CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   2001 zo6 twin turbo (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/1418318-2001-zo6-twin-turbo.html)

GR8-LIFE 06-15-2006 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by mdhmi
It's more than $18,000. That isn't including any extras like a heavy duty clutch, transmission, hardened output shaft, differential strut brace, tires, brakes, boost or fuel gagues, boost controller, etc, etc. That price also doesn't appear to include a forged short block.

I'm sure LPE has a good product, but for that type of money I'd expect one hell of a lot more than 470-500 rwhp. For $20-25K I'd want at _least_ 600 rwhp and a forged short block to go with it.

Just my .02.

For 600rwhp Plus HP you really have to start upgrading components, like the fuel system, etc. A forged motor would be highly recommended. I know many on this forum who have broken some serious stuff trying to go 600 on a stock motor. Some have been fortunate but thats a high risk.

TTI is getting out there but they have had some issues with respect to to getting correct parts to owners. Atleast they did awhile ago. I know 2 guys locally who have been very very frustrated with them.

The tune is also the most important aspect as I'm sure many have painfully discovered. If you are going to get a TTI, better find someone who knows what he's doing. The fact is ther are too many out there who dont. LPE has been doing this for a very very long time. And you have 2 places to go (Indiana and Dallas) with LPE and both know what they are doing.

The TTI base HP is reasonably priced (and probably better than the other TT companies just coming out with their claims) but once you you get past the base-line HP that the TTI offers, you suddenly find yourself putting more $$$ into it. And if you want that 600 hp that so many want, the required $$$ for a C5 TT with reliability will come pretty close to an LPE package.

I think you can get an LPE stage II (which includes a forgewd engine) around $27K-$29K nowadays. That will give you 610+ safe and reliable rwhp on pump gas and the curve is tough to beat

Lets not forget that LPE has close to 400 FI Vettes cars out there. Man that is alot of FI Vettes!!!

I honestly feel that you really wont save as much $$$ with TTi as many think, not if you are comparing apples to apples, but I could be wrong.

Regardless, I think you better do the research to find this out before you get hooked. I'm not saying that you will get jobbed, but rather am suggesting that you should make sure things are in writing and you know what you are getting because many FORUM members have found out the hard way with various packages and once you lay the deposit down, its too late to turn back no matter what you find out afterwards. Know what you are getting into and dont falll into the "Tell me what I want to hear" trap.

Earl H 06-15-2006 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by torchvette10
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
For 25K he can get a complete setup!

For $25K:

TTIx : ~ $12 K installed
Forged iron 402K : ~ $5.0K installed
AFR Heads : ~ $2.5K
RPM T56/A4 : ~ $2.3K (installation w/ motor s/b discounted)
Clutch/Convertor : ~ $1.5K (installation"")

Fasteners/gaskets : ~ $ .6K
Misc. : ~ $1.5K ("stuff" comes up)
Total : ~ $25.4K (with the opportunity to come in at less than that)

Having someone knowledgable and competent to do the job right...priceless!

torchvette10 06-15-2006 11:00 AM

Mark,
LPE does a great job for sure, nobody is gonna say that it is wrong! They are one of the best Corvette tuner out there.
But please don't say that they are the only way to go. Many members here are running very high HP cars done by other tuners and they are VERY reliable. The TTI kit has been proven and a lot of people are very happy with it, it has produced great track results!:thumbs:
Then when you get a forged shortblock, they are many engine builder that can do a very good job: LME, HPE, ECS, W2W, we can't forgetabout them, I got quotes from several builders from my forged block and they use top notch parts. Their motors have been proven many times (they listen to your needs and help you make the right decision)
ECS proposed a setup for ~$20000 I think which includes heads, a forged motor plus their Paxton kit (installed and tuned). The car produced over 740 RWHP.
As Earl pointed in his last post, you can get a good setup for 25 K. From LPE you would only get the TT package installed with all the goddies needed since at $19000 a lot of parts are missing.
Then again I am not saying that LPE is bad, I am just saying that there are very good tuners out there thatcan't be forgotten (they also do some great work and have proventheir setups many times)!
:cheers: :flag:

#001 2001 Z06 06-15-2006 12:25 PM

CamaroZack also has a TTiX kit for sale.

Each kit has its good points and cons.

I guess the only thing that I would say is establish written goals and a written budget.

Read and research.

Most importantly take your time.

mdhmi 06-15-2006 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by MARK's_C5TT
I know many on this forum who have broken some serious stuff trying to go 600 on a stock motor.

I am running 600+ rwhp on my stock LS1 bottom end with a TTi Stage X kit. I have broken a valve spring (defect in the spring) and the 4th gear syncro in my T56. That's just the cost of doing business.

If you are going to get a TTI, better find someone who knows what he's doing.

I would certainly hope that you would have a qualified tuner do your car regardless of the particular power adder. Sadly, the aftermarket is littered with no tallent azz clowns pretending to be tuners. That has nothing to do with the kits or even the type of kit.

... but once you you get past the base-line HP that the TTI offers, you suddenly find yourself putting more $$$ into it.

Like what? I'm running the same X kit as the other guys running great times at the track.

And if you want that 600 hp that so many want, the required $$$ for a C5 TT with reliability will come pretty close to an LPE package.

My turbo kit has been 100% reliable. The trans and valve spring had nothing to do with the power adder. I drive my car nearly every day in the summer including trips up north where I get upwards of 30 MPG.

I think you can get an LPE stage II (which includes a forgewd engine) around $27K-$29K nowadays.

Yea - probably around $30K which equates to paying roughly $100 per hp.

Cheers,

Mark

GR8-LIFE 06-15-2006 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by torchvette10
Mark,
LPE does a great job for sure, nobody is gonna say that it is wrong! They are one of the best Corvette tuner out there.
But please don't say that they are the only way to go. Many members here are running very high HP cars done by other tuners and they are VERY reliable. The TTI kit has been proven and a lot of people are very happy with it, it has produced great track results!:thumbs:
Then when you get a forged shortblock, they are many engine builder that can do a very good job: LME, HPE, ECS, W2W, we can't forgetabout them, I got quotes from several builders from my forged block and they use top notch parts. Their motors have been proven many times (they listen to your needs and help you make the right decision)
ECS proposed a setup for ~$20000 I think which includes heads, a forged motor plus their Paxton kit (installed and tuned). The car produced over 740 RWHP.
As Earl pointed in his last post, you can get a good setup for 25 K. From LPE you would only get the TT package installed with all the goddies needed since at $19000 a lot of parts are missing.
Then again I am not saying that LPE is bad, I am just saying that there are very good tuners out there thatcan't be forgotten (they also do some great work and have proventheir setups many times)!
:cheers: :flag:

Lets be fair here. When did I say LPE is the only way to go?. And Did I just not say that TTI is a very resonably priced package? Iam merely suggesting people do their reserch for an apples to apples comparison.

I have always commended George (for those of you who know who George is) on his progress with the C5 TTI. I have been following the c5 tti package before its inception and can EVEN divulge info on ITS failed business plan that very few people know about. How many know what tuner was going to have exclusive royalties with the TTI Package? And what were the initial limitations of the package?

Meanwhile, lets not put words in my mouth. You wouldnt want me to accuse you of bashing LPE would you?

undertaker 06-15-2006 06:07 PM

less than 10 K for sts kit installed on my Z without lifting a wrench at ECS with gauges an meth....553/489

add in a healthy clutch another 1.5-2K depending on your flavor

car is goin back in very soon for a forged 346, fuel, an all the lil incidentals.....I don't forsee any difficulty passing the 7 mark...and staying well under 25K

with boost you don't need displacement guys.....that just adds up to torque which at big power levels hurts more than helps

onfire 06-15-2006 06:17 PM

I am running 600+ rwhp on my stock LS1 bottom end with a TTi Stage X kit. I have broken a valve spring (defect in the spring) and the 4th gear syncro in my T56. That's just the cost of doing business.

I would certainly hope that you would have a qualified tuner do your car regardless of the particular power adder. Sadly, the aftermarket is littered with no tallent azz clowns pretending to be tuners. That has nothing to do with the kits or even the type of kit.

Like what? I'm running the same X kit as the other guys running great times at the track.

My turbo kit has been 100% reliable. The trans and valve spring had nothing to do with the power adder. I drive my car nearly every day in the summer including trips up north where I get upwards of 30 MPG.

Yea - probably around $30K which equates to paying roughly $100 per hp.

Cheers,

Mark

On the LPE website, a stage 2 package is $26,000. Add a boost controller for $1,000 and you have 700rwhp for $27,000.

unbeliveable350 06-15-2006 07:26 PM

I know people that have installed the lingenfelter twin turbo set up and they have had great results. They had good boost and the cost was reasonable. :thumbs: If you do go with a twin turbo set up go with the lingenfelter, It won't let you down. :cheers:

msb184 06-15-2006 07:59 PM

nOOb

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
What the....? The kit is fully installed for 18K, with warranty. It won't be breaking like the 1200 hp C6, so don't get too worried about it there n00b.:rolleyes:

1200hp???... oh I forgot..They didn't come to race the dyno so they held that 225000 beast down to what 772hp?? If somebody paid 225000 for that car they should throw in AIR FORCE 1 as a tow vehicle. How long do you get to use a name to justify a price that was 3 times as much as the GTO that was nearly as fast(and left with the rear gear it came with)?? oh ..I forgot you get a 2yr warranty. Was that the whole car or just the turbos that cost 2k each? I guess I am a nOOb my 1st vette was a '67, I missed the great investment you made in the 30k LT-5 option.Does DDS mean dentist?? bottom line.....why are people trying so hard to not state the obvious..LPE is very very expensive. In the 2 times I called, once for a fuel pump & once for a boost-a-pump the parts person(s) was rude,snotty & both times acted like they were doing me a favor. When I called to buy the elec. pump I asked what I was buying and was told" you give me the card # & I will send the pump. We have spent time researching fuel systems, I'm not giving you the information until you give me a card #." No price,no brand just blind faith .NOBODY is that great. People do snicker about LPE prices.

Rob@ChampionMotors 06-15-2006 11:05 PM

I would say the TTi X kit. EarlH, RoadRebel, EnderZ, Vetzilla, Torxilla, Bogielake, and myself are all local to you and have the X kit. Plenty of cars to check out as well you'll have access to the best installer and tuner in the area.

Cheers,

Mark

Bringing my car to Dr. Phil on saturday for his custom tune. I have a bunch of friend with vettes 03 Z06 with ECS 447, 01 Z06 with MTI 422,
01 Z06 with a 402 and Maggie, 01 Z06 with Autoworx 427, 98 coupe with procharger and NOS, 99 coupe with 402 and single T76 turbo. And one friend with a 00 mustang with twin GT-35r twin turbos. Fastest guy out is the maggie 402 with a 10.9 @ 131. All these cars have no cats and are very loud. My car has cats and is very quiet. My stock Z02 with TTI stage I and 6.0L heads. went 11.17 @ 131.8 and dynoed 577 rwhp.
My new combination is a 402 with TTI X kit. I am hoping for close to 800 rwhp and low 10's @ over 140 mph. Some of my friends are none believers of turbos. I am out to prove to them that turbos are king .:cheers:

Supercharger John 06-16-2006 12:29 AM

It's more than $18,000. That isn't including any extras like a heavy duty clutch, transmission, hardened output shaft, differential strut brace, tires, brakes, boost or fuel gagues, boost controller, etc, etc. That price also doesn't appear to include a forged short block.

I'm sure LPE has a good product, but for that type of money I'd expect one hell of a lot more than 470-500 rwhp. For $20-25K I'd want at _least_ 600 rwhp and a forged short block to go with it.

Just my .02.

:iagree:

Supercharger John 06-16-2006 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Boost Master
My new combination is a 402 with TTI X kit. I am hoping for close to 800 rwhp and low 10's @ over 140 mph. Some of my friends are none believers of turbos. I am out to prove to them that turbos are king .:cheers:

:cheers: :thumbs: :D :cool: :flag:

1%r 06-16-2006 12:43 AM

Tim Dwyer and Ed Potter @ LPE are great people as I have worked with them over the years and they always have stepped up to the plate.

Is LPE more money..................yes but your also paying for the years of R&D for a proven product.

I'm running a custom TTix kit done by ECS. I went far above what LPE offers in their $25K package but had alot more done than what they offer in their upgrade.

I'm @ over 750 to the wheels with the ability to turn up the wick.

The car has been on the road for over a year and runs like a clock. :D

TTi & ECS :thumbs: :smash:

gdphillipsvette 06-16-2006 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by jersey jay
Tim Dwyer and Ed Potter @ LPE are great people as I have worked with them over the years and they always have stepped up to the plate.

Is LPE more money..................yes but your also paying for the years of R&D for a proven product.

I'm running a custom TTix kit done by ECS. I went far above what LPE offers in their $25K package but had alot more done than what they offer in their upgrade.

I'm @ over 750 to the wheels with the ability to turn up the wick.

The car has been on the road for over a year and runs like a clock. :D

How much did you spend?

GR8-LIFE 06-16-2006 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by jersey jay

this is a good point. You are paying for a proven product. Still, LPE has come down in pricing a bit. They actually went up (Just after my package in late '01) then they came down. I've had my car since Feb 2002. Thats 4.5 years. The only problem I had was due to my own fault. The oil lines were pressed up against the turbos and i had oil leaks.

But I roadcourse the car and I can tell you for sure things move around in those kinds of conditions. You get up to very high speeds and subject the car to some decent lateral g's in the turns. Stuff definitley moves around and loosens up.

Since the repair a year ago. I have been watching those lines carefully. Had to tighen one up since. Tracking the car requires you to keep a wrench on these things. Also, IMO, roadcoursing the LPE TT really shows how versatile the package is, much more so than the drag strip because the turbos are constantly engaging over a continued 20, 30, or 40 minute session (or however long you are out there before you decide to take a break) and in the heat as well. I was told that 1 day of all out roadcoursing can put more strain on an engine than 3000 street miles. Thats probably why they recommend changing the oil after every event. The viscosity just gets broken down so fast on the track

I'm not sure if JL had roadracing in mind when he engineered his cars. Most roadracers are N/A. But I do know for a fact that JL was a big roadracer and drove Turbo cars on roadcourses.

mdhmi 06-16-2006 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by onfire
On the LPE website, a stage 2 package is $26,000. Add a boost controller for $1,000 and you have 700rwhp for $27,000.

Your warranty goes right out the window with the boost controller, which in my opinion invalidates the incentive to pay Lingenfelter prices.

The $27,000 does not include a hardened trans, clutch, and so on and so on. It's probably closer to $35,000 for the complete package. The same sort of deal with their 427 would be almost double that.

In reference to the negative customer service post -- my dealings with LPE have been limited to a cam and hardened output shaft purchase as well as some engine building quotes.

Both Tim and Ed were very professional and unlike almost everyone else I purchased parts from for my 06 Redeployment they actually followed up with me. With *every* other vendor I've worked with on my buildup I've had to initiate all contact - even for things like status, tracking number, etc. Sorry - when people spend this kind of money a simple email status would be nice.

Earl H 06-16-2006 11:11 AM

Everyone has their own definition of value. Everyone has their idea of what they want their car to be. LPE has definitely earned the reputation. I bought my car back when they were the only game in town for turbos and when there weren't many options for heads, cams, reliable non-stock displacment blocks. At the time S/C's were pretty much the only option of FI that didn't cost a fortune. Times have changed dramatically. We have three or four manufacturers of aftermarket heads. We have OEM large bore blocks and heads available. Hell there are more turbo kits now than S/C kits :thumbs: . Some will prefer the simplicity of an LPE setup. It has its place. It will be the closest thing to fill up and go as you can get. All FI setups have their issues crop up. MarkTTC5 has stated that very well. It is to be expected. If you want to make big power without writing a $40K check, LPE isn't the most economical option. There are many proven kits out there and an unlimited number of combos available for anyone that takes the time to look and do research. Its not cutting edge stuff anymore. The cool things is, it doesn't have to cost a fortune to do it. The important thing is and I've said this before...figure out what matters to you most and build a combo that meets those requirements. There are a lot of people bashing the STS. There were people that bashed my first turbo system. At the end of the day they all can make good power. My first setup up made 750rwhp on meth. When choosing a system, it really comes down to budget, driving style, personal preferences and the ability to deal with the tradeoffs of a given system. Some guys make the buy on impulse and then defend the decision to death even when its obvious that they didn't get what they "wanted" or expected.

GR8-LIFE 06-16-2006 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Earl H
Some guys make the buy on impulse and then defend the decision to death even when its obvious that they didn't get what they "wanted" or expected.

:rofl: Thats so true.

msb184 06-16-2006 04:10 PM

Money

some guys blow their money & then spend time trying to convince others to do the same(when their not day trading):)