CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Anyone get flipped off by hybrid drivers?? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2061972-anyone-get-flipped-off-by-hybrid-drivers.html)

DefenderC5 07-03-2008 12:59 AM

Before gas was $4+ a gallon, hybrid "activists" were few and far between. Suddenly, because people are feeling the cost of pricey gas, many are seeking high MPG vehicles (like hybrids) and now notice what other people are driving compared to them... and are confused as to why others are not making the switch.

I believe they are more concerned with saving a buck than they are with saving the environment.

If gas was $1.50 a gallon again, a lot of these people would jump back in their SUVs. IMO, Environmentalism is the new bandwagon.

slowtealz28 07-03-2008 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by DefenderC5 (Post 1566154477)
Before gas was $4+ a gallon, hybrid "activists" were few and far between. Suddenly, because people are feeling the cost of pricey gas, many are seeking high MPG vehicles (like hybrids) and now notice what other people are driving compared to them... and are confused as to why others are not making the switch.

I believe they are more concerned with saving a buck than they are with saving the environment.

If gas was $1.50 a gallon again, a lot of these people would jump back in their SUVs. IMO, Environmentalism is the new bandwagon.

The truth is that right now you are better off buying a regular honda civic 2 door than a hybrid, because of the price difference. It takes some time before you really start seeing the benefits of the hybrid because of the price. If they really care about the environment they should be driving scooters, or taking the bus to work.

JohnnyDee 07-03-2008 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by ZO6TrailblazerSS (Post 1566044847)
So I am minding my own business in the middle lane with my Z set on cruise control at 72mph (averaging 24.8mpg :) ) . Approx 1/2 mile ahead there is a car in the middle lane in front of me so without even changing speed I change to the left lane and pass the car. It is a Prius and has many "Love Mother Earth" "Give the earth a hug, drive a hybrid", I respect peope who are like that, everyone has an opinion/views and that's fine with me. Well all of a sudden after I pass and merge back into the middle lane a solid 1/2mile ahead of this Prius, I look back and it is so close to me I can not see the headlights. The Prius then goes to pass me and slows next to me and flips me off. and then proceeds. I of course felt no need to respond and just smiled.

I then pull over for gas about an hour later and am asked by a civic hybrid driver "wow you must hate the enviroment?" To which I swiftly responded "I am averaging, for my trip today, over 27mpg, how does that make you feel?" The civic driver turned back to the pump and did not respond. My g/f said it was the attack of the hybrids...
What has everyone on here run into? Anyone have any bad experiences? I think we get pretty damn good gas mileage with these bad boys...

My ride is a '99 FRC with mods.:steering: My wife drives a Toyota Camry Hybrid and she hasn't flipped me off yet, that I know of.:lol:

MRSTEAM 07-12-2008 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by ZO6TrailblazerSS (Post 1566044847)
So I am minding my own business in the middle lane with my Z set on cruise control at 72mph (averaging 24.8mpg :) ) . Approx 1/2 mile ahead there is a car in the middle lane in front of me so without even changing speed I change to the left lane and pass the car. It is a Prius and has many "Love Mother Earth" "Give the earth a hug, drive a hybrid", I respect peope who are like that, everyone has an opinion/views and that's fine with me. Well all of a sudden after I pass and merge back into the middle lane a solid 1/2mile ahead of this Prius, I look back and it is so close to me I can not see the headlights. The Prius then goes to pass me and slows next to me and flips me off. and then proceeds. I of course felt no need to respond and just smiled.

I then pull over for gas about an hour later and am asked by a civic hybrid driver "wow you must hate the enviroment?" To which I swiftly responded "I am averaging, for my trip today, over 27mpg, how does that make you feel?" The civic driver turned back to the pump and did not respond. My g/f said it was the attack of the hybrids...
What has everyone on here run into? Anyone have any bad experiences? I think we get pretty damn good gas mileage with these bad boys...

I was on my way to a EV meeting and a Prius came up close behind me and switched lanes as we came to a stop light. I knew he was going to try to pass me on the inside of the immediate corner that we had to negociate as we left the light as this is what everyone does in this area and then cut in front of me to get on the Hwy. He was going to take great pride in cutting off the Vette. As if... I did break the tires loose keeping him in his lane as I had ground to make up being on the outside. I just paced him so he had to brake to get behind me and get on the Hwy. When I merged on the Hwy I did not see him any more. These idiots seem to pick out Vetts to screw with. I thought you guys were just being jerks until this happened. What is the point of getting a Hybrid if your going to drive it so it gets 18 miles to the gallon?
To date I have not been accosted about gas or the environment by anyone. Perhaps it is because I am 6' 1" and rarely have a smile on my face also I am dark complected brown eyes I look like I could be from the middle east. People might think I will blow them up it they disturb me.:flag: Getting grey in the temples now so people will try to flick me crap as I'm older.:rofl: Oh yea I read some were that people who have stickers on there car are more prone road rage.

skydive120 07-12-2008 05:03 AM

Like the vettes or hate them, everytime someone gives me the finger for what ever reason when i drive the vette (driving a gas gussler-- please, or cutting them off cause they are to slow.....)
Just flash them a peace sign, that will really piss them off!!

Peace

Chris

LightFighter_GXP 07-12-2008 09:27 AM

yeah I had that happen to me some lady said you should get a car that gets better MPG at the gas station on my way to Jersey on the PA turnpike..... I said I have a car that gets better MPG........ I average 31/32 on the E-way...... then she said well your car is loud!!! I said yours is boring and un-noticeable... now have a safe trip lady!!

UniqueDoug 07-12-2008 11:20 AM

Or the cliff notes version. :D

Originally Posted by MRSTEAM (Post 1566271338)
...Oh yea I read some were that people who have stickers on there car are more prone road rage.

Luv My Vette 07-12-2008 02:24 PM

I am in both worlds. During the week I have a company supplied Prius and on the weekend I am driving my Vette. I never flip myself off....lol

HeyVern 07-12-2008 09:00 PM

out here in the backwoods of TN. it's open season on Hybirds year round especially Ps and there is no limit. We cut the emblem off and mount them in our garage.:cheers:

BOTYNV1 07-12-2008 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by HeyVern (Post 1566279156)
out here in the backwoods of TN. it's open season on Hybirds year round especially Ps and there is no limit. We cut the emblem off and mount them in our garage.:cheers:

:rofl: :rofl:

HighOctC5 07-13-2008 01:34 AM

I don't spend a lot of time looking in my rearview mirror!

Redneck Slim 07-13-2008 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by HeyVern (Post 1566279156)

You and your hunting buddies should come to Palo Alto. It would be like discovering a well-stocked lake that has never been fished.

Nightdrv 07-19-2008 04:21 AM

It's funny to find this thread, as this hasn't happened to me yet. But, in anticipation of it, I would love to have "33MPGHWY" as my plate from the DMV.

skydive120 07-21-2008 01:51 AM

Funny eh, all these companies advertising 30 or so MPG and we have been getting that since 97----- hmmmmmm.

Interesting indeed.

Chris

Oh 2 Fun 07-21-2008 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by MRSTEAM (Post 1566271338)
I was on my way to a EV meeting and a Prius came up close behind me and switched lanes as we came to a stop light. I knew he was going to try to pass me on the inside of the immediate corner that we had to negociate as we left the light as this is what everyone does in this area and then cut in front of me to get on the Hwy. He was going to take great pride in cutting off the Vette. As if... I did break the tires loose keeping him in his lane as I had ground to make up being on the outside. I just paced him so he had to brake to get behind me and get on the Hwy. When I merged on the Hwy I did not see him any more. These idiots seem to pick out Vetts to screw with. I thought you guys were just being jerks until this happened. What is the point of getting a Hybrid if your going to drive it so it gets 18 miles to the gallon?
To date I have not been accosted about gas or the environment by anyone. Perhaps it is because I am 6' 1" and rarely have a smile on my face also I am dark complected brown eyes I look like I could be from the middle east. People might think I will blow them up it they disturb me.:flag: Getting grey in the temples now so people will try to flick me crap as I'm older.:rofl: Oh yea I read some were that people who have stickers on there car are more prone road rage.

I think I like your style.....:)

skydive120 07-21-2008 02:20 AM

What is the point of getting a Hybrid if your going to drive it so it gets 18 miles to the gallon?

EXACTLY-- what is the point of a Hybrid if they drive it like its a Mustang?

Chris