CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   '98 'vette for sale, 3500 original miles! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/1657428-98-vette-for-sale-3500-original-miles.html)

BATM4N 03-24-2007 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Black 'n Tan (Post 1559506684)
I'd rather buy a car with "normal" miles at a reasonable price, than an 8 year old unused car, it seems like you are "asking " for trouble.

But what if this car had been in one of those "bubbles" all those years:toetap: Wouldn't that be like a new car?

Vetteguy53081 03-24-2007 01:32 AM

sounds risky

Nice price for the mileage, but why not driven ???

FactoryRaceCar 03-24-2007 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe (Post 1559512980)
Price is right for that car with those low miles. :yesnod:

:iagree:

kg54trains 03-24-2007 06:48 AM

Fool me once....

Originally Posted by C5naples (Post 1559513107)
If I was looking for a car I would by that one in a heartbeat, have it checked out and enjoy it. Funny, many here recommend people buying cars with over 100,000 miles. Give me the low mileage one anyday.

Cars with special mileage high/low have the same problem..How were they cared for by the owner. Low milage cars still need to be regularly serviced by time not mileage. High mileage cars need additional help as the car ages. All internal parts of an engine were designed to be lubed by the engine running not seating. Long periods of a car seating are not good. Example is the A/C, by now the seals are cracked if the car was not started and the a/c run on a regular schedule.

:willy:

Black 'n Tan 03-24-2007 08:46 AM

If the car was a vert auto, I think I would seriously look at it, and work that price into the reasonable range. I'm sure there might be some minor issues from sitting, but really being garaged and all, the interior and paint looked and smelled showroom fresh. I told the dealer at his earliest convenience to check on the battery and make sure it hadn't leaked.

Although, my wife reminded me WE HAVE TOO MANY CARS/BIKES and I've been a good boy and started dropping $1K principal on our mortgage each month. So if I'm a good boy and pay the mortgage off in 7 years could I use that cash on....a C-6 Z06? Or maybe, a C-7? H'mmmmmm.

John

Mickbee 03-24-2007 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dave1998 (Post 1559509478)
There are a lot of lowball price throwers on this sight and I do not agree it would be an easy sell at 19K.

I agree on a few points:

The seals aren't going to dry up and spring leaks. If the car is garaged and maintained (proper air, oil changes, etc) there shouldn't be any issues.

Any serious buyer would gladly pay more than the joke kbb and Ednmunds prices as they can't compare and extremely low mile car to an average mileage of 80k miles.

Even if a buyer paid $3k over the "book values" they would be so far ahead of the game as they would not have to incur many of the sunk maintenence costs, wear and tear (paint, glass, interior, etc) of a higher mile car. Especially a car like a Vette that could have been driven extremely hard for 20k miles. I looked at a Vette with 20k miles and the GM service records were staggering and the car was clearly driven hard will close inspection and backed up my the records.

The "Drive it like you stole it" quote is cool, but not for the next owner. :crazy:

JMHO

Don't get me wrong. The cars are meant to be driven and built for speed. It doesn't matter what it is; if driven (as meant to be) things are going to break/wear out in time. More so if driven hard for a long time, something is going to break sooner.
Not my opinion, fact. ;)

Sounds like a good deal for someone. :)

Hotrodzz3 03-24-2007 11:32 AM

I bought my 99 a year and a half ago with 3,300 miles on it and paid a whole lot more than that. It now has just over 12,000 on it with out 1 single problem. I did buy it from a dealer but on the other hand did drive away with a 3 year 36,000 mile GMAC warranty. Compared to the $66,000 they wanted for an 05 vert at the time I felt I stole the car. :D

oldschoolvette 03-24-2007 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tigershark3 (Post 1559506670)
I'd be concerned about a car that old w/ only 3500 miles. IMHO it sat too much in one spot. $.02

:iagree:

~Maverick 03-24-2007 12:55 PM

If the Car has high mileage, everyone screams "the mileage is toooo high" If the Car has LOW mileage, everyone screams "the Mileage is toooo low!"
I've bought BOTH high and low mileage 'Vettes, I JUST bought a 2000 with 3300 miles on it and it's run absolutely problem free for the last 2 months...and I bought a 67 with 212k mileage once, it had problems but they were problems I EXPECTED to encounter with such mileage. I have a 73 C3 right now that has 88k on it, but you'd be hard pressed to find evidence of those miles, it's so clean you can eat off it.The simple Truth of the matter is that regardless of WHAT you buy, check it out and don't buy it unless you feel good about the purchase, be that Car, House..or even the Girl you're going to Marry! :thumbs: (this last one can REALLLLY cost you if your not careful!!)

~Maverick

Virtual Geezer 03-24-2007 01:49 PM

If had the $18K to spare, I'd be on a plane today. And would probably be driving the Vette home tomorrow. IMHO, that's a real bargain..... :thumbs: