CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   [Z06] 04 Z06 shocks on an 02Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/1981182-04-z06-shocks-on-an-02z06.html)

vms4evr 04-02-2008 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by dwjz06 (Post 1564813701)
Did you post on this? What happened? You ok? I was wondering where you went. I hope your ok. Don

Hey Don,

Thanks. Got totaled by a tractor trailer out on the interstate. Took out the car bad. Shook me up good. I was 6 weeks post back surgery at the time. Kind of a mess there. Car is settled. Picking one up this weekend.

Graham

thehammer69 04-02-2008 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ (Post 1564806499)
I read your post and couldn't agree more. I even posted it at www.ecsracing.com, where we were having a debate over the bilstiens and the 04's. Stiffer shocks make the car skitterish over bumps, curbing and some corners, unsettling the car, and we all know that smooth in roadracing is key, throttle, braking or cornering, and these shocks "are smooth"

I just went and found that thread over at ECSracing. The people who are arguing that the 04 shocks are softer and not as good are being kind of stupid because they are only focused on the medium speed damping of the shock.

You need to explain to them that the shocks damping curve can be broken down into three areas...low speed, medium speed, and high speed (this is shock piston speed and not vehicle speed). They are correct as far as the medium speed damping...the 04 is valved softer in this region which translates into better compliance of bumps that would upset the cars handling. On the other hand, both low and high speed damping are valved firmer on the 04 shocks. This translates into less transitional body roll because of the higher low speed dampening and more road feel because of the firmer high speed damping. This road feel makes the the ride feel firmer because you feel more SMALL sharp edged bumps that don't tend to upset the car.

Hammer

sothpaw2 04-02-2008 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by vms4evr (Post 1564825830)
Hey Don,

Thanks. Got totaled by a tractor trailer out on the interstate. Took out the car bad. Shook me up good. I was 6 weeks post back surgery at the time. Kind of a mess there. Car is settled. Picking one up this weekend.

Graham

Very Sorry to hear that, Graham. Hope you are ok. What a mess--I bet you had to try and pull off any mods because the insurance would only cover the car stock. Hope they at least gave you a decent settlement.

I hate trucks. I drive I-95 everyday in rush but usually not with my Z. I always pass them quickly, never loiter when next to them--someday I'll get a ticket for that & have to explain why I was over the speed limit to pass.

dwjz06 04-02-2008 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by vms4evr (Post 1564825830)
Hey Don,

Graham

Graham,

I hope your back gets sorted out. Post up a pic of the new Z. Did you stay with Silver? Let us know. Take care, Don

Jason 04-02-2008 12:44 PM

Taking off a set of Koni single-adj and putting on a set of 04z.
Will post my very uneducated opinion after next trackday.

Z06Fix 04-02-2008 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 1564830789)
Taking off a set of Koni single-adj and putting on a set of 04z.
Will post my very uneducated opinion after next trackday.

Did you not like them?

I ended up going with the Bilstein sports and I am very happy with the upgrade.

Jason 04-02-2008 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Z06Fix (Post 1564832313)
Did you not like them?

Getting the car TTA legal. ;)

Bill Dearborn 04-03-2008 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan L (Post 1564764054)
:willy:

Again, regardless of what all of these copied and pasted quotes from Wikipedia say, I am talking about real world results reported by guys like me and you.

What are the published damping rates of all of the shocks mentioned? I think you will be surprised. :eek:

Maybe you should listen to what the GM engineers have to say. I stood in the crowd at Corvettes of Carlisle in 2003 and listened to the engineers tell me and other Z owners that we should upgrade our shocks to the new 04 shocks due to the improved calibration. They said the performance improvement we would get would be signifigant and I imagine their real world results were measured and documented.

Bill

cyber-vette 04-03-2008 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1564841568)
Maybe you should listen to what the GM engineers have to say. I stood in the crowd at Corvettes of Carlisle in 2003 and listened to the engineers tell me and other Z owners that we should upgrade our shocks to the new 04 shocks due to the improved calibration. They said the performance improvement we would get would be signifigant and I imagine their real world results were measured and documented.

Bill

:iagree:

I too was at that Carlisle tent meeting and I just installed the 04 shocks on my 02 Z06 and WOW what a difference. I took a trip from Tampa to St. Pete yesterday and really noticed a difference. The turns and bumps from the bridges showed the revalving difference. Much more responsive.

JG853 04-04-2008 11:43 AM

I changed my 02Z shocks to 04Z shocks. It is worth the money in my opinion.

JG853

max'svette 10-12-2008 04:55 PM

Do the 04 Z06 shocks improve the ride quality my car is awefully harsh over bumps.

cyber-vette 10-12-2008 05:23 PM

As your stock shocks wear they will become softer not harder. 04 Z06 shocks are retuned and I like the ride of the 04 Z06 shocks better.

tlc0706 10-13-2008 11:44 PM

Good thread....:thumbs:

bmacZO6 10-15-2008 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by max'svette (Post 1567439465)
Do the 04 Z06 shocks improve the ride quality my car is awefully harsh over bumps.

Yes, that is exactly where you will notice the difference.

Under acceleration and through a turn my 02 would move laterally when I would hit a mid-corner bump. That tendency is greatly reduced with 04 shocks.