CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   my experience with dynamat and reducing drone---with actual dB testing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2234898-my-experience-with-dynamat-and-reducing-drone-with-actual-db-testing.html)

95blklsc 01-27-2009 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by dave pawlowski (Post 1568711680)
The OP showed about 3 db reduction after the dynamat installation. Trouble is, 3db, while noticeable, is not extremely dramatic. You need 10db to be half as loud. I don't think that is practical with add-on dampeners.

You are wrong. 3dB is half power.....

Here is a reference is case you want to look at it....
http://www.testeq.com/charts/decibels.lasso

The problem is we also hear sound is a log scale (dB). So although 3dB is a significant power reduction it doesn't sound dramatic to our ears. :bigears

TLK 01-27-2009 03:13 PM

At this point, it's cheaper and easier just to dump the BB fusions and get yourself a quieter exhaust. I think what you found is that only serious mass loading, lead septums, etc is going to make a dent and you probably aren't interested in the cost and weight.

bent 01-27-2009 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by TLK (Post 1568716111)
At this point, it's cheaper and easier just to dump the BB fusions and get yourself a quieter exhaust. I think what you found is that only serious mass loading, lead septums, etc is going to make a dent and you probably aren't interested in the cost and weight.

you might be right, but I am not ready to throw in the towel just yet. If the sould levels don't continue to increase, I think I would be happy with another 2-3 db drop in the spl. If I can achieve this with a cargo mat and the treatment of the underside of the car, then I will be satisfied. As far as adding weight, I may have added 20lbs so far, and this weight is located directly over the rear end, any effects of this would hopefully aid in that last little bit of traction that I am always seeking. If I were to become that serious about weight, I can always run the fuel tanks 3 gallons lower to offset the difference.

Silver99v6 01-28-2009 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by cmonkey713 (Post 1568687704)
The rear tire noise is the main reason to sound deaden. If you are still running the Goodyear runcraps the tire noise is terrible. I have Borlas, longtubes and cats, the drone is very noticeable but the noise from the rear tires is much more annoying. If you have a bone stock C-6 coupe the tire noise is very annoying at speeds above 60 MPH.Forget about the exhaust it's the tires that drive me crazy. :thumbs:

:iagree: After sound deadening mine, I can't hear a semi truck next to me, but I can hear the freakin' tires! It's so annoying. :crazy:

davekp78 01-28-2009 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by 95blklsc (Post 1568713319)
You are wrong. 3dB is half power.....

Here is a reference is case you want to look at it....
http://www.testeq.com/charts/decibels.lasso

The problem is we also hear sound is a log scale (dB). So although 3dB is a significant power reduction it doesn't sound dramatic to our ears. :bigears

I'm not talking about power. As I said, as you said, 3db is not dramatic.

396375 02-02-2009 11:39 AM

I have NP with exhaust noice or drone.My C5 is livable around town under 45 MPH.The problem I want to clear up is road noice on the highway at 60 & 70 MPH.I have Fauken tires and it's bad enough to affect the radio no matter how loud you have it.Any suggestions.Is the stuff from Home Depot or lowes a waste of time?I just did the inside of my drivers door.I taped it in place.Does glueing it make a difference?
Thanks.

AORoads 02-02-2009 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by gota07 (Post 1568696801)
I'm going to make a guess that NVH stands for noise/vibration harmonics.

In car-land, NVH stands for "noise, vibration, harshness."

Joe_Planet 02-02-2009 09:30 PM

Coming from someone with permanent hearing damage you should get rid of that loud exhaust, its not worth it..

396375 02-02-2009 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Silver99v6 (Post 1568723799)
:iagree: After sound deadening mine, I can't hear a semi truck next to me, but I can hear the freakin' tires! It's so annoying. :crazy:

What material did you use?
Thanks.

Red Rochester 02-02-2009 10:06 PM

Very informative now what is the best material to use?

2MuchRiceMakesMeSick 06-17-2009 12:36 AM

im supprized you saw that much different with only 12 sqft in an 80 sqft cabin

vetracer 06-17-2009 01:05 AM

I've done several vehicles I owned (Dynamat Xtreme) I did my C6 street car from the rear hatch seal all the way to the dash and everything in between including the doors. Probably added 50 lbs of the stuff. It will not get rid of drone, at least not enough to justify the $$ and effort IMO if eliminating drone is the goal. Only changing the Borla to a Corsa got rid of it on mine. As far as the tire noise, it is quieter than before, and doesn't sound that loud at all to me. It has the Z tires and suspension on it.

If you only do a section of the car it has been my experience that the noise will shift to the areas that have not been done where it can still resonate.