Notices
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Why do you embrace religion?

Old 07-02-2019, 02:42 PM
Dr Bee
CF Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

90+% of religious beliefs-----in my best guess----are determined by ethnic geography.

Most religious people will say their version is "the truth" or their god is the "real" one. And if those people were born in Alabama they'd be talking about the Christian god. If they were born in Iran they'd be talking about the Muslim god. In either situation they would be absolutely 1000% convinced their version is true and anyone who disagrees is wrong. It would be kinda funny if it wasn't so sad and disturbing.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:55 PM
desibaba
CF Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Bee View Post
90+% of religious beliefs-----in my best guess----are determined by ethnic geography.

Most religious people will say their version is "the truth" or their god is the "real" one. And if those people were born in Alabama they'd be talking about the Christian god. If they were born in Iran they'd be talking about the Muslim god. In either situation they would be absolutely 1000% convinced their version is true and anyone who disagrees is wrong. It would be kinda funny if it wasn't so sad and disturbing.
If there truly was a god what rock was he/she hiding under when terrible things like the holocaust, 9/11, mass shootings at schools happen. Yes, I know someone will post the "God works in mysterious ways" and "People have free will". The way I look at it is either there is simply no god or if there is one it doesn't give a crap about humanity at all because it could have prevented that from happening. And no there is no reason why a 3 year old kid gets shot and killed by a school shooter and your scumbag god doesn't interject and saves the child so if it does exist f him.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:57 PM
birdsmith
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shane p View Post
Didnt christians kill a whole **** load of innocent people?
To give you an accurate answer, I would need you to clarify two terms...

"**** load"

"Innocent"

Standing by...
Old 07-02-2019, 02:59 PM
Dr Bee
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by desibaba View Post
If there truly was a god what rock was he/she hiding under when terrible things like the holocaust, 9/11, mass shootings at schools happen. Yes, I know someone will post the "God works in mysterious ways" and "People have free will". The way I look at it is either there is simply no god or if there is one it doesn't give a crap about humanity at all because it could have prevented that from happening. And no there is no reason why a 3 year old kid gets shot and killed by a school shooter and your scumbag god doesn't interject and saves the child so if it does exist f him.
Pretty much my take as well. I'm guessing there are no gods (we've invented sooo many) and if god is real... he's a dick.

Last edited by Dr Bee; 07-02-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:02 PM
GreyHawk
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by X-ZZ4 View Post
Religion is good for laying down a basic moral framework for many people.

It's all the supernatural and ceremonial crap as well as some religion's failure to accept basic science that gives it a bad name.
Hmmmm, maybe because science was created by GOD?

Atheist, what is going on in China with the religious groups, what is going on in Venezuela, and Cuba or N. Korea? That crap doesn't fly when one example can be found.

I do agree that religion does lay down a moral framework for a society to function in peace and somewhat harmony, but people sure do have a habit of fubar the whole thing.

See above from DB, don't you just feel the love, understanding and tolerance from the A-Hole.

Last edited by GreyHawk; 07-02-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:07 PM
desibaba
CF Senior Member

Pretty much my take as well. I'm guessing there are no gods (we've invented sooo many) and if god is real... he's a dick.
One thing all these religions have in common is they want to take your money and tell you how to live your life.Ill live my life however I want and Ill keep my cash in my pocket.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:12 PM
Dr Bee
CF Senior Member

Most modern religions are businesses first. They worry about market share, tax breaks, membership numbers, their brand, etc.

In north Texas we have an influx of new churches that have re-branded themselves to attract more customers, err..., members. Instead of the "Methodist Church" or the "First Presbyterian Church" we now have "The Bridge" and "Waters Edge Church" and "Fellowship Church". They also have valet parking, massive audio/visual setups, coffee bars, and ATMs which, of course, would have made Jesus extra proud. I'm guessing membership numbers are trending up, stockholders will be pleased
Old 07-02-2019, 03:13 PM
juanvaldez
CF Senior Member

Received 391 Likes on 291 Posts

It makes failure a virtue and I will live forever!
Old 07-02-2019, 03:14 PM
calwldlife
CF Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 76 Posts

funny ****.
waiting for the next reason religion ruined you lefties lives.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:15 PM
neece
CF Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by brassplyer View Post
Why do you regard religious belief as valid?
Because I am not so arrogant to think that I know everything, that a Big Bang created all the miracles I see everyday. We are all miracles.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:16 PM
Dr Bee
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by calwldlife View Post
funny ****.
waiting for the next reason religion ruined you lefties lives.
That's odd... I never gave it the chance. I've been happily religion-free my entire life
Old 07-02-2019, 03:17 PM
birdsmith
CF Senior Member

This is not an attempt to persuade you. I don't claim to know much about God...

But I would like to offer that we don't get to define who- or what- ever God is. In the scope of the Universe that God made, we (the Earth) are an immeasurable speck, the equivalent of an atomic particle on an object the size of a Boeing 747. The things that seem horrible and gruesome to us might be completely meaningless to the one who created the entire Universe.

And regardless whether you think He's a "dick" or whatever, you're the subject and not the object. You don't get to choose. So you can get all rage-filled like Lieutenant Dan on Forrest's fishing boat in the storm and scream at God (I actually did that one night long ago) or you can just go ahead and resign yourself to the fact that life on this Earth isn't always as pretty as you'd like it to be.

I prefer the latter, and at 61 years of age I'm still not on BP meds...
Old 07-02-2019, 03:18 PM
calwldlife
CF Senior Member

That's odd... I never gave it the chance. I've been happily religion-free my entire life
no true.
according to your position, it has infected you.
shake it off bee. take a shower.
take a nap.
it is ok. no need to state reasons why you don't like it.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:20 PM
Dr Bee
CF Senior Member

no true.
take a nap.
Gimme 10 min, pics to follow
Old 07-02-2019, 03:20 PM
neece
CF Senior Member

no true.
take a nap.
His afterlife will not be a happy one.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:24 PM
desibaba
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by birdsmith View Post
This is not an attempt to persuade you. I don't claim to know much about God...

But I would like to offer that we don't get to define who- or what- ever God is. In the scope of the Universe that God made, we (the Earth) are an immeasurable speck, the equivalent of an atomic particle on an object the size of a Boeing 747. The things that seem horrible and gruesome to us might be completely meaningless to the one who created the entire Universe.

And regardless whether you think He's a "dick" or whatever, you're the subject and not the object. You don't get to choose. So you can get all rage-filled like Lieutenant Dan on Forrest's fishing boat in the storm and scream at God (I actually did that one night long ago) or you can just go ahead and resign yourself to the fact that life on this Earth isn't always as pretty as you'd like it to be.

I prefer the latter, and at 61 years of age I'm still not on BP meds...
Dont forget to give the church 10 percent of your money. I mean you must in order to save your soul and get salvation, right?
Old 07-02-2019, 03:26 PM
neece
CF Senior Member

Dont forget to give the church 10 percent of your money. I mean you must in order to save your soul and get salvation, right?
The Bible requires alms.
calwldlife
CF Senior Member

sounds better than being held at gunpoint and made to give 70% to gov.

why does charitable donations make you mad?
birdsmith
CF Senior Member

To answer your question, no.

Since you ignored my previous reply, I will politely disengage with you at this point.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:35 PM
65Z01
CF Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 145 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Humans have been abusing one another for numerous reasons over recorded history and "belief" was one of the tools used by oppressors along with brute force and terror. Of course religion uses the ultimate in terror to keep its followers in line, i.e. eternal suffering at the hands of their loving god.

Even 400yrs ago the Church was one of the biggest offenders of human dignity, along with Islam and secular dictators.
Even today we are almost daily reminded of the effects of "belief" around the world.
The same "tools" of fear and panic are constantly being used to exert control over the masses by those who seek power even in the secular arena.

Having finally overthrown the shackles of my earlier indoctrination I no longer fear the concept of the end of existence.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do you embrace religion?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: