Notices
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Devotional:Obedience to God's Word

Old 07-12-2019, 11:35 AM
johnson333
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Devotional:Obedience to God's Word

July 12

Obedience to God's Word

“By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments” (1 John 2:3).

True believers obey God’s commandments.

Before Jesus ascended to Heaven after His resurrection, He gave the following Great Commission to His disciples: “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you” (Matt. 28:19-20). Notice that a true disciple was to observe, or obey, all of Christ’s commands.

The apostle John understood well the Lord’s instruction. He knew that obedience to the commands of God produces assurance—the confidence of knowing for sure “that we have come to know Him” (1 John 2:3). The Greek word for “keep” in that verse refers to watchful, careful, thoughtful obedience. It is not an obedience that is only the result of external pressure; it is the eager obedience of one who “keeps” the divine commandments as if they were something precious to guard. Such obedience is motivated by love, as John indicates in verse 5: “Whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him.” That’s supported by the word translated “commandments,” which refers specifically to the precepts of Christ rather than laws in general. Legal obedience demands perfection or penalty, while 1 John 2:3 is a call to gracious obedience because of the penalty Christ has already paid.

However, those who claim to know God and yet despise His commandments John calls liars: “The one who says, ‘I have come to know Him,’ and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him” (v. 4). “They profess to know God, but by their deeds they deny Him, being detestable and disobedient, and worthless for any good deed” (Titus 1:16).

How can you determine if you are a true Christian? Not by sentiment, but by obedience. If you desire to obey God out of gratitude for all Christ has done for you, and if you see that desire producing an overall pattern of obedience, you have passed an important test indicating the presence of saving faith.

Suggestions for Prayer

If you have found your obedience is predicated more on the act of obedience than on gratitude for God, confess that now and seek to change your attitude.

For Further Study

Memorize 1 Samuel 15:22 as motivation for the right spirit of obedience.

From Strength for Today by John MacArthur
Old 07-12-2019, 08:33 PM
Larry82
CF Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Agree with you completely, but you do realize the audience you have in CFOT? Aggressively anti-Christian.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:39 PM
johnson333
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry82 View Post
Agree with you completely, but you do realize the audience you have in CFOT? Aggressively anti-Christian.
Nothing will stop the Lords word. Ever!

Grace and peace to you.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:45 PM
Larry82
CF Senior Member

For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:29 PM
68/70Vette
CF Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think that is true. I feel comfortable believing that many of our contributors are Christians and Jews.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:31 PM
Larry82
CF Senior Member

Just evaluate based on the content/context of posts, here and in CFOT main.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:33 PM
Larry82
CF Senior Member

BTW, not referring to heritage but on confession and actions.

In secular terms, judge a book by its cover.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:51 PM
WICKEDFRC
CF Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 288 Posts

Not necessarily a true statement.

While I am not anti-Christian, I am not aggressively pro-Christian either. But..... I am continuously seeking something greater. To be a better person. My problem is, I have so much anger/rage inside from past life experiences that, it's difficult to shake. I am a work in progress. And for many, I've had more "Divine Interventions" than most which is ironic for someone of my religious position. Just this morning, I posted this on a friend's Facebook page where he too posts spiritual messages of the day:

I'll be the first to admit that I've been doing it wrong for all these years. And while I can not make up for the past, I am trying to make a difference for today as well as the future. But like some people, I often backslide as my faith weakens. Or I simply just lose faith all together. But then, something always brings me back from a dark path to walk in the light. That, is my relationship for Someone who is always by my side whether I see Him, feel Him, know Him, or even believe Him. He is always there for me. And it's time I really commit myself to reciprocate that loving, unconditional relationship in return. Amen.

And not even two hours later, another post was populated with an image of bright sunlight over a calm ocean and the caption read: "God is light. In Him, there is no darkness at all."

Either that is very "coincidental" or another Divine Intervention affirming (confirming?) my thoughts posted hours prior.

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 07-12-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:49 PM
zachaeous
CF Senior Member

Received 368 Likes on 319 Posts

I was aware of God early in my life. The time that I realized in my heart that the Lord was my only hope in life is when I went from doing things out of routine and began to be obedient to the One who gave everything for me. The Word became real and spoke to me from Genesis to Revelation about the Lord and His love for His people.

Yes, there are some people on here that get completely bent out of shape when you mention Jesus and the Word of God. This is not new, it is just about everywhere I have been in my 70 years on this earth and the level of anger has risen in the last several years. We must still stay engaged in this world and let our light shine.

I am not ashamed of the Gospel and I live by faith in the promises of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Devotional:Obedience to God's Word

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: