Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Planet between Mars and Jupiter

Old 06-12-2019, 06:57 PM
ifitgoesfast
CF Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Planet between Mars and Jupiter

This is because the space scientists theorise Psyche is really the core of a planet which broke apart following a succession of apocalyptic collisions.

NASA experts hope they can observe the solar systemís distant past, when protoplanet encounters created Earth and destroyed other would-be terrestrial planets.

These resemble those remnants floating between Mars and Jupiter.

Professor Lindy Elkins-Tanton of Arizona State University, the studyís lead investigator said: ďWith the transition into this new mission phase, we are one big step closer to uncovering the secrets of Psyche, a giant mysterious metallic asteroid, and that means the world to us.Ē
https://www.express.co.uk/news/scien...ion-space-news
Old 06-12-2019, 07:08 PM
VETTRLZ
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great. Good luck finding an economical way to mine and transport it...and.... Even if we could find a reasonably economical way to get a large amount of nickel from there back to here... that would make it far less scarce, and eventually the value of nickel would plummet.

Oh, and there is nothing particularly mysterious about a metallic asteroid. The Earth is mostly molten metal. Metallic objects are common in space.

Last edited by VETTRLZ; 06-12-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:14 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Sorry - that site is full of pseudo & bunk science. Another of it's articles mentions the impending apocalyptic climate event. And some fool talks of ways to shield the Earth in 5 billion years from Sol going to a red giant - So why plan for an Earth shield 5 billions years in the future when we are all going to die in 12 years anyway?
Old 06-12-2019, 07:16 PM
ifitgoesfast
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by VETTRLZ View Post
Great. Good luck finding an economical way to mine and transport it...and.... Even if we could find a reasonably economical way to get a large amount of nickel from there back to here... that would make it far less scarce, and eventually the value of nickel would plummet.

Oh, and there is nothing particularly mysterious about a metallic asteroid. The Earth is mostly molten metal. Metallic objects are common in space.
Who says they want to bring it back? When I was a kid, I had future comics/magazines. One I remember was colonizing the interior of a giant asteroid, using its raw materials onsite.

And itís the lead investigator calling this particular giant asteroid (remnant of planet) mysterious.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:19 PM
ifitgoesfast
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ratflinger View Post
Sorry - that site is full of pseudo & bunk science. Another of it's articles mentions the impending apocalyptic climate event. And some fool talks of ways to shield the Earth in 5 billion years from Sol going to a red giant - So why plan for an Earth shield 5 billions years in the future when we are all going to die in 12 years anyway?
ad hominem, no?

Read OP quote and this one from NASA.

Designed to explore a metal asteroid that could be the heart of a planet, the Psyche mission is readying for a 2022 launch. After extensive review, NASA Headquarters in Washington has approved the mission to begin the final design and fabrication phase, otherwise known as Phase C. This is when the Psyche team finalizes the system design, develops detailed plans and procedures for the spacecraft and science mission, and completes both assembly and testing of the spacecraft and its subsystems.

"The Psyche team is not only elated that we have the go-ahead for Phase C, more importantly we are ready," said Principal Investigator Lindy Elkins-Tanton of Arizona State University in Tempe. "With the transition into this new mission phase, we are one big step closer to uncovering the secrets of Psyche, a giant mysterious metallic asteroid, and that means the world to us."
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7419
Old 06-12-2019, 07:19 PM
ratflinger
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast View Post
Who says they want to bring it back? When I was a kid, I had future comics/magazines. One I remember was colonizing the interior of a giant asteroid, using its raw materials onsite.

And itís the lead investigator calling this particular giant asteroid (remnant of planet) mysterious.
Hell, we can't even land on the Moon anymore
Old 06-12-2019, 07:21 PM
ifitgoesfast
CF Senior Member

We can
Old 06-12-2019, 07:22 PM
KenHorse
AOC = All Out Communist
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
Received 1,143 Likes on 747 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

We could if we wanted to.....
Old 06-12-2019, 07:24 PM
TCracingCA
CF Senior Member

Received 313 Likes on 276 Posts

I would just hire the extraterrestrials! I am sure we could barter their services, in trade for some Corvette forum Live Subject Liberals to study and probe!
Old 06-12-2019, 07:53 PM
blufinz52
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Chinese recently sent a craft to the moon.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:55 PM
KenHorse
AOC = All Out Communist
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
Received 1,143 Likes on 747 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by blufinz52 View Post
The Chinese recently sent a craft to the moon.
Didn't mention Israel, eh?
Old 06-12-2019, 08:00 PM
blufinz52
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
Didn't mention Israel, eh?
I think their moon landing was less than successful
Old 06-12-2019, 08:04 PM
ratflinger
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
We could if we wanted to.....
I want to, when do we leave?
Old 06-13-2019, 10:51 AM
VETTRLZ
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast View Post

Using raw nickel onsite... for what? And if you're not planning on utilizing it on Earth where it would actually have a $$ value, then why even mention that it has a $$ value? You know what, the galaxy is full of Trillions of Quadrillions of Billions of dollars worth of all kinds of materials, but it's all worth exactly $0.00 if you can't utilize it within your economy, so there's not really a point in monetizing it, is there? It's just a dumb statement.

It would have been more scientifically interesting to just give an estimate of the the tons of nickel. And yeah, I'm all for exploring to gain knowledge, but we have known for a long time that the asteroid belt was very likely a failed metallic-rocky planet that broke up. I'm not sure what this mission will teach us, but okay.

As for shielding us from the sun becoming a red giant....
Old 06-13-2019, 11:39 AM
ifitgoesfast
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by VETTRLZ View Post
Using raw nickel onsite... for what? And if you're not planning on utilizing it on Earth where it would actually have a $$ value, then why even mention that it has a $$ value? You know what, the galaxy is full of Trillions of Quadrillions of Billions of dollars worth of all kinds of materials, but it's all worth exactly $0.00 if you can't utilize it within your economy, so there's not really a point in monetizing it, is there? It's just a dumb statement.

It would have been more scientifically interesting to just give an estimate of the the tons of nickel. And yeah, I'm all for exploring to gain knowledge, but we have known for a long time that the asteroid belt was very likely a failed metallic-rocky planet that broke up. I'm not sure what this mission will teach us, but okay.

As for shielding us from the sun becoming a red giant....
Perhaps to justify funding, but itís not just one raw material in abundance; i.e. iron, etc.

http://www.sci-news.com/astronomy/sc...ons-03249.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science...als-ncna994996

Last edited by ifitgoesfast; 06-13-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Planet between Mars and Jupiter

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: