Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page >

Robot umpires make debut in minor league All-Star Game

Notices
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Robot umpires make debut in minor league All-Star Game

Old 07-12-2019, 07:59 AM
69L46
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-‘19
Default Robot umpires make debut in minor league All-Star Game

Although it would be rather entertaining to see a corpulent MLB manager kicking dirt on a 'robot', this seems like a long time off for he major leagues.

https://www.wsbradio.com/news/nation...W720nOEdcigjL/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YORK, Pa. - Reboot the umpire!

It doesn't have the same ring as the old baseball axiom, "kill the umpire," but baseball introduced its newest technology Wednesday night at the Atlantic League All-Star Game -- robot umpires.

The independent league became the first American professional baseball league to use a computerized system to call ***** and strikes, the York Daily Record reported.

To fans watching from the stands, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. York pitcher Mitch Adkins threw the first pitch of the game, and home plate umpire Brian deBrauwere signaled "strike one." However, the call was made by a computerized radar system, the newspaper reported.

DeBrauwere wore an earpiece that was connected to an iPhone and made the call after receiving a signal from a TrackMan computer system, according to The Associated Press.

The call originates from the press box. An official monitors a laptop that runs the radar system, according to the Record. The system electronically determines whether the pitch is a ball or strike, and the information is relayed to the home plate umpire's wireless earpiece.

Atkins, who pitched the first inning of Wednesday's game, did not seem convinced about the new technology, wondering whether the robot's strike zone would be consistent. There also was a slight delay in some pitches, Atkins told the newspaper.

“Some of the pitches they call strikes (now) don’t look like strikes. It looks like a ball and TrackMan calls it a strike," Atkins told the Record. "It’s just different.

"Every pitch I've thrown (high in the strike zone) has been a ball my whole career, since I was 6 years old, until now. It's different to see them called a strike.

“I like the human umpire, but I’ve been playing a long time," Atkins told the Record."I’m old school."

The umpires do have the option to override the computer's call and still will make calls on checked swings, according to the AP.

There was still some trepidation, however.

“One time I already had caught the ball back from the catcher and he signaled strike,” pitcher Daryl Thompson told the AP. Thompson said he did not realize a robot was making the calls until he disagreed with one.

“This is an exciting night for MLB, the Atlantic League, baseball generally,” Morgan Sword, Major League Baseball's senior vice president of economics and operations, told the AP. “This idea has been around for a long time and it’s the first time it’s been brought to life in a comprehensive way.”

At one point later in the game, deBrauwere's earpiece stopped working and he had to call each pitch, the Record reported.

The umpire admitted the experience was strange.

"If you ask a baseball purist, they’ll hate it," deBrauwere told the Record. "They love the manager coming out of the dugout and yelling at the home plate umpire. They love the hitter telling the umpire he’s wrong after he strikes out.

"This system will completely change all that."

Old 07-12-2019, 04:40 PM
virtue4u
CF Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have long believed that computers should call ***** and strikes.
In tennis they have computers determine whether a ball is in or out.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:01 PM
pewt2k
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Billie Martin just rolled over.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:50 PM
BadUmp
CF Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

R2D2 when you finish cleaning the plate go wash my windows . . .
Old 07-12-2019, 06:53 PM
blaforce
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by pewt2k View Post
Billie Martin just rolled over.
That's who immediately came to mind. The game hasn't been the same since he left. Throwing dirt on the umpire was classic!
Old 07-12-2019, 07:48 PM
BadUmp
CF Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Dwyer Stadium home of the Muckdogs. Umpiring tonight are none other than CP30 working the dish and R2D2 on the bases . . .

Last edited by BadUmp; 07-12-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:30 PM
virtue4u
CF Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I predict that in time there will be no need for linesmen in some professional major tennis tournaments.
The calls will be quickly made by computers.
Baseball needs to look into this as well.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:37 AM
billyboy47
CF Senior Member

Received 211 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

After watching some ridiculous calls at the plate, I'd say it's about time. Every team will benefit from the correct call being made, not just my favorite team. NYY

Last edited by billyboy47; 07-13-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Robot umpires make debut in minor league All-Star Game

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: