CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Who's AC still works? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/1110854-whos-ac-still-works.html)

jfb 06-11-2005 01:06 AM

I bought my 87 coupe in 1989 and have driven it every day. The a/c has NEVER worked very well. It has been worked on almost every summer and it does a poor job of cooling. Two years ago I had it converted to R134a and cooling is still poor (and the same as R12). I would like to shove a 300 watt soldering iron up the rectum of the guy who designed the cooling system, IT SUCKS!!!! I didn't even bother getting it fixed last year and went through the summer without a/c. I have never seen a/c in early C4's work worth a crap!!!!
BTW, my idea of a/c is one that if turned to max cool makes you uncomfortably cold. All *** cars will do that but no GM product will.

JrRifleCoach 06-11-2005 02:19 AM

Wha'd trying to do? Put a hex on my A/C?

Now I gotta go out and kill a cat, smear the blood on the roof of a rustang and cast a spell on a Chrysler! :rofl: :rofl:

flyzlow 06-11-2005 03:43 AM

:) My 87 still works great! It only has 38,000 miles though. I run the air everytime I start the car just to keep the seals going. I hope I can always find some freon for it when it needs some.

CentralCoaster 06-11-2005 04:12 AM

The A/C in my 85 was good as new until this February when I didn't drive the car for 2 months. :smash:

Lemme know if you find a good a/c shop down here. I need some more R12. Napa will only sell me $3500 tanks of it (with EPA licensing). There's gotta be someone who sells 2 lb bottles.

ClarenceT 06-11-2005 05:42 AM

Hmm shop - I don't know. I was planning to do it myself, using a friend's evac pump and guages..

As far as r12, I was just in AZ over the weekend, and forgot to check if they still sell it there w/o a license... but that may be one way to go..

Ive converted 3 cars to r134a (2 toyotas and one honda) and no snafus - so if i do keep my AC I thnik I'll just do the earth-friendly thing, in case it ever leaks out... But this would be my first domestic where I'm going to mess with AC, hence I'm asking.. So I guess the new-er design works well enough from all your replies (sorry to the guys with the older ones :( ) - so it's worth a shot..

Coastal SoCal doesn't get too terribly hot, but inland can be annoying, and often times work takes me to all sorts of odd places...

myvettesblue 06-11-2005 05:43 AM

:D :yesnod:

Casper 06-11-2005 06:57 AM

The AC in my '89 and '82 quit cooling about the same time 4 or 5 years ago. Had them repaired and changed over to the new coolant. It wasn't cheap to fix either but they both work great now. The '82 will freeze you out and the '89 cools almost as good. I think repairs to both were about $500 each.

Sprongs 06-11-2005 07:16 AM

How much of a hassel is it to convert the a/c from R-12 to R-134a. The air on my 93 just went dead. The cost for R-12 around here, if you can find it, is about $40 per pound. Have heard all you need is 4 cans of the R-134a and a bottle of Easter 100 oil.

Casper 06-11-2005 09:06 AM

I had every thing replaced so I'd have to find my repair ticket to say what just the cost the R134a was.

JCAIRE2 06-11-2005 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
The A/C in my 85 was good as new until this February when I didn't drive the car for 2 months. :smash:

Lemme know if you find a good a/c shop down here. I need some more R12. Napa will only sell me $3500 tanks of it (with EPA licensing). There's gotta be someone who sells 2 lb bottles.

How close do you live to Mexico? You can buy R12 all day long there for like $2 a can.

Bring gauges and can tap to MX with you, buy freon, recharge and head back across the border. :)

ZfidyONE-84 06-11-2005 11:52 AM

my ac works fine, but cuts out after a few mins, i think i'm battling a low pressure issue, but i found out someone converted my 84 over to 134 already :thumbs:

MrRenoman 06-11-2005 12:18 PM

My 85 works good even with the El Cheapo Interdynamics Retrofit kit. I have all the same parts except new o-rings and I did swap out my old compressor with another old used one. So basically I have all original parts with new o-rings running on R134A. Until it breaks again, I'll just keep it like this.

If you replace the hose you'll need to thouroughly clean out all the components, replace the drier, replace the o-rings, and then make the decision if you want to use the old R12 (better) or convert to R134 (cheaper to maintain).

Art

c4cruiser 06-11-2005 12:29 PM

When you run the "Defrost" Setting, the A/C works to dehumidify and remove moisture from inside the car.

If you have a coupe with a clear top, the A/C is going to be a must as it doesn't take anytime at all for the sun to turn the interior into an oven!

MY 95 06-11-2005 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by bdvdvh7
my 95 has incredibly cold air conditioning and the system works great for me.. (knock on wood...!)

ice cold in the 95 and the 85

ZfidyONE-84 06-11-2005 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
When you run the "Defrost" Setting, the A/C works to dehumidify and remove moisture from inside the car.

If you have a coupe with a clear top, the A/C is going to be a must as it doesn't take anytime at all for the sun to turn the interior into an oven!

thats when you say F it, and pop the top :thumbs:

SunCr 06-11-2005 01:29 PM

Mine works great with 38 to 42 degree vent temps, but I've replaced every single part at one time or another and with only 59K, that doesn't say much for quality (high pressure line was replaced under warranty and my Evaporator sprung a leak shortly after it expired). The Nippondenso is a stout unit and is used by Lexus, Porsche and several of the other luxo brands. From here and other Boards, it does seem to have a penchant for wearing out the shaft seal, but that part isn't too difficult to replace if you're handy with tools and you catch it before it wears a groove in the shaft (I wasn't that lucky but I tried it anyway). There is a Bulletin on the '89 main hose which on the 1st couple of thousand, struck the hood. Apparently it was redesigned, but I found when I replaced it, you need to make sure that it is turned "down" to keep it from doing this. I've been through one Blower Module and my Blower Motor wires melted a couple of times (again under warranty), but since I've soldered the terminals to the leads, that problem has been cured. Also discovered that a clean radiator and proper coolant temps are a must, particularly with C130 alternator. Once the Aux fan comes on (and it really shouldn't even if your Vette has the option), that plus the load of the blower and all the other accessories is enough to overwhelm the electrical system and once everything slows down, it all goes to hell.

lensvet 06-11-2005 01:40 PM

My 87 is still going strong. "Hope I didn't jinx myself."

Darth Vader 06-11-2005 01:46 PM

96 air still works

radwebster 06-11-2005 02:08 PM

i'm surprised my crap still runs, didn't even look at the air yet... :ack:

TomHamill 06-11-2005 03:16 PM

'95 and working fine.......... :yesnod: