CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   How to remove metal shavings from headers, catted midpipe, and connecting pipes? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2035687-how-to-remove-metal-shavings-from-headers-catted-midpipe-and-connecting-pipes.html)

PAUZAO 05-26-2008 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by clydetrb (Post 1565629304)
Dude, I have to meet you. I will be at the BG :smash: next year, April 23-25. Hope to see you there. I have an AO C6 like you, so I think I will bring my JSB Z instead :lol: :lol: :leaving:

...or, you can take a trip to California. :thumbs:

PAUZAO 05-26-2008 10:58 PM

Back to my original post. Would it be OK to to do this?

Rage@AutoBuffs 05-26-2008 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by PAUZAO (Post 1565629274)
What in the world happened to your back glass?

Driving down the road, and this fence ran in front of me........:leaving:

I took one of his post out, but its still standing! :yesnod:

clydetrb 05-26-2008 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by PAUZAO (Post 1565628993)
Well, we both know who..... :rofl: If not, let us keep the mystery alive my friend. Let us just say that we both shall have the same first name. :thumbs:

:confused: :confused: But my name isn't Richard :confused: :confused:

PAUZAO 05-27-2008 12:01 AM

Ttt

PAUZAO 05-27-2008 05:30 PM

Ttt

Rage@AutoBuffs 05-27-2008 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by PAUZAO (Post 1565630157)
Ttt

Originally Posted by PAUZAO (Post 1565639327)
Ttt

Double TTT......for your own thread......you're killin me....:rofl:

I bet from your lack of responses, most people are just happy that the fumes escape out the tips. You will never get to enjoy your car if you continue to sweat the small stuff.:thumbs:

PAUZAO 05-27-2008 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by roadrage1 (Post 1565640316)
Double TTT......for your own thread......you're killin me....:rofl:

I bet from your lack of responses, most people are just happy that the fumes escape out the tips. You will never get to enjoy your car if you continue to sweat the small stuff.:thumbs:

Seems like you are on a short trigger and ready for retirement. :rofl: I e-mailed Kooks. Actually, this is not a small issue as it appears. There are a TON of metal shavings that can easily clog the honeycomb material in the CATS, which can in turn overheat a motor. Again, if I were running a NON-CAT off road set-up, I would not be worried as the shavings would get blown out the rear pipes, but we NEED CATS in Cali.

Rage@AutoBuffs 05-27-2008 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by PAUZAO (Post 1565640388)
Seems like you are on a short trigger and ready for retirement. :rofl: I e-mailed Kooks. Actually, this is not a small issue as it appears. There are a TON of metal shavings that can easily clog the honeycomb material in the CATS, which can in turn overheat a motor. Again, if I were running a NON-CAT off road set-up, I would not be worried as the shavings would get blown out the rear pipes, but we NEED CATS in Cali.

Nah, you're entertaining, like licking anti freeze, I just can't stop! So, why not send your headers back....they aren't the only game in town?

So post a poll in CA section with any one that owns Kooks headers, and see how many had problems with metal shavings? I bet the number is minisquel, if any. I ran Kooks with cats on my C5 and lived in CA, never had a problem.

PAUZAO 05-27-2008 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by roadrage1 (Post 1565640504)
Nah, you're entertaining, like licking anti freeze, I just can't stop! So, why not send your headers back....they aren't the only game in town?

So post a poll in CA section with any one that owns Kooks headers, and see how many had problems with metal shavings? I bet the number is minisquel, if any. I ran Kooks with cats on my C5 and lived in CA, never had a problem.

Well, since the metal shavings appear loose. I just need to make sure that I can run a garden hose through them, in order to get rid of the shavings in the headers themselves. This way, once installed, the shavings will not get lodged in the CATS.

wayback 05-27-2008 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by roadrage1 (Post 1565640504)
Nah, you're entertaining, like licking anti freeze, I just can't stop! So, why not send your headers back....they aren't the only game in town.

:rofl:

I have LGM headders with cats and did not wash them. 18K trouble free miles. Don't over analize everything, nothing to worry about. Kooks would not ship headders if they were going to ruin a eng.

Rage@AutoBuffs 05-27-2008 06:54 PM

Why a garden hose (water)??? Why not an air gun or shop vac?

wayback 05-27-2008 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by PAUZAO (Post 1565640526)
Well, since the metal shavings appear loose. I just need to make sure that I can run a garden hose through them, in order to get rid of the shavings in the headers themselves. This way, once installed, the shavings will not get lodged in the CATS.

Does your car produce water as a byproduct of the combustion eng.?
Does it hurt the stainless steel pipes of your car?

Think man.......water does not hurt stainless steel.:willy: :willy:

And this has been answered in this thread already. Why 2 TTT's?:toetap:

NORTY 05-27-2008 07:04 PM

If you have chips in the primaries and collectors, then you might be able to use *extrudehone* to clear the bores.

*A media that grinds IDs.

wayback 05-27-2008 07:19 PM

On second thought you might wat to get a metalurgy report first to find out what percent iron is in the headders. Just to be safe.:thumbs:

hulksdaddy 05-27-2008 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by wayback (Post 1565640919)
On second thought you might wat to get a metalurgy report first to find out what percent iron is in the headders. Just to be safe.:thumbs:

:lol: Just make sure they're wearing their HAZMAT protection!:rofl:

PAUZAO 05-27-2008 07:40 PM

Do not quit your day job guys, as you are not cut out to be comedians. I will run some tap water and a mild degreaser in the inner tube primaries, as this should get rid of all loose metal shavings :thumbs:

wayback 05-27-2008 07:44 PM

Were not funny? Come on...

Should not hurt it a bit.

hulksdaddy 05-27-2008 07:47 PM

I thought it was pretty funny. Not :lolg: ,but definitely a little :lol:

PAUZAO 05-27-2008 07:55 PM

:grouphug: OKAY. I guess you guys may be a little funny. :rofl: