CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Is the crossbar worth the money? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/187948-is-the-crossbar-worth-the-money.html)

XtremeVette 11-27-2001 12:57 AM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (84c4)

84C4 iam with the others..on the GP...in the springtime....sounds like a good deal to me.... for me...guess I gonna have to do my homework....i own a 1990....and see that there is two models....

anybody else interested in the springtime to go in GP with me....please post....iam talking like March or April.....

jeff

4GTWRK 11-27-2001 01:25 AM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (XtremeVette)

Jeff,

I guess I need to clarify myself on the GP. I was thinking more like between now and Christmas. I have several Dealers wanting to market the Cross-bar starting in the spring, so I doubt that I will be able to deal as easily then as I can now. I'll have to protect their business investment in their inventory and they might not like me underselling them. I hope everybody understands.

Dave

4GTWRK 11-27-2001 02:10 AM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (GRX)

Something else to get rid of the flex.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=189949

TravisD 11-27-2001 10:35 AM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (mackeyred96)

Erik, I sure they add some strength but I don't understand why anyone who races would only want to do 1/2 the job and not get a REAL roll bar.
ps, I have a 5 point roll bar.
In SCCA SoloII Stock classes the Harness bars are legal - as long as you're USING THEM FOR HARNESSES. At this time only bolt-in cages are legal, and they all seem to be sub-optimal from what everyone says. Weld-in cages are not legal.

Sometimes choices like this depend on what kind of racing you're doing

notbob 11-27-2001 02:56 PM

84c4,

How about a Combo Price instead for the Camber Bar & Cross-Bar?

My car won't be out of the shop till post X-Mas (early January), and I don't mind waiting for the install docs & stuff to get finished, but I'd be more interested in a cost savings for buying both bars as a strengthening thing. I wouldn't mind being on a pre-order or the the what not.
I just figure with as much more HP I'm going to be laying down strengthening the chassis might not be a bad idea.

Thanks,
Bob

ShawnZR-1 11-27-2001 04:13 PM

I'm interested in a GP. $250 sounds reasonable for a product that can stiffen up our coupes! Anyone else?

Eric Fraser 11-27-2001 04:46 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (92Shawnster)

I'm interested..

I'm interested in a GP. $250 sounds reasonable for a product that can stiffen up our coupes! Anyone else?

RED90SIXLT1 11-27-2001 07:45 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (GRX)

I agree with GSX ...All the bar is going to do is move the flex to another part of the chassis. In time you end up with bigger problems. Now, instead of the entire car flexing "a little"....a little of the car will be flexing "alot". That chassis that is sitting below the crossbar is still gonna flex. All the bar does is grab the car in the middle and pinch it. What about in front of and behind...its still gonna flex. How long has the bar been in use and are there any longterm tests that have been done?

KNCRSR5R 11-27-2001 07:59 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (RED90SIXLT1)

Ok........Mackey.......

I would LOVE to have a FULL Cage in my car....but I have never been in a situation that would totally warrent a Full Cage. My drving time consists of 70% normal driving and 30% racing. I AutoX and have been to several track days at some near by tracks. Now IF I was going to enter the vette in the CHIMNEY ROCK HILL CLIMB....then a full cage would be warrented and MANDATORY. As I am most likely right on this....most forum memebrs are much like myself, and use their car in a similar manner. Now for those who can enduldge in the time and the money it takes to do more RACING than this...BY ALL MEANS......GET A FULL CAGE.

This product fits a market that the FULL CAGE will never fill......70% of all Corvette Drivers.

This Bar does what I need it to do, performs well, and fits my budget. What more can you ask for???

Easy solution..........Decide what type of driving you will be doing in your Corvette...then choose the product that fits all your needs.......if you need a full cage...this is not the product for you! I thought this was a common sense desision myself. :yesnod: :cheers:

4GTWRK 11-27-2001 08:14 PM

The GP is a go!

If anybody else wants in, please contact me this week. I have to keep track of this so I can settle up with Troy.

Thanks,
Dave Cooper http://www.r-dracing.com
573-756-6954

[Modified by 84c4, 7:20 PM 11/27/2001]

Thud 11-28-2001 04:07 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (RED90SIXLT1)

I agree with GSX ...All the bar is going to do is move the flex to another part of the chassis. In time you end up with bigger problems. Now, instead of the entire car flexing "a little"....a little of the car will be flexing "alot". That chassis that is sitting below the crossbar is still gonna flex. All the bar does is grab the car in the middle and pinch it. What about in front of and behind...its still gonna flex. How long has the bar been in use and are there any longterm tests that have been done?
I don't see how that's different from say, putting the roof on the car. Does putting the roof on the car also cause a little to flex "a lot" and affect long-term structural integrity? Granted, the roof locks the front to the rear as well.
The argument here seems to be that all that flexing energy has to go somewhere so obviously it's going to a weaker point in the car. Maybe, but it's also going back to the road, since the chassis doesn't absorb as much energy in turns by way of chassis flex (essentially storing energy like a spring).
I think only the most extreme flex conditions would show a transfer of the point of weakness that comes from using a cross-bar. Basically snapping something instead of bending somewhere else. Something like that might manifest itself in a major accident.

Hardcorvette 11-28-2001 05:09 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (SLOWBUSA)

Question, can you still use your stock seat/shoulder belts after the Crossbar installation?

NASCAR314 11-28-2001 06:28 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (Hardcorvette)

Question, can you still use your stock seat/shoulder belts after the Crossbar installation?
Yes, That's what I do. Works fine with the stock belts, they stay where they were at originally. I use the CROSS-BAR for added ridgity.

Hardcorvette 11-29-2001 01:08 PM

The GP is a go!

If anybody else wants in, please contact me this week. I have to keep track of this so I can settle up with Troy.

Thanks,
573-756-6954

Count me in!

Justin Scherer 11-29-2001 01:37 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (Hardcorvette)

Before I jump in on this order;

How much improvement can be expected with the top (glass top) in place?

Justin
'92 6-speed, ripper, gs brakes

4GTWRK 11-29-2001 02:03 PM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (Justin Scherer)

Justin,

The people that have replied to this post can best answer your question, but everyone of them have told me they can feel the differance just driving around town, even with the top on. I have an old 84 with 153,000 miles on it that use to creek when I backed out of the driveway. When I installed the Cross-bar, that went away. I know that I'm bias, but the car just feels more solid.

Dave

Aggravated4life 11-30-2001 02:20 AM

Is there a 30 day unconditional money back guarantee? If so, ill buy one.If the product works that well, then a guarantee is a no brainer.If I buy one and not satisfied for some reason,I dont want to be out 250-350 bucks.
Let me know.
Thanks!
:)

96VegasVette 11-30-2001 02:54 AM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (Bill's86Coupe)

Is it a pain in the rear to install?

95Purple 11-30-2001 03:42 AM

The GP is a go!

Thanks,
573-756-6954

Count me in.
Whats the price with the Lap belt kit?

4GTWRK 11-30-2001 09:17 AM

Re: Is the crossbar worth the money? (Bill's86Coupe)

Bill's86Coupe,

If your not happy with it, I'll make it right with you. The only bar's I've ever had come back were trade-ins when someone trades their car for a newer model. Then they want a new Cross-bar for it as well.

Give me a call, I've tried your email, but it does not work.

Dave