Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page >

With A Growing Membership Since Trump, Black Gun Group Considers Getting Political

Notices
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

With A Growing Membership Since Trump, Black Gun Group Considers Getting Political

Old 07-10-2019, 09:00 PM
BenThere
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69L46 View Post
"The goal of the National African American Gun Association is to introduce black Americans to guns and also instruct them on how to use them."

Then why not just a gun ownership group? What does the racial aspect have to do with it?
From the article:
.......but for Smith, "My job, and it's a very long-term wish, is to change that socialization process where [when] people see a black guy or a black woman walking with a gun, they won't automatically say, 'He or she is a thug' or 'He or she is doing something illegal.' "
"One of the main things we're trying to do is change the perspective of black gun ownership into a positive mindset," Casandra Light says.
Some see the group as an alternative to the National Rifle Association for black gun owners, but it has some notable differences. Organizers say it is a civil rights organization that aims to build community and promote self-protection.
I think they're trying to build a visible community of blacks that promote responsible gun ownership that demonstrates the stereotype of a black with a gun is doing something bad while at the same time trains and promotes responsible self defense. The racial emphasis attracts, and subsequently influences, some folks that might not feel comfortable joining a typical organization.

Dunno, but if they're as above board as they appear to be in this article, if they're really promoting, training and role-modeling responsible gun ownership, it's probably a good thing. If they go all political and Black Lives Matter radical, it will fail to accomplish what they seem to intend.

Last edited by BenThere; 07-10-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:34 PM
69L46
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-19

Originally Posted by BenThere View Post
From the article:

I think they're trying to build a visible community of blacks that promote responsible gun ownership that demonstrates the stereotype of a black with a gun is doing something bad while at the same time trains and promotes responsible self defense. The racial emphasis attracts, and subsequently influences, some folks that might not feel comfortable joining a typical organization.

Dunno, but if they're as above board as they appear to be in this article, if they're really promoting, training and role-modeling responsible gun ownership, it's probably a good thing. If they go all political and Black Lives Matter radical, it will fail to accomplish what they seem to intend.

Perhaps, but it would seem to be unintentionally highlighting the very image they're trying to counter.

I get the logic behind the 'black<insert your area of interest here>groups', but for gun ownership color shouldn't really be a factor. The protections afforded c/o of the 2nd Amendment and being a law abiding citizen should simply be enough without inferring yet another area of divisiveness in our society. I know there are also various 'Pink Pistols' groups which have formed that cater to gay gun owners, although that focus would seem to be sending a message about harassment first.

But if promotes a responsible and positive view of gun ownership, so much the better.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:48 PM
H P Bushrod

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

"The goal of the National African American Gun Association is to introduce black Americans to guns and also instruct them on how to use them."

Then why not just a gun ownership group? What does the racial aspect have to do with it?
Originally Posted by 67tripwr View Post
Yup, why does always have to be this separatist bull ****

GOA Represents "all" law abiding gun owners already
I'm not too comfortable with the name of the group also (Seems exclusionary IMO). I've been shooting for close to 40 years now and have always felt welcome in any shooting events/ranges I've visited or participated in (race irrelevant).
Old 07-11-2019, 02:00 AM
URUSAINA
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by H P Bushrod View Post
I'm not too comfortable with the name of the group also (Seems exclusionary IMO). I've been shooting for close to 40 years now and have always felt welcome in any shooting events/ranges I've visited or participated in (race irrelevant).

Long time..but you have to admit all them NAAGA's eating good....................

Last edited by URUSAINA; 07-11-2019 at 02:00 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:50 AM
tnvette2
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by GhostTX View Post
Good for them.

And as they become more familiar with the 2A, they'll become more conservative.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:54 AM
grandpawmoses
CF Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts

The 4 out of 10 sounds too low.
But then I'm from Alabama.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:58 AM
2500 hd
CF Senior Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor 18-'19

Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
The race thing was my 1st thought too.

Do they hate Whitey?

If there was a whites only gun group, there'd be a major shitstorm about it.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:44 AM
6spdC6
CF Senior Member

Location: A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake in the "Peoples Republic" of upper NY state http://www.visitsacandaga.com/
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Because that is the way things are done. You got to include the media in that also. Getting real tired of hearing/seeing he/she is the first black elected to, He/she is the first black chief of police, he/she is the first black to run this type of company and many more bullshit items like that.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:47 AM
6spdC6
CF Senior Member

Location: A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake in the "Peoples Republic" of upper NY state http://www.visitsacandaga.com/

I'm a member of two gun clubs and we have black members.Its no big deal, they come, they shoot they leave, same as the other members. No problems!
Old 07-11-2019, 02:51 PM
Torqaholic
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I'm not worried about other people owning guns as long as they practice safe handling. Stumbled across an old brown guy camping/hunting in the woods once. Chatted with him for a while. No different than talking with any other hunter I meet in the woods. Just the usual "Whatcha huntin? Get any? Come out often? Where ya from?".

Met a couple of nice college kids at the range once. They also happened to be brown and each was shooting pistol. I waited until they stopped shooting to reload their magazines same as I would for anyone else and then opened up with the AR two lanes over. It obviously freaked them out as they set their gear down and backed away from the line so I stopped shooting and asked if everything was alright. They'd never been around a rifle before, the noise and fireball scared them. I explained how it's not as bad when you're the one pulling the trigger and taught them how to handle and shoot a rifle. Let them each fire off 10 rounds and they performed well. The one guy was bit quiet but the other loved it. Said "I know what I'm getting me next Christmas"
Old 07-11-2019, 11:36 PM
CRUSHAH
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Apparently, many here don't know the history of blacks and warfare in this country.. and abroad.
Then again, many don't know any history except what comes from their Mainstream
public education system lol.

Hard to count how many times in history that Black regiments had to save
their so-called "superior" comrades.

Last edited by CRUSHAH; 07-11-2019 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:42 AM
BenThere
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by CRUSHAH View Post
Apparently, many here don't know the history of blacks and warfare in this country.. and abroad.

What, specifically, in this thread, makes that "apparent"?
Old 07-12-2019, 03:57 PM
H P Bushrod

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Old 07-12-2019, 04:00 PM
Torqaholic
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by CRUSHAH View Post

Never been in battle but have been saved by a non-whites a few times.
Not as many times I've saved others but I greatly appreciate it none the less.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:52 PM
CRUSHAH
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From some of the responses, it was clear that there are some who don't seem to think that blacks
and firearms go together or that blacks aren't familiar with the safe and effective usage of firearms.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:11 AM
4cefed
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Torqaholic View Post
Some anonymous person calls and asks if you own a gun?
It's a question that only an idiot would answer. The real percentage is closer to twice that.
I was thinking the same thing.......
Old 07-13-2019, 09:07 AM
krackenvette
CF Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

Some people feel more comfortable being within their race. Whats hard to understand?
Old 07-13-2019, 09:29 AM
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member

Received 154 Likes on 136 Posts

Yeah, I have a problem with that and can see it being a focal point in the future. No need
Old 07-13-2019, 09:36 AM
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member

Received 154 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by krackenvette View Post
Some people feel more comfortable being within their race. Whats hard to understand?
Got that but it a li so promotes separatism and exclusion. Which way are we going, forward or backward?
Old 07-13-2019, 10:49 AM
6spdC6
CF Senior Member

Like I said in my post 29 we have a few black members at the two clubs I shoot at. Its no big deal, the biggest problem with people at a gun club is SAFETY, your safe, follow the rules, color, race or other things make no difference.

I shot pistol with them and in fact helped help one out. (something I'm glad to do) Even let him try out a old fashioned revolver . He seemed to like it as it was quite different from his Tupperware 9mm..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: With A Growing Membership Since Trump, Black Gun Group Considers Getting Political

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: