Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page >

Trump Expected to Sign Executive Action Regarding Census Citizenship Question

Notices
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Trump Expected to Sign Executive Action Regarding Census Citizenship Question

Old 07-11-2019, 12:53 PM
69L46
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-‘19
Default Trump Expected to Sign Executive Action Regarding Census Citizenship Question

Guess we know what Barr was teeing up.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-t...on-11562845502
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WASHINGTON—President Trump is expected to sign an executive action regarding a citizenship question on the 2020 U.S. census, according to administration officials, a move that could prompt immediate challenges in court.

The president is expected to lay out his plan in a news conference in the White House Rose Garden Thursday afternoon.

The Trump administration has been considering several options to add such a question to the census in the wake of a Supreme Court decision that stymied its push to do so. Mr. Trump said last week the White House was working on a possible executive order.
“An executive order is the fastest way he can do something,” one of the administration officials said Thursday.

Administration officials, who said the situation remained fluid Thursday morning, provided conflicting information about what the president planned to announce.

Congressional Democrats have already indicated they would oppose such a move. Sens. Jack Reed (D., R.I.) and Brian Schatz (D., Hawaii) wrote in a letter to Attorney General William Barr and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross on Tuesday asking that they “immediately cease consideration of an executive order or any other means of adding a citizenship question.”

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D., Calif.) said Thursday the House would vote next week to hold Attorney General William Barr and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross in contempt for ignoring a congressional subpoena seeking information about the citizenship-question effort. Mr. Trump invoked executive privilege over documents on how the question was added to the census after they were requested.

The news conference will be the latest chapter in a monthslong saga over the administration’s efforts to add such a question to the census.

The Supreme Court in a 5-4 ruling last month blocked the citizenship question on procedural grounds, with Chief Justice John Roberts writing that the evidence that had emerged on Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross’s decision-making process “tells a story that does not match the explanation the secretary gave.”

The court’s decision said the Trump administration had the authority to ask about citizenship on the census—if it had valid reasons for doing so and could explain and support those reasons with candor.

After considering their legal options and facing a deadline to print the census forms, the Commerce and Justice departments announced last week that the fight was over and the forms were being sent to the printer without the question.

That night and the following morning, Mr. Trump called the accurate reports of administration statements in federal court “fake news,” adding that all possibilities were still being explored.

In private conversations with his advisers, Mr. Trump last week said he had never approved ending the effort to add a citizenship question to the census and blamed his administration for poorly communicating what was happening. Pointing to the Commerce Department’s announcement that it was starting to print the census without a citizenship question, Mr. Trump said, “Yeah, we’re printing, but we can always go back and add a question,” according to an administration official.

Government lawyers appeared surprised by the president’s tweets and apparent decision to continue pressing the issue. “I am doing my absolute best to figure out what’s going on,” attorney Joshua Gardner told U.S. District Judge George Hazel.

Since then, the Justice Department has reopened efforts to examine the president’s legal options for adding a citizenship question to the census. On Sunday, the department sought to shift the case to a different team of government lawyers, which Attorney General William Barr said was because some lawyers on the case felt uncomfortable continuing after telling courts the citizenship question would be dropped, only to be contradicted the following morning by the president.

Judges in Maryland and New York rejected the plan to switch legal teams in the census case.

The citizenship question hasn’t been asked on the main census form since 1950, although the Census Bureau collects citizenship data through its American Community Survey. The survey, which some 3.5 million households are required to complete annually, is used by federal, state and local policy makers, along with businesses, nonprofits and academic researchers.

Plaintiffs who challenged the citizenship question in multiple courts argued the Trump administration acted in bad faith to add a question that would disadvantage Hispanics and the communities in which they reside. The plaintiffs contend that recently discovered evidence traces the question to a Republican political strategist whose research indicated it would help shift political power to white voters and Republicans in redistricting.

Conservative lawyers in recent days have suggested several possible legal strategies the White House could rely on for the action.

Lawyers David Rivkin and Gilson Gray, writing in The Wall Street Journal opinion pages, suggested the president sign an executive order stating that a citizenship question is necessary to enforce Section 2 of the 14th Amendment, ratified in 1868 to deter former Confederate states from keeping African-Americans from voting. The provision reduces a state’s allocation of congressional seats in proportion to the number of citizens denied voting rights.

Congress never passed implementing legislation, and the federal government never has sought to enforce the provision. The official Constitution Annotated, a resource published by the Congressional Research Service, called the section “little more than an historical curiosity.”

Radio host Hugh Hewitt has proposed justifying a citizenship question based on the fact that many of the Democratic candidates in a televised debate last week expressed support for expanding Medicare to younger U.S. citizens and certain noncitizens.

Democrats have dismissed such proposals as absurd. Rep. Jamie Raskin (D., Md.), a former law professor, said last week that there was likely no way to fix the flaw identified by the Supreme Court—that the administration flouted the policy-making process, which requires candor and a reasoned basis for agency decisions.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:03 PM
'Shifter
U*S*A-Love It or Leave It
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 239 Likes on 202 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

The sooner the better.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:07 PM
BLZNSDL
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

this: he can simply simply nename it the "legal citizen census" and make it the official document.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:17 PM
KenHorse
Democrats = Communists
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
Received 1,277 Likes on 811 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Aside from the Dems not wanting to let Trump have a win, the Dems' main reason for objecting to this is that it means their lies and deceptions will be exposed (there are many more than their claimed 11 million illegals in the country), as well as thwarting their efforts to take over the US.

I ******* HATE these *************
Old 07-11-2019, 01:21 PM
6spdC6
CF Senior Member

Location: A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake in the "Peoples Republic" of upper NY state http://www.visitsacandaga.com/
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but did not obunghole take it out by EO? It was in there a long time before it was removed!

Course anything a POS democrap wants to do is perfectly OK.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:53 PM
SJRick
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 6spdC6 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but did not obunghole take it out by EO? It was in there a long time before it was removed!

Course anything a POS democrap wants to do is perfectly OK.
Your stupidity and bias is showing....

No, Obama was not President in 1960, the fist year the citizenship question was omitted. He was not even born until 1961.

The wannabe dictator-in-chief wants to ignore the SCOTUS. That should be the real issue.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:58 PM
1%r
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 through '17

Originally Posted by SJRick View Post

No, Obama was not President in 1960, the fist year the citizenship question was omitted. He was not even born until 1961.

The wannabe dictator-in-chief wants to ignore the SCOTUS. That should be the real issue.

Every U.S. Census since 1850 Asked About Citizenship Status Until OBAMA Removed That Question.

page: 1
<< 2 3 4 >>

join
share:

carewemust
+43 more
posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link
March 27, 2018

There's a lot of whining from certain individuals, groups, and anti-American factions of the U.S. media, because the 2020 U.S. Census WILL ask about Citizenship-Immigration status.

What they don't tell you, is that the Citizenship question has been a part of EVERY U.S. CENSUS from 1850 to 2000. The Barack Hussein Obama administration REMOVED this question from the 2010 census. (fyi.. The U.S. population count/census is taken every 10 years.)

What is striking in the 2010 census form is the lack of citizenship or birthplace question.

It appears that this is the first census to omit this inquiry. Question 13 of the 2000 census form specifically asked the following.:
Is this person a CITIZEN of the United States?
-Yes, born in the United States—>Skip to 15a
-Yes, born in Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, or Northern Marianas
-Yes, born abroad of American parent or parents
-Yes, a U.S. citizen by naturalization
-No, not a citizen of the United States

The 2010 Census website explains the issue, but fails to answer why the form changed suddenly this year. While it may be Constitutional to count every person living in the United States, it should not preclude the Census Bureau from knowing what is the legal status of those living in the country.
SOURCE - From January 11, 2010: www.washingtontimes.com...

Just like today, the media was extremely liberal in 2010. They didn't report the sudden removal of the Citizenship question from the 2010 Census, because they knew why the Obama Administration did it. More Democratic voters, and potentially more taxpayer dollars to Blue states, like California. In addition, the Obama Administration could not be held accountable for allowing many millions of law-breaking non-citizens to enter and live in the United States, if Congress had no idea how many were here, and where they were living.

The Obama Administration thought Americans were too stupid to know they were being screwed by ObamaCare, and too dumb to understand the significance of removing the citizenship question from the 2010 U.S. census. To Obama's dismay, Americans proved him wrong, and voted most Democrats out of office, all over the country, from 2010 thru 2016.

Thanks to the Donald Trump Administration, the 2020 U.S. Census will return to tradition, and ask about citizenship, like it did from 1850 to 2000.

nice try no so slick rick the paid DNC party of hate hack
Old 07-11-2019, 02:09 PM
KenHorse
Democrats = Communists
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk

Originally Posted by 1%r View Post
nice try no so slick rick the paid DNC party of hate hack
Once again, SJRick posts LIES. As he is a PAID OFFICIAL in the DNC, he ALWAYS lies and ALWAYS spews official DNC propaganda.

Only the most ignorant and/or stupid believe his bullshit

Hey Rick, how well do you know Epstein?

Last edited by KenHorse; 07-11-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:12 PM
1%r
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 through '17

Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
Once again, SJRick posts LIES. As he is a PAID OFFICIAL in the DNC, he ALWAYS lies and ALWAYS spews official DNC propaganda.

Only the most ignorant and/or stupid believe his bullshit

Hey Rick, how well do you know Epstein?
no kidding plus he got SCOTUS wrong. roberts said come back. he doesn't want to discuss the guardians of pedophilia
Old 07-11-2019, 02:16 PM
Nutmeg
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I worked in family genealogy that was a common question I recall seeing in census records, where were you born and are you a citizen. I wondered when those questions were removed. Now I know it was the Obama administration. The item I'm wondering about is how honest people will be on the census records.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:23 PM
KenHorse
Democrats = Communists
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1%r View Post
no kidding plus he got SCOTUS wrong. roberts said come back. he doesn't want to discuss the guardians of pedophilia
You mean he lied about that too?

Old 07-11-2019, 04:50 PM
6spdC6
CF Senior Member

Location: A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake in the "Peoples Republic" of upper NY state http://www.visitsacandaga.com/

And this liberal ******* calls me stupid!

'What they don't tell you, is that the Citizenship question has been a part of EVERY U.S. CENSUS from 1850 to 2000. The Barack Hussein Obama administration REMOVED this question from the 2010 census. (fyi.. The U.S. population count/census is taken every 10 years.) Quote courtesy of 1%r post!

Last edited by 6spdC6; 07-11-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:52 PM
KenHorse
Democrats = Communists
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 6spdC6 View Post
And this liberal ******* calls me stupid!

What they don't tell you, is that the Citizenship question has been a part of EVERY U.S. CENSUS from 1850 to 2000. The Barack Hussein Obama administration REMOVED this question from the 2010 census. (fyi.. The U.S. population count/census is taken every 10 years.)
He's a paid official of the DNC. Being stupid is kinda a prerequisite

Old 07-11-2019, 05:43 PM
6spdC6
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
He's a paid official of the DNC. Being stupid is kinda a prerequisite
Well he certainty is overqualified in that department!

As for me I'm almost at 50 years of being a union member (construction union, Pipe fitters), but far from a lockstep democrap My posts prove that out!
I laugh at the union officials that tell us to vote for a demo. FWIW many other members are like me!
Old 07-11-2019, 05:48 PM
FLA-C3
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're a damn liar. But hey, everyone here knows it...
Old 07-11-2019, 05:49 PM
Cygnus
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It won't matter if Trump issues an executive order. Liberals already have their judges waiting to stop it before the ink is dry.

Of course the pussies at SCOTUS won't do anything to stop the liberal judges, so we are back to where we started. No one will allow the true numbers of illegals in this country to be known.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:52 PM
Tri-Tip
CF Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Once the census comes out, all the cons on the forum will post up that they won't respond to it, so what do they care what questions are on it.

Such as:

Originally Posted by ET View Post
I filled my Census form out, ran it thru the shredder, stuffed it in their envelope and mailed it back. That should put one of Obama's little Census miscreants to work ..........

Originally Posted by BlueSteel View Post
Obviously you don't understand the idea of individual freedom! I have the sole and inalienable right of decision on giving information about my life to the government or anyone else. If I choose not to give some government functionary personal information that is the end of it. They have no right to threaten me with fines or anything else. Government for and by the people, not us being subservient to an out of control tyrannical government. This country was founded when an out of control tyrannical government tried to impose its will on the citizenry.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:53 PM
RedC7AZ
CF Senior Member

Received 311 Likes on 194 Posts

First of all. Trump is your president and we don't give a **** if you think he wants to be your dictator.

Can you provide one rational reason why we should not have a question on our US Census that helps us identify the citizens from the non citizens, such as illegal aliens?

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 07-11-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:06 PM
KenHorse
Democrats = Communists
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
It won't matter if Trump issues an executive order. Liberals already have their judges waiting to stop it before the ink is dry.

Of course the pussies at SCOTUS won't do anything to stop the liberal judges, so we are back to where we started. No one will allow the true numbers of illegals in this country to be known.
That EVERY Democrat on TV uses "11 million" as the number is plenty of proof it's much higher
Old 07-11-2019, 06:11 PM
calwldlife
CF Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 76 Posts

sounds like a great plan.
now evidence will be found and a side benefit of knowing where the
live.
no question on the form but paper trails of where, who, and how they are living in the USA.
brilliant.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trump Expected to Sign Executive Action Regarding Census Citizenship Question

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: