake for a same-sex wedding. The high court ruled the Colorado Civil Rights Commission showed "anti-religious bias" when it filed a discrimination charge against Phillips.

SOUTHERN BAPTISTS MEET IN ALABAMA, 'MAJOR RESET' NEEDED FOR LARGEST PROTESTANT DENOMINATION

The commission then filed another complaint against Phillips after he refused to make Scardina a cake celebrating a gender transition. He, in turn, sued the state claiming he was being singled out for his religious beliefs.

The Commission and Phillips agreed to drop their cases in March after discovery showed "anti-religious hostility" from the state toward the family-run bakery.

Video
Scardina decided to pursue separate litigation, which attorneys filed Wednesday in district court.

“The dignity of all citizens in our state needs to be honored. Masterpiece Cakeshop said before the Supreme Court they would serve any baked good to members of the LGBTQ community. It was just the religious significance of it being a wedding cake,” Paula Griesen, one of the attorneys representing Scardina, told the local CBS station. “We don’t believe they’ve been honest with the public.”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/colorado-...discrimination
Man, those Christian haters just won't give up!
Old 06-12-2019, 12:18 PM
ZumZum
CF Senior Member

Old 06-12-2019, 12:27 PM
Z Factor
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZumZum View Post
[h1]

Man, those Christian haters just won't give up!
More examples of the tolerant left.

We need tort reform, and to make people pay if they lose a case, to help stop frivolous and punitive lawsuits designed to harass or bankrupt people.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:32 PM
LarsAtTheBeach
CF Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Someone needs to find a Muslim bake shop and demand a gay wedding cake.
Or a black bake shop and demand a KKK cake. Or maybe a Jewish bake shop and demand a **** cake.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:36 PM
Brunello
CF Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

It doesn’t violate your faith to bake a cake. That wasn’t one of the 10 Commandments. That’s just bullshit and a reason to discriminate. If you put your political or religious views front and center on a business that does not require it, you are asking for problems. I was seeking to buy some USA made shorts today and didn’t because they decided to politicize their website. I found another company making a more expensive product that I will buy from.

(BTW, company Xeylon or something like that. Owner had a MAGA hat. No way for me but a good source for some of you guys who also appreciate US made stuff.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:39 PM
Tormania
CF Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Brunello View Post
It doesn’t violate your faith to bake a cake. That wasn’t one of the 10 Commandments. That’s just bullshit and a reason to discriminate. If you put your political or religious views front and center on a business that does not require it, you are asking for problems. I was seeking to buy some USA made shorts today and didn’t because they decided to politicize their website. I found another company making a more expensive product that I will buy from.

(BTW, company Xeylon or something like that. Owner had a MAGA hat. No way for me but a good source for some of you guys who also appreciate US made stuff.
And forcing people to do **** they don't want to do isn't in the 10 Commandments either. You libs just don't get it so you bully and harass folks that you don't agree with. Truly despicable people.

Last edited by Tormania; 06-12-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:48 PM
NY09C6
CF Senior Member

Received 312 Likes on 203 Posts

So far the courts disagree with you.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:50 PM
TBIRD57
CF Senior Member

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

on the grounds of his Christian beliefs opens a pandora box of cases forever:
i'm a Catholic which says my church is the only one true church so no religious celebrating cakes
for heretical non-Catholics
No cake- Moslems because they are infidels
No anniversary cake for trump because he is divorced and commits adultery
No cake for veterans because they kill-thou shall not kill
the list can get endless
Old 06-12-2019, 12:53 PM
shor0814
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a good thing that you don't get to determine someone else's faith. There is more to faith than the 10 Commandments.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:55 PM
ZumZum
CF Senior Member

So you exercised your freedom and chose from vendor B instead of vendor A. See how that works? I'd wager there are plenty of other bakers that would be happy to baker him/her a transgender birthday cake. Whatever the F that is.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:58 PM
ZumZum
CF Senior Member

“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.” American liberals have almost entirely abandoned liberalism, with its tenets of generosity and tolerance, and now insist on conformity and homogeneity — to be enforced at the point of a government bayonet, if necessary, or through financial ruination, or whatever other means of coercion is near at hand.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/...s-persecution/
Old 06-12-2019, 01:00 PM
blufinz52
CF Senior Member

Nothing worse than an intolerant, holier-than-thou Christian.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:05 PM
colo63sw
CF Senior Member

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

So, according to libs, would the baker be FORCED to make a cake with a detailed depiction of **** sex? If not forced, then the baker is allowed to discriminate on the basis of decency, but not on grounds of religious freedom.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:12 PM
CuzzinJack
CF Senior Member

Location: I've Been In The Woods Too Long To Be Frightened By An Owl
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about this for a solution ..

''Yes , you can have your money /deposit back ..Have a nice day ''

Old 06-12-2019, 01:16 PM
TCracingCA
CF Senior Member

Received 313 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by TBIRD57 View Post
on the grounds of his Christian beliefs opens a pandora box of cases forever:
i'm a Catholic which says my church is the only one true church so no religious celebrating cakes
for heretical non-Catholics
No cake- Moslems because they are infidels
No anniversary cake for trump because he is divorced and commits adultery
No cake for veterans because they kill-thou shall not kill
the list can get endless
This naturally is a good point, but it is the artists talent or the businesses choice as to what he offers, that is the separating factor here. What he choose to make and display or to buy and stock, can't be forced. As the cases have stated, anyone of any distinction can walk in and buy what is on the self, or get a cake from the catalog of what he has made.

Walmart could tomorrow refuse to sell anything blue, and could they be forced to stock and display blue?

The reverse could happen too, where like Kosher food places, are forced to sell Big Macs.
LBGQT stores, are forced to sale Straight T-shirts.
General Dynamics is forced to sell me an F-16 fighter jet with all of the fun missiles!
the list could get endless.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 06-12-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:22 PM
Dueysan
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So can I sue a Muslim sandwich shop that doesn’t serve pulled pork sandwiches? Why is that any different than a cake shop that won’t put dilldoes and pipe “Best Wishes Steve and Larry on your Marriage” onto a cake. Sorry we don’t make those is all that should suffice. Can they say no to a “Congratulations on Your Abortion!” cake or how about a “10 Years as a Satanist” cake?

Last edited by Dueysan; 06-12-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:24 PM
Brunello
CF Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

So, what you’re advocating for is more discrimination? So do we go back to “whites only” cake shops and “no Jews need apply” signs in store windows. The really simple solution is to realize that Jesus really doesn’t give a **** who you sell a cake to. He might be more interested in you demonstrating a little more compassion and putting extra love into a cake for someone whose life you don’t fully understand. But today’s “Christians” are asserting their right to be just like all the other bigoted ******** in the world. Bless their hearts!

Originally Posted by colo63sw View Post
So, according to libs, would the baker be FORCED to make a cake with a detailed depiction of **** sex? If not forced, then the baker is allowed to discriminate on the basis of decency, but not on grounds of religious freedom.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:24 PM
Zoomin
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 123 Likes on 101 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by blufinz52 View Post
Nothing worse than an intolerant, holier-than-thou Christian.
Sure there is - an intolerant, holier-than-thou transgender that can't just move along and is trying to force someone to disavow their beliefs or close up shop.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:31 PM
'Shifter
U*S*A-Love It or Leave It
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 188 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

The easiest solution would be to start stackin' bodies.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:32 PM
blufinz52
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 'Shifter View Post
The easiest solution would be to start stackin' bodies.
You mean Christian cake shop owners? No, violence isn't the answer....ever.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Colorado Christian Persecution Continues

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: