Notices
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Would you speak your mind to a Cop?

Old 07-10-2019, 06:11 PM
steve_n_houston
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BadUmp View Post
oh stop being a whiney little brat, you know darn well that it all comes down to who started being the *** first . . .
So if the LEO is being an *** first, he won't write any tickets?
Old 07-10-2019, 06:16 PM
BadUmp
CF Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06 View Post
In the video, you can clearly see no one in the left lane. I merged into the left lane after the center of the intersectionat which point there is no left turn lane which technically according to the state of Texas and at the intersection stripe the runs perpendicular to the street designating the start of the intersection and the end of the turn lane.
I would have had to be in that actual Left Lane and go straight for his ticket to be valid. the DA conceded that also. They also then tried to change the ticket to changing lanes in an intersection however that's not illegal in the state of Texas.

Also, the officers original claim and notation on the ticket was that I was in the left lane start to finish
YUP, that's BS ! Now, I'm curious as to what that speed zone is at the end of the video. I only ask because, and this is just a guess again, I might suspect that the way you started that move this officer may have jumped the gun thinking you were really going to let the ponies stretch their legs. There's no shame in an officers just saying, "I thought you made your lane change a bit early back there" and leave it at that. You have a cordial conversation and part ways. Try to make an ally, not an enemy . . .

*** going back to, "got a letter dismissing the ticket due to "lack of evidence and/or officer no longer with the dept" " submitting that document with what appear to be fraudulent notations to the court is a serious fk'n deal. Which probably accounts for the officer no longer with the department. . . .

Last edited by BadUmp; 07-10-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:18 PM
KenHorse
Democrats = Communists
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
Received 1,273 Likes on 808 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by steve_n_houston View Post
Maybe. But if the stopped person is also an *******, a ticket (if not more) is guaranteed
Old 07-10-2019, 06:20 PM
BadUmp
CF Senior Member

I'm sensing that you and this officer might know each other, like on a first name basis . . .
Old 07-10-2019, 06:22 PM
89L98
CF Senior Member

Received 240 Likes on 130 Posts

About two weeks ago I was driving my '12 ZR1. I was approaching a yellow light. I got a little too aggressive with the go pedal. The light turned red as I went thru the intersection. There were no other cars around. A lurking cop pulled me over. it was close but I think I was in the wrong. He approached me and told me I ran a red light. I didn t argue and was calm. He checked my driving record and saw no tickets. So, he said he would cut me a break. He gave me a non moving violation. it was impeding the flow of traffic, just a fine. LMFAO. He was OK. Before he departed we shook hands. I am 72. He said to me to be careful because "these cars are very fast, sir".

Last edited by 89L98; 07-10-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:27 PM
Tri-Tip
CF Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D. View Post
I'm a 61 year old white guy who other than a couple speeding tickets have had zero contact with law enforcement. I really don't understand why it's so hard for people to just not put themselves in that situation.
Other than you having a few years on me, I have had the same lack of experience in this area. The two times I have been pulled over, I've received the ticket, and can't say in any way that I didn't deserve it. I was polite, officer was professional and polite, and there were no issues.

Just yesterday, as I was driving to a client's office, I saw someone get pulled over and was wondering what goes through the officers mind as he walks up to the car, not knowing if it's going to be a calm conversation or if he's going to be looking down the barrel of a gun.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:28 PM
Over9K
CF Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I've found that, even when my judgement of what is or is not an appropriate interpretation of the law differs from whatever officer I'm speaking to, I can usually find a way to articulate the perfectly rational reasoning for my choice in judgement with clarity and logic. So far, my worst citation after a traffic stop has been the accusation that if I were any more full of ****, I'd need to be licensed for biohazard transport.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:32 PM
HooosierDaddy
CF Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
Man, guess I lived a charmed life 'cause I have NEVER experienced an overzealous (i.e. "*******") cop during a traffic stop. Then again, I've never acted like an ******* during one either. Go figure

I just gotta laugh when I see a video - or LivePD - where a driver who's been pulled over is absolutely belligerent or not following instructions or is argumentative, etc. My favorites are the ****-for-brains who claim sovereignty and therefore not subject to US law

Be cool and they will reciprocate.

My wife has come into that time in her life that opinions flow more than... well you know. She got pulled over not too long ago and the opinion was in full flow. I wish there was footage of it. I guess she made a point of why she was stopped for going 21 over the limit & with the flow of traffic and nobody else was and blah, blah, blah. Would have made awesome Youtube click bait video I'm sure! Obviously she did not get a warning, but she was able to get on a deferral program.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:37 PM
BOTYNV1
CF Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
never volunteer information.

Correct, that advice serves one well in many situations.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:38 PM
claysmoker
CF Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

I did when I was a kid 50+ years ago, but I wised up. That said, I have never been pulled over without a reason, and the tickets I received were legit in every case.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:39 PM
BadUmp
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy View Post

Be cool and they will reciprocate.

My wife has come into that time in her life that opinions flow more than... well you know. She got pulled over not too long ago and the opinion was in full flow. I wish there was footage of it. I guess she made a point of why she was stopped for going 21 over the limit & with the flow of traffic and nobody else was and blah, blah, blah. Would have made awesome Youtube click bait video I'm sure! Obviously she did not get a warning, but she was able to get on a deferral program.
as a LEO if you encounter a woman like this and she seems to stop talking NEVER ask her if she's done now. Well, unless you really like watching fireworks up close . . .
steve_n_houston
CF Senior Member

I'm sensing that you and this officer might know each other, like on a first name basis . . .
Which officer would that be?

Haven't had a ticket in decades, btw.
steve_n_houston
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
Maybe. But if the stopped person is also an *******, a ticket (if not more) is guaranteed
No doubt, but that makes my point.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:44 PM
Torqaholic
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Speak my mind? As in argue??? For what? To win a gold star or something?

I don't argue with anyone. I treat everybody the same until they give me reason not to, at which point it's too late for words.
If being on this forum has taught us anything it should be that trying to change another persons belief is futile.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:46 PM
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member

Received 154 Likes on 136 Posts

YUP, that's BS ! Now, I'm curious as to what that speed zone is at the end of the video. I only ask because, and this is just a guess again, I might suspect that the way you started that move this officer may have jumped the gun thinking you were really going to let the ponies stretch their legs. There's no shame in an officers just saying, "I thought you made your lane change a bit early back there" and leave it at that. You have a cordial conversation and part ways. Try to make an ally, not an enemy . . .

*** going back to, "got a letter dismissing the ticket due to "lack of evidence and/or officer no longer with the dept" " submitting that document with what appear to be fraudulent notations to the court is a serious fk'n deal. Which probably accounts for the officer no longer with the department. . . .
Its the tollway access road, 55 or 65 mph I believe.
I don't mind a ticket for something I did, hate that I got caught doing it but I don't get mad. I do get mad when I'm ticketed for something I didn't do or the officer lies; I just happen to still have my camera in the car from being at the track that day.
Now I don't drive without it, otherwise I'd have had to pay a $225 ticket for something I didn't do.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:48 PM
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member

Received 154 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by 89L98 View Post
About two weeks ago I was driving my '12 ZR1. I was approaching a yellow light. I got a little too aggressive with the go pedal. The light turned red as I went thru the intersection. There were no other cars around. A lurking cop pulled me over. it was close but I think I was in the wrong. He approached me and told me I ran a red light. I didn t argue and was calm. He checked my driving record and saw no tickets. So, he said he would cut me a break. He gave me a non moving violation. it was impeding the flow of traffic, just a fine. LMFAO. He was OK. Before he departed we shook hands. I am 72. He said to me to be careful because "these cars are very fast, sir".
In Texas, if you cross the intersection stripe or enter the intersection under yellow, you're good, even if it turns red and you're still in the intersection.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:52 PM
BadUmp
CF Senior Member

Which officer would that be?

Haven't had a ticket in decades, btw.
well now, I guess you shouldn't suffer any sleepless night over receiving a litany of tickets anytime soon. Should you . . .
Old 07-10-2019, 07:00 PM
BadUmp
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06 View Post
Its the tollway access road, 55 or 65 mph I believe.
I don't mind a ticket for something I did, hate that I got caught doing it but I don't get mad. I do get mad when I'm ticketed for something I didn't do or the officer lies; I just happen to still have my camera in the car from being at the track that day.
Now I don't drive without it, otherwise I'd have had to pay a $225 ticket for something I didn't do.

I commend you for fighting this summons. Hopefully the officer didn't get to just move on to another unsuspecting department. What too many people forget is that by losing control of ones emotions at times like this they fail to make accurate notes of what really happened. Being able to stay composed and do as you did I dare say blindsided this officer, with dire consequences . . .
Old 07-10-2019, 07:01 PM
KenHorse
Democrats = Communists
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
Received 1,273 Likes on 808 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

No doubt, but that makes my point.
Double edged sword.

The same discretion that cuts you slack also means you reap what you sow
Old 07-10-2019, 07:08 PM
tiojames
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
The only thing I've told the police on the rare occasion that I'm stopped is that I have a CCW (which they prob already know). I put my hands on the steering wheel and if its at night I turn on the interior lights...

Making them feel safe goes a long way - beyond that its best to keep quiet..

Same as I do, and I roll all the windows down on the vehicle so they have full view of the interior.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you speak your mind to a Cop?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: