Notices
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Trumpís Repeated Falsehood on Auto Plants

Old 06-23-2019, 08:23 AM
slewfoot1956
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14
Default Trumpís Repeated Falsehood on Auto Plants

https://www.factcheck.org/2019/06/tr...n-auto-plants/

By Lori Robertson
Posted on June 21, 2019

In launching his reelection campaign, President Donald Trump repeated a claim about new auto plants that he made a year-and-a-half ago. Itís still not true, and it fits a pattern of Trump falsely boasting of unexpected or unusual gains in the auto industry.

Trump said of the U.S. auto industry in his June 18 rally in Orlando: ďMany, many plants are now under construction in Michigan and Ohio, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida. They hadnít built one in decades and now theyíre all over the place.Ē Itís not true that the auto industry hasnít built a new plant ďin decades.Ē As for the ďmany, many plants Ö now under construction,Ē Bernard Swiecki, director of the Automotive Communities Partnership at the Center for Automotive Research, told us he knew of only two new assembly plants under construction or newly announced ó a Toyota/Mazda joint venture plant in Alabama (announced in January 2018) and a Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) plant in Michigan (announced in February).

Swiecki sent us a list of the 12 assembly plants that have been announced in North America since 2009. Four of those were in the U.S., while eight went to Mexico and none to Canada.

CAR, a research group based in Michigan that receives some of its funding from the government, tracks auto industry investments in North America.

On Jan. 30, 2018, in his State of the Union speech, Trump similarly claimed: ďMany car companies are now building and expanding plants in the United States ó something we havenít seen for decades.Ē At the time, we wrote that two new auto assembly plants had been announced in the nine years before Trump took office, as Kristin Dziczek, vice president of CARís industry, labor & economics group, told us.

In 2015, Volvo announced its first U.S. plant in Berkeley County, South Carolina ó one of the states Trump mentioned in his June 18 rally. Volvo says on its website that it broke ground on the plant on Sept. 25, 2015.

Also that year, Mercedes-Benz announced it, too, would open an assembly plant in South Carolina. It celebrated the groundbreaking in July 2016.

We asked the White House press office for a list of the auto plants ďnow under construction in Michigan and Ohio, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida,Ē as Trump claimed this week. We have not received one. Our fact-checking colleagues at the Washington Post made a similar query this month of the Trump campaign, but also didnít get any information.

Itís worth noting that since Trump took office, GM has announced the closure of up to five plants in North America. In May, it announced it was in negotiations to sell one of those plants, in Lordstown, Ohio, to an electric vehicle company and would make investments in other facilities in the state.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:01 AM
owebo
CF Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Factcheck.....
Old 06-23-2019, 09:12 AM
Derrick Reynolds
CF Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18

Fake news if I have ever read it. When I saw this:

Originally Posted by slewfoot1956 View Post
We asked the White House press office for a list of the auto plants ďnow under construction in Michigan and Ohio, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida,Ē as Trump claimed this week. We have not received one. Our fact-checking colleagues at the Washington Post made a similar query this month of the Trump campaign, but also didnít get any information.
I had the brilliant thought to go here: http://google.com

And type in something that I'm sure only a genius could figure out, I typed "new manufacturing plants in the us"

The results were shocking! Dozens of new manufacturing plant announcement came up. Sure, not all of them were related to automobile manufacturing, but a significant percentage were. There was also information about things like manufacturing facility vacancy is now at a level not seen in decades, etc.

Bullshit article.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:08 AM
tiojames
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Once again a resident libbie has his *** handed to him. I guess TDS keeps him from checking out his "news" from these lib rags before he posts it up.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:11 AM
GARYFINN
CF Senior Member

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 288 Likes on 161 Posts

Slew is uneducated give him a break.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:13 AM
blufinz52
CF Senior Member

Trump's an inveterate liar. Always has been. Can't believe anything he says.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:17 AM
owebo
CF Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Originally Posted by blufinz52 View Post
What lies snowflake?
Old 06-23-2019, 10:40 AM
KurtsZ06
CF Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Look at the bigger picture you dipshits. Our economy is thriving. Yours and mine investments have doubled in the past 3 years after 8 years of negative retraction or stagnation.
Picking apart a minor segment of overall GNP is foolish, uneducated on your part. If you want to focus your efforts, then boycott in your purchases any company that continues to shift production in Mexico or China.

All these libs criticizing Trump, yet they look at their asset statements and smile. Two faced ******* that they are.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:52 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own either a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts

Good grief. Get off your hypocritical high horse. I've seen you lie on this forum. Perhaps you should consider reducing the number of falsehoods out of your mouth before you bitch about someone else.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:28 AM
blufinz52
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 69427 View Post
Good grief. Get off your hypocritical high horse. I've seen you lie on this forum. Perhaps you should consider reducing the number of falsehoods out of your mouth before you bitch about someone else.
So you're comparing lying on a corvette forum, which I haven't, btw, and the President of the United States lying just about every day is equivalent? That's f'd up!
Old 06-23-2019, 11:33 AM
GARYFINN
CF Senior Member

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that

Originally Posted by 69427 View Post
It's not really lies if you are too stupid to realize they are lies.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:38 AM
KarlK
CF Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't pay much attention to his tweets and what he says. That's just **** to drive the libs crazy usually.
It's what he does that matters to me and how I'll judge his presidency.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:42 AM
CuZ06
CF Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Derrick Reynolds View Post
Fake news if I have ever read it. When I saw this:

I had the brilliant thought to go here: http://google.com

And type in something that I'm sure only a genius could figure out, I typed "new manufacturing plants in the us"

The results were shocking! Dozens of new manufacturing plant announcement came up. Sure, not all of them were related to automobile manufacturing, but a significant percentage were. There was also information about things like manufacturing facility vacancy is now at a level not seen in decades, etc.

Bullshit article.
Piles like the OP like to see any demise of American workers to fit the liberal utopian POS, government dependent world.....they don't know how to survive on their own without someone feeding them....
Old 06-23-2019, 11:43 AM
Dr Bee
CF Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

I've seen this bad logic and responded many times but.... eh, one more time can't hurt.

Regarding Trumps frequency and consistency of misleading statements, exaggerations, and lies: "Get off your hypocritical high horse. I've seen you lie on this forum." (courtesy of 69427 and about 187 other regulars... including Gary).

Relatively speaking, the people who post here are irrelevant to national and international policy, diplomacy, governance, legislation, economy, military, etc. As individuals we have no influence, no authority, no ability, and no power to have meaningful influence over any of these things. We also have no responsibility to the electorate and we are not elected public servants.

Comparing some an inconsequential nitwit who told a lie in a car forum to the President of the United States who lies to millions and millions of people---regularly---is illogical and a solid example of abject stupidity.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:44 AM
tikiman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. Obamacare will save the average American household $2,500 a year. Not a smidgeon of corruption.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:46 AM
tikiman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Dr Bee View Post

Comparing some an inconsequential nitwit who told a lie in a car forum to the President of the United States who lies to millions and millions of people---regularly---is illogical and a solid example of abject stupidity.

Is this why you constantly lie about your education and profession?
Old 06-23-2019, 11:46 AM
Dr Bee
CF Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
I don't pay much attention to his tweets and what he says. That's just **** to drive the libs crazy usually.
It's what he does that matters to me and how I'll judge his presidency.
And you are a Trump supporter? Classic
Old 06-23-2019, 11:47 AM
GARYFINN
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by tikiman View Post
Is this why you constantly lie about your education and profession?
This ^^^^^
Old 06-23-2019, 11:48 AM
GARYFINN
CF Senior Member

It seems funny that dr bee still cant name a lie

Last edited by Grumpy; 06-23-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:51 AM
LarsAtTheBeach
CF Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Dude-
you still believe Dr Ford was raped by judge Kavanaugh.
You have ZERO credibility.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trumpís Repeated Falsehood on Auto Plants

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: