CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Brake Line Update - underhood (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1113860-brake-line-update-underhood.html)

ttomczak 06-15-2005 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by mdcruiser
Sorry, I didn't check. So much smoke was coming from the hood that I feared a fire would break out. When the smoke cleared, and while waiting for a tow, I popped the hood, and of course everything looked normal. I assumed there was a brake fluid leak, and would never have thought of looking at the brake line until my dealer, in disbelief, phoned me and told me the news. [The dealer had never seen this happen either.] Didn't ask them the details you seek.

Ttomczak, why not IM me -- we should coordinate and share as much info as we have. I hope the forum will incite others to report this failure if they have one.

I had the first same thoughts as Mdcruiser, fearing a fire and such, I did drive the car about 7 miles to the dealership though rather than call roadside asst. It was while driving it I realized it was the brake line and then just used the gears and e-brake to slow the car... I touched the brakes while pulling into the dealership bay, it was an impressive cloud of smoke that had everyone coming over...

For whats its worth, it started very slow (small amounts of smoke), I first thought someone had thrown out a cig by the front of the car, but then I saw it coming out from the hood... Brake pad was "soft" but did not use it much because of the spray (after I figured it out it was the brake)

This was their (the dealers) first time with this kind of problem though...

MD, I did IM you...

Thomas

The Garage Master 06-15-2005 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by redhot6
This looks to be the start of a serious safety recall.

I totally agree this is scary.

Mike in IA 06-15-2005 10:13 AM

Me too!

Have 4500 mi on my auto coupe. VIN 9549. Build date 11/23/04.
Went to a driving school last weekend. Did three 25 min sessions fine. At the end of the fourth, I was dropping my instructor off in the pits when smoke rolled out from under the hood. We thought that there was a rupture in the line somewhere near the left front wheel, but could not see anything. The junction between the hose & solid line seemed tight. Drove 4 hours home (rural highways) and had smoke coming out of back of hood & LF wheel well when stopping in towns (shut off AC in town or I would get it thru the vents also). Checked master cyl. and topped it off once.

Car goes in to dealer this morning. Will keep you posted.

I thought that maybe a hose was ruptured by debris on the track. Maybe it wasn't just me.

C7Z51 06-15-2005 10:13 AM

I'm guessing it's a similar issue as this TSB/Recall

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...BrakeLine2.jpg

I wonder who designed and ran the brake lines at GM

corvette1 06-15-2005 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by ttomczak
Well here is what happened so far so if this happens to anyone else, be prepared...

As I had stated, all of a sudden whitish smoke stated coming out from under my hood, it was determined to be a brake line to be bad...

Now on to the bad news...

The tech guy who parked the car did not realize that you had to place the transmission in reverse so I got a call on Tuesday that they needed my key to get in... To their credit, they offered to put a brand new battery in (more so since the old one would not charge anymore (5 months old)...

Then they found out that GM DOES NOT MAKE THIS BRAKE LINE... They are sending back mine and GM is going to fabricate one to send back...

I really don't know how to take this, the dealer is fairly good so I don't see the reason for the story unless its really true, but you would have to assume they could get one from BG or something, and not manufacture a new one (1 off???)...

Anyway, thoughts, comments, replies???

This is very disturbing. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Were you able to determine if this was a failure of the brake line itself or a connector? Are either of the vehicles affected modified in any way or have they recently had any underhood work? Trying to find a common thread.

I hope they find the root issue and get you back on the road quickly. :thumbs:

mdcruiser 06-15-2005 10:26 AM

Thanks for this, VIPERxGTx2000. Here are more details about this recall, details I just found using Google:

2005 Chevrolet Corvette NHTSA Recall ID Number: 04V525000
Recall Date: NOV 03, 2004
Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
Potential Units Affected: 5225
Summary: CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES WERE PRODUCED WITH ONE OR BOTH REAR BRAKE HYDRAULIC LINES THAT CAN COME IN CONTACT WITH OR BE AFFECTED BY HEAT FROM THE LEFT ENGINE EXHAUST MANIFOLD AND THE LEFT EXHAUST PIPE. THE BRAKE FLUID COULD REACH ELEVATED TEMPERATURES AND BOIL.
Consequence: IF THE BRAKE FLUID BOILS IN A REAR BRAKE LINE, THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE REAR BRAKE SYSTEM WOULD BE REDUCED WHICH COULD RESULT IN A BRAKE LINE LEAK AND LOSS OF BRAKE FLUID. IF ENOUGH FLUID LEAKS FROM THE REAR BRAKE SYSTEM SO THAT BRAKE PEDAL APPLICATION CAN NO LONGER BUILD PRESSURE TO THE REAR BRAKES. THE OPERATOR OF THE VEHICLE WILL EXPERIENCE LIMITED BRAKING WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy: DEALERS WILL (1) INSPECT THE LEFT ENGINE EXHAUST MANIFOLD CLIP FOR PROPER ALIGNMENT AND PLACEMENT ON THE BODY-MOUNTED STUD. IF INCORRECT, THEY WILL REPOSITION THE CLIP ON THE BRAKE LINES AND REINSTALL THE CLIP ON THE STUD; (2) THE DEALER WILL VERIFY THAT BOTH REAR BRAKE LINES HAVE THE PROPER CLEARANCE TO THE LEFT EXHAUST PIPE. THEY WILL REPOSITION THE LINES BY BENDING AS NECESSARY; (3) DEALERS WILL REMOVE THE MACHINING TAB FROM THE REAR DIFFERENTIAL HOUSING. ALSO, DEALERS ARE TO INSPECT THE BRAKE LINES FOR WEAR IN THESE RELATED AREAS AND REPAIR OR REPLACE IF THERE IS ANY SIGN OF WEAR-THROUGH ON THE NYLON OVERCOATING. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JANUARY 18, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT CADILLAC AT 1-866-982-2239 OR CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438.
Notes: GENERAL MOTORS CORP., 04086

I am amazed if this recall applies to the three of us who have reported the problem of a ruptured brake line, since all three have a build date AFTER the date of the recall.

In my case, I was at the end of a 160 mile trip, at highway speeds of 60-75, with very occasional braking. Outside temp of about 92 degrees, 95% humidity (typical Maryland summer day in the springtime :(. So there was plenty of chance for heat buildup. I never heard any of the rattling the recall notice mentions -- but my XM radio was on.

What is striking is that there was no forewarning (brakes worked perfectly approx. 10 miles before the incident occurred), and no warning light illumination. I truly could have been killed had someone cut me off and I had to stop on a dime.

As with Ttomczak, at first only a brief softening of the brake pedal and a small white cloud of smoke. But when I kept driving it (about 4 miles, to a friend's house near where the incident first occured) it got worse, and when I finally turned off the ignition huge amounts of white smoke came from the hood on the driver's side. The AC was on when I turned the ignition off, so lots of smoke came inside, too.

mdcruiser 06-15-2005 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by corvette1
...Are either of the vehicles affected modified in any way or have they recently had any underhood work? Trying to find a common thread.

No under-hood mods whatsoever on mine. I did paint the calipers (a glorious blue to match my LMB), but the dealer confirms that had absolutely nothing to do with the incident.

Periokid 06-15-2005 10:39 AM

Now this is scary. It would be great if you guys that are effected could get a picture and/or location of the rupture. I sure would want to check mine!!

Mike in IA 06-15-2005 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by corvette1
This is very disturbing. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Were you able to determine if this was a failure of the brake line itself or a connector? Are either of the vehicles affected modified in any way or have they recently had any underhood work? Trying to find a common thread.

No mods or work on mine. Just the driving school. I was really cooking on my 4th session.

TooManyIDs 06-15-2005 11:39 AM

2005 Chevrolet Corvette NHTSA Recall ID Number: 04V525000
Recall Date: NOV 03, 2004
Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
Potential Units Affected: 5225
Summary: CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES WERE PRODUCED WITH ONE OR BOTH REAR BRAKE HYDRAULIC LINES THAT CAN COME IN CONTACT WITH OR BE AFFECTED BY HEAT FROM THE LEFT ENGINE EXHAUST MANIFOLD AND THE LEFT EXHAUST PIPE. THE BRAKE FLUID COULD REACH ELEVATED TEMPERATURES AND BOIL.
Consequence: IF THE BRAKE FLUID BOILS IN A REAR BRAKE LINE, THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE REAR BRAKE SYSTEM WOULD BE REDUCED WHICH COULD RESULT IN A BRAKE LINE LEAK AND LOSS OF BRAKE FLUID. IF ENOUGH FLUID LEAKS FROM THE REAR BRAKE SYSTEM SO THAT BRAKE PEDAL APPLICATION CAN NO LONGER BUILD PRESSURE TO THE REAR BRAKES. THE OPERATOR OF THE VEHICLE WILL EXPERIENCE LIMITED BRAKING WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy: DEALERS WILL (1) INSPECT THE LEFT ENGINE EXHAUST MANIFOLD CLIP FOR PROPER ALIGNMENT AND PLACEMENT ON THE BODY-MOUNTED STUD. IF INCORRECT, THEY WILL REPOSITION THE CLIP ON THE BRAKE LINES AND REINSTALL THE CLIP ON THE STUD; (2) THE DEALER WILL VERIFY THAT BOTH REAR BRAKE LINES HAVE THE PROPER CLEARANCE TO THE LEFT EXHAUST PIPE. THEY WILL REPOSITION THE LINES BY BENDING AS NECESSARY; (3) DEALERS WILL REMOVE THE MACHINING TAB FROM THE REAR DIFFERENTIAL HOUSING. ALSO, DEALERS ARE TO INSPECT THE BRAKE LINES FOR WEAR IN THESE RELATED AREAS AND REPAIR OR REPLACE IF THERE IS ANY SIGN OF WEAR-THROUGH ON THE NYLON OVERCOATING. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JANUARY 18, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT CADILLAC AT 1-866-982-2239 OR CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438.
Notes: GENERAL MOTORS CORP., 04086
Are the failures in the same location as the recall or is this a new problem?

TooManyIDs 06-15-2005 11:59 AM

See mikeyc6's posts here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=949354

For those of you reporting failures in this thread, do your cars fall in these manufacturing dates?

TheGreatOz 06-15-2005 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by tom4416
they need to drop the whole rear out of the car to change the fuel sending card, the front of the car to fix the crank pulley and now the rest of the car to replace brake lines -

sounds to me like it would be easier to take the car back to BG and let it go down the assembly line again!

No...wait until BG has the replacement parts on the line!

They're using up all the old cards, pulleys & lines first! :smash:

The General must cut costs wherever he can! :crazy:

70454 06-15-2005 12:15 PM

The guys at BG are aware of this bulletin mentioned above. When I was there (2x) they were checking the rear brake line routing. This was a black hydraulic hose (similar to a C3 brake hose) which had to be tucked away from the exhaust to keep it from rubbing. This sounds like a solid, tubular line which is being punctured. Could this be a road debris issue?

corvette1 06-15-2005 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by mdcruiser
No under-hood mods whatsoever on mine. I did paint the calipers (a glorious blue to match my LMB), but the dealer confirms that had absolutely nothing to do with the incident.

It sounds like these were all under hood events so they are related to the proximity to the exhaust manifold rather than the differential clip/clearance issue.

mdcruiser 06-15-2005 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by TooManyIDs
Are the failures in the same location as the recall or is this a new problem?

I have just learned that my failure was (as I suspected -- from the location of the smoke) of the FRONT brake line. So it looks like a different problem, though of course it may be related.

mdcruiser 06-15-2005 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by TooManyIDs
See mikeyc6's posts here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=949354

For those of you reporting failures in this thread, do your cars fall in these manufacturing dates?

All three cars affected and discussed in this thread were built AFTER the manufacturing date of the recall. And, to repeat, in my case at least it was the front, not the rear, brake line that failed.

TooManyIDs 06-15-2005 05:06 PM

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Beach21 06-15-2005 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by tom4416
If this has happened to you, please call national highway transporation safety administration to report it. They are the basis for any future recall. GM is supposed to report safety related failures to them and while I suspect they do (the fines for not doing so are horrendous), I'm not sure how fast they send in the data. If this is a design failure, then the sooner a recall is initiated the better for all of us. This is one of those things that cannot be induced by driver error, misuse, lack of maintenance etc. and is purely design related. If there is white smoke involved, it may be rupturing/breaking very close to the exhaust since the fluid is making it onto a hot part of the system. Let me see if I have this straight; they need to drop the whole rear out of the car to change the fuel sending card, the front of the car to fix the crank pulley and now the rest of the car to replace brake lines - sounds to me like it would be easier to take the car back to BG and let it go down the assembly line again!

:iagree: :thumbs: :thumbs:

9T4Z 06-15-2005 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by TheGreatOz
No...wait until BG has the replacement parts on the line!

They're using up all the old cards, pulleys & lines first! :smash:

The General must cut costs wherever he can! :crazy:

I've been trying to keep all of the issues "within the perspective of a first year model".... and no one wants to slam a car they have probably dreamed of owning for years...

but jeeeeezzzzz TWO separate issues related to brakes. Sometimes we all drive really hard and NEED brakes. This is not an inconvenience issue.. this is really serious and the NHTSB needs to open a file and enforce a recall.

I would be really happy if I could just get pics of where this problem is occuring so I can secure the hose myself!

First and hopefully last rant

Gary

Vet 06-15-2005 08:54 PM

Yes, we really need more info on this. Maybe someone can simply open the hood and/or climb under the car and simply trace all brake line paths and look for anything suspect... look for any lines that are close proximity to anything. Losing front brakes is way worse than losing rears... this could be a very serious, potentially fatal issue.

I can see it now... very realistic scenario... Johnny Hotrod is burning down his local service road at 90 mph impressing a friend in the passenger seat. Johnny Hotrod thinks he can pounce on the brakes and stop the car on a dime before the red light and busy intersection right up ahead. Johnny's foot goes down to the floor, rear wheels shudder, maybe even skid a little, no front brakes, car flies into the intersection at 70 mph, car shatters to pieces as it hits a bunch of things, fatalities are very likely, etc... so I guess we are just waiting for this to happen now. Let's pray it doesn't.

Hopefully we get some info on this asap. Even if Chevy is not immediately responsive, at least owners can check their brake lines and see if any lines are worn or damaged in any way. As well, owners can check for any locations where lines are rubbing against anything, etc, and move / affix the lines out of harm's way.