Notices
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Would you speak your mind to a Cop?

Old 07-12-2019, 10:58 AM
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member

Received 154 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh View Post
Correct.

Illegal early move. Saw a person in Burlington, NJ get yanked over for that exact move last week. Unfortunately for them a LEO was about to occupy the space they made the early move into.
Wrong, check your state's laws. The only state that I found that has this statute is Ohio, Texas does NOT. If you can safely change lanes in an intersection, you're free to do so, DA even stated that. Many people erroneously believe that to be the law but it's an urban myth.

In your case, that was failure to yield RoW. There was no one in the lane to the left of me and the original ticket stated that I began from that lane which was a lie.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:59 AM
BadUmp
CF Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972 View Post
Even if the red car was above the speed limit (whatever that may be) he isn't the cause of the accident. At worst, he's due a speeding ticket. Instead he got arrested by the cop who caused the accident. Which is the point of the video - exposing the malfeasance of the cop.
you really are an idiot, go look up the legal term "comparative negligence". If that video is submitted to the insurance company as evidence the driver of the red car will most likely have their claim greatly reduced due to the drivers speeding. That speed could easily be determined by any competent accident reconstruction expert after reviewing that video and going back to that location and performing calculations. Just from watching that video my old eyes say that the red car was going about 65 mph, and I'd bet that many could get their observations to hold up in court . . .

Last edited by BadUmp; 07-12-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:01 AM
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
Don't see a stop sign for the cop nor for the van traveling from the right

I see the back of the stop sign for the jeep but that red car was hauling some serious *** for a residential street
Old 07-12-2019, 11:02 AM
HooosierDaddy
CF Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts

Because those professions don't lock people up, charge them with crimes or murder them.
REALLY??? What about doctors MURDERING babies still in the womb? What about attorneys and judges that wrongly convict someone to death? what about accountants/financial advisers that take someones life savings and because theyíve been destroyed they off themselves? What about bullies that push someone to suicide? Should we continue?

And before you say it, the judge and attorney can only work with what police work/evidence they have. I get that, but you CAN NOT deny that it hasnít happened.. intentionally and unintentionally
Old 07-12-2019, 11:02 AM
BadUmp
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
Missing from the story is if the LEO was in the middle of an official response.....
even with lights and siren an officer has the obligation to insure that they can safely go through an intersection. Absent lights and siren you damn sure better know you can go thorough safely . . .
Old 07-12-2019, 11:05 AM
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member

Even if the red car was above the speed limit (whatever that may be) he isn't the cause of the accident. At worst, he's due a speeding ticket. Instead he got arrested by the cop who caused the accident. Which is the point of the video - exposing the malfeasance of the cop.
He was a contributing factor, the Jeep definitely blew the stop sign and ultimately is the cause but had the red car not been going as fast as he was, he may have missed the Jeep. Jeep was definitely at fault though
Old 07-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BadUmp View Post
even with lights and siren an officer has the obligation to insure that they can safely go through an intersection. Absent lights and siren you damn sure better know you can go thorough safely . . .
Looks like he just flat missed the stop sign to me, I didn't see any urgency in his driving
Old 07-12-2019, 11:08 AM
BadUmp
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy View Post
REALLY??? What about doctors MURDERING babies still in the womb? What about attorneys and judges that wrongly convict someone to death? what about accountants/financial advisers that take someones life savings and because they’ve been destroyed they off themselves? What about bullies that push someone to suicide? Should we continue?

And before you say it, the judge and attorney can only work with what police work/evidence they have. I get that, but you CAN NOT deny that it hasn’t happened.. intentionally and unintentionally
you had to notice that pdiddly never answered my question about why he has made it his mission to bring forth all these atrocities by LEO's What interaction he has had with police that causes him to harbor this burning passion to bring forth time and again current and ages old events involving LEO's. I highly doubt he will ever address that question, I wonder why .. .

HEY, PIDDLY, WERE'D YOU GO. AGAIN? YOU COWARD, answer that question . . .

Last edited by BadUmp; 07-12-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:09 AM
HooosierDaddy
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06 View Post
Looks like he just flat missed the stop sign to me, I didn't see any urgency in his driving
Thereís a reason itís called a Michigan stop!
Old 07-12-2019, 12:18 PM
Racingswh
CF Senior Member

Received 245 Likes on 192 Posts

Wrong, check your state's laws. The only state that I found that has this statute is Ohio, Texas does NOT. If you can safely change lanes in an intersection, you're free to do so, DA even stated that. Many people erroneously believe that to be the law but it's an urban myth.

In your case, that was failure to yield RoW. There was no one in the lane to the left of me and the original ticket stated that I began from that lane which was a lie.
What also made their move different than yours was they made the move before the lined lane ended before entering the intersection if that makes sense. They started their move to beat the cars at the light through the intersection and the LEO had literally just started to pull into the turn lane. I was watching from the right lane.

Your move still looks illegal to me on your video. The overhead directional signage clearly shows you must turn left and you are in the left turn lane before the intersection ends. Just a guess but you probably made that move without signaling as well?

Right or wrong the Burlington, NJ LEO's would have yanked you over for what you did for sure with signage like that and with any attitude would have had you out of the car. LOL!! I would have waited til I cleared the intersection to make that move to the left lane and clearly signaled my intent before I did it. That way I would have greatly reduced the risk of any interaction with the Police in the first place. Stuff like this always seems like common sense to me.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:55 PM
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member

What also made their move different than yours was they made the move before the lined lane ended before entering the intersection if that makes sense. They started their move to beat the cars at the light through the intersection and the LEO had literally just started to pull into the turn lane. I was watching from the right lane.

Your move still looks illegal to me on your video. The overhead directional signage clearly shows you must turn left and you are in the left turn lane before the intersection ends. Just a guess but you probably made that move without signaling as well?

Right or wrong the Burlington, NJ LEO's would have yanked you over for what you did for sure with signage like that and with any attitude would have had you out of the car. LOL!! I would have waited til I cleared the intersection to make that move to the left lane and clearly signaled my intent before I did it. That way I would have greatly reduced the risk of any interaction with the Police in the first place. Stuff like this always seems like common sense to me.
I'm in the #1 of 2 straight only lanes. Didn't cross over until I was across the intersection or past where the left turn only traffic would have turned, used signal too, habit.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:01 PM
Racingswh
CF Senior Member

Received 245 Likes on 192 Posts

I'm in the #1 of 2 straight only lanes. Didn't cross over until I was across the intersection or past where the left turn only traffic would have turned, used signal too, habit.
As I see it from the video it looks to me like your car has committed to the left turn lane before the intersection ends obligating you to make the left as defined clearly by the overhead directional signage in your video. If you signaled to turn left where you moved your car left had I been behind you in the straight lane I would have assumed you were turning left at the intersection or disobeying the overhead traffic sign and illegally going straight. I am betting police interaction could have been avoided altogether had you waited til the lines defining the left lane began, then signaled and moved to the left lane.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:33 PM
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member

As I see it from the video it looks to me like your car has committed to the left turn lane before the intersection ends obligating you to make the left as defined clearly by the overhead directional signage in your video. If you signaled to turn left where you moved your car left had I been behind you in the straight lane I would have assumed you were turning left at the intersection or disobeying the overhead traffic sign and illegally going straight. I am betting police interaction could have been avoided altogether had you waited til the lines defining the left lane began, then signaled and moved to the left lane.

The officer knew what I was doing, he wrote the ticket stating that I was in the left turn lane the entirety of the event.
That overhead signage is relevant to traffic in that lane and after the median (in TX) it's just another lane.
Also, as another DA (friend) explained it to me, you have to be in that lane prior to the intersection strip, I was not.

Bottom line is that the officer lied 3 times, 1st in stating in his sworn testimony (ticket) that I started in the left lane.
2nd that he had me on video and 3rd that I disregarded a traffic control device.

My video proved all 3 incorrect and his evidence magically dissapeared.
Whether or not I should have waited until completely across the intersection is debatable it's but legal in TX.
He SHOULD NOT have lied claiming I was in the left turn prior to the intersection.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:38 PM
pdiddy972
CF Senior Member

Received 383 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by BadUmp View Post
you had to notice that pdiddly never answered my question about why he has made it his mission to bring forth all these atrocities by LEO's What interaction he has had with police that causes him to harbor this burning passion to bring forth time and again current and ages old events involving LEO's. I highly doubt he will ever address that question, I wonder why .. .

HEY, PIDDLY, WERE'D YOU GO. AGAIN? YOU COWARD, answer that question . . .
No encounter that caused it. I just have a mistrust of people with middling qualifications violating people's rights, stealing their property, shooting them without need, and lying about events to get others in trouble. Call me crazy...
Old 07-12-2019, 02:40 PM
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member

As I see it from the video it looks to me like your car has committed to the left turn lane before the intersection ends obligating you to make the left as defined clearly by the overhead directional signage

Past the median and end of turn lane

Old 07-12-2019, 04:14 PM
HooosierDaddy
CF Senior Member

Call me crazy...
Old 07-12-2019, 04:20 PM
virtue4u
CF Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1 View Post
Based on the other threads....

I dare you....

All feel free to reply. I can't wait to hear about / from all the great listeners I mean cops out there.
This is an idiot thread.
Sometimes I don't even speak my mind to my spouse or a superior.

It is called diplomacy and negotiations.

Some people claim they are so nuanced.
Then, I see such elementary threads like this.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:26 PM
pologreen1
CF Senior Member

Received 226 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by virtue4u View Post
This is an idiot thread.
Sometimes I don't even speak my mind to my spouse or a superior.

It is called diplomacy and negotiations.

Some people claim they are so nuanced.
Then, I see such elementary threads like this.
Hmm, I don't understand your commentary. Please SPEAK WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND!
Old 07-12-2019, 04:31 PM
avalonjohn
CF Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

No encounter that caused it. I just have a mistrust of people with middling qualifications violating people's rights, stealing their property, shooting them without need, and lying about events to get others in trouble. Call me crazy...
What do you do for a living? ( I know you will not answer for reasons we know, which is fear). I personally know numerous LEOs with Masters Degrees and PhDs ( from real Universities) as well as many JDs. What are the qualifications of a cop? Many I know ( prob more than half) are Veterans as well. Many still serve in the Reserves and have multiple combat tours under their belts. Heck one LEO here on the Forum also flies F/A-18s. Do you feel they are somehow beneath you? Do you want a US with no law enforcement? What is your solution to your ( made-up fantasy) epidedemic of rogue dishonest cops? If you explained your profession it may give us who disagree some perspective.

Last edited by avalonjohn; 07-12-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:22 PM
BadUmp
CF Senior Member

hmmm, okay, I'll take you at your word (for the moment). But, aren't you being just a tad-bit myopic in light of these stat's: police 1,000 deaths per year / dr's 250,000. You are 250x's more likely to die at the hands of a Dr than a LEO; but. apparently that is of little or no significance to you. Don't we put our life and trust in both these professionals . . .

Last edited by BadUmp; 07-12-2019 at 06:29 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you speak your mind to a Cop?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: