Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page >

Confederate Railroad Cancellation a “Teachable Moment”?

Notices
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Old 07-11-2019, 06:16 AM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Confederate Railroad Cancellation a “Teachable Moment”?

Posted at 8:00 pm on July 10, 2019 by Susie Moore

In this July 29, 2018, photo, Illinois Democratic governor candidate J.B. Pritzker talks with supporters in Geneva, Ill. New Illinois campaign reports show that Pritzker has pumped $146.5 million of his own money into his bid to unseat Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner. (AP Photo/Teresa Crawford)

The Du Quoin State Fair is set to begin August 23rd in Du Quoin, Illinois. It’s an 11-day event complete with “rides, food, grandstand shows, free entertainment, harness races, motorsports, half-mile track, twilight parade, horse shows, livestock, cooking competitions, karaoke contest, home show events, and so much more….”

The Fair also features musical acts including, up until several days ago, the band “Confederate Railroad.” The country rock band was founded in 1987 in Marietta, GA, and has been associated with such notables as George Jones, Charlie Daniels, and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Now, however, the band has been disinvited from the Fair. Per Yahoo:
Country rock band Confederate Railroad confirmed that it was dropped from the lineup at the Du Quoin State Fair in Illinois because of its name.
The group’s founder and frontman Danny Shirley wrote in a statement on the band’s website on Tuesday that the Illinois Department of Agriculture’s decision was “very disappointing as we have played this fair before and enjoyed it very much.”
Following the cancellation, the Illinois Department of Agriculture released a statement:
“While every artist has a right to expression, we believe this decision is in the best interest of serving all the people of our state.”
Initially, though, the Department declined to confirm it was due to the band’s name. Then things got really interesting. As reported by CBS affiliate KFVS12, Illinois State Representative Terri Bryant detailed her efforts to investigate the cancellation on Facebook:

Bryant for Illinois
I have been trying to sort truth from fiction in the issue of entertainment decisions at our two State Fairs. I know people are polarized on the issue, but it is always important to get facts. While in Chicago today to attend a hearing I was able to secure a meeting with two high-ranking members of Gov. Pritzker’s Exec. Staff.

I also asked Rep. Tim Butler to join us as he represents the State fairgrounds in Springfield.

The meeting was multi-fold. I wanted to identify for my...

In the post, Bryant describes her meeting with “two high-ranking members of [Illinois Governor J.B.] Pritzker’s Exec. Staff.” Per Bryant:
I was informed in no uncertain terms, that the decision to cancel CR was made by the Pritzker administration, including the two people sitting with me at the table.

….

They refused my insistence that Confederate Railroad be permitted to perform. Their reasoning was that they have a hard fast rule not to permit any use of the Confederate flag in any way. When I asked what their policy was pertaining to a sitting President being depicted in the way President Trump is depicted on Snoop Dogg’s album cover, they said, they had no such policy.

In fact, I was told by one of the Governor’s staffers that I should use this case as a “teachable moment” for the people of Southern Illinois. I am serious…that is what the staffer said.
In short, the Pritzker administration canceled Confederate Railroad because the Confederate flag offends many people.

They refused to cancel Snoop Dogg even though it offends many people. I believe in very limited government censorship. I believe even less in double standards.
If you’re like me, this sentence made you do a double-take: “I was told by one of the Governor’s staffers that I should use this case as a “teachable moment” for the people of Southern Illinois.” I wrote about the divide between Illinois’ power centers and downstate last fall. Since that time, Pritzker was elected Governor and has signed into law a series of measures that can fairly be described as progressive (and not in line with the sensibilities of many downstate residents), including a significant gas tax hike (doubled) and broad abortion protections, among others. There have been increasing rumblings, in fact, of a separation between red and blue Illinois:
There’s a civil war of sorts under way in Illinois – pitting Chicago against much of the rest of the state. This dispute is one of politics and policy and it has even led to a resolution being filed by a group of Republicans that would split Illinois into two separate states.
While this prospect may not be reaching critical mass anytime soon, my guess is referring to this decision — which one might reasonably debate — as a “teachable moment” for “the people of Southern Illinois” isn’t likely to help in that regard. All it does is further serve to highlight the attitudinal divide.

Condescension really isn’t a pretty look. Neither is viewpoint discrimination.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:27 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 20 Posts

They should change their name to "Nanny State" and they could become the official band of Illinois.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:36 AM
Roothog69
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Censorship, it's what fascists do.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:37 AM
owebo
CF Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Originally Posted by Roothog69 View Post
Democrats are so proud of themselves as they progress their **** vision upon America....
Old 07-11-2019, 06:43 AM
Patsgarage
CF Senior Member

Received 419 Likes on 352 Posts

I'm sure if NWA wanted to play at the fair it would have been perfectly acceptable.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:17 AM
doorgunner
Doorgunner's '68 Project
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 868 Likes on 774 Posts

On a similar note: When is the Left going to rename one of the main boulevards in the D.C. area? (Soon, per the web)

I was vastly offended by having to drive on JEFFERSON DAVIS BLVD.....sarcasm, again.

By the way, according to Encyclopedia Virginia Democrats controlled their legislature when the blvd, was named in 1922.

Since Pres. Lincoln held no animosity against Confederate Soldiers when he gave his speech at Gettysburg, why the double standard now (rhetorical)
Old 07-11-2019, 07:20 AM
69L46
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-‘19

Asinine.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:30 AM
nitronick
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Feel good about the fact that this act of stupidity will cost them. Most acts require a 50% deposit close to the time of signing the contract. The band already has that, but I wouldn't doubt they get their entire fee. Those booking agencies have law firms dedicated to dealing with ******** that try to stiff them.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:58 AM
RedLS1GTO
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This country has absolutely lost it's ******* mind.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:04 AM
tiojames
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post

Our great country hasn't, but the scum bag Dems certainly have lost what little sense they ever had.
Dems should be ashamed to call themselves Americans.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:05 AM
Ret.NavyGTO
CF Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post

Old 07-11-2019, 10:10 AM
biackbenz
CF Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I was vastly offended by having to drive on JEFFERSON DAVIS BLVD.....sarcasm, again.

Are they going to change the name to DAVIS blvd?
Old 07-11-2019, 10:53 AM
68/70Vette
CF Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by biackbenz View Post

Are they going to change the name to DAVIS blvd?
Angela Davis Boulevard
Old 07-11-2019, 10:56 AM
'Shifter
U*S*A-Love It or Leave It
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 239 Likes on 202 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by Patsgarage View Post
I'm sure if NWA wanted to play at the fair it would have been perfectly acceptable.
Ya, well, that's different.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:04 AM
67tripwr
CF Senior Member

Location: Bringing The Liberal Hypocrisy To Light, Tolerance Has Become Intolerable
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This reminded me of oh about twenty years ago, when a cover band playing Skynyrd in Delray Beach Florida...
They had a Confederate flag as their backdrop, and somebody complained. They had to shut down the concert until they removed it.

This pc ******* bullshit has been going on for far too long
Old 07-11-2019, 11:05 AM
RandolphB
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette View Post
Angela Davis Boulevard

That IS offensive......
Old 07-11-2019, 11:26 AM
Cygnus
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Roothog69 View Post
It's the first thing that they do and it only gets worse from there.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:34 AM
bruiser
CF Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I could never live there
Old 07-11-2019, 11:36 AM
MagRedConv
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

Hope a **** load of "those that would be offended" show up and trash the place.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:40 AM
GhostTX
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MagRedConv View Post
Hope a **** load of "those that would be offended" show up and trash the place.
I hope those that would not be offended don't show and let the fair be a bust.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Confederate Railroad Cancellation a “Teachable Moment”?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: