Notices
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Why do you embrace religion?

Old 07-02-2019, 03:42 PM
maybelooking
CF Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The idea that everything we know just happened by accident makes no sense to me. That is why I believe in a higher power.

I can't see one thing in my daily life that just appeared by accident. The car I drove this morning, the laptop im typing on now, the spoon I ate breakfast with, the tires the car I drove is riding on, the cell phone I use, the TV I watch, every single thing I know had a creator and intelligent designer.

It would make no sense at all to think the universe was any different.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:45 PM
SilverBullitt
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by desibaba View Post
Dont forget to give the church 10 percent of your money. I mean you must in order to save your soul and get salvation, right?
God gives us all freedom to choose to accept Him, or not to. But, you really should study a bit before making false claims and just trying to insult those who believe differently than you.

The Bible says that the ONLY way to salvation is through our acceptance of the sacrificial gift of forgiveness that was provided by Christ's death on the cross. Nothing else is required. And nothing else will suffice.

A person could give billion$ to the church, but still end up spending eternity in hell if they haven't accepted Christ as their Savior. All of us have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God, and nobody will get into heaven based on their own "works" or donations. Jesus is the way, and nobody will get to the Father except through Him.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:51 PM
desibaba
CF Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by calwldlife View Post
sounds better than being held at gunpoint and made to give 70% to gov.

why does charitable donations make you mad?
I pay my taxes so people in the ghetto and live and eat for free
Old 07-02-2019, 03:54 PM
desibaba
CF Senior Member

Here in south florida they have a church for the gays and lesbians so they can also save their souls and get to jesus and salvation. This gay kid at my job goes there every sunday and gives them money.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:56 PM
desibaba
CF Senior Member

My mom loves god and prays multiple times a day. With her ailing health I just ask her what has god done for her lately and I hear crickets.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:56 PM
calwldlife
CF Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 76 Posts

I pay my taxes so people in the ghetto and live and eat for free
not an answer.

you pay because gov makes you pay.
any percent they make law.

tithing is voluntary for the most part.
there are churches that will kick you out but not send you to prison.

your original remark was stupid.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:11 PM
desibaba
CF Senior Member

not an answer.

you pay because gov makes you pay.
any percent they make law.

tithing is voluntary for the most part.
there are churches that will kick you out but not send you to prison.

your original remark was stupid.
And I already give too much in taxes because I get penalized for being single, no dependents and a paid off house. My donations are given directly to friends and family who need them like the $3k I gave a friend who lives paycheck to paycheck to pay for his dadís funeral.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:14 PM
calwldlife
CF Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 76 Posts

And I already give too much in taxes because I get penalized for being single, no dependents and a paid off house. My donations are given directly to friends and family who need them like the $3k I gave a friend who lives paycheck to paycheck to pay for his dadís funeral.
another non answer.
i don't care what you give or why.

taxes = mandatory
tithes= choice
Old 07-02-2019, 04:27 PM
desibaba
CF Senior Member

another non answer.
i don't care what you give or why.

taxes = mandatory
tithes= choice
I choose to keep my tithes to buy cars, watches and guns.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:30 PM
juanvaldez
CF Senior Member

Received 391 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Bee View Post
90+% of religious beliefs-----in my best guess----are determined by ethnic geography.

Most religious people will say their version is "the truth" or their god is the "real" one. And if those people were born in Alabama they'd be talking about the Christian god. If they were born in Iran they'd be talking about the Muslim god. In either situation they would be absolutely 1000% convinced their version is true and anyone who disagrees is wrong. It would be kinda funny if it wasn't so sad and disturbing.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:38 PM
dryadsdad
CF Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm a non-believer but am sure that this nation was a much better and stronger place when all acknowledged we were a Christian nation with certain tenets that everybody held as their moral standards. These are the tenets the leftists have been attacking since the mid-1960s with a great deal of success. There's almost nothing left in a national sense although islands of it exist in certain communities and individuals.

By Christian nation, I don't mean all are forced into daily church services or have behavioral demands put on them. I mean we had a sense of unity and community which is shattered now. I doubt we can ever regain what the ancestors bequeathed to us. By refusing to stand up to the forces of chaos and destruction, all in the name of being open-minded, we've lost the republic.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:41 PM
desibaba
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by dryadsdad View Post
I'm a non-believer but am sure that this nation was a much better and stronger place when all acknowledged we were a Christian nation with certain tenets that everybody held as their moral standards. These are the tenets the leftists have been attacking since the mid-1960s with a great deal of success. There's almost nothing left in a national sense although islands of it exist in certain communities and individuals.

By Christian nation, I don't mean all are forced into daily church services or have behavioral demands put on them. I mean we had a sense of unity and community which is shattered now. I doubt we can ever regain what the ancestors bequeathed to us. By refusing to stand up to the forces of chaos and destruction, all in the name of being open-minded, we've lost the republic.
You can have good morals, do the right thing for your community and be patriotic without labeling it as a Christian/Jewish/Muslim/etc nation.

Last edited by desibaba; 07-02-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:52 PM
dryadsdad
CF Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 75 Posts

You can have good morals, do the right thing for your community and be patriotic without labeling it as a Christian/Jewish/Muslim/etc nation.
You can as a singleton but a nation cannot have national tenets of behavior without. I think you've missed the entire point of my post.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:58 PM
KenHorse
Democrats = Communists
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
Received 1,272 Likes on 808 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

That's me in the corner.......
Old 07-02-2019, 07:07 PM
zachaeous
CF Senior Member

Received 368 Likes on 319 Posts

I have a personal relationship with the God of the Bible. I studied the major religions of the world starting in 1991 and freely came to the conclusion that Christianity was right for me. I do not have any rules that I have to keep for my salvation. I do the things contained in the Bible out of love for my God, Savior and fellow man. I dwell in the Word of God daily and commune with Him without ceasing. I am a repentant sinner saved by His Grace.

True repentance is what is lacking in a lot of false converts in the Church today. They are self-deceived and a product of the "magic prayer" that is used widely in the churches and evangelism. It is this, if you repeat this prayer and then you are now saved from Hell. No true repentance of sin is necessarily involved and leaves one with a false sense of conversion. A personal relationship is what Jesus wants with His children and that relationship is the reason for the true conversion that comes with it. Jesus changed my heart from a heart of stone to a heart of flesh with over flowing love for Him and my fellow man.

I know that a lot of things in the church appear wrong and they are. Not everyone who says Lord, Lord is truly a born again Christian and will end up in a place called Hell unless they repent and begin a personal relationship with Jesus.

Religion is a man made thing and can send one to Hell. I do not consider myself to be "religious". There are many false and self-deceived converts in modern Christian churches as well as those who are pastors and evangelists. The love of money will pervert many and even those who claim Christ.

We live in a fallen world and evil is part of it. We either blame God or something else when tragedy occurs and not the heart of man who perpetrate the evil acts. I wish I could explain why bad things happen. I believe that God is sovereign and knows what He is doing.

I do not force my faith on people and I love my fellow man. I will share my faith and the reason for the hope that I have in me freely out of love. It is each person choice to accept or reject the free gift that comes from the God of the Bible.

If one chooses to live without Jesus that is their free will. If I am right and they are wrong, they will spend eternity separated from God in a place called Hell. If I am wrong I will die and have lived a life that I will have no regrets for.

Have a blessed day
Old 07-02-2019, 07:14 PM
Dr Bee
CF Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by zachaeous View Post
I have a personal relationship with the God of the Bible. I studied the major religions of the world starting in 1991 and freely came to the conclusion that Christianity was right for me. I do not have any rules that I have to keep for my salvation. I do the things contained in the Bible out of love for my God, Savior and fellow man. I dwell in the Word of God daily and commune with Him without ceasing. I am a repentant sinner saved by His Grace.

True repentance is what is lacking in a lot of false converts in the Church today. They are self-deceived and a product of the "magic prayer" that is used widely in the churches and evangelism. It is this, if you repeat this prayer and then you are now saved from Hell. No true repentance of sin is necessarily involved and leaves one with a false sense of conversion. A personal relationship is what Jesus wants with His children and that relationship is the reason for the true conversion that comes with it. Jesus changed my heart from a heart of stone to a heart of flesh with over flowing love for Him and my fellow man.

I know that a lot of things in the church appear wrong and they are. Not everyone who says Lord, Lord is truly a born again Christian and will end up in a place called Hell unless they repent and begin a personal relationship with Jesus.

Religion is a man made thing and can send one to Hell. I do not consider myself to be "religious". There are many false and self-deceived converts in modern Christian churches as well as those who are pastors and evangelists. The love of money will pervert many and even those who claim Christ.

We live in a fallen world and evil is part of it. We either blame God or something else when tragedy occurs and not the heart of man who perpetrate the evil acts. I wish I could explain why bad things happen. I believe that God is sovereign and knows what He is doing.

I do not force my faith on people and I love my fellow man. I will share my faith and the reason for the hope that I have in me freely out of love. It is each person choice to accept or reject the free gift that comes from the God of the Bible.

If one chooses to live without Jesus that is their free will. If I am right and they are wrong, they will spend eternity separated from God in a place called Hell. If I am wrong I will die and have lived a life that I will have no regrets for.

Have a blessed day
Interesting post.

Bolded #1: This is refreshing to hear. Most religious people have these decisions made for them before they head off to kindergarten (and long before they are old enough to process the type of information you studied).

Bolded #2: Don't you find it curious that when something really good happens (people survive a tornado) people rush to credit god and when something really bad happens (people killed in a tornado) people rarely blame god and instead come up with tiresome platitudes like "his ways are mysterious" or "it's not for us to understand" or "the devil did it" or similar?
Old 07-02-2019, 07:26 PM
30YR W8T
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." Calvin Coolidge
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As others have already stated, a persons religious belief is a personal thing between them and who they view as their maker.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:28 PM
Dr Bee
CF Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 30YR W8T View Post
As others have already stated, a persons religious belief is a personal thing between them and who they view as their maker.
Unless they are asked on a discussion forum and choose to share with the other members. Deep breaths lil fella
Old 07-02-2019, 07:46 PM
desibaba
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by zachaeous View Post

Have a blessed day
I deeply respect the fact that you studied the major religions and made a choice. Most humans are born in one and follow it their entire lives because mommy and daddy said so. Those I feel sorry for.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:52 PM
KenHorse
Democrats = Communists
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
Received 1,272 Likes on 808 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

That's me in the spotlight...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do you embrace religion?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: